Inquiries about Black Mage character.

The Far East doesn't have exactly the same classes as Eorzea--so it may not be identical to thaumaturgy or called by the same name, but it does exist in the Steppe as we can see with characters like Sadu Dotharl! :) 

20 hours ago, Faye said:

The Far East doesn't have exactly the same classes as Eorzea--so it may not be identical to thaumaturgy or called by the same name, but it does exist in the Steppe as we can see with characters like Sadu Dotharl! :) 

Ah of course!

Though my plan is for the character to eventually make their way to Eorzea. I'm wondering though, how are black mages typically viewed by the larger RP community? Would it be a safer bet to stick to just thaumaturgy instead of black magic?

I'm not sure if this a good way to describe it, but while I want my character to be strong, I don't want them to bend the lore too extensively or have a number of rare or special occurrences happening to justify them being a black mage. I'm aiming for something more grounded. 

38 minutes ago, NineCatte said:

Ah of course!

Though my plan is for the character to eventually make their way to Eorzea. I'm wondering though, how are black mages typically viewed by the larger RP community? Would it be a safer bet to stick to just thaumaturgy instead of black magic?

I'm not sure if this a good way to describe it, but while I want my character to be strong, I don't want them to bend the lore too extensively or have a number of rare or special occurrences happening to justify them being a black mage. I'm aiming for something more grounded. 

Black mages are seen as somewhat taboo in canon. Some RPers stick to that lore while others are more flexible with it. So you could play a black mage if you'd like, but if you are aiming for more grounded, it may be better to just stick to thaumaturgy. 

5 minutes ago, Faye said:

Black mages are seen as somewhat taboo in canon. Some RPers stick to that lore while others are more flexible with it. So you could play a black mage if you'd like, but if you are aiming for more grounded, it may be better to just stick to thaumaturgy. 

Oooh, perhaps I could leave it more ambiguous given the nature of the job in canon. People would have to dig deeper in order to find out.

And hey, even if she isn't one, Sadu demonstrates that even a proficient enough thaumaturge is a force to be reckoned with.