Miqo'te clans

As i see it, for the Seeker clans, there is not one big family for each Letter tribe. It's more like each Tribe (K, or every other letter) is again divided into several "units" and i guess these several units can vary in size. So a small family unit could be possible, at least in my opinion (although it would be uncommon. It would still not be a "typical" one father/mother constellation if its traditional tribe like).

As gridanian Keeper i want to add, yeah there is this stigma, but it is also said that this stigma is getting less common around our playtime, since more and more Keepers decide to live in Gridania itself and the townsfolk more and more accept them into their city-community over time.

A lot of the active dislike seems to be between the Wildwood Elezen and the Keepers of the Moon, at least if the Archer quest line is indicative of the overall feelings in the city. That said, a miqo'te in the Archer guild who gives you a delivery quest right at the beginning of the game refers to Gridanians as being "prickly," though that may be because she's new to the city.

On the topic of family units, there's a dev post that talks about how the big tribes break into smaller units when a tia secures hunting grounds; at that point, the tia becomes a nunh of the tribe, but only inside that area. What traditional Seekers definitely do not do is have a standard Western nuclear family -- at least not without consequences from their tribal brethren.

EDIT: Which is not to say that it's not possible, just that they'd have to be a small "subtribe" as described above, outcasts, city-state dwellers, or somehow associated with the more cosmopolitan culture of adventurers. As Aysun noted, those who live in the city-states usually deviate from their traditional cultures -- dramatically so in the case of the miqo'te (which is really the only explanation I can come up with for the mismatch between lore and NPCs :) ). Even then, though, traditionalist miqo'te will probably find those miqo'te dangerously misguided at best and "race traitors" at worst.

How close to lore should I stay with my character history? Would it be unreasonable to have self-contained family unit of Seekers rather than a situation with one male and several females?

As near or far as you'd like! Something I'm noticing in the writing of FFXIV is that the races/species are rarely locked up by confining traits. In the same way as you have all kinds of people in real life who come from all kinds of circumstances, the same is true here. There are dainty city miqo'te, hardy city miqo'te, swarthy miqo'te pirates, poacher miqo'te, erudite scholar miqo'te, trader miqo'te... everything. I've even seen miqo'te (and all other races) among the ranks of the Empire! So it'll be the same with tradition: some will have steered away, some will have kept and adhered, others will now believe that all the miqo'te of Eorzea are heathen scum who must be crushed under-heel in a glorious crusade... The field really is very open, :).

There are plenty of non-tribal Seekers in lore. They often live in Limsa Lominsa.

And yea, there is an overall stigma against Keepers, mostly held by Gridanians, however.

I just visited Limsa Lominsa and the miqo'te there are frightening! Hanging off the arms of pirates and flirting with sailors!! They have forgotten themselves! /trauma ;;

I kind of figured some in the city-states might be less inclined to observe the tribal structure, but I just thought I'd make sure because I've been on some RP forums that were strict about lore almost to the point of being stifling.

A lot of the active dislike seems to be between the Wildwood Elezen and the Keepers of the Moon, at least if the Archer quest line is indicative of the overall feelings in the city. That said, a miqo'te in the Archer guild who gives you a delivery quest right at the beginning of the game refers to Gridanians as being "prickly," though that may be because she's new to the city.

I think that, regarding the Archer quest line, the Wildwood Elezen simply have contempt for anyone trying to follow "their" ways and traditions. Silvairre at least displays that Wildwood elitism.

There are plenty of non-tribal Seekers in lore. They often live in Limsa Lominsa.

And yea, there is an overall stigma against Keepers, mostly held by Gridanians, however.

I just visited Limsa Lominsa and the miqo'te there are frightening! Hanging off the arms of pirates and flirting with sailors!! They have forgotten themselves! /trauma ;;

(That's the background my Miqo'te comes from.. -cough-)

I think that, regarding the Archer quest line, the Wildwood Elezen simply have contempt for anyone trying to follow "their" ways and traditions. Silvairre at least displays that Wildwood elitism.

That Elezen will hold contempt for you no matter what race you are, his issue is that the adventurer is an outsider and should not insult their traditions by trying to learn them. The entire quest line does however mention that the Wildwood and the Keepers of the Moon used to have a rivalry in days past, and that some of that may remain in certain cases.

If you play a traditional forestborn Wildwood or Keeper you could easily have your character hold on to that old tension for the other race.

Personally, I'm looking forward to people going with the "keepers are poacher" stereotype around Manari. That will be some awesome IC drama right there. I can't wait