Is there only 26 tribes of Seekers?

Before I go leaping off to rethink the name of my character's tribe and how he fits into history, I wanted to ask if it is true there is only 26 trbies for Seekers of the Sun?

I've seen people say this in other threads, but I am assuming that 'tribe names are originally based on traditional beastkin, scalekin, or cloudkin totems, which are said to protect the tribe' and are only limited in their name to one of these 26 characters, but there are many different tribes in Eorzea.

Where do I get my idea from? The fact that it is also suggested in Seekers' history that the only way Tias cand become nunhs is either through a fight or leaving the tribe to start their own tribe. Where as it suggests it's difficult and rare, it's NOT impossible. And you can't make another character of the alphabet.

Thoughts?

There's a 27th tribe. The Tribe of the Distant! -shameless plug-

Anyway, to actually answer your question... I think that what happens if a Tia splits off and forms their own tribe, it becomes somewhat of a sister tribe, not something completely different. So... let's say someone from the R tribe splits off, kay? Well... He and everyone who left are still part of the R tribe, they just started... their own R tribe, I guess. Now I could be completely wrong, but that's kind of how I took it.

I have citations!

There are only 26 tribes. However, a tribe can have multiple nunhs because a tia can become a nunh by extending the tribe's territory. When a tia does this, he becomes the nunh of that new territory and remains part of the tribe. The loremasters indicate that this is quite common and accepted in Seeker society (Fernehalwes's post). Splitting off to create a new a tribe is very rare and those who do so rarely admit to doing so, since they're essentially outcasts. However, when they do, they take their normal tribal letter and add a second letter to it; for instance, M'sato Tia might become Ma'sato Nunh (Fernehalwes's post on the rarity, Fernehalwes's post on the naming).

There's a 27th tribe. The Tribe of the Distant! -shameless plug-

Anyway, to actually answer your question... I think that what happens if a Tia splits off and forms their own tribe, it becomes somewhat of a sister tribe, not something completely different. So... let's say someone from the R tribe splits off, kay? Well... He and everyone who left are still part of the R tribe, they just started... their own R tribe, I guess. Now I could be completely wrong, but that's kind of how I took it.

I agree with that way of thinking. So there may be three A tribes, 1 B tribe, 1 C tribe, 2 D tribes, 1 E tribe, etcetc. I wouldn't imagine (since it's said not to be very successful) there would be many alternative tribes like this. It's just made my think how I show my character and I think, "Hmmm, why have I decided to call it the V'erasse or K'ayle tribe?".

I have citations!

There are only 26 tribes. However, a tribe can have multiple nunhs because a tia can become a nunh by extending the tribe's territory. When a tia does this, he becomes the nunh of that new territory and remains part of the tribe. The loremasters indicate that this is quite common and accepted in Seeker society (Fernehalwes's post). Splitting off to create a new a tribe is very rare and those who do so rarely admit to doing so, since they're essentially outcasts. However, when they do, they take their normal tribal letter and add a second letter to it; for instance, M'sato Tia might become Ma'sato Nunh (Fernehalwes's post on the rarity, Fernehalwes's post on the naming).

Thank you FreelanceWizard! This actually helps me a lot because I can work on this concept to make mine and my character's brother's history work into this. I might need to sleep on it but I am assuming that if an tribe nunh had went out and extended that ground, and let’s say, an attack by some rowdy beastmen killed a lot of the members in that territory, the surviving members could simple reform with other clans of their name in other territories?

I might need to sleep on it but I am assuming that if an tribe nunh had went out and extended that ground, and let’s say, an attack by some rowdy beastmen killed a lot of the members in that territory, the surviving members could simple reform with other clans of their name in other territories?

Yep, I'd think so, since they're all still an accepted part of the tribe. There'd definitely be a loss of face and the nunh of the lost territory would definitely be a tia again until he could extend a territory or successfully challenge, but since the branch was created in a socially acceptable way, I'd think they'd be able to rejoin other branches in other territories.

Yep, I'd think so, since they're all still an accepted part of the tribe. There'd definitely be a loss of face and the nunh of the lost territory would definitely be a tia again until he could extend a territory or successfully challenge, but since the branch was created in a socially acceptable way, I'd think they'd be able to rejoin other branches in other territories.

Thank you Freelance! This really helps. Much appreciated!