Does size matter?

I know what you're thinking. I can emphatically say that no, this has nothing to do with PVP. That was what you were thinking, right? Anywho, this is a question I'm gearing toward our wonderful, underrated healers who deserve all of the love in the world. I've played many MMO's over the years and tanking has proven time and time again to be my favorite role. I have done a bit of healing, but not in FFXIV. In some games you don't really even need graphics to heal beyond positioning. Being able to see the tank amidst enemies and/or other PC's is irrelevant. I've played other games in which being able to see the tank on your screen is imperative. So how does this work in FFXIV? Is this a case of "the bigger the better" or is the height of your tank irrelevant?

I'm usually playing healers in all of my mmos. 99% of the time I have nametags on and if not, I have at least the tank selected and can spot them that way. So feel free to play which size character as you want, healers will find a way to heal. Usually I'm following at the tank's taiös and dps are the ones that get left behind.

Size is usually an asset in pvp, where smaller character is harder to click. But who would select by clicking ;>

As a healer player (well, crowd control and support are my first loves, but healing works too :) ), I can say that in XIV I've just used focus targeting and F-key targeting to stick to the tank.

So, no, I wouldn't worry about it. Mouseover healers might be annoyed, but they're not as cool as the rest of us, so what they think doesn't matter. :)

This is good to know. In most games I've played you can just select via the party menu. I haven't had a chance to check that out for FFXIV yet, though. Thanks for the feedback!

I also have to say that being tiny in PVP can be a huge boon. Not so much in 1 on 1 matches. But the more people you have running around, the more being small is advantageous. Tab targeting, while generally very useful, can be a pain in the butt when the enemy comes in force. If you can hide behind larger characters, or even inside of them, then you have a sizeable advantage. Of course, if your job is to absorb blows then even in PVP being huge can be advantageous for the exact same reason. You get slugged while your tiny healer hides beneath your avatar's robes.

Aside from just looking kind of silly, size doesn't really effect my game play at all. As others have said, there's the F12 and just selecting their name that you can use to quickly locate them if they're too small. And I don't know about anything that would go wrong with being too big (but it was a big joke in FFXI to see a WHM Galka. :P )

Arguably, it might help marginally if you're healing someone outside of your own party where the targeting mechanics are a little more complicated (I find mouse clicking works best for this, personally). This is probably a less common occurrance anyway, but I thought it might be one worth mentioning. In almost every game I've played it's been as a healer as well. But you should definitely choose the race/type/height/whatever you like best rather than for any sort of advantage. :thumbsup:

I'm already committed to playing the largest Roegadyn possible. In fact, if a 200 size setting existed then I'd pick that. ;) I'm just curious as to whether or not this will have any impact on healers. I find game mechanics intriguing.

I rolled through the first three dungeons today with the duty finder, as a Lalafell CNJ. Character size really didn't matter at all; though I tend to play a little zoomed out more than some might when doing dungeons.