Questions about creating backstories for RP characters

Firalia

I'm not super experienced in the whole roleplaying scene, particularly in games, but I'm planning on trying it out.

I have quite a few OCs with meticulously planned backstories, and I'm going to write up AU versions of a couple of them for RP where they aren't WoLs/Azem, etc. I wanted to ask a couple questions about how people go about doing this and what's generally accepted among the community.

1. Is it alright to have characters in romantic relationships with NPCs?
  2. Can you have a character whose Ancient counterpart was Azem, or another person of importance, or is that treated similarly to "everyone can't be the WoL"?
  3. Is there anything in particular you would avoid? Anything to think about specifically?

Feel free to share stories about how you came up with RP versions of your characters, I'd love to hear them!

Edited by Firalia
Formatting and tags

I guess it depends what you're going for. If you're doing open world RP in game where you're engaging with strangers or large amounts of people, you of course can do as you please, but I personally wouldn't advise 1 & 2 and would rather not RP with someone who has incorporated either of those things into their character. If you're just doing out-of-game RP threads with others or RPing in game privately with friends then it's fine. Maybe not everyone will want to engage with those character concepts, but that's just a matter of finding the people on the same wavelength as you who do.

In relation to the second half of question 3, I've found that the best way to start the foundation of a character is to establish a few key traits and then give them a key 'Want'. For example: Sahja Lunis (my OC) Is practical, loves her family, has a strong sense of duty, and is a bit of a home body. Now her Want is to go home. Then you take an obstacle. In this case, her obstacle is of course not being able to go home because of her duty to the shroud. From there you think about how that would make a character feel, in this case they become grumpy and acerbic to anyone who they feel is stopping them or making their job harder. Once that's done all thays left to do is fill in the blanks.

Edited by Dunce
clarification