Final Fantasy Marathon

So I'm thinking I want to do a bit of a FF marathon, starting with I and making my way through the whole numbered series (sans XI) what I'm wondering is which version of each game to play through. I'll likely grab the DS versions of III and IV because I like their updates as well as the steam/PC version of VII.

As for the others well, I'm not sure which versions are best. So what do other people think? :chocobo:

1. FF Origins

2. FF Origins

3 & 4. DS

5. Personally I prefer FF Antholgy for the PS1. If only because you can play on a bigger screen than the GBA version.

6. Same as 5.

As for the others, I just play them on their respective systems.

I'm playing FF2 again before phase 4. I never got past the beginning.

1. FF Origins

2. FF Origins

3 & 4. DS

5. Personally I prefer FF Antholgy for the PS1. If only because you can play on a bigger screen than the GBA version.

6. Same as 5.

As for the others, I just play them on their respective systems.

I'm playing FF2 again before phase 4. I never got past the beginning.

This. If you don't have a PS1 or PS2 though, then I feel really really bad for you. The GBA versions are kind of pathetic, but at least they're free if you use emulators.

If you have a PS3 you can buy 7-9 on PSN, which I would recommend because they are craaaaazy expensive in their original formats. Not sure about the pricing on X or XII, I still have them so I've never looked it up.

XIII's price is pretty low now though, it's in that "not new enough to be expensive, but not old/unpopular enough to stop printing" phase.

I considered doing this myself just to pass the time until launch; I keep getting distracted. 

I recommend Origins for the first two games as well. There are GBA and PSP remakes, but they use MP instead of the "spell charge system" used in the original NES game and PSX port. People have differing opinions on this, but I kind of missed the old system when I tried to play the GBA version.

Unless you're into emulators and don't mind getting a patch for III, the DS is your only option as far as I know.

For IV, V, and VI, I'd recommend either their SNES or GBA versions. SNES if you don't mind emulators, as the sound quality is better; GBA if you'd like a more modernized translation and some bonus extras. The GBA versions aren't bad at all, as I've played most of them, but people tend to think the sound quality is better for the SNES. 

(Edited to add a bit about the DS version of IV. It is HARD. If you're up for a challenge and/or like the graphics engine the game uses, go for it--but FFIV DS was the first DS game I bought, and I wound up returning it to the store because it got so brutal after a while.)

Please note that I understand emulators can be controversial--obviously your best bet for owning the SNES trilogy is to just get the GBA ports, inferior in what ways they may be.

If screen size is an issue on emulators, you can scale up the emulator window and it doesn't look too bad (Too much, and it will look a bit grainy though.)

For 7-9, I'll echo the others and say to buy them on PSN or use your PSX hard copies. While emulators can upgrade the graphics a tiny bit, I never liked using the PSX emulator myself.

X/X-2/XII is the same, except for the PS2. I think they have them on the network, but I haven't looked. They're making an HD remaster bundle of both games as well, which should be out soon. I actually own the collector's edition of XII, but since I finished it, it's just sat there.

I paid 27$ for my copy of XIII 2 or 3 years after it came out, but it should be cheaper now.

1 & 2 Origins

3 I dunno

4 DS or chronicles

5 & 6 anthology

The rest doesn't make much of a difference...

7 original though I grabbed the PC verion on steam cause my CD's are getting old O_O

8 I hated the system too much... ^^;

9 I got on psnetwork cause I enjoyed it but the cd's belonged to my ex

etc.

Yes the DS version of 4 is hard... but it's a lot closer to the original Japanese version. Us version was very watered down and all the FF Chronicles version had was the extra status ailment healing items instead of just having one for all the statuses. I enjoyed it because it was hard, it brought a new level of challenge to my favorite FF game... but yeah if you just want to go through the story again, I guess you're better off with the Chronicles version (comes with Crono Trigger too!)

Also, I'm STILL looking for the Mage and Bomb summons... even though I got Goblin twice. o_O

That sounds hardcore to the point that it'll get boring! Haha, you're a brave soul. 

Do you have an iphone/ipad? You can play touched up versions (to varying degrees) of I-V just through the app store. I think I-IV are also on Android, though III and IV are the only two acceptable ports, as far as I'm concerned. Here's my evaluation on the whole series:

• The PSP ports are solid for I and II, as is the GBA version. I'm not going to endorse Origins for PSX because I hate the load times on all of the PSX ports.
  • Definitely aim for the DS/iOS/Androd/PSP version of III.
  • I'd recommend the PSP for IV (with the DS/iOS/Android version being a superb second choice), as it holds to the original vision the best. 
  • For V, definitely get the iOS one if you can. Otherwise, I'd recommend the GBA version for completeness. PSX Anthology version comes in a distant third, due to its inferior translation and lag from disc reading.
  • VI is certainly most refined on GBA, but the small screen size and fudged-up soundtrack could be deal-breakers for you. If GBA is a no-go, I snagged a complete FFIII box (map, Mog poster, and booklet) for SNES for like 30 bucks last year. Go vintage, or go home :P. Again, I won't endorse FF Anthology due to terrible lag from the disc.
  • The Steam version of FFVII has a terrible "touch-up" on the soundtrack. Definitely look for a mod to fix that. Also check out the PSN version, which might be cheaper...
  • VIII and IX are easily accessible on the PS Network and playable on PSP, Vita, and PS3. You can also find them for reasonable prices in their original PSX format, I believe.
  • X and XII are fairly cheap to buy new (you're in luck) but require a PS2 or backwards compatible PS3. Or you can emulate. You could always wait for X's remaster for PS3/Vita this winter.
  • Well, XIII was designed with the PS3 in mind (and maybe optimized for that system), but both PS3 and X360 versions are equally playable.

Say hi to :cactuar: and :moogle: and :tonberry: and :chocobo: and :bomb: and :ahriman: for me!

IV has a PSP version? :o

I thought it only had SNES, PSone and DX.

The PSP version uses updated sprites instead of the DS 3d models, has all of the content from the various versions (minus Augments from the DS one), and has The After Years bundled in. Essentially you're getting two, full length games for the price of one. In my opinion it's the superior version.