The Community

Before I go into what this thread will be about, I want to just explain how long I've been here and things of that sort so I'm not written off as a 'troll'.

I've been lurking these forums since about the end of phase one, maybe phase 2 of the FFXIV beta; now, I know I haven't been here long compared to others and that isn't what I'm trying to say.

I've seen this community, as a whole, do wonderful things with wonderful ideas and great people. Now, sadly, I have also seen some parts of this community act in ways I'd never expect of a small, somewhat close-knit community like this.

Please, do not think I am typing this with ANY ill intent, I'm not. I love this community, or what it was a few days ago. I feel like the 'server vote', which I supported; which of the two I'll be rolling on is irrelevant for this though, is when things really started going a bit haywire. 

What happened to the constant friendliness that everyone had? Why are we at each-other's throats on half of the new threads I've lurked through? Are we not all here for the SAME reason? We're all Rpers and we're a small enough community as is, especially on FFXIV, so regardless of whether you're playing on Gilgamesh or Balmung, remember something, we're all Rpers and we REALLY need to work together, not against each-other.

I think that there's a few reasons why there's this "tenseness" in the community at times.

One, we're all human. We get emotional about things we are passionate about. While we're all passionate about RP here, we all have different ideals when it comes to it, so there's bound to be heated discussions and opinionated debates. The most important thing is when these things occur that we can keep things civil through the disagreement and not take things as personal attacks (and, of course, not actually turn it into an attack on each other).

Two, we're RPers! We are dramatic, creative, and crazy! Many of us have been without our main creative outlet since 1.0 went down and it's starting to really make us cranky!

Three, the server thing is a really sensitive issue for a lot of us. People like me see it as a major deal because it is causing this very real segregation in the community by splitting people onto two servers. I struggle with people who say they want to do the best for the community yet want to go to Gilgamesh. I don't understand it, and tend to get emotional about it. It's just one of those issues where we're never going to agree. We have to just coexist, and it's hard when people keep bringing it up. Now that the server has been selected, I was hoping that things would go back to normal with the addition of being able to direct people who expressed concern over joining Balmung to Gilgamesh. Instead it keeps being brought up like we're treating those who want to be on Gilgamesh poorly and there's like.. a recruitment drive. It's upsetting.

These aren't excuses so much as just reasons behind the madness. Even though we're not all lovey all the time with each other doesn't mean we are not all in this together for the good of RP!

I think that often times, as passionate people, we forget that this is a forum and that what we say here can be misinterpreted. I don't believe that anyone here has any ill will toward anyone else, or toward any other server. The RPC is our family, and seeing a family member leave the nest for other pastures is often a difficult thing to witness.

I'm so happy to have been a part of this community for as long as I have, and to be a moderator here. Surprisingly, even when things get rough around here, it's still a great place to be with people who are generally respectful of each other.

When I first found the RPC, I was a novice RPer. This was the first game I RPd in, and is my home. I was welcomed here with open arms and I hope to extend that welcome to everyone else I encounter here, regardless of where they will be rolling. Everyone here deserves that courtesy, and everyone here needs to remember that they were new to a community once. Coming into a community where it seems that there is dissent is never fun for anyone...and often makes people scared to even say something. I think we all need to remember what it was like, and place that at the forefront of our posts before we make them. We want this place to be welcoming to others as much as it was to us.

:love: Thank you guys for being a great community, and thank you for making my job here awesome!

"When I first found the RPC, I was a novice RPer. This was the first game I RPd in, and is my home. I was welcomed here with open arms and I hope to extend that welcome to everyone else I encounter here, regardless of where they will be rolling. Everyone here deserves that courtesy, and everyone here needs to remember that they were new to a community once. Coming into a community where it seems that there is dissent is never fun for anyone...and often makes people scared to even say something. I think we all need to remember what it was like, and place that at the forefront of our posts before we make them. We want this place to be welcoming to others as much as it was to us."

Couldn't have said it better myself *winks*

You get more flies with honey than vinegar...

Couldn't have said it better myself *winks*

You get more flies with honey than vinegar...

I'm a firm believer in this. If we want to keep the RP community strong, there's no reason to balk over who's going to what server and whatnot. That only makes people get a sour taste over RP as a whole and leave to go play another game or not RP at all. By being mindful of others, and putting our own hurt pride to the side, we allow for the community AS A WHOLE to grow. Screw this server or that, I want to grow the RP community...and wherever the people fall is their own decision. No use in trying to change it. If you want people to come where you are, be as nice and as welcoming as possible. That's how you do it, not by bullying them into one thing or another.

Also, as maaany people have pointed out, there's no reason you can't roll a character on both servers. One may be a dinky level one without awesome gear, but it does open you up to an entirely different set of people if that's what you're afraid of missing out on.

Also, as maaany people have pointed out, there's no reason you can't roll a character on both servers. One may be a dinky level one without awesome gear, but it does open you up to an entirely different set of people if that's what you're afraid of missing out on.

I just want to emphasize this.

I don't really have anything to add.

I've been offering insight, ideas and support because both sides was going to happen. This isn't a war, this isn't meant to be a drama epicenter. Its just two different folks with similar ideas, values, and of course -- the hard sweat of building something up has turned into becoming opposing forces for some weird reason. If this was suppose to be a competition or epeenery contest, the Gilg or whatever server folks coulda started another forum and left a massive division.

However, the intentions of those on Gilgamesh have never been at all hostile. They want to grow and survive just like Balmung. However, I have noticed the tense hostility myself and I think its silly. No one likes ooc drama, save that for in character. Take it for what its worth from someone whose seen countless rise and falls of Rp communities over ... dare I say silliness. With that, I'm going to continue my support for both and help Rock with ideas, while I continue to play on Balmung with my folks, unless things change with servers. Can you imagine the :dazed: if SE decides in a month to name an RP Server? So let's not all lose ourselves over this. People just want to RP, feel wanted, and to have good memories. THERE IS NOTHING wrong with that. I've seen folks already decide not to RP if there was alot of drama and that's not what -either- side wants I hope. This is not to drive people away, God knows I've seen that happen MANY times over the years. So let's not do it here :/

Trust me, I've been in many RP communities in many MMO betas and witnessed and participated in many votes for primary/secondary servers, including version 1.0 of this one....

And this vote drama you witnessed here? By far the friendliest and least dramatic of all.

That's saying something. O_O

It's just simple growing pains.

Gilgamesh has left the nest. They want to establish themselves, so they are trying to be upfront and vocal in their efforts to grow their rp base.

Which frankly, smarts for those who didn't want to see them go. The pain is still fresh. The last thing these people want to see when they log onto the RPC is another post detailing all the great things Gilgamesh will do.

Because frankly, no one ever asked them to leave. Some probably have taken it personally, a judgement on their efforts to create an inclusive environment for all on Balmung.

The truth of the matter is; no one on Balmung did anything wrong, and people on Gilgamesh are just excited at creating something fresh and new, and inherently theirs on Gilgamesh.

The two servers can coexist peacefully, but it takes time to heal the wounds of a painful split. It's like a relationship breakup where you agree to be friends, but want nothing to do with each other for the first month or so.

Eventually, both sides will remember what brought them to this site to begin with; love of RP. At which point members of both sides will reach across the aisle and shake hands.

tl;dr: just give it time, mmkay?