Character Review & Introduction

Hey all. I figure the best introduction is just to roll out my character and hope you guys find him interesting enough to RP with. I played some other MMOs, yada-yada-yada. Here is something more interesting~

Zizirimu Yayarimu

Clan Background:

The Yayarimu are Lalafell of the Sagolii Desert. Naturally, they are proud Dunesfolk. Centuries past, the Yayarimu and other families of the region united for safety and prosperity, forming a clan. They called themselves the Yukok, after a bird of prey that has now gone extinct. The Yukok Clan was a confederation of traditionally nomadic families, ruled as a Gerontocracy. Yet even in a confederacy, the Sagolii Desert was a harsh place to make a living. The young would perish because water was too scarce, shade all too valuable, and the clan had little in the way of making profit. The state of affairs was bleak, until the Bright One arrived.

The Bright One was a Dunesfolk Lalafell, who one day appeared after burrowing up from the sands of Sagolii, claiming that he had visited an ancient Duskwight civilization beneath the sands.He was an adventurer, a term not often used during the days when most of Eorzea was wild, and cities were just starting to take shape. He traveled with the Yukok Clan, and taught them the value of education, claiming that they must embrace it. The elders heeded his words and soon the entire clan united under his guidance. The Bright One pointed to a location on the map, and said that there they must settle and end the tradition of using beasts of burden for nomad living, and instead to use them to cultivate land. Leaving as suddenly as he appeared, The Bright One left behind many of his teachings as tenants for the clan to follow. Since then, the clan meticulously followed the way of life The Bright One laid out before them, switching to Geniocracy as a way of government.

Many claimed that The Bright One himself would appear in their dreams and reveal more knowledge. Rituals and beliefs were erected based on The Bright One’s teachings. Order within the clan was enforced by young adults having their overall grade attached to their first name when they finished their studies. Those few names that began with “A” were to govern and received expensive tutelage from outsiders hired to further hone the mind. Many would settle across Eorzea to become the greatest scholars of the realm, advisors to major political figures, and enforcers of order through meticulous study of law and morality.

The Yukok Clan has never fully converted to the belief of the Twelve, instead they await the second coming of The Bright One to bring them and the rest of Hydaelyn out of darkness.

Character Background:

The Dunesfolk was given the name Zizirimu, but throughout his childhood was affectionately called “Zizi.” The Lalafell was never too social and to the joy of his parents enjoyed reading, writing, and learning the arts. Despite the social awkwardness Zizi finished the schooling perfectly, earning the much coveted A in front of his name, no easy task. The schooling of the Yukok Clan was rigorous and tough, as commanded by The Bright One. Now called A’ziz for short, he was shown respect only saved for the leaders of the clan. Some even suggested he might be The Bright One reborn!

Learning came easily to him as the best tutors were provided, paid for by the rest of the clan. By the age of 22 he was fluent in Garlean as well as the language of laws in Eorzea. A’ziz studied previous philosophers and even wrote his own commentary on their beliefs. Aether came easily to him and became another academic focus. He labored over the Beastmen studies, or what little was written about their language and culture. He even spent time studying the Twelve. At the age of twenty-six the Lalafell has begun his own education - something more practical. It was time to see the world he read about.

He was looking for a way to reverse the fall of Dalamud when the Calamity happened. Thankfully he survived, but his ancestral home was hit. He doesn’t know if his clan left for cover elsewhere or perished.

I would like some feedback, is this lore-friendly? Any other character critique is welcome!

Any suggestions for Linkshells are appreciated! I am going to focus on playing a healer/buffer, if that matters. Probably Scholar/White mage main.

80 views and no replies... well then! Did I post this in the wrong section? Or... is it full of fail? :?

I thought it was a really good read and I can tell you put thought into it. My question would be what type of person is he. I can't really reply on the lore part since I'm new to the game, but not to Final Fantasy.

Hey Zizirimu-

Not really one to speak on the canon and lore aspect- as I'm new to it myself and -really- don't know anything about Lala history (as I will not be playing one- but hope to gain a strong understanding of all the Eorzean cultures via RP and directed research)...

But I found your storyline idea to be rather interesting and creative.

My only concern would be a word of caution to not make A'zizi -too- good at everything that he becomes a Gary Lou (or whatever the male version of the Mary Sue is.. haha).

I think linking a bio of him would be good- one that lists his strengths, weaknesses, etc- so that readers of the above could get a more complete understanding of who he is- not just the legend.

If you DO plan to make him some sort of Bright One reborn... cool... but just make him relate-able too. Give him areas in which he can grow/develop, frailties and so forth.

It seems from my reading of threads here, and the wiki, that the FF universe is quite large and forgiving of unique/unusual takes on things and events- so it =seems= your idea could work... especially if you have a good RP story to explain things and, as I said before, ensure he's not "Super Lala".

I was going to have him act stuck up and scholarly at first, but then I figured that suited a young intellectual, not one who is over 30 years old. I will aim for him to be rather spiritual. A'ziz has overcome his earlier arrogance and has grown pessimistic with the idea of teaching and learning. White he has learned much, he finds himself no closer to his goal of understanding ultimate truths. He is still hungry for knowledge but believes it should come from personal experience... so with that in mind he is more open and a lot less arrogant intellectually. 

This sort of leads to his interpersonal relations, in that he is humble and soft spoken. Contemplative, meditative, doesn't voice his thoughts unless they are requested.

EDIT: I will include a character template tomorrow! I promise!

First off - hello and welcome~! 

Secondly - wow! You obviously put a lot of thought into this, I really enjoyed reading it. The creation of the Bright One was super interesting, I like how much influence he had on the clan and their belief system. I do have a few questions though /pitchfork. I jest! No, just harmless questions.

One; I'm curious about how his clan feels about Zizimiru leaving to go see the world, will they disapprove?

Two; You said Zizimiru read up on the Twelve, although the clan doesn't follow them. In fact they seem pretty content in their own world (correct me if I'm wrong). Will the world have an influence on him?

Three; This one is less curious, more lore-based. Did the Bright One only come to the Yukok clan or does he sort of travel about? Would other neighboring clans have heard of the Bright One, did the Yukok talk about him/try to convert others or is he more of just a Yukok clan exclusive?

Those questions are more like "I'm curious and you left me wanting more" questions, so you don't have to answer them. Otherwise, I really like where your character is going C:

First off - hello and welcome~! 

Secondly - wow! You obviously put a lot of thought into this, I really enjoyed reading it. The creation of the Bright One was super interesting, I like how much influence he had on the clan and their belief system. I do have a few questions though /pitchfork. I jest! No, just harmless questions.

One; I'm curious about how his clan feels about Zizimiru leaving to go see the world, will they disapprove?

Two; You said Zizimiru read up on the Twelve, although the clan doesn't follow them. In fact they seem pretty content in their own world (correct me if I'm wrong). Will the world have an influence on him?

Three; This one is less curious, more lore-based. Did the Bright One only come to the Yukok clan or does he sort of travel about? Would other neighboring clans have heard of the Bright One, did the Yukok talk about him/try to convert others or is he more of just a Yukok clan exclusive?

Those questions are more like "I'm curious and you left me wanting more" questions, so you don't have to answer them. Otherwise, I really like where your character is going C:

Thank you for the warm welcome Scarlet :) Glad you enjoyed the read!

1- It was expected for young men and women (especially the A's and B's of the group) to go out into the world for a few years. The clan was by no means xenophobic, in fact they "exported" their intellectuals who then would send back resources after writing books/acting as advisors/and so on. Zizi was bred for leadership, but was expected to be worldly and have certain connections with the three nations. Of course, none of this matters now after the Calamity.

2- Yes, they are pretty content in following The Bright One as a holy figure. That said, they didn't shun outside beliefs. They studied them, inspected them for their truths and adapted them into their beliefs. Studying the Twelve was expected, especially for A'ziz. I fully expect the world to have an influence on him, including the characters he comes across. Who knows maybe he will have an influence on them as well!

3- I envisioned The Bright One traveling about, and each people he came across were shaped by him in some way. Perhaps in Miqo'te folk lore he is a Keeper of the Moon not a Dunesfolk... maybe he is a she! I wont claim passed down stories as pure fact. Did he dig himself out from the sands of the desert... or maybe just arrived one day...? These things are just stories, not history. The Yukok would likely be known for their beliefs in The Bright One, perhaps others were converted... but Yukok themselves wouldn't have ever went out of their way to convert. Though I'd imagine they'd gladly take on those who wished to follow in the steps of The Bright One.

Thank you for the questions, I really don't mind clarifying things for you! :) If you or anyone wished to make character connections just shoot me a PM!

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate them C: Your character's background is really solid, but I keep coming back to the Bright One. I like how you gave him a sort of "God" feel, I first saw him as some prophet. Everyone may see the Bright One, but they seem him/her in their own image - I love that, it's flexible. I don't think it's breaking lore in my opinion since you aren't claiming the Bright One is as popular as the Twelve.

I can't wait to see your character profile C: and I hope to see you in game as well!

Here is the sheet... its pretty basic but I couldn't find something on here.

Name: Zizirimu Yayarimu

Race/Clan: Lalafell Dunesfolk

Hobbies: Meditating, reading, reciting "Paths" (aka mantras of The Bright One), practicing stances and forms (akin to monk training w/o the violence), healing sick people.

Talents: Aether comes easily to him, he is very intelligent & well educated, achieved certain talents through meditation (but forbid himself from using them)

Weaknesses: Doesn't own much, cannot defend himself, assumes most people are good, physically thin and weak, too pensive and thoughtful to a point of hinderance.

Hope this helped of all those who wanted to see a character sheet. The background is roughly laid out in the OP... however there is more I simply haven't had time to type up to add to it.