Linkshell/Free Company Idea: Need Input

So I have a group put together already, however the ideas that I have are still fluid and I'm continuing to work on them until launch when I'll be finalizing what I have. So far the idea is that I'll have both a LS and a FC that will be linked to one another IC, the story behind it is that they are supposed to be a secret society of "black knights" (not to be confused with Dark Knights) who serve the same purpose as a typical order of knights, to protect and serve the realm, but do so by sacrificing honor and renown for steely dedication to do absolutely anything to protect Eorzea. That means even if they would need to sacrifice the lives of a small town to save thousands of lives elsewhere, they would do so without hesitation. They make hard choices others cannot, and they do so in secret or behind anonymity.

The society itself is a well guarded secret that has existed since the Sixth Umbral Era, somewhat based on real world secret societies like the Knights Templar or the Free Masons/Illuminati, and like the Free Masons I wanted to give them a very public front that had to do with some form of crafting/gathering. So effectively there'd be a small office or shop that would be the public face of the organization, a place where members can come to receive orders anonymously, or where people who are in the know could contact the order if they needed them for something.

Now down to the point where I need some input, I've decided that the best way to accurately portray this would be to have two different bodies, a Free Compan which would serve as the secret order part named the Blades of Nald'thal, and then a Linkshell which would then be the public face of the group. The logic behind the idea was that while you could only join one Free Company (and thus requiring you to be a full fledged member of the order to join ours) you can join up to 8 Linkshells, which meant that the Linkshell could contain outsiders, such as freelancer contractors, contacts, fences, or regular clients.

So from here I have three questions that I'm seeking some advice/input on. Firstly, what would be a good company to use as a front for an organization like this. I had considered perhaps going with a sort of freelance Carpenters Guild, (aka the Free Carpenters, instead of Free Masons) however this would require everyone to be carpenters in it and that's just not feasible. The other idea I had was that it be some kind of just freelance craftsman guild in general, for any kind of worker whether they be a miner, a weaver, or an armorsmith. Another idea I had as well was that they work sort of like a bank or money lender, and while that might be interesting and definitely something EVERYONE would deal with in a normal fantasy setting, I realize that the retainers effectively serve as banks (both in the sense of keeping your money and your items). So I'm looking for input on what would be a cool idea for a front company that isn't being used a lot already (especially by other LSs).

The next thing I'm kinda looking for help for is a name. While I already have a name for the FC I don't think it would be a good idea if the LS shares the same name. If you heard some shady rumors of a secret society that lurked about Ul'dah, and then there also just so happened to be a shop in the market ward that shared a name with the rumored secret society it might be a bit too obvious. So I was trying to think of a cool name that would work well for the group, or whether people think I should even bother with a separate name.

Lastly, I wanted an opinion on how viable people thought this idea even was in an RP sense. The idea is that the LS and the FC will somewhat support each other. The LS will contain most of the groups crafters and gathers, while the FC will contain the groups combat characters. Now this isn't at all to say that the two are mutually exclusive, just that when I plan events for say the LS I'd be more focused on "shop" type roleplay and things like that, while the Free Company would be more focused on dealing with threats, taking out an NM, or protecting a hamlet. If a person wants to play a DoH or DoL primarily they'd still be welcome in the FC, just the same as someone who wants to play a DoW or DoM can still freely join the LS.

Anyways, this is getting way longer than I meant for it to be. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on the ideas, and whether you guys think it's a good idea or perhaps a bit too ambitious.

So I have a group put together already, however the ideas that I have are still fluid and I'm continuing to work on them until launch when I'll be finalizing what I have. So far the idea is that I'll have both a LS and a FC that will be linked to one another IC, the story behind it is that they are supposed to be a secret society of "black knights" (not to be confused with Dark Knights) who serve the same purpose as a typical order of knights, to protect and serve the realm, but do so by sacrificing honor and renown for steely dedication to do absolutely anything to protect Eorzea. That means even if they would need to sacrifice the lives of a small town to save thousands of lives elsewhere, they would do so without hesitation. They make hard choices others cannot, and they do so in secret or behind anonymity.

The society itself is a well guarded secret that has existed since the Sixth Umbral Era, somewhat based on real world secret societies like the Knights Templar or the Free Masons/Illuminati, and like the Free Masons I wanted to give them a very public front that had to do with some form of crafting/gathering. So effectively there'd be a small office or shop that would be the public face of the organization, a place where members can come to receive orders anonymously, or where people who are in the know could contact the order if they needed them for something.

Now down to the point where I need some input, I've decided that the best way to accurately portray this would be to have two different bodies, a Free Compan which would serve as the secret order part named the Blades of Nald'thal, and then a Linkshell which would then be the public face of the group. The logic behind the idea was that while you could only join one Free Company (and thus requiring you to be a full fledged member of the order to join ours) you can join up to 8 Linkshells, which meant that the Linkshell could contain outsiders, such as freelancer contractors, contacts, fences, or regular clients.

So from here I have three questions that I'm seeking some advice/input on. Firstly, what would be a good company to use as a front for an organization like this. I had considered perhaps going with a sort of freelance Carpenters Guild, (aka the Free Carpenters, instead of Free Masons) however this would require everyone to be carpenters in it and that's just not feasible. The other idea I had was that it be some kind of just freelance craftsman guild in general, for any kind of worker whether they be a miner, a weaver, or an armorsmith. Another idea I had as well was that they work sort of like a bank or money lender, and while that might be interesting and definitely something EVERYONE would deal with in a normal fantasy setting, I realize that the retainers effectively serve as banks (both in the sense of keeping your money and your items). So I'm looking for input on what would be a cool idea for a front company that isn't being used a lot already (especially by other LSs).

The next thing I'm kinda looking for help for is a name. While I already have a name for the FC I don't think it would be a good idea if the LS shares the same name. If you heard some shady rumors of a secret society that lurked about Ul'dah, and then there also just so happened to be a shop in the market ward that shared a name with the rumored secret society it might be a bit too obvious. So I was trying to think of a cool name that would work well for the group, or whether people think I should even bother with a separate name.

Lastly, I wanted an opinion on how viable people thought this idea even was in an RP sense. The idea is that the LS and the FC will somewhat support each other. The LS will contain most of the groups crafters and gathers, while the FC will contain the groups combat characters. Now this isn't at all to say that the two are mutually exclusive, just that when I plan events for say the LS I'd be more focused on "shop" type roleplay and things like that, while the Free Company would be more focused on dealing with threats, taking out an NM, or protecting a hamlet. If a person wants to play a DoH or DoL primarily they'd still be welcome in the FC, just the same as someone who wants to play a DoW or DoM can still freely join the LS.

Anyways, this is getting way longer than I meant for it to be. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on the ideas, and whether you guys think it's a good idea or perhaps a bit too ambitious.

I co-ran a guild much like this in Guildwars 2, and in here in 1.0, before that. Love the idea. I think it has a lot of possibility.

Now, for those questions..

The guild I was in - The Midnight Covenant - used a tavern as it's 'front' so to speak. The idea behind it, was that the guildleader suffered from MPD. He had the 'real' him, who was pretty dark and sadistic. Good, but.. Yeah. Dark and sadistic. Then, there was the other him... Had a different name, and he was the owner of a tavern/merchant trading company (TMC was our initials. The Midnight Covenant/The Merchant Caravan. Or was it Company.. Ah well.)

The tavern was a real business, and the owner, though the same person as who lead the guild, had a -entirely- different personality. He's an awesome RPer in that regard, for being able to pull that off well.  Anywho, other members of the guild worked at the tavern as well, as bouncers and barmaids, etc.. All of them leading double lives. Other people interested in the guild OOCly would join up, and essentially be employed at the bar. Then, after X amount of time, they would be aprehended by dark, mysterious figures and inducted into the Covenant. The tavern also served as eyes and ears. The bartender would overhear rumors of things needing to be done, and the guild would do them. It was a requirement to wear masks, and they had to select outfits for guild missions, never to be worn otherwise. 

Now, you could do something similar with a bar.. But, since you're more interested in it being a crafting-based front, i would suggest a market, ala a Flea Market... Like, a bunch of crafters (fronts for people in the guild, possibly.. As well as contacts and such) would come to peddle their wares, while also keeping ears out. The area they do it in, is a marketplace owned by X company, or organization.

I'm not so good with names, so I'll leave that up to others.. But, for the last part. Yes. Feasible, very much so. Rolll with it, you have a good thing goin' here.

Also - I'm talking with one other LS/FC currently, buuuuut.. I'm highly interested in the Blades as well. Keep in touch. ^.~

Other people interested in the guild OOCly would join up, and essentially be employed at the bar. Then, after X amount of time, they would be aprehended by dark, mysterious figures and inducted into the Covenant.

This was actually exactly what I had in mind for recruit, which was why I wanted to create a LS and FC that were linked, but separate entities. You'd first join the LS as a staffer basically, for whatever business we decide on, and after working there for so long you'd be black bagged or something, taken out into the desert, and then interrogated. If you passed the test, you'd be invited into the order.

I hadn't actually considered a tavern though, so that's a definite possibility, especially after they introduce FC housing we could always try to set it up as some kind of tavern and leave it open to the public. One of the key things is anonymity, so I had also intended to utilize some kind of guild specific garments, even if it was something as simple as like a hempen cowl and your racial gear (something that can be worn by ever class and is easy to obtain even at early levels). One of the other ideas I had too was colorizing ranks, for example even though everyone is shrouded with masks or hoods you can tell rank by someone having a blue robe, or a red robe, etc. Initiates would have an undyed robe, while an officer might have a red or black robe, something like that.

One of the reasons behind a hempen cowl (beyond how easy it was to get) was that I felt it would humble people. You might be a level 50 Paladin who runs around in shiny white and gold armor outside of the order, but when you are with your brothers and sisters everyone is equal.

P.S. I actually like the idea of having different names with matching abbreviations, that's kind of cool though it might be difficult to do that with BoN.

Other people interested in the guild OOCly would join up, and essentially be employed at the bar. Then, after X amount of time, they would be aprehended by dark, mysterious figures and inducted into the Covenant.

This was actually exactly what I had in mind for recruit, which was why I wanted to create a LS and FC that were linked, but separate entities. You'd first join the LS as a staffer basically, for whatever business we decide on, and after working there for so long you'd be black bagged or something, taken out into the desert, and then interrogated. If you passed the test, you'd be invited into the order.

I hadn't actually considered a tavern though, so that's a definite possibility, especially after they introduce FC housing we could always try to set it up as some kind of tavern and leave it open to the public. One of the key things is anonymity, so I had also intended to utilize some kind of guild specific garments, even if it was something as simple as like a hempen cowl and your racial gear (something that can be worn by ever class and is easy to obtain even at early levels). One of the other ideas I had too was colorizing ranks, for example even though everyone is shrouded with masks or hoods you can tell rank by someone having a blue robe, or a red robe, etc. Initiates would have an undyed robe, while an officer might have a red or black robe, something like that.

One of the reasons behind a hempen cowl (beyond how easy it was to get) was that I felt it would humble people. You might be a level 50 Paladin who runs around in shiny white and gold armor outside of the order, but when you are with your brothers and sisters everyone is equal.

P.S. I actually like the idea of having different names with matching abbreviations, that's kind of cool though it might be difficult to do that with BoN.

I personally love the idea of a more... subtle uniform. Loc, on the other hand, did not. TMC's only requirement was that it be dark-colored, to be better suited for hiding at night and such. Other then that, you could pretty much wear whatever you wanted. It also had to be different from what you wore, day to day. In some cases, one such was a woman with fiery red hair, a little extra would be needed to cover up the more 'distinguishable' features. If you could be identified by it, it had to be covered. 

But, TMC wasn't militaristic so much as it was banditaristic. I made that word up.

With that in mind, BoN sounds much more organized and militarized, so ranking uniforms may very well work. Though, you might also consider uniforms based on classes, too. Or maybe class-archetypes.

Ranged wears certain type of uniform, casters wear a certain type, melee wears a certain type.. You could get infinitely detailed with it, or you could just have color requirements - IE, each rnak has a color scheme to adhere to - and let them wear what they want. Certain characters may have clothing preferences better suited to their abilities, and such.

I'm still gonna stand behind the market place idea as far as the front goes, but that's mainly because I detest tavern RP. It bores me to death. But! The tavern idea isn't bad.. I mean, it worked and it worked well. TMC actually used a tavern in GW2 from day 1. They RPed there often enough, and well enough, that it was publicly known we owned the tavern.. I can't say if it still works like that. GW2's community went to the crapper. Anywho, I digress.

I personally love the idea of a more... subtle uniform. Loc, on the other hand, did not. TMC's only requirement was that it be dark-colored, to be better suited for hiding at night and such. Other then that, you could pretty much wear whatever you wanted. It also had to be different from what you wore, day to day. In some cases, one such was a woman with fiery red hair, a little extra would be needed to cover up the more 'distinguishable' features. If you could be identified by it, it had to be covered. 

But, TMC wasn't militaristic so much as it was banditaristic. I made that word up.

With that in mind, BoN sounds much more organized and militarized, so ranking uniforms may very well work. Though, you might also consider uniforms based on classes, too. Or maybe class-archetypes.

Ranged wears certain type of uniform, casters wear a certain type, melee wears a certain type.. You could get infinitely detailed with it, or you could just have color requirements - IE, each rnak has a color scheme to adhere to - and let them wear what they want. Certain characters may have clothing preferences better suited to their abilities, and such.

I'm still gonna stand behind the market place idea as far as the front goes, but that's mainly because I detest tavern RP. It bores me to death. But! The tavern idea isn't bad.. I mean, it worked and it worked well. TMC actually used a tavern in GW2 from day 1. They RPed there often enough, and well enough, that it was publicly known we owned the tavern.. I can't say if it still works like that. GW2's community went to the crapper. Anywho, I digress.

Well us being based out of Ul'dah, the only taverns I can think of was one in Horizon (which wasn't really that taverny...), the Winding Sands or whatever it was called in Vesper Bay where the Scions are based out of (which makes it kind of off limits), and the Adventurer's Guild (which would also be off limits). The only way I could see a tavern working best would be with a FC house designed like a tavern. As far as Tavern RP goes, I'm kind of with you, however I can't deny that tavern rp draws the most people in.

One of the things I'm considering is that I really want to aim for the group to work with other FCs and LSs. For example, lets say a LS is planning some kind of event but maybe they need some muscle, or maybe they need some items crafted. Maybe one member heard a rumor about a group that could be contacted at a nearby market/tavern/whatever so they show up asking around with no luck, then as they're about to leave a shadowy figure calls them over into a nearby alley where they'd be questioned and it would be ascertained whether or not their request was legitimate, or worthy. If it was deemed worth the attention of the Blades, we'd then make some kind of contract with the other LS where the terms of our involvement is agreed upon, and during whatever event they're playing we'd show up and help in whatever way they needed.

On the flip side of this, lets say there is a LS planning something devious and sinister that might not jive well with our plans or ideals, we can't very well just sit by and allow this as dark arbiters of the peace and so we'd OOCly contact the other LS and try to setup some kind of event where the two of us could cross blades in some way, perhaps to try and thwart their schemes, or at the very least divert them a little.

One of the things I've always hated in MMOs was that guild RP always felt so isolated and uninvolved in the community as a whole, their stories were always very self contained and I want to break away from that and try to make it so that our group has a storyline, its own meta plot, but outsiders are welcome to take part in it, get involved, and likewise I want to open doors for us to get involved in the plots and stories of other groups as well.

Edit: As far as uniform goes, I'm still considering that and putting a lot of thought into it, so a uniform probably won't be decided on until sometime after launch. While I could just let people wear whatever they wanted so long as they dyed it a particular color to match their rank, I want a certain level of uniformity, so I think what I'd probably do is have three sets of gear required to be worn by every member during meetings and what not, one plate, one leather, and one cloth set of uniforms. Then from there the color of your uniform would determine your rank, and perhaps allow a set number of "mods" to the uniform based on rank, like allowing you to replace the gloves or boots with something of your choice, or replace the chest/head with something that resembles the original, since I've noticed there are a few different armor types that resemble lower level gear but are more stylized. This way there is a uniform, but it encourages participation and progress so you can gain rank and customize your "guild look" a bit more.

One of the things I definitely want is, in the event we take part in some kind of event run by another LS/FC, I want us to show up like a well oiled machine and people to be able to recognize the Blades of Nald'thal the moment they show up.

Yes. Yes.

Yes.

I won't, have no right to, debate over specifics.. But I think it'd flow just as well, or possibly even better, without the whole.. Dark figure calling them over.

Let me lay out a scenario, a depiction of how it'd go in my head.

Guy comes into a market. Tavern. Whatever. Guy needs help with stuff. Guy heard he could find someone here. Guy goes up to the bartender, or to a merchants stall, and asks. Merchant/tender don't know anything, they say. Guy goes to another, and another. One the last one, whenever the guy gets to what he would consider his 'last one', the merchant/whatever doesn't openly claim to know anyhting, but.. Answers the questions in a more riddly-indirect way. He never -says- he's part of the group, never gives off the opinion that he is.. But when it's all said in done, he's told Guy that Guy can expect the help to arrive when it's needed. Almost like the merchant/whatever is a messenger, but.. AGain, it's never said. Or, alternatively, Guy has no luck finding the information he wants, and he leaves. After he's gone, one of the merchants talks to someone else, who talks to someone else, who talks to someone else.. And the 'story' of Guy's need gets up the grapevine. BoN hears it from said grapevine, and they show up at the event. Surprise! Help is here!

That way, the people who'd want to fight with the BoN wouldn't think "Hey, we can go here, and fight that shadowy claoked guy."... Instead, it's Guy who comes in and asks, and BoN heres it from the grapevine. Or whatever.. That would also allude to more secrecy, because no one would be able to say with certainty where the BoN heard it from, and therfor no one would be able to point fingers at who's in the BoN. Last thing you want is for the eyes and ears of a secret society to not be secret.

Yes. Yes.

Yes.

I won't, have no right to, debate over specifics.. But I think it'd flow just as well, or possibly even better, without the whole.. Dark figure calling them over.

Let me lay out a scenario, a depiction of how it'd go in my head.

Guy comes into a market. Tavern. Whatever. Guy needs help with stuff. Guy heard he could find someone here. Guy goes up to the bartender, or to a merchants stall, and asks. Merchant/tender don't know anything, they say. Guy goes to another, and another. One the last one, whenever the guy gets to what he would consider his 'last one', the merchant/whatever doesn't openly claim to know anyhting, but.. Answers the questions in a more riddly-indirect way. He never -says- he's part of the group, never gives off the opinion that he is.. But when it's all said in done, he's told Guy that Guy can expect the help to arrive when it's needed. Almost like the merchant/whatever is a messenger, but.. AGain, it's never said. Or, alternatively, Guy has no luck finding the information he wants, and he leaves. After he's gone, one of the merchants talks to someone else, who talks to someone else, who talks to someone else.. And the 'story' of Guy's need gets up the grapevine. BoN hears it from said grapevine, and they show up at the event. Surprise! Help is here!

That way, the people who'd want to fight with the BoN wouldn't think "Hey, we can go here, and fight that shadowy claoked guy."... Instead, it's Guy who comes in and asks, and BoN heres it from the grapevine. Or whatever.. That would also allude to more secrecy, because no one would be able to say with certainty where the BoN heard it from, and therfor no one would be able to point fingers at who's in the BoN. Last thing you want is for the eyes and ears of a secret society to not be secret.

You make a very valid point, and of course with that scenario as far as the guy looking for help knows someone in the tavern, or standing on the street overheard him asking around about the group for help, it may not have even been anyone he spoke to directly. That's kind of the reason for keeping the LS and FC as separate entities, they're both under the same organization but the public never deals directly with the Blades, they always have to deal with some kind of go between which would be represented by the LS.

Exactly.

Just don't limit yourself by saying they're not dealing directly with the Blades... Well.

I'm assuming you aren't limiting people to one or the other.. Cause that'd be lame. So, for example.. SAy I'm in the Blades, adn in the LS, whatever it'll be called. I overhear Guy asking, through whatever means, and I go and tell an officer of the Blades. To me, that's about as direct as a secret society will get...

But, looking at it, I suppose that's not really direct.. Cause Guy never asked -me- and I never told Guy I was in the Blades. 

As I said, you got a good thing here. Roll with it, and get it set. We might have to talk more via PMs and/or Aim or something.. See if this is where Kaln wants to go, or Misericorde. Choices, choices. 

Also, if there's anything you need from me, ask. I'll offer all the advice and tips I can. Or if you just need someone to tell you to stoppit, cause that's dumb and you need to do it this way, I can do that too. ^.~

For now, it's bedtime.

Or if you just need someone to tell you to stoppit, cause that's dumb and you need to do it this way, I can do that too. ^.~

That's pretty much the point of this thread, to discuss ideas I have and see if they're doable, dumb, or great ideas. I'm trying to be ambitious with this group without biting off more than I can chew, and so far I've had a lot of support from interested parties and current members hammering out all the ideas and what not.

Also, let me reiterate something. No one will ever KNOWINGLY deal directly with the Blades. You may end up talking to Ashren himself out on the street while trying to enlist their help or find out more information about the order, but the point is that you'll never actually know the guy you just spoke to a moment ago was a member of the order. Even once they decide to take a job and show up in person, I think they'd be very careful never to reveal their identities to their clients. Ashen is a man of many hats and many masks, you might spend a day asking around the market ward about the Blades only to happen upon a stall run by a friendly merchant who turns out to be very helpful and has exactly what you're looking for, even if he might be a tad cryptic and what not. Then later on you might return to said stall trying to get a little more information or something only to find the stall isn't there any longer and no one recalls there ever being a stall there to begin with.

Little things like that, I feel, will make for very fun RP. So in short, when I say you'll never directly deal with the Blades I don't mean members of the FC, but that you'll never know whether someone you talked to was a member, or just someone who knew a thing or two about a thing or two.

I also think it'd be much cooler than having their existence be some kind of rumor that people whisper about, instead perhaps they pay off the local merchants and stuff the perpetrate the belief that they're just an urban legend or bandit superstition. For example if someone goes looking around for them they met get told something like the Blades are just some Syndicate story made up to keep merchants paying their taxes, or something similar to that. If their existence was just uttered in whispers, that could eventually get out and their existence could become widely known. If instead people acknowledge the rumors but foster the idea that they're false, mislead people into thinking it's nothing but stories then no matter how much someone talks about them their existence is still something of a secret.

Ah, well. If that's the point, then all I can say thus far is that you're on the right track. You've got your head in the right place, a solid foundation from the looks of it. Having the support of your members is definitely a big thing as well.

Only thing left, is why is Kaln not in it? xD

Ah, well. If that's the point, then all I can say thus far is that you're on the right track. You've got your head in the right place, a solid foundation from the looks of it. Having the support of your members is definitely a big thing as well.

Only thing left, is why is Kaln not in it? xD

You're more than welcome to join! I was just waiting to see if you were going to go with us or Misericorde. So far you've been the only person to give me any feedback anyways!

So far you've been the only person to give me any feedback anyways!

I've noticed.. Not sure whyfor that is. Ah well.

I'll shoot you a message un momento, and we'll see what we can see. ^.^

You'd think with 11 replies already there'd be more than just us talking in here! Maybe people feel that because the discussion is LS specific it's not an open conversation? That's not the case if that's what people think! I encourage everyone to comment and give suggestions, I'm looking for input and feedback from anyone who will give it.

Well I like your Idea and ran a guild much like it in Rift the concept is a lot of fun and it looks like you have a better grasp on it then I did at the time so I think it will be great. On a side note a number of people from that guild have come over here to ARR and we have formed The Red Hand Trading Company, and lets just say that I think the Red Hand and the Order could probably work well together. Even if Red Hand doesn't actually know it's the Order they are working with.

So I was considering some ideas for uniform and was looking through the files on XIVDB trying to decide what would work well while being relatively accessible early in the game. So far I think I've compiled a decent enough list of what would probably work, however it might be difficult to know for certain since I'm basing my ideas on thumbnails and I'll need to actually see the sets in game before making any final decision, buuut the idea I'm leaning towards would be as follows.

Plate: Iron Cuirass, Iron Gauntlets, Padded Cotton Trousers, Iron Sabatons

Leather: Goatskin Jacket, Goatskin Armguards, Goatskin Brais, Goatskin Leggings

Cloth: Cotton Cowl, Cotton Halfgloves, Cotton Tights, Hard Leather Boots

All classes would wear something like an Ash Mask to cover their faces when meeting non-members under their true identity.

I tried to pick the best looking gear (as far as I could remember from beta) for each class of gear, though I may change my mind come phase 4 when I can play around with it a bit more. The gear selection also means that the uniforms require you be level 15 to 20 to wear, but that's another reason while I'll need to wait to see what I can do come launch, because there may be much easier options.