Well met!

Syjak

Greetings, everyone!

Thank you for having me here. Been a silent lurker for the past few days and I thought its about time I leave my lurking days behind and make myself known. :D

I guess I'll start off with the template then.. 

MMORPG background

My very first MMORPG was a 2D grind-fest called Ragnarok Online. More than a decade and dozens of MMORPGs later, I find myself feeling sick of all the F2P, half-done, kiddie-infested MMORPGS out there and decided to try P2P. After having played (and retired from) WoW Retail, FFXIV 1.0, SWTOR and now starting ARR, I never looked back.  

RP experience

Can't really recall when I exactly "started" RPing, but it was not that long ago. I've only ever RPed in sci-fi games, making this my first non-sci-fi RP environment. I've always been in awe reading some of the things people wrote for their character or when they RP, and I'd love to learn to do the same. The immersion of it all, the connection developed between characters and other RPers -- I want that. :D

Character ideas/info

My character, Syjak, is a Male Highlander who survived the Battle of Carteneau. In the battle, he deserted his unit after failing to prevent the fall of someone he looked up to the most in his life, who was also his commander, mentor and close friend. He would later learn that most in his unit was wiped out. This event left a massive feeling of guilt in him and he struggled to make peace with his mind throughout the entire story.

Syjak is a veteran soldier who is seemingly tired of life in Eorzea with her perilous and endless conflicts. I plan to have my background story within the five years between Carteneau and the start of ARR. There are still so many holes and gaps in my story, and I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from the many RP Gurus on here.    

Oh, and I'll be rolling in Tonberry, JP region, since I reside in Asia. Hoping that wouldnt be a problem.

How did you learn about the coalition?

I was looking to learn about the lore and what I had missed since I quit 1.0 in its early days and stumbled upon this awesome thread by Merri. 

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

This is somewhat tough to address at the moment. I love the game, and I'm quite excited to learn more about RP as well. Based on previous experience, I'd say I'm a light to medium RPer. And that is in no way saying that I consider myself a "good" Roleplayer. Simply put, I'm here to learn. 

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

Not a very big fan of this game called "RL", so I think I'll skip this part for now. :)

Yeesh. I promised myself I wouldn't jabber on, but here I go with a wall of text as my first post. 

Anyway, thanks for checking this thread. So I guess the next step is to start bugging one of the mentors available and ask stuff. Or is there any other requirement to fulfill?

Welcome to the site. :) Hope you enjoy your time here. I played a lot of Ragnarok Online myself and more recently have played SWTOR since its launch. Hope you enjoy yourself while you're here.

As for requirements? I haven't really seen any real 'requirements' persay, but there are some really good guides through the site that should help you get on your feet. Reading over the forums actively also helps a lot, as any community. :)

Welcome to the site. :) Hope you enjoy your time here. I played a lot of Ragnarok Online myself and more recently have played SWTOR since its launch. Hope you enjoy yourself while you're here.

As for requirements? I haven't really seen any real 'requirements' persay, but there are some really good guides through the site that should help you get on your feet. Reading over the forums actively also helps a lot, as any community. :)

Ah, another Rune-Midgard graduate I see. Nice to meet you, Foxberry. 

And yes, I've been fanning the forums and are finding the amount of useful info available to be quite overwhelming actually. Might need some time to take it all in, but they'll go in somehow. 

Thanks again. :)

Welcome! Good to see you've stepped out of the shadows. ;)

And hooray! More Highlanders! He sounds really awesome. Hope you enjoy your time here!

Thank you, Annaveil. Good to be out of the shadows. 

Took the liberty of reading about Eve. Very interesting! You dont see a lot of healers hailing from the Highlands these days. 

Too bad we're on different servers. It would have be fun to go cliff climbing sometime. :D

How do you find it playing on a JP server, Syjak? I had quite a number of opportunities to party with Japanese players in FFXI. I wonder if they have a role play community as well :? ?

Anyways, thanks for the introduction. Won't see you in game, but I'll look forward to your contributions here :thumbsup:

How do you find it playing on a JP server, Syjak?  I had quite a number of opportunities to party with Japanese players in FFXI.  I wonder if they have a role play community as well :? ?

Anyways, thanks for the introduction.  Won't see you in game, but I'll look forward to your contributions here :thumbsup:

Hi, Teardrop. Yeah, we English-speaking people tend to stick together, and a majority of us is gathered at Tonberry. Or at least that's what we're hoping. The amount of English-speaking players are surprisingly quite a lot, although we're still a minority. Oceania players are mostly concentrated on Tonberry too.

As for the RP community, I havent found any so far. :(

Cool. Looking forward to learn a lot from the people here. :)

Hi, Syjak! Good to see another Asian RPers! :D

If I'm allowed to ask (and you don't mind to answer either), are you from SE Asia?

Because I too consult the (big) community in my place here (where they almost anonymously voted for Tonberry and seems to consider those choosing other server as some kind of freak) before I stumbled upon RPC.

Believe it or not, only one or two person in the said community actually knows what RP is, and I'm not saying their reaction is friendly either when they finally read about it because they think I'm about to be a player with "Higher-than-thou" attitude...

I'll be honest to you. That makes me a little worried about what kind of atmosphere is waiting for the RPers in Tonberry.

But if it's all good for you, I truly wish you a lot of fun playing the game and have a lot of interesting RP sessions!

Pleased to meet you!

Since I am from the UK I would've prefered to roll on an EU server, but honestly the RP community is so small (in comparison with the rest of the playerbase) that there isn't much point.

However, I am really interested to find out how you play on a JP server as in FFXI they were notoriously biased towards the Japanese-speaking players if there was a dispute.

I hope that there is at least a small RP community on Tonberry for you to interact with - and if there isn't, and you find you want to do more RP you can always move your character, right?

Take care!

Ah, another Rune-Midgard graduate I see. Nice to meet you, Foxberry. 

And yes, I've been fanning the forums and are finding the amount of useful info available to be quite overwhelming actually. Might need some time to take it all in, but they'll go in somehow. 

Thanks again. :)

Very much so. :) While it was grindy to say the very least I enjoyed it the time that I did play. Never rped in it, I know there were people who did, but I only recently started rping in MMOs (textbase on the other hand... I feel old should I mention it hehe). 

It takes time, but I'm sure you'll do just fine. You're most welcome. ^^

If I'm allowed to ask (and you don't mind to answer either), are you from SE Asia?

Because I too consult the (big) community in my place here (where they almost anonymously voted for Tonberry and seems to consider those choosing other server as some kind of freak) before I stumbled upon RPC.

Believe it or not, only one or two person in the said community actually knows what RP is, and I'm not saying their reaction is friendly either when they finally read about it because they think I'm about to be a player with "Higher-than-thou" attitude...

I'll be honest to you. That makes me a little worried about what kind of atmosphere is waiting for the RPers in Tonberry.

But if it's all good for you, I truly wish you a lot of fun playing the game and have a lot of interesting RP sessions!

Hey there, Falkner. So its really that obvious, huh? Yes, I am from SE Asia. :D

I see. That's good news indeed. It would be awesome if we can make Tonberry the unofficial English-speaking server in JP region! 

I mean, its great that the country is giving us such a wonderful game, but I'm surprised they didn't stop to realize that there are a great number of players outside Japan within Asia that would love an English-speaking server with decent latency. 

But hey, I'm not complaining. Maybe things will change in the future. Who knows, right? And yea, the FC I joined doesn't even have an RP section. Looks like its going to be a challenge to RP in-game. 

So are you going to be online on the 16th? It would be great if we can link up. 

If its not too much trouble. :)

Pleased to meet you!

Since I am from the UK I would've prefered to roll on an EU server, but honestly the RP community is so small (in comparison with the rest of the playerbase) that there isn't much point.

However, I am really interested to find out how you play on a JP server as in FFXI they were notoriously biased towards the Japanese-speaking players if there was a dispute.

I hope that there is at least a small RP community on Tonberry for you to interact with - and if there isn't, and you find you want to do more RP you can always move your character, right?

Take care!

The pleasure is all mine, Xaaniko!

If its that difficult to find a proper RP community in EU, I shudder to think how its going to be like in JP. :(

I, too, have heard of such discrimination in FFXI, although I never played the game myself. Lets hope its better this time around. 

Thank you. I do hope so too. Bad latency breaks immersion for me and I don't fancy playing with 300+ ms latency too much but  I suppose its an option to pay a bit of money and transfer my character if its really that bad. 

Cheers!

Hey there, Falkner. So its really that obvious, huh? Yes, I am from SE Asia. :D

I see. That's good news indeed. It would be awesome if we can make Tonberry the unofficial English-speaking server in JP region! 

I mean, its great that the country is giving us such a wonderful game, but I'm surprised they didn't stop to realize that there are a great number of players outside Japan within Asia that would love an English-speaking server with decent latency. 

But hey, I'm not complaining. Maybe things will change in the future. Who knows, right? And yea, the FC I joined doesn't even have an RP section. Looks like its going to be a challenge to RP in-game. 

Pleased to meet you!

Take care!

If its that difficult to find a proper RP community in EU, I shudder to think how its going to be like in JP. :(

I, too, have heard of such discrimination in FFXI, although I never played the game myself. Lets hope its better this time around. 

Thank you. I do hope so too. Bad latency breaks immersion for me and I don't fancy playing with 300+ ms latency too much but  I suppose its an option to pay a bit of money and transfer my character if its really that bad. 

Cheers!

Why not gather everyone together who is playing on Tonberry and gage the rp interest and get something started? I'm sure the more that express interest the easier it will be to get what you'd like to see. Maybe you can even get someone to do a small rp event there so that everyone can get a taste of it? It could be something as simple as an icebreaker introduction party game but done in character.

Cheers!

Bad latency is also a big issue for me, since I live in the middle of nowhere and my internet provider isn't... let's say it's not the best. I really hope it doesn't make it unplayable as I really don't want to be the only RPer on an EU server. Sigh. We can only wait and see though, right? Good luck, anyway and keep in touch with any new developments when you start playing. : >

I am very sorry, Syjak, I don't think I have the heart to play in Tonberry for some personal reasons.

I've decided on Balmung by the way.

Oh, if it might be of a reference for you;

I've played LotRO with 280 - 300+ latency for a while back then and I didn't find it game breaking at all even in large raid. You have to adapt a bit for your latency, yes, but I personally never find the 1/3 of a second slower reaction time makes the game unplayable.

For the record, my main is a Minstrel, a healer, a direct-heal healer so no HoT to cut some slack for latency and it's fine for me.

So once again good luck to you! Happy gaming and RPing!

Oh and this below of course, a good advice from a good man, please consider it:

Why not gather everyone together who is playing on Tonberry and gage the rp interest and get something started? I'm sure the more that express interest the easier it will be to get what you'd like to see. Maybe you can even get someone to do a small rp event there so that everyone can get a taste of it? It could be something as simple as an icebreaker introduction party game but done in character.

:thumbsup:

That's a good idea, and its kind of what I'm trying to do at the moment. I'm going to request for a separate RP section to be made in our FC's Forum once I'm settled in to the FC. 

I guess we'll see how they respond to it soon. 

Thanks!

Bad latency is also a big issue for me, since I live in the middle of nowhere and my internet provider isn't... let's say it's not the best. I really hope it doesn't make it unplayable as I really don't want to be the only RPer on an EU server. Sigh. We can only wait and see though, right? Good luck, anyway and keep in touch with any new developments when you start playing. : >

Yeah, lets just wait and see what happens. Really can't wait for next week, the 16th. :P

I am very sorry, Syjak, I don't think I have the heart to play in Tonberry for some personal reasons.

I've decided on Balmung by the way.

Oh, if it might be of a reference for you;

I've played LotRO with 280 - 300+ latency for a while back then and I didn't find it game breaking at all even in large raid. You have to adapt a bit for your latency, yes, but I personally never find the 1/3 of a second slower reaction time makes the game unplayable.

For the record, my main is a Minstrel, a healer, a direct-heal healer so no HoT to cut some slack for latency and it's fine for me.

So once again good luck to you! Happy gaming and RPing!

Oh and this below of course, a good advice from a good man, please consider it:

:thumbsup:

Oh, that's too bad, but understandable. I was hoping I'd meet someone who'll be playing on Tonberry here too. :(

Oh its still playable alright, its just that that kind of latency usually bring lag spikes as well (for me anyway). And it just totally breaks immersion for me when my character suddenly decided to run on an invisible treadmill or mini-teleported several feet ahead or experience any such latency-related glitches.

And maybe this is just a state-of-mind thing, but I find my performance in PvP to be drastically poorer in higher latency settings.

Then again, I might just create a toon on Balmung or Gilgamesh just to RP with you guys occasionally. :D

Sorry I'm a bit late for the welcome ^^ but here you go

[align=center]o7kRLrAQ1uI [/align]

Hiya, Nell! Thank you very much for the video. Very informative indeed. Its never too late to make one feel welcomed. :D

I think some of the links aren't working though. Or maybe it was a glitch on my side.

That's the thing. I tried to send the PM but can't because the recipient's private message quota is reached or something. :(

But hey, that's mighty kind of you, Nel. Maybe I'll bother you with some questions too some time. :D

Thanks in advanced!