Greetings!

Apoc1216

Hello and well met! I am quite new, as a matter of fact VERY NEW to the RP community and RPing in general. I'm not really sure what else to post as I usually tend to lurk in forums instead of actually participating. I was told to register here and start becoming active in the community to get a good idea of how it will be! I managed to grab the 100 questions about your character to start and honestly...this is quite a lot.

I was wondering just how to come up with a great backstory. I have ideas but nothing 'feels' right with my character. Any advice (if you can give any, if not it's fine) would be most welcomed.

Welcome from newbie to another!! :D

If you want, I can help you figure out how to create/develop your character some time. Just send me a PM and I'll help you the best you can. Same with any problems you might have with RP and the like! I mean, I'm not an expert, but I like to think I know my RP and character stuff heheh!

But again, welcome to the forum. From what I've seen, the community is pretty friendly, so hopefully you should feel right at home! Maybe we can even rp together once you've got your character all figured out? After all, I've been wanting to come across some sort of rp partner or something for a while now haha

Welcome from newbie to another!! :D

If you want, I can help you figure out how to create/develop your character some time. Just send me a PM and I'll help you the best you can. Same with any problems you might have with RP and the like! I mean, I'm not an expert, but I like to think I know my RP and character stuff heheh!

But again, welcome to the forum. From what I've seen, the community is pretty friendly, so hopefully you should feel right at home! Maybe we can even rp together once you've got your character all figured out? After all, I've been wanting to come across some sort of rp partner or something for a while now haha

Thank you for the offer, I will definitely message you if I have any questions or just need someone to bounce ideas off. Thank you for the warm welcome, and thank you Nel for that video. I am already learning a lot and will continue to do so!

Boy, after Nel came out with her wonderful welcoming video, I almost feel redundant in my greetings :blush:. But I will say that, as far as ideas for character backstory, there are quite a few discussions going on throughout the forums on various lore and race topics, and you might find one that either applies to your concept, or sparks a little idea in your head on which way you'd like to take your character. I see in your avatar info you have a character name already, so at least you've gotten that far :P If you do get stuck for an idea...go ahead and pose a question on the forums. There are plenty of people willing to chime in and help.

Good luck with your character, and I hope to see you in game :thumbsup:

Being new to RP, and Eorzea in general, I would recommend one of two things: if you are the type to launch yourself fully into something, then utilize this great site, and the great people here to ask thousands of questions about race, lore, RP specifics, etc. I've never come across a friendlier community than this.

If you are the type who feels overwhelmed, 'where do I start!' (As I did when I first started rping), I recommend taking it slow. Consider a hyur, or a hyur-raised character, raised in a familiar setting to you, so that your character is 'easier' to play. You won't hav to know lore and racial histories right away, because they won't pertain directly to your character. You'll be able to piece them together over time, either strengthening the story of your current character, or perhaps inspiring you to make a new one altogerher!

*Don't be afraid of mistakes, we all make them.

*Don't be afraid to ask questions, your peers love to help!

*Make up several backstories. Make up 20! The more you practice it, the better and more fleshed out they will become.

*Do not rely solely on your backstory! Remember that your characters live in the present! If they are defined only by their past, their present amd future will not be very interesting. I've been rping my current character for 2 months, and she's only revealed parts of her backstory to 2 people. Backstory is a foundation that should help shape your character, not completey define them. By being receptive to what goes on around you right now, your character should find plenty of RP opportunities.

*I love to RP with new people, to try and spread the RP love, so hit me up anytime!

Good luck!

Hello and well met! I am quite new, as a matter of fact VERY NEW to the RP community and RPing in general. I'm not really sure what else to post as I usually tend to lurk in forums instead of actually participating. I was told to register here and start becoming active in the community to get a good idea of how it will be! I managed to grab the 100 questions about your character to start and honestly...this is quite a lot.

I was wondering just how to come up with a great backstory. I have ideas but nothing 'feels' right with my character. Any advice (if you can give any, if not it's fine) would be most welcomed.

Welcome from another new comer to this site of wonderful friendly people!  As for your backstory, well you already have some of it.  By saying something doesn't feel right at least you know what you don't want to play.  See if you can define what one or two main characteristics that you want and go from there.

Being new to RP, and Eorzea in general, I would recommend one of two things: if you are the type to launch yourself fully into something, then utilize this great site, and the great people here to ask thousands of questions about race, lore, RP specifics, etc. I've never come across a friendlier community than this.

If you are the type who feels overwhelmed, 'where do I start!' (As I did when I first started rping), I recommend taking it slow. Consider a hyur, or a hyur-raised character, raised in a familiar setting to you, so that your character is 'easier' to play. You won't hav to know lore and racial histories right away, because they won't pertain directly to your character. You'll be able to piece them together over time, either strengthening the story of your current character, or perhaps inspiring you to make a new one altogerher!

*Don't be afraid of mistakes, we all make them.

*Don't be afraid to ask questions, your peers love to help!

*Make up several backstories. Make up 20! The more you practice it, the better and more fleshed out they will become.

*Do not rely solely on your backstory! Remember that your characters live in the present! If they are defined only by their past, their present amd future will not be very interesting. I've been rping my current character for 2 months, and she's only revealed parts of her backstory to 2 people. Backstory is a foundation that should help shape your character, not completey define them. By being receptive to what goes on around you right now, your character should find plenty of RP opportunities.

*I love to RP with new people, to try and spread the RP love, so hit me up anytime!

Good luck!

Ooo thank you for the advice! I actually am going a Hyur Midlander with a family background! I worked out some ideas last night and I got a few questions answered for the 100 questions about your character, it's really helping. Again, thank you guys for the warm welcomes. This is definitely 1000000x times better than what I have seen with some communities!