My Soul to Keep (Story/Open RP)

((Hey all! Please feel free to jump in and join me if you like, or I shall simply keep adding pieces as the inspiration hits))

My Soul to Keep

Nica: http://i40.tinypic.com/205z4.png

Pale white, skin of the moon, she seldom shows her teeth. Eyes aglow; shimmering gold - minute observations made beneath layers of distance as vast as the Thanalan desert sands surrounding the city she was in.

Nica, by name; Keeper of the Moon, and prowler of night - distant in soul as the stars shining quietly over the Ul'dah streets. A bundle of cute and tragedy wrapped in a petite, five foot frame. She walked with a shuffling, directionless, stumble as the blood on her side dripped through her robe and touched in rhythmic splashes onto the dry sand beneath her bare feet.

Slumping against a wall; her hand guided her, seeing what her eyes could not. Not that she was blind, but the great golden orbs that were her pupils stared unfocused, while her hand clutched her side. Sticky. Wet. She lifted the bloody palm in front of her face and slowly blinked. As the nighttime activities of the shady city-state went unnoticed around her, she sat with a plop. Her legs no longer seemed to work.

She stared at them; watched her toes move, and wondered who these feet belonged to.

"Who am I?" She asked.

((Hey all! Please feel free to jump in and join me if you like, or I shall simply keep adding pieces as the inspiration hits))

[align=center]My Soul to Keep[/align]

Pale white, skin of the moon, she seldom shows her teeth. Eyes aglow; shimmering gold - minute observations made beneath layers of distance as vast as the Thanalan desert sands surrounding the city she was in.

Nica, by name; Keeper of the Moon, and prowler of night - distant in soul as the stars shining quietly over the Ul'dah streets. A bundle of cute and tragedy wrapped in a petite, five foot frame. She walked with a shuffling, directionless, stumble as the blood on her side dripped through her robe and touched in rhythmic splashes onto the dry sand beneath her bare feet.

Slumping against a wall; her hand guided her, seeing what her eyes could not. Not that she was blind, but the great golden orbs that were her pupils stared unfocused, while her hand clutched her side. Sticky. Wet. She lifted the bloody palm in front of her face and slowly blinked. As the nighttime activities of the shady city-state went unnoticed around her, she sat with a plop. Her legs no longer seemed to work.

She stared at them; watched her toes move, and wondered who these feet belonged to.

"Who am I?" She asked.

Excellent! I don't think I could do better but here goes nothing! :)

She looks up and sees a tall tanned Highlander staring down at her. A few seconds go by with no answer and then he kneels down slowly, his face on a few inches away from hers. He looks pierces the young Miqo'te with his deep green eyes and gives a malevolent smirk. He opens his mouth and says, "...."

I'll let you guys decide on that ;)

(How would go about adding to it? Newbie question)

((If your character was in Ul'dah, passing by, and saw this happening, how would they react? Describe their actions, and what they would say. Its as simple as that =). However, you can't force actions on another player, only offer possibilities. For example, if your character wanted to tackle Unlikely, you would write; 'VLLL lunged at the hyur, trying to knock him off balance'. That would give Unlikely the control to decide whether or not his character gets knocked over. If you wanted to scoop Nica up and run her to a clinic, or drown her in the ocean, you would write something like; 'VLLL went to scoop the Miqo'te up, sensing she was in danger/in desperate need to throw her in the ocean'. That way I get to decide if Nica is scooped up or not.

Make sense? I'll wait for you to post. Rawr! :3

*squeals in excitement at new rpers entering the thread* it'll be a great chance to learn!))

(How would go about adding to it? Newbie question)

((If your character was in Ul'dah, passing by, and saw this happening, how would they react? Describe their actions, and what they would say. Its as simple as that =). However, you can't force actions on another player, only offer possibilities. For example, if your character wanted to tackle Unlikely, you would write; 'VLLL lunged at the hyur, trying to knock him off balance'. That would give Unlikely the control to decide whether or not his character gets knocked over. If you wanted to scoop Nica up and run her to a clinic, or drown her in the ocean, you would write something like; 'VLLL went to scoop the Miqo'te up, sensing she was in danger/in desperate need to throw her in the ocean'. That way I get to decide if Nica is scooped up or not.

Make sense? I'll wait for you to post. Rawr! :3

*squeals in excitement at new rpers entering the thread* it'll be a great chance to learn!))

I'm glad to participate Magellan! Now lets hope I can do it right!:P

The Weaver's work was on display across the way from where Isobeau stood in the shadows. Fate would take this Miqo'te's life, or fate would not, but whether or not the Duskwight's own life thread would become interwoven with this one's depended on what happened in the next few moments.

Isobeau continued to look down the darkened avenues, watching and waiting for those who might be pursuing their lost prey, or tracking their botched execution.

Are you lost, kitten?

The words reach her from far away, and she looks up at the tan highlander, a flicker of curiosity darkening within her eyes. She tries to sit up, mewling in pain as she does.

"Master?" She asks. "Is that you?"

She shakes her head, trying to clear it; so many odd thoughts tumbling around inside it. If any were to check the back of her head, they would notice the lump from the blow struck there, with dried blood caked to her white, dark-highlighted hair.

"Tell me what to do..." she mumbles. "Nica is... lost."

Are you lost, kitten?

The words reach her from far away, and she looks up at the tan highlander, a flicker of curiosity darkening within her eyes. She tries to sit up, mewling in pain as she does.

"Master?" She asks. "Is that you?"

She shakes her head, trying to clear it; so many odd thoughts tumbling around inside it. If any were to check the back of her head, they would notice the lump from the blow struck there, with dried blood caked to her white, dark-highlighted hair.

"Tell me what to do..." she mumbles. "Nica is... lost."

"Perfect", the Highlander thinks to himself.

"My poor dear Nica! What has happened to you? All bloodied and beaten! Why here, let good ol' Lodine bring you back home."

The Highlander picks up the wounded miqo'te and holds her in his arms. 

"This is too easy", he thinks. 

Halfway down the alley he sees an elezen looking on. Their eyes lock and Lodine stands there for a second, and then shouts, "whata you lookin' at ya wench?!", and quickens his pace down the alley.

Something felt... wrong. Master was never this kind. Nor had she heard the name Lodine before. As the man paused to yell at someone, Nica turned her head, and looked curiously at the Duskwight. She was pretty; half her face was the moon, and half her face was the night sky, and she couldn't tell which half she liked better.

"Whata lookin at ya wench!" the man cried, before walking away.

Nica placed her head against his shoulder, to peer over it at the receding Duskwight. Were all pretty people called wenches? She would have to remember that, for future use.

Part of her wanted to purr, part of her wanted to get away, and part of her waited for further instruction. Master would tell her what to do, he always had. Master... her eyes slid shut... Nica won't fail...

"I promise," she said.

Isobeau shoved herself off the wall in a casual saunter, as the Hyur carrying the wounded Miqo'te wasn't necessarily making good time down the alleyway, but the Duskwight did not care to overtake the two...yet.

"Are you claiming some right of salvage over this one?" the Elezen said, motioning towards the cradled cat-girl. "Because I don't really think she was yours to begin with." Her sensitive hearing began to scan the area for any further sounds of pursuit echoing down the pathway. That Hyur had not been the one to wound the Mi'qote, Isobeau was fairly sure, and she wanted to ensure the ones who did weren't about to storm onto the scene, before letting Nymeia spin her wheel any further.

"Whata lookin at ya wench!"

Vlll had barely spent over two moons in Ul'Dah, but he wasn't used to such foul language outside of the muddy streets of Pearl Lane. He looked over the extensive lists that Serendipity had handed to him, and saw a Hyur lifting a Miqo'te while shouting profanities at a fellow Duskwight with quite an unusual face.

Something about the scene seemed out of place, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Vlll moved closer to the Duskwight, his curiosity sparked (as always).

"Is everything ok?" - he asked.

Before getting his answer, however, the Duskwight followed the Hyur through the alleys. Something certainly was going on, and he wanted to know more. Tucking the materials list in his pocket, he followed quietly.

(My first try at a story)

((very nicely done VLLL - welcome to Roleplay!! *hugs*))

Nica was being followed now by the night sky and a half-moon; both things she liked. She continued to peer over Lodine's shoulder at them, even making a small reaching motion with her hand...

... until the pain in her side flared up again. She whimpered, and drew her hand back.

"Master..., I think the wench and the man want to talk to us. Maybe... one of them can help fix Nica..."

Isobeau nodded slightly at the white-haired Duskwight matching her pace behind the shuffling Hyur and the mewling Miqo'te. It was common for her kind to form instant bonds when faced with collective adversity. Experience taught the shadowy Elezen that there were very few upon Eorza they could safely rely upon 'cept themselves.

"Far be it for me to play the vigilante, but if this one gets anywhere near the authorities, the story quickly becomes we were the ones that bloodied his date, and you know as well as I who they will believe, and what happens next." She turned to look directly at her new companion, locking his gaze with a single amber eye. "This is where Nymeia's wheel is set to spin the critical thread in the night's tapestry. Our fates are either soon to be entangled with that of the Miqo'te's, or they are not."

The two dusky Elezen continued to follow in silence for a few moments.

"Its almost too delicious a moment to interrupt. I do love to watch the Fickle Goddess weave her wares." Isobeau whispered through an almost rapturous half-smile.

After Lodine had shouted to the duskwright he made note to quicken his pace. "Nica" as the miqo'te had called herself, started to mumble something to him. But it did not matter, nothing mattered now. As he kept on walking he noticed the soft touch of the miqo'te's skin. Soon malicious thoughts began to swarm in Lodine's mind.

"Such perfect skin, such perfect.... meat!"

Lodine was no ordinary outcast. Forced to hide many moons ago for the taboo he had commited in his earlier days. 

Then he felt a presence. That damn duskwright was following him! And it looks as though she had brought a friend! 

Normally he would have confronted such people.... but something about that elezen. Her gaze... piercing!

He would have to think of something. His plans would be ruined if he did not think quickly!

Why... his dinner would be spoiled.

Vlll kept running behind the group, trying to keep up. The look from the mysterious Duskwight confirmed something was certainly off. The pace of the Hyur, however, was quite fast for someone carrying weight, and at this rate he would manage to flee or reach a guard before being caught. He remembered one of the teachings from his mentor.

"If you can't beat them, outsmart them."

Taking a detour, he ran towards an Aetheryte. If he couldn't run as fast as the Hyur, he would teleport ahead of where he was running.

When he appeared on a different Aetheryte, he could see the chase from ahead, but he still had to find a way to try and stop them without harming the Miqo'te.

Isobeau observed the Hyur shoot furtive glances over his shoulder at the trailing Duskwights. She could see the wheels of thought racing behind suspicious eyes, just as the wheels of fate were turning for them all.

As she had been conducting various business tasks within the Ul'dah marketplace, Isobeau did not carry her primary weapon of choice; the lance. She did carry a pair of knuckles of her own making on her hips, however, and though she wasn't as adept at wielding these weapons, she could hold her own in a brawl if needed. Whether they would be necessary here remained to be seen.

"It looks like big boy here is getting a bit antsy, friend" she said quietly to the adjacent Elezen. "I don't much care to spin the wheel myself, but I do so enjoy to watch the effects. What would you have us do? Turn tail and forget what we saw tonight, or turn the tide on behalf of this Miqo'te."

Without a word, the Duskwight male turned down a side alley and quickly ran out of sight.

"Well, that was unexpected" Isobeau said with a shrug and raised brow. His action suggested either option, or neither. Dropping her crossed arms down to her belt, she continued to follow the dark forms before her, though in a quite more precarious position.

(( you guys are going to help me out with the location names but do you guys know of the aetheryte town in thanalan? Like the one near the cobbler's coffin or whatever? And the little village of poor people, where there was a fate of killing cactuars and collecting their seeds? Yeah, those places))

Lodine quickly made his way to the steps of Nald. He glanced over his shoulder to check on his pursuers. One of them was gone! 

"They must be planning something", he thought to himself.

He could still make out the figure of the women that was tailing him. Something about her... what was it. Her gaze... it made him uneasy.

He made it outside of ul'dah. He quickly glanced around for a chocobo. It seemed a naive adventurer had left one ripe for the picking, the fool. He quickly placed the wounded miqo'te on the bird and rode of into northern Thanalan.

As he rode the young Miqo'te seemed to say something but he could not make out the words. He then remembered that she called him master. It reminded him of his... the one he would be dining with, along with his new founded group of brothers and sisters. Murders, thieves, outcasts, all of them! But their leader... He never judged. He never judged Lodine of his crimes. He embraced it even. Encouraged it! 

Lodine remembered the memory. The bloody memory of when he first sank his teeth into his own kind. When he could not resist the temptation to eat the meet of another Hyur. But what would a Miqo'te taste like? Coeurl? As he neared the N. Thanalan aetheryte he thought to himself:

"Well I'm about to find out."

(( you guys are going to help me out with the location names but do you guys know of the aetheryte town in thanalan? Like the one near the cobbler's coffin or whatever? And the little village of poor people, where there was a fate of killing cactuars and collecting their seeds? Yeah, those places))

((http://www.ffxivinfo.com/images/maps/l/thanalan-combo.jpg I found this, there are 4 Aetherytes. I think you mean Black Brush Station? When I said I ported I meant inside city, but to a point ahead (like going from the Aetheryte in Weaver's Guild to The Colisseum))

((Okay, I'm going to attempt to reel this scene in a little bit, as well as address a few things. Please note this is in no way a critique, merely a part of learning about how to RP with others. Unlikely, I'm going to ask you to edit your last post, for a few reasons:

*I had mentioned to VLLL it is generally not a good idea to assume control of anothers character without permission, or until you know that RPer well. When you scooped up Nica and took off with her, you assumed control of her. You took a direct action on her without giving her a chance to react to it. I ran with it, because it fit the scene, and the character of Nica. In the future, people will not always run with this sort of thing. The correct phrase would be; 'Lodine reached down to scoop Nica up.' I can then either have Nica scamper away from you, or allow herself tobe scooped up. Control of my character still lies with me.

*You missed the part where VLLL jumped ahead of you, waiting for you. This probably should have warranted some sort of interaction between the two of you. Instead, there was no mention of this in your post.

*Your last post advanced things very far, and very quickly. You've left Ul'dah and the Duskies behind, essentially writing them out of the scene when it was just getting going. Realistically, at this point, Nica has lost. I would rather her not get eaten by your group, but to have some last minute hero jump in seems a little contrived and forced. Again, it feels that control of my character has been taken away from me.

Please edit your post to stay within the city of Ul'dah, addressing VLLL's action, allowing the others a chance to stay in the scene, and allowing Nica a chance to react, since its her life on the line here =p thanks!!))

((Okay, I'm going to attempt to reel this scene in a little bit, as well as address a few things. Please note this is in no way a critique, merely a part of learning about how to RP with others. Unlikely, I'm going to ask you to edit your last post, for a few reasons:

*I had mentioned to VLLL it is generally not a good idea to assume control of anothers character without permission, or until you know that RPer well. When you scooped up Nica and took off with her, you assumed control of her. You took a direct action on her without giving her a chance to react to it. I ran with it, because it fit the scene, and the character of Nica. In the future, people will not always run with this sort of thing. The correct phrase would be; 'Lodine reached down to scoop Nica up.' I can then either have Nica scamper away from you, or allow herself tobe scooped up. Control of my character still lies with me.

*You missed the part where VLLL jumped ahead of you, waiting for you. This probably should have warranted some sort of interaction between the two of you. Instead, there was no mention of this in your post.

*Your last post advanced things very far, and very quickly. You've left Ul'dah and the Duskies behind, essentially writing them out of the scene when it was just getting going. Realistically, at this point, Nica has lost. I would rather her not get eaten by your group, but to have some last minute hero jump in seems a little contrived and forced. Again, it feels that control of my character has been taken away from me.

Please edit your post to stay within the city of Ul'dah, addressing VLLL's action, allowing the others a chance to stay in the scene, and allowing Nica a chance to react, since its her life on the line here =p thanks!!))

((I'm sorry! I'm still sort of new to this so try to put up with me :blush: yeah, sorry about screwing it up I'll try to fix it right now))

((* btw I won't be around an internet connection for a couple days so if you guys would like to take control of my guy, please feel free! I wouldn't want this to come crashing to a halt because of me!))

((disregard my last post! haha I hope I do it right this time though!))

Lodine glanced back to check on his pursuers, and he saw the male duskwright run off! 

*What is that guy doing? He... he's up to something! I know it!" He quickens his pace and reaches the steps of Nald. He starts to slow down, the weight of the miqo'te wasn't too bad, but carrying her like this was starting to wear him down.

"Crap! Where do I go now?"

He thinks for a moment, coming almost to a halt. Then it hits him!

"The weavers guild!"

((Sorry if I messed up again! But I do appreciate you guys giving me the advice! Hopefully I'll get better though :frustrated:

((Its quite alright! We all started out at the beginning, and even those of us who have been doing it for awhile learn new things all the time! I also will be gone all day Saturday, so will likely pick it up on Sunday and hopefully you'll be back then :3

One should never worry about making 'mistakes'. Its the best way to learn! We're all here to support each other! And also... please don't eat me... :c))

(I just started myself, so don't worry. I don't mind the pause for a couple of days, it seems better if we can all add little by little. Also, don't refer to me as VLLL, it's just a way of typing Eight. VIII or Eight are okay, I just have to type it that way so that it looks like VIII in game ^^; )

He had guessed right, the Weaver's Guild was his destination.

"Information is victory."

However, Vlll still had to stop the chase without harming either the man or the Miqo'te. This was complicated since offensive magic was prohibited in all city-states. Figuring he'd figure out on the way, Vlll started runing towards the Hyur, ready to stop him in his tracks or tackle him out.

Master was acting very strange. As they passed a hanging tapestry on the way to the weaver's guild, Nica saw a loose thread hanging, and grabbed on to it, out of curiosity. The thread began to unravel, the further they got away from it, pulling the tapestry apart one stitch at a time.

She had never had this much string in her hand before! Her tail twitched once, as she gathered up more and more of it, until suddenly the whole metal rack toppled over; so ensnared had the tapestry gotten on the frame. As Nica held the rope of threads in her hands, the rack began to screech and drag across the stones of the street, adding even more weight to the fleeing Hyur...