Entirely new!

Hello all!

As you can probably guess by me posting in the Welcome Desk and by this being my first post I'm an entirely new person joining the fray, so, hi!

I'm not new to RP at all (though I did just play in my first play by post last week!  Outside of Doctor Who, I don't think there's a better use of the phrase Timey-Wimey for how that can get though it's super fun) and I've played in a few MMOs prior to now.  I run LARPs IRL though I'm on break after running a two year Legend of Five Rings game and I'm currently in the process of playing/leaving a Vampire the Masquerade (Not Requiem, I wish it were...) game.

I love RP though and that's what usually draws me into games.  Straight social... I get a little bored but in past games (GW2, City of Heroes, TSW) I loved the idea of meandering around with my fellow players in the world and roleplaying through events and weaving ourselves into the story and meeting new people.  I flat out love meeting new people in game.  Seriously, I do a happy raptor dance IRL when I run into RPers in the game world (there are no gifs of this... yet...)

I will admit my bias is older FF games.  Though I love X and refuse to hear ill spoke of it.  Let's see... I like both J and Kpop though I've got a HUGE Morning Musume bias :lol: so that might be a dangerous one to bring up.  I actually legitimately love hearing about people's characters and how they're creating them and their history and stuff so if you ever want an ear to bounce ideas off from?  I'm your huckleberry.

So far I'm not entirely certain what I'm playing but I'm leaning towards a Miqo'te Arcanist who's parents were something of anthropologists investigating the beast tribes to study the primals but that's all gooby-wooby forming in my head.

OH!  I also draw!  I'm stupid lazy though... so I'll freely admit getting me to do pictures can be like pulling teeth though I'll always finish it.  But, since I usually only charge in game money (or assistance with bosses) I think that's okay to wait two weeks for my lazy butt.  

Lookin forward to meeting you all!

Welcome!

While I don't associate Miqo'te with umm.. arcanist/researchy stuff, there's always the ones who break the mold. xD Immerse yourself in the lore and have fun! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Hit up the artisan house forum and show us your stuff! We're a bunch of art whores here. I mean.... There are a lot of talented people here already, and the rest of us who can't manage it looove to see what you all can do! :)

Think less stuffy library and more... Indiana Jones.  Ah, it's still forming but I liked the idea of playing with the dichotomy and seeing if I could make an interesting conflict for a person.  Ideally with a little less "going to ignore my culture" and a little more "how do I reconcile my culture and what I am" though ^_^;  I've a bugaboo about just ditching culture entirely for RP.

That said she's all Moon-y and Moon-like so there's a little bit of that kittenish stand-back-and-poke-it I think.

Imma start a doodle of Koren then.... ooh!  Speed challenge time.

Think less stuffy library and more... Indiana Jones.  Ah, it's still forming but I liked the idea of playing with the dichotomy and seeing if I could make an interesting conflict for a person.  Ideally with a little less "going to ignore my culture" and a little more "how do I reconcile my culture and what I am" though ^_^;  I've a bugaboo about just ditching culture entirely for RP.

That said she's all Moon-y and Moon-like so there's a little bit of that kittenish stand-back-and-poke-it I think.

Imma start a doodle of Koren then.... ooh!  Speed challenge time.

Do like. Reasons are GOOD!

Also, the character creator / benchmark is now out! Get your butt over to it and make her! :)

While I don't associate Miqo'te with umm.. arcanist/researchy stuff, there's always the ones who break the mold. xD Immerse yourself in the lore and have fun! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I could be wrong but I kind of remember seeing a Miqo'te in the Arcanist Guild where you can see them... I assume training their Carbuncles. Besides, while it's likely to say that the majority of Miqo'te are not inclined to higher intellectual pursuits, if we as players can break the mold of the norm there is nothing that says that generations before us were not capable of it as well.

Personally I think it could be really cool to see characters that might fit the naming conventions but don't fall into the societal norms for their race. I wouldn't necessarily associate Miqo'te with cockney prostitutes or sailors either, but we have those!

I could be wrong but I kind of remember seeing a Miqo'te in the Arcanist Guild where you can see them... I assume training their Carbuncles. Besides, while it's likely to say that the majority of Miqo'te are not inclined to higher intellectual pursuits, if we as players can break the mold of the norm there is nothing that says that generations before us were not capable of it as well.

Personally I think it could be really cool to see characters that might fit the naming conventions but don't fall into the societal norms for their race.

I know. I just like to see reasons for not following x convention. :) Which most people are more than likely to have!

Personally I think it could be really cool to see characters that might fit the naming conventions but don't fall into the societal norms for their race.

I know. I just like to see reasons for not following x convention. :) Which most people are more than likely to have!

To be honest I only speak somewhat defensively because at times I kind of feel a bit like a turd for using the orphan trope as an excuse to play a Miqo'te like an Elezen. xD

Welcome to the community, Koren.

X is one of my favorites as well, and I'm considering replaying it and seeing how far I can get before beta arrives. I have Doctor Who in my Netflix queue, but I haven't finished the first season yet, I believe. I need to stop putting that off (if I wasn't on a bandwidth limit, I'd just watch the entire series while waiting).

My character is a Miqo'te that is interested in magic and research as well, particularly involving the Aether itself. I hope to see you in game.

To be honest I only speak somewhat defensively because at times I kind of feel a bit like a turd for using the orphan trope as an excuse to play a Miqo'te like an Elezen. xD

FOR SHAMEEEEE

..My Miqo'te is very Hyurish in her interests due to her upbringing. But I also have the 1.0 excuse. x_x

But the thing is, they are still Miqo'te and still have those underlying traits that make them such. While Aysun acts more Hyurish than most Miqo'te, I could not roll her a Hyur and have her make any sense whatsoever. Her race is still a part of her personality. :)

Welcome to the community, Koren.

X is one of my favorites as well, and I'm considering replaying it and seeing how far I can get before beta arrives. I have Doctor Who in my Netflix queue, but I haven't finished the first season yet, I believe. I need to stop putting that off (if I wasn't on a bandwidth limit, I'd just watch the entire series while waiting).

My character is a Miqo'te that is interested in magic and research as well, particularly involving the Aether itself. I hope to see you in game.

I'll definitely keep that in mind!  I'm always looking for RP ties and eventually when I get 30% less lazy and put up information about Koren maybe they'll be two that can work well together!

I'm still learning a lot about the game and the culture as I'm trying to design her so she makes a bit more sense as someone in the world but I think I've gotten a few basic traits down to try and make sure she plays well with others.  Though... of course, this means I'm going to be reading Kevaraan's RP posts to learn about him ^_^; what can I say, I really do like reading characters.

I've only posted in one forum thread so far, "An Evening in Gridania", but it has been fun. I may consider adding my characters to other threads that crop up, if I can find an opening.

The wiki is also a great place to read about characters and their histories, but mine remains incomplete (and probably needs some art to go with it).

Maybe our characters can meet in the forums before launch...

Ashren is of the scholarly mind himself, especially for a Miqo'te. He was raised in and around the Temple of Thal, he's a member of the Arrzaneth Ossuary (as a Thaumaturge), so he's everything you would expect from the stories one hears of that place, including but not limited to something of a mad scientist tinkering in the arts of alchemy, he's rumored to own a reproduction of the Necrologos that may or may not contain a powerful Voidsent inside of it... if one were to believe rumors. He's deeply interested in the study of Aether, though his primary focus is that of internal Aether, how it flows through the body and can produce incredible affects, and as of late he's taken an interest in the way this can even be used to create words into powerful affects (via Arcanist).

His adopted father was a Thaumaturge as well, though before that he was a Lancer and because of this Ashren was sort of forced to endure of life of both physical and mental hardships and rigorous training and studies. I sort of use this as a mechanic to explain in some small way his ability to sort of stand out above the normal characters (NPCs primarily) while attempting to not make him into a gary stue.

All this being said I think your character and mind would find each other interesting, so if you find yourself on Balmung I look forward to studying your brain... I mean meeting you.

I don't know how much I can say because I'm still researching and learning lore to make sure I make sense. ^_^;

For instance; I knew that she'd be an odd one out (or at least suspected) being a Miqo'te Arcanist judging from the art and most of the works suggesting they're a very physical people.  I'm still trying to figure out what makes sense for her parents to have been researching and what they were doing it for, and what sort of lifestyle that meant for her.

I like the idea of her viewing what she does as an art rather than a science; her study of Aether being kind of aesthetic in a sense?  If that makes any sense -- I was thinking how the Arcanists use their books.

Of course, this is really early on.  Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and she'll be a Legally Blonde expy who's flighty and girly and seems flaky but actually has a talent despite her airheaded persona.:lol:

Based on racial statistics it suggests that the Seekers are more physical inclined while the Keepers are slightly more inclined towards mental attributes. There really isn't a huge difference in the two Clans but Keepers have a higher Mind (thus a greater capacity for channeling Aether) and I believe they have a higher Intelligence.

Somehow the line about her being a Keeper got cut out when I edited this to make sense.  Keepers seem to have a bit higher mind and piety and lower physicals and their personality traits kinda meshed so... yeah.

Fufufufufu~  But, yeah, I kind of like the feel of the Keepers so I was going for that.  

Watching the anime Paprika makes me want to steal traits from said character for my own.  That mysterious cheerfulness... My goodness, I think I have a personality!

Hello all!

As you can probably guess by me posting in the Welcome Desk and by this being my first post I'm an entirely new person joining the fray, so, hi!

I'm not new to RP at all (though I did just play in my first play by post last week!  Outside of Doctor Who, I don't think there's a better use of the phrase Timey-Wimey for how that can get though it's super fun) and I've played in a few MMOs prior to now.  I run LARPs IRL though I'm on break after running a two year Legend of Five Rings game and I'm currently in the process of playing/leaving a Vampire the Masquerade (Not Requiem, I wish it were...) game.

I love RP though and that's what usually draws me into games.  Straight social... I get a little bored but in past games (GW2, City of Heroes, TSW) I loved the idea of meandering around with my fellow players in the world and roleplaying through events and weaving ourselves into the story and meeting new people.  I flat out love meeting new people in game.  Seriously, I do a happy raptor dance IRL when I run into RPers in the game world (there are no gifs of this... yet...)

I will admit my bias is older FF games.  Though I love X and refuse to hear ill spoke of it.  Let's see... I like both J and Kpop though I've got a HUGE Morning Musume bias :lol: so that might be a dangerous one to bring up.  I actually legitimately love hearing about people's characters and how they're creating them and their history and stuff so if you ever want an ear to bounce ideas off from?  I'm your huckleberry.

So far I'm not entirely certain what I'm playing but I'm leaning towards a Miqo'te Arcanist who's parents were something of anthropologists investigating the beast tribes to study the primals but that's all gooby-wooby forming in my head.

OH!  I also draw!  I'm stupid lazy though... so I'll freely admit getting me to do pictures can be like pulling teeth though I'll always finish it.  But, since I usually only charge in game money (or assistance with bosses) I think that's okay to wait two weeks for my lazy butt.  

Lookin forward to meeting you all!

Let me just tell you that as an older SNES era FF fan you won't be disappointed. I seriously would put the story that I've seen so far next to my personal favorites IV and VI. I think you will be -very- pleased.

Ashren is of the scholarly mind himself, especially for a Miqo'te. He was raised in and around the Temple of Thal, he's a member of the Arrzaneth Ossuary (as a Thaumaturge), so he's everything you would expect from the stories one hears of that place, including but not limited to something of a mad scientist tinkering in the arts of alchemy, he's rumored to own a reproduction of the Necrologos that may or may not contain a powerful Voidsent inside of it... if one were to believe rumors. He's deeply interested in the study of Aether, though his primary focus is that of internal Aether, how it flows through the body and can produce incredible affects, and as of late he's taken an interest in the way this can even be used to create words into powerful affects (via Arcanist).

His adopted father was a Thaumaturge as well, though before that he was a Lancer and because of this Ashren was sort of forced to endure of life of both physical and mental hardships and rigorous training and studies. I sort of use this as a mechanic to explain in some small way his ability to sort of stand out above the normal characters (NPCs primarily) while attempting to not make him into a gary stue.

All this being said I think your character and mind would find each other interesting, so if you find yourself on Balmung I look forward to studying your brain... I mean meeting you.

Also, I LOVE EXALTED!  Ahem.  That is all.