Old newbie looking for RP group?

Good morning and hello! :bouncy: Let's see... what to say about me...

**I finished writing this, then realized it was long. So skip the "spoilers" unless you are really interested.**

I met my first Chocobo at the tender age of 11 years old with Final Fantasy IV (which I still think of as FFII). I've been riding chocobos and talking to moogles every since, with the exception of FFXI and FFXIV. For some reason, I avoided the MMOs until now.

I was first introduced to roleplay at 18 years of age on a MUD called Dawn of Time. For those who aren't old geezers like me, a MUD (Multi-User Dimension) is pretty much the mother and father of the modern day MMO. It's like an online RPG only it's text-based instead of with graphics. Anyway, I eventually moved onto the MUSH (which is similar, but with more freedom for RP stories and less hack-n-slash). I spent a couple years attending Hogwarts and becoming a true diehard roleplayer. Then I went to graduate school.

So, yeah, I do things backwards. It wasn't until graduate school that I tried my first game of Dungeons and Dragons (tabletop, not that online stuff). I kept RPing online via forums, though. Funny story - when I dropped out of graduate school (long story), my mom came up to help me move back to my hometown. When she arrived, I hadn't packed anything, because FFX-2 had come out and I couldn't put it down. She was SO PISSED.

Moving on, it was a year later that a coworker insisted I try World of Warcraft. And I've been playing MMOs ever since. It wasn't until RIFT that I left WoW, then moved to TOR and have recently returned to WoW. And it wasn't until 2 years ago that I actually started RPing in an MMO. Now that I've gotten a taste of it, I can't get enough. So I'm glad I found you guys. And I'm glad I found FFXIV.

TLDR: So yeah. I'm 33, female, and have been RPing since I was 18, been playing on MMOs for 10 years, and have been RPing on MMOs for the past 2 years. I love character development and my friends tease me about torturing my characters - I like to think that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, so long as it's in RP and not in real life. That said, I hate angst and "woe is me!", so my characters tend to be very strong females.

I only have a very small amout of experience with FF Tactics, and no experience with Crystal Chronicles (aside from "My Life as a King" on the Wii, which I don't think counts). And, like I said, I had never before played a FF MMO until this weekend. I think it's safe to say I'm hooked, though. What that means is that I know very little about the history of this particular FF world. I have a lot of studying to do!

What I'd like to find is a group of people who are looking to set up a Free Company (that's the right term, right?) so that my character can know some people right off. Any suggestions?

Well, if you come up with a good concept, you can post it in the "Linkshell Hall" portion of the forums, to be seen and hopefully attract like-minded individuals :).  You can also use the same section to see if any of the organizations already in place might fill your needs as well!

Good luck in your search :thumbsup:

A linkshell is now in ARR sort of like a chatroom, and you can hold multiples of these.  A Free Company is the traditional "guild" organization.  Prior to this, player organizations were named linkshells, hence the hold-over name (though some groups listed in the Linkshell Hall are actually only linkshells :dazed: )...but if you are looking for a guild, its a Free Company you prolly want :roll:

Hello and welcome~! Strong female characters unite! /Roegadyn fist bump. To expand on what Teardrop said: you can be in up to eight linkshells and only one Free Company. Free Companies get bonuses and rewards if I've not mistaken, like other MMO guilds. I think the Linkshell Hall has a few Free Companies posted up there; I know Facets of Eorzea is one if you're looking to go on Gilgamesh. But both Free Companies and linkshells are good for making friends and doing stuff C:

If you have any more questions or would like some character feedback, feel free to post it on the forums~! Hope to see you in game C:

Welcome to the RPC! Looks like you've got quite the history with FF so I'm sure you'll fit right in with all your fellow fans (at least until someone starts a debate on which FF is best, I'd imagine...). For what it's worth, I didn't get into tabletop until some new friends introduced me to it in college, though that's around the same time I started RP'ing online as well. :D

Trust me, you're in good company here!

Heehee thanks! I feel totally lost in all this lore, actually. I do have another question - if I have a potential character concept that I want input on, should I post it in the Welcome Desk or the Roleplay forum?

From what I've seen, there've been a few people who posted character feedback requests on the RP forum.

Good morning and hello! :bouncy: Let's see... what to say about me...

What I'd like to find is a group of people who are looking to set up a Free Company (that's the right term, right?) so that my character can know some people right off. Any suggestions?

I didn't read everyone else's replies so I hope I don't sound like a broken record.  There are so many good communities here that it's hard to go wrong no matter where you go.  

I would however like to extend an invitation for you to come check us out.  The link is in my signature and there is a listing on the 'linkshell' section of this website.

Regardless of where you go, I hope we run into each other in game and that you have the time of your life in FFXIV-ARR.

My Life as a King totally counts!

Also, if you're looking for feedback, the RP forum is a great place for public feedback. Additionally, in the Welcome Desk stickies, there's a thing about mentorship, which puts you in personal contact with one (or several) veterans of FFXIV who will give you their feedback and answer any questions you have about... pretty much anything! They put their profiles up in that thread, so you have your pick of the litter, so to speak!

Welcome to the RPC. It's so exciting being new and welcoming other new people. I can't wait until we're all in-game and crafting stories together, :).