[Wiki Help] Spoiler tags, etc. for images and long text?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum:

My wiki is still relatively plain as I haven't asked around for themes or templates yet, but regardless, one thing I'd like to do is make certain sections of my wiki page collapsible so that it's easier to read and people don't have to scroll down too much. I'm having difficulty doing this, because wiki code seems to have no direct equivalent to the spoiler tag. (I know collapse exists, but I'm not sure how to use it with very long blocks of information.) As it stands, I'm lousy at code: it took me quite a while to learn how to use the spoiler tag, as is.

I'd like to include various supplements to the personality section that may have gotten "lost" in long threads, such as the "100 Questions" personality interview and the results of some tests for alignment and finer personality analysis. Since some of these things are quite long, I'm concerned about them stretching the page too much.

I do notice that some of the other wiki pages I'm looking at are quite long, with plenty of images; no one seems to raise an eyebrow. If I do add stories or journals in the future, things could get cluttered. Should I stop worrying about this, and just add what I like, or do you think it would be a good idea to implement collapsible sections?

I wouldn't worry too much about page length, to be honest. :)

One approach you can try is something similar to that of Wikipedia. If you look at long articles for, say, cities there, they often have a synopsis preceded by a "For additional information, see ". You can create those other pages as subpages of your own page; for instance, if you wanted to push your 100 Questions off to a subpage, you might create that page as Kevaraan Annorek/100 Questions, then put a link to it using code like...

[[Kevaraan Annorek/100 Questions|100 Questions about Kevaraan]]

If you wanted do to that a History section, you might create Kevaraan Annorek/History, then do the following:

''For more information on Kevaraan's history, see [[Kevaraan Annorek/100 Questions|History].''

This is a short paragraph synopsis of your history.

For what it's worth, what I did with my 100 Questions was just add a link to the post at the end of my page in a "References" section.

That's good; I did not know that individual members were allowed to have more than one page for each of their characters. Should I just create it like a normal page, with my character's name attached to it (i.e., the actual title would be Kevaraan Annorek/History or Kevaraan Annorek/Personality Analysis)?

If anything, I'd put diagrams/analysis and works written by me on their own pages, and everything else, including any art, on the main page.

I might link the relevant posts as you do though--I just remembered I can find my original posts, although the formatting is botched on a few of them.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, you'll create it like a normal page, using that slash format, because that creates a subpage of your main page. That has a number of effects, not the least of which is that it puts a link at the top of the subpage back to its main page. We used these a lot on the Virtueverse wiki for just the situation you describe.

However, don't put any categories on your subpages; just put your text in there. That way, the page doesn't end up showing up in places where it probably shouldn't.

I don't think Deirdre wants us making subpages/floating pages that are not in a category actually, because I remember this came up when people wanted to expand on their family/NPC characters and it was decided that it wasn't allowed. So try to utilize the spoiler tags available and keep it all on your character's page.

I don't think Deirdre wants us making subpages/floating pages that are not in a category actually, because I remember this came up when people wanted to expand on their family/NPC characters and it was decided that it wasn't allowed. So try to utilize the spoiler tags available and keep it all on your character's page.

That's... kind of silly. >_> Especially considering I don't think this Deirdre person is a mod...

It falls under the "stray pages" thing under "Don't." Unless subpages work differently? I don't think I've seen them yet, so you may have to ask her personally.

Deirdre isn't a mod here but she revamped the wiki awhile back and keeps it clean and organized now for us.

It falls under the "stray pages" thing under "Don't." Unless subpages work differently?

I'm not sure how subpages would be "stray pages", especially if they're fully fleshed out. I had really wanted to build and link together pages for family members, but...

I guess I feel kinda weird seeing someone say "You can't" when they don't have mod privileges.

I think something qualifies as a stray page if it is not linked in a category. Like all our character pages are listed in the Player Characters category. The Soliloquy Menu is in the Literature category. That sort of thing. We had this issue come up when some people wanted to create a wiki page for NPCs that they had but couldn't because there was no defined category for them to be in, despite them being linked on the character's page.

She has Kylin's support in her wiki duties. Again, just send her a PM for clarification. I could be totally wrong since I'm unfamiliar with what a subpage would be considered.

I think something qualifies as a stray page if it is not linked in a category.

Complete wiki noob. What is a category in wiki terms?

Could I just make individual character pages for all my family folk and... uhm. I don't know how I would link them all together. >_<

I think something qualifies as a stray page if it is not linked in a category.

Complete wiki noob. What is a category in wiki terms?

Could I just make individual character pages for all my family folk and... uhm. I don't know how I would link them all together. >_<

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Player_Character

That's a category. :)

That's alright. I didn't expect this thread to be so.... popular, even if a bit.

I appreciate the help, but in the interest of playing it safe, I'm probably going to dump everything on a single page for now. I can always edit it later, and such layout revisions would have to take place if I ever get around to asking someone if I can borrow their theme/formatting.

Thanks again for the replies, everyone!