Question, looking for some advice.

Hello, everyone I'm sorry for the stupid question but... I just joined final fantasy 14 and I want to roleplay as a pirate captain, (or ex pirate captain) either one that works.

First question is that okay and wouldn't be frowned upon, I'm asking because i really love the free and charming aspect of Pirates. 

My second question: what classes would be the best for a pirate?

Finally my third question any advice on designing my character so it doesn't conflict with the lore?

Hey there! While I'm not the most experienced player in terms of years, I'm confident with saying a pirate captain, current or ex, is completely within the realm of roleplay and lore in kind. There are even sky pirates if the sea doesn't sound appealing!

Here's an article that actually discusses a bit about known pirates and organizations acknowledged within the lore. Course, you can create your own that may be in alliance with an established pirate crew or perhaps your crew is in conflict with one of the crews. Possibilities are endless.

In terms of classes, any and all could work with a little bit of writing but I've primarily seen Machanists used due to the gun-like weapon. A Rouge could easily fit as well due to their association with thieving and deception.

I hope this helped in some way!

It would not be frowned upon in any way. Pirates exist and aren't exactly rare or lore-breaking in FFXIV. Keep in mind some RP characters may not always take kindly to pirates, but that can be said of pretty much any type of character. Any class could work well enough for a pirate, but marauder and rogue seem to be the most linked in lore. Machinist is also very viable if you want a gun-toting swashbuckler, and Arcanist does start in Limsa Lominsa. Piracy isn't uncommon in the Far East either, so Samurai and Ninja could also work well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 10:58 AM, CaptainCoral said:

Hello, everyone I'm sorry for the stupid question but... I just joined final fantasy 14 and I want to roleplay as a pirate captain, (or ex pirate captain) either one that works.

First question is that okay and wouldn't be frowned upon, I'm asking because i really love the free and charming aspect of Pirates. 

My second question: what classes would be the best for a pirate?

Finally my third question any advice on designing my character so it doesn't conflict with the lore?

I RP a pirate myself, and it's a lot more customizable than you think.

Firstly, there are a few Pirate RPers here and there and Pirates exist in the lore of the game, so definitely, by all means feel free to Pirate it up!

Secondly, any class you want fits just fine as long as it fits YOUR character that YOU want. I'm a Dark Knight myself, but me using a Greatsword is what fits with my character that I made. But if you're looking to start with something simple, any of the non-paladin tank jobs can be made Piratey. There's also Monk and Machinist, and technically reaper as well. But again, you can use anything. Be a Pirate White Mage if you like.

Third, how lore-bending you want to be is up to you. But typically people prefer characters that can technically exist within their world. So I'd say if you want to be safe, just be a regular Pirate. You've got a ship, be it sea or air, and you sail around and plunder, pillage, treasure hunt, and drink. Yar har, a pirate's life for me! Though feel free to expand upon that if you'd like. Perhaps you have a curse upon yourself or your crew, or you've got a magical artifact or weapon. Such things exist in FFXIV so it doesn't break any lore. Just as long as you make your character realistically powerful and/or skilled, then you're fine. In other words, avoid becoming a Mary Sue. Do that and you'll be perfectly fine. My character is a Pirate that parades around as a normal, clumsy citizen on land, but at Sea he becomes what he really is: A dangerous and somewhat bloodthirsty villain. Having quirks and unique qualities like that can make your character stand out from other simple pirate types. Feel free to experiment!

I've been RPing as a Pirate for a very long time, so if you have any other questions, feel free to throw them my way.