How did I get here? Questions from a non-legacy newbie

In trying to work up a brief outline of my first character, I'm having difficulty figuring out some rather basic questions:  How did she get (t)here in the opening scene?  And how does she know what she knows?

I know that, at the end of 1.0, there was a Calamity and that many people entered some sort of stasis/were thrown 5 years into the future.  I'm assuming that covers all the 1.0 players.  I'm also assuming that all 1.0 players who were online on the day the game closed were in the battle.   My next question is, did the Calamity affect everyone in Eorzea, soldiers and civilians alike?  Was everyone thrown into the future?

I get the impression that the Calamity inflicted everyone in Eorzea with some sort of group amnesia.  That includes my character. 

If I understand this correctly...

...at the beginning of ARR, my character will have some sort of out-of-body(?) experience, and now, for some reason, she is "special".  Then she ends up in a carriage, somewhat dazed and confused.  Upon arriving at her destination, she will be greeted as an outsider and directed to the Adventurer's Guild. Once inside the Guild, she'll get a brief overview of the town, as if she were a foreigner.  The Guild Director will speak to my character as if my character isn't really up-to-speed on the happenings around the Calamity or the 5 years since.

Questions:

• Could my character be a civilian who was not in the battle but was thrown into the future anyway, simply because she was in the wrong place at the right time?
  • Did other areas of the planet suffer from the Calamity?  Are they even aware that it happened? 
  • Do certain races tend to be from certain areas?  My first will probably be a Midlander -- could her hometown be someplace other than one of the starting cities?  
  • Are there any formal schools/universities in Eorzea (or on Hydaelyn at all?)?  Can some people read and write?  Do people carry pens/quills and paper/parchment or notebooks/journals?

I want to make sure that whatever I come up with doesn't completely trample lore, so any guidance will be much appreciated.  Thanks!

~ Ami

I apologize for the inline quoting, but you have a lot of questions here. :)

In trying to work up a brief outline of my first character, I'm having difficulty figuring out some rather basic questions:  How did she get (t)here in the opening scene?  And how does she know what she knows?

The main scenario quest for a non-legacy character assumes that the PC is a new adventurer, traveling to one of the city-states for whatever reason makes sense for them. (You're asked by an NPC during the initial cutscene why you're traveling to the city, and "..." is one answer.) The heads of the adventurers' guilds assume that you're a new adventurer as well. So, if you're good with playing a fresh-faced adventurer, then the main scenario quest supports that.

I know that, at the end of 1.0, there was a Calamity and that many people entered some sort of stasis/were thrown 5 years into the future.  I'm assuming that covers all the 1.0 players.  I'm also assuming that all 1.0 players who were online on the day the game closed were in the battle.   My next question is, did the Calamity affect everyone in Eorzea, soldiers and civilians alike?  Was everyone thrown into the future?

The Calamity is the attack by Bahamut, and it struck much of Eorzea, causing massive damage to many places. Some places got hit worse than others. The Calamity isn't the timewarp, which was a spell cast by Louisoix on the adventurers at the Battle of Carteneau that saved them by casting them five years into the future. Canonically, no one else was timewarped.

In the main scenario quest of ARR, around level 17, the Echo takes you back to the command center of the battle. The three city-state leaders withdraw shortly after Bahamut appears, and the Grand Companies withdraw as well, attempting to provide protection for the adventurers. Evidently, that doesn't go so well, and so Louisoix ends up casting that spell.

I get the impression that the Calamity inflicted everyone in Eorzea with some sort of group amnesia.  That includes my character. 

It's a bit more nuanced than that. The main scenario quest explains that no one (with certain spoilery exceptions) can remember who the people who fought at the Battle of Carteneau were; their faces and personalities are washed out in people's memories as if they were backlit by the sun, thus the name "Warriors of Light." No one has a great memory of what happened or who was involved during that time (again, with certain spoilery exceptions).

Specifically, characters with the Echo (all PCs) are not subject to that amnesia.

There are some threads on this forum discussing how this affects IC relationships. I think the current thought of many is that people related to you who don't fall into the exceptions above can remember your existence, but seem to recall you going off to adventure and everything past that is hazy and unknown. Those without a close relationship to you may not remember you at all.

Could my character be a civilian who was not in the battle but was thrown into the future anyway, simply because she was in the wrong place at the right time?

Probably not. You'd really need to be at the Battle of Carteneau to be affected by the spell, though since it was a massive military engagement, presumably civilians providing support may have been nearby. It's also possible you stumbled into the battle. However, the spell didn't affect other places. It's pretty easy, though, to come up with a way for you to be in the spell's range.

Did other areas of the planet suffer from the Calamity?  Are they even aware that it happened? 

We don't know. The Garleans certainly are aware of it, as are certain... other forces, but they were all at the battle (or otherwise involved with it).

Do certain races tend to be from certain areas?  My first will probably be a Midlander -- could her hometown be someplace other than one of the starting cities?  

You have pretty significant freedom to have your character be from anywhere, including small villages or towns of your own construction that exist only for backstory purposes. Be aware that being from Ala Mhigo, Ishgard, or the Garlean Empire, or moving to the Shroud prior to the Calamity, all have special considerations in lore.

Are there any formal schools/universities in Eorzea (or on Hydaelyn at all?)?  Can some people read and write?  Do people carry pens/quills and paper/parchment or notebooks/journals?

Well, arcanists do, because that's how they do magic. :) Since lots of signs are written, I think it's safe to assume that most Eorzeans can read and write to some degree, but I wouldn't say it's a requirement. Quills seem to be what's used rather than pens, paper definitely exists and is used for recording transactions and the like, and a notebook wouldn't be out of the question.

The guilds definitely provide formal education, but in terms of universities, I personally am not aware of any in game, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'll admit I'm not 100% on that particular part of lore, so I invite someone to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

The calamity was not the cause of the time skip, that was caused by Louisoix (the old elezen man in the opening) calling down Althyk, the god of time, as a last-ditch attempt to save the adventurers with the Echo (long story short, they're special snowflakes. All adventurers are, which is why the out-of-body experience happens after character creation). Everyone else stayed in their present and had to work things out the hard way, and was affected by a sort of selective amnesia that erased the details of the time-skipped adventurers from their memory. They're aware that they existed and did great things, but they can't remember their faces, or names, or their relations to them. Supposedly only people that have the Echo remember them clearly because magic.

So, basically, if you were a civilian or a non-adventurer soldier, you were not part of the time skip. You can play your character as one of the adventurers at the final battle (there are a few new players doing this) but they wouldn't just be "at the wrong place at the right time," they would have been fighting in the battle.

We don't know what the state of the other parts of the planet are currently. We don't have any information on if they were affected or are aware of the situation in Eorzea, at least as far as I know. Until the dev team gives us an answer, I'm going to say "whatevs, if you make it work then it works."

Technically certain races are centralized around certain areas (wildwood Elezens are usually in the Black Shroud/Gridania, Dunesfolk Lalafell are usually from Ul'dah) but there is no reason why your character can't come from wherever the hell you want. It's an age of exploration and commerce, all kinds of people move around and settle down in other places than their "home area."

There aren't any known towns outside of the city-states, but there are small settlements and camps scattered throughout the outlying areas. It's not impossible to say that they came from one of those (or a similar small town, though that would be harder to justify) or, if their family is nomadic or live in specific areas that aren't on the map (Duskwight Elezen and caves, for instance) then it's easier to handwave.

The only schools I've seen have been the guilds for classes and crafts. It's not impossible to say there may be other forms of schooling, but for the most part it looks like a medieval master-apprentice system. Parchment and writing utensils are probably common, given that it's the only other form of communication besides linkshells. Most people (at least, the important NPCs) are literate, so it would probably be easy to justify your character being literate and keeping journals, or writing stories.

Thank you so much for your very in-depth replies (and so quickly!).  I'm just at the beginning stages of character development, so getting those points straight will be a tremendous help.  I really want to do the 100 Questions challenge.  I've never done anything like that before and I think it'll really help me know who my character is!

For example, I'm not sure yet how she ends up at the battle, because I'm not sure yet how she sees herself.  She may be an adventurer, but I'm not sure she actually considers herself one...

So much to think about and pull together.  Thank goodness we have a few weeks to sort it all out!  Thanks so much for your input!

~ Ami

Sorry to dredge this up but I guess I'm still hazy on a few points.  As a non-Legacy character whose adventure is starting fresh with XIV, there are things about the opening scene that still confuse me.

Please see if I'm understanding this correctly: 

All player characters were time-skipped, regardless of whether they are continuing from 1.x or are starting new.  No exceptions.  All players are part of the skip.  That is non-negotiable and is the significance of the out-of-body opening sequence.

It is left to the player, of course, to decide why the character was at the scene of the Battle, how she got there and what she was actually doing at the time.  Maybe she was fighting, maybe she was just passing through, maybe she was entertaining the troops, maybe she was delivering supplies, whatever -- those details are up to me, the player.

After the out-of-body sequence, when she comes to, does the character have any clue as to why she is in the carriage?  Does she remember the Battle?  Is she aware that she was time-skipped? Does she know what has transpired in the world in the past 5 years?  Or is she coming to as if awakening from a deep sleep?  Does she know the fate of friends and family?  Does she remember them (I know civilians may or may not remember her)?

Sorry for so many questions.  It might have been easier for me if the game had started with a recap of the Battle as opposed to the out-of-body part but I'm sure I'll sort it out (with your help!).  Thanks!

~ Ami

All player characters were time-skipped, regardless of whether they are continuing from 1.x or are starting new.  No exceptions.  All players are part of the skip.  That is non-negotiable and is the significance of the out-of-body opening sequence.

Nuh-uh. Only those at the Battle of Carteneau (specifically, with or near the adventurers) were time-skipped. Those who weren't there weren't. There's actually a difference between the two cutscenes; in the non-legacy intro cutscene, your character wakes up on a cart that you've been riding on and a merchant comments that you're experiencing Aether sickness. You didn't just pop into that cart; you've presumably been riding in it with the merchant and some twins for a while.

In the legacy intro cutscene, you literally pop into existence and walk into your starting city.

...the cutscene in the blue world with the symbol on the ground, where you stand against some guy in a mask in your job gear, is actually a vision sent by the Hydaelyn itself representing the impending conflict. All characters with the Echo get that, but being at Carteneau is not a prerequisite for having the Echo. Having the Echo is, however, important for being a PC if you plan on doing content IC after level 20 or so.

I don't believe this to be the case. 1.0 characters have the option of considering themselves to be time-skipped (optional meaning they get the tattoo marking, but have the option to turn it on or off as they choose to fit their personal story's circumstances). I believe the opening new sequence is the beginning of your current ARR story, being chosen by the big blue crystal and whatnot :P

*aaaaand of course, Free jumps in with the specifics while I'm busy typing the derp...*

Nuh-uh. Only those at the Battle of Carteneau (specifically, with or near the adventurers) were time-skipped. Those who weren't there weren't. There's actually a difference between the two cutscenes; in the non-legacy intro cutscene, your character wakes up on a cart that you've been riding on and a merchant comments that you're experiencing Aether sickness. You didn't just pop into that cart; you've presumably been riding in it with the merchant and some twins for a while.

In the legacy intro cutscene, you literally pop into existence and walk into your starting city.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding has been that as RPers, we have a little bit of flexibility in which camp our character is in. For example, I'm looking at playing Khaze'to's older sister, who would have been a warrior of light who got timeskipped. I'll create her normally and she will appear in the cart as if she were a normal hero, but I'll just adjust her story in my head. And on the flip side, there are legacy players that have decided that their characters have actually been around all this time. So, form a roleplay perspect, the community is letting each person chose the path for their character, right?

Oh, sure, I mean, you can do what you like in that regard. :) I'm just stating what's the case in lore -- those who were timeskipped had to be at the Battle of Carteneau and had to have stayed to the Megaflare by Bahamut, as that's when and where Louisoix's spell was cast. Other than that, since it's not like those who were timeskipped are forced to wear a "Louisoix sent me back to the future, and all I got was this lousy tunic" shirt, you can finesse the story as desired (again, within the boundaries of the aforementioned lore). If you want to say your 1.x character wasn't at Carteneau or left early and wasn't time warped, that works just as much as it does to say your 2.x character was there and did get time warped.

...the cutscene in the blue world with the symbol on the ground, where you stand against some guy in a mask in your job gear, is actually a vision sent by the Hydaelyn itself representing the impending conflict. All characters with the Echo get that, but being at Carteneau is not a prerequisite for having the Echo. Having the Echo is, however, important for being a PC if you plan on doing content IC after level 20 or so.

Perfect!  I did not realize there were two different openings.  I thought everyone, Legacy and Non all had the same cart-ride.  I was having trouble reconciling how I, as a Non, was having the same experience as a Legacy, since Legacies have a somewhat pre-defined backstory.

If I'm understanding you correctly, my character could assume the out-of-body experience was just a "weird dream" she had while riding on the cart.  Of course, I'm sure it will come into play later, but that remains to be seen as the game plays out.  There is no requirement that she have amnesia or not be able to remember her family.  That *could* be the case, it just doesn't *have* to be the case.

That's a lot less restricting than I originally thought.  Thanks for the clarification!

---------------------------

Whoa, folks are so fast with the replies!  What a great community!  Thank you, Teardrop and Lady2Beetle, for your input!  It's all coming together.  Of course, with this new understanding, I may need to make a few tweaks to my 100 questions, but revision is all part of the process, right?

If you want to say your 1.x character wasn't at Carteneau or left early and wasn't time warped, that works just as much as it does to say your 2.x character was there and did get time warped.

The only caveat to that second point will be that a non-legacy character will not be able to actually display in game the marking on his or her back which all those who time warped would have. I feel that this is somehow important to the story for reasons that have not been made clear to us yet. Is it possible to just RP that your character has the marking on his or her back even though it's not in game? Of course! But I just thought it was worth making note of this tidbit from a game perspective.

If you want to say your 1.x character wasn't at Carteneau or left early and wasn't time warped, that works just as much as it does to say your 2.x character was there and did get time warped.

The only caveat to that second point will be that a non-legacy character will not be able to actually display in game the marking on his or her back which all those who time warped would have.  I feel that this is somehow important to the story for reasons that have not been made clear to us yet.  Is it possible to just RP that your character has the marking on his or her back even though it's not in game?  Of course!  But I just thought it was worth making note of this tidbit from a game perspective.

Thanks for bringing that up, Eva.

After the out-of-body sequence, when she comes to, does the character have any clue as to why she is in the carriage?  Does she remember the Battle?  Is she aware that she was time-skipped? Does she know what has transpired in the world in the past 5 years?  Or is she coming to as if awakening from a deep sleep?  Does she know the fate of friends and family?  Does she remember them (I know civilians may or may not remember her)?

I, having never played 1.x or any of the betas would like to know about this as well.  I've been cramming as much information as i can so i can create my character (Who, although he will be 2.x, was time skipped.)  I'd like to know how much he will remember.  Does being time skipped leave you with all of your memories of that day or are we also not able to remember who else was there? Also, for those time skipped, do they reappear directly at the beginning of ARR or have they been in the world for a period of time?  (Hours, Days, Weeks?)  

These are the two primary bits of non class related information i'm still unsure about.

Yep, as Eva said, there's definitely the concern of divergent plot. (It'd slipped my mind. :) ) Right now we know that there's definitely a different intro for legacy characters, and of course they get the mark. There's also some minor differences later in the main scenario quest...

...Minfilia mentioning that she knows who you are because the Echo preserves your memories of the Warriors of Light (main scenario quest, around level 20 or so).

We don't really know if they'll continue to diverge the plot in the future, so that's a potential point of concern.

As for timeskippers, well...

...since the Echo preserves your memories, you would remember what happened that day, who you fought beside, and how things went down. Thanks to the Echo, you'll also be privy to some additional details, but so is everyone else with the Echo.

In terms of the "when," I don't think there's any specific lore on that; I believe most people are playing it as "once I get into game." :) I'd think it would definitely be in the current year, though (5 of the 7th Umbral Era).