Journal of Alexandre Laxley

25th Sun of Second Astral Moon

I did some running around down in Treespeak today, mostly through Blessed Bud. Those folks down at Treespeak Stables had me hunting these little creatures, Mitelings. They said they startle the Chocobos. I've no mind to disagree with them. They raise the things, not me. I've never even been on one before. But these Mitelings weren't as small as that stablehand made them out to be! These things were the size of large dogs! They reminded me too much of spiders. Hate the things. I figured I'd post up in a tree to pick them off before realizing they could probably just climb it. So I did what any brave man facing down a horrid creature would do. I ran. I kept taking a shot or two, running away for a while, taking a shot, running away again. I know it's not the most glorious method out there, but it's not like I had traps on me or anything. It was more annoying that their shells are so rounded. My arrows kept grazing if I didn't get a good shot. But eventually I killed a few of them and went back. They seemed pleased enough. Those things aren't even fit to be meat. I like the courier work better, when I can get. Just walk somewhere, drop something off. It's easier that way. I don't have to fear for my life, wondering if that thing will finally drop before it gets to me. And I don't have to end theirs. I think I'm going to take a seat somewhere comfortable. Try and get my mind clear.

I need to make a quick, little note to myself. DON'T POP A SQUAT IN A FOREST YOU KNOW IS AN ACTIVE WARZONE! One of those damned Ixal caught me sitting, posted up against a malmstone. He couldn't resist easy pickings like that, I guess, because he put an arrow through my shoulder! I had to run back to Gridania and get some healing. My gil pouch is going to be hurting from paying those bills for a while. I'm just glad those long legs don't carry them as fast as you'd think they might.

I guess I got back at those Ixal. A sentry tasked me with taking a few of them down. I said that I didn't really like the thought of that, but the pay was pretty good. The go down easier than I thought they would. They're big targets, easy to hit, and their scales aren't any tougher than flesh. At least not enough to make a difference to an arrow. They go down as easily as any man would. Their face, though. They do have faces, as opposed to what some of the Gridanians would have you think. They twisted up in the same fear anyone else would have when an arrow comes from out of nowhere. The same way when they know they are going to die. I don't like it. I'm going to take some time. Think about some things. Wait out this rain. I might stick to that courier work for a while.

Edited by Mastiffmind
Additions