New & ready to try XIV roleplay

inkycompass

Hello all! New here, looking to get into roleplay--you can call me Ink.

I've been playing XIV since early 2020, but I have been RPing in some form or fashion since high school--typically through play-by-post games in forums and on Dreamwidth, as well as some tabletop experience with D&D, Shadowrun, and Quest. So I have been very interested to explore the RP scene in FF14, and have spent a lot of time looking at people's various carrds. Now that I've finished the 4.0 storyline, I feel like I'm in a better position to start. (For one thing, it means I've gone through the Steppe, so I can be confident that my Xaela is lore-compliant.) I'm on the Crystal datacenter, with my main on Balmung and my alt on Mateus.

My backstory for Dalii is a lancer-botanist from the Steppe. She grew up in a tribe that was unwillingly pushed to the mountainous margins ~50 years ago. Her name is taken from the Mongolian word for a type of rhododendron, so my character concept for her is that she is hardy, showy, and slightly toxic. So that means she is a little overconfident and too willing to get into arguments or fights with people (bad thing if you live in the margins and don't want anyone antagonizing your neighbors or leading the youth to do dangerous things). She worked her way to Eorzea after boldly declaring that she was going to become an adventurer and become very strong and very knowledgeable and show everyone that the mountains didn't have to be an enemy, and absolutely nobody argued with her decision, yay! She's been an independent adventurer for a couple of years and has gone back and forth a few times--so she has some experience but there's still plenty of new adventures out there.

My alt is a Duskwight from the Shroud who decided to go and become a gladiator/miner/jeweler in Ul'dah because she grew up in a traditional subterranean village that was forced to disband after the Calamity and being refused help by the Gridanians because (supposedly) the elementals said no. So her plan is to get rich and re-found the village. But I'm still restricted to Ul'dah with her so I probably won't be doing anything RP-wise with her for a while.

Dalii is already established in an FC, so I think I would be looking for events, independent connections, and linkshells to start with? But I am very shy about the prospect of doing walk-up/tell and proposing some kind of independent storyline. I see announcements in shoutchat for events and such. I'm also trying to avoid spoilers for Shadowbringers & Endwalker as much as possible.

So my main questions are. What kind of RP groups are out there for people who are already in an FC? What kind of hooks/storylines are the most effective for starting with an individual player? (I'm interested in character development and connection-building, so would "adventuerers on a job together" be a good start, for example?) What IS the etiquette for doing walk-up/tell?

Edited by inkycompass

Hello there, Ink, welcome! :) There are Discord communities and public events open to anyone. As for hooks, it just depends on the character you're writing and what sort of RP and stories you are looking for, but adventurers working together is a great place to start. There's not a lot of etiquette involving approaching anyone. If you're doing an IC walk-up, I would just recommend finding someone with their RP tag on and/or someone who is actively writing RP posts so you know they are IC and available for RP. Otherwise if you're not sure or just want to touch base OOC first, you can always send a /tell.

Oh, that's good to know! It's definitely the most intimidating part for me but I will steel myself and give it a shot this week, I think.

And I think I saw someone from your FC advertising your teatime last week! Didn't make it then, but I will try to make the next one. 🙂 I've always wanted to try a teahouse/cafe/pub open house event... they sound like a lot of fun.

9 hours ago, inkycompass said:

Oh, that's good to know! It's definitely the most intimidating part for me but I will steel myself and give it a shot this week, I think.

And I think I saw someone from your FC advertising your teatime last week! Didn't make it then, but I will try to make the next one. 🙂 I've always wanted to try a teahouse/cafe/pub open house event... they sound like a lot of fun.

Yes, I hope you can make the next one! :D Looking forward to bumping into you sometime in game!

• 1 month later...

Hey Inky. I'm from Mateus and am willing to world travel. How's the RP scene trating you? I am looking for people to join with and would love to connect with people sho have some experience with RP but are new to the XIV scene. I'd also be happy to RP with your alt when you want to grow her a bit. Let me know. I can swnd you my carrd, have you made one yet? It's a great way to get started with RP in this game I think.