List of Retainer Names (roleplay-friendly examples)

Faust

So as requested, I began the task of writing down NPC names to give some specific examples of roleplay-friendly names. After not very long, it became apparent that sorting these names by clan was going to be difficult (in the case of Lalafell, sometimes even by gender). It's sometimes difficult to tell what clan an NPC is from because some skintones do overlap, and particularly depending on the lighting it is difficult to tell based on that. Then, many NPCs will have head gear that conceals aspects of their face that would be telling.

Though I gave it my best shot, I'm not confident the list I was working on was accurate. But it did occur to me that retainer names would be easy to work with... all in one place, and no guesswork. Took a little time, but at least these names are guaranteed accurate. It's also clear, particularly with the Lalafell and Miqote, that clans DO affect names. However, it's also very possible that regular NPCs won't strictly adhere to these conventions and they don't need to be treated as law (e.g., I think someone saw a Roegadyn named Roosting Crow).

Male

Midlander Hyur- Bernard, Sevrin, Wauter, Raffe, Geoffrey,

Highlander Hyur- Drogo, Engerrand, Wercrata, Raganfrid, Heidolf

Wildwood Elezen- Roiteloin, Quentenain, Estrelaint, Voilinaut, Sylvaintel

Duskwight Elezen- Ludovoix, Idristan, Astidien, Thievenaix, Corentiaux

Plainsfolk Lalafell- Fewon Bulion, Alza Gamilza, Mozon Dalazon, Kazai Buoyzai, Telbi Kesulbi

Dunesfolk Lalafell- Zazatyro, Chachamun, Nonomeda, Pipikkuli, Gegeruju

Seawolves Roegadyn- Khanmhar, Pfrewahl, Eyrimhus, Swygskyf, Wyrkholsk

Hellsguard Roegadyn- Bhirdraeg, Lydirfyst, Ourawann, Fraeloef, Zwynberk

Female

Midlander Hyur- Fionnuala, Placencia, Jessamine, Thomasyn, Margry,

Wildwood Elezen- Heustienne, Dennia, Raimille, Valerine, Gaidelie

Duskwight Elezen- Osaulie, Blaisie, Adaillie, Soubinie, Imailie

Plainsfolk Lalafell- Ayoyo, Ratata, Sanana, Ushushu, Yuwawa

Dunesfolk Lalafell- Popobi, Zozoi, Niniya, Bibigo, Jojolu

Sunseeker Miqote- R'bhusha, S'dhodjbi, J'ludaba, M'naago, K'wabati

Moonkeeper Miqote- Rhaq Nelhah, Miah Molkot, Wyra Lyehga, Yabi Kaatapoh, Fihpo Jakkya

Please feel free to add to this list with other NPC names.

Nice work Faust! The division of clan name preferences is interesting (though frustrating for purists when it comes to the apostrophe in the Seeker names >_<), I'll have to split up the name generator further when I've got more time. Here's a bunch more names from NPCs, as promised:

Miqo'te

Thata Khamazom

M'zimzizi

Qhas Chalahko

Z'onggo

F'abodji

H'rhanbolo

Daca Jinjahl

N'nmulika

S'raemha

G'nanghal

W'ahtoa

Wyra Khamazom (Thata's sister??)

Ighii Moui

F'zhumii

Roegadyn

Sundhimal

Holasfhis

Sathzant

Smydhaemr

Syngsmyd

Skarnwaen

Bloemerl

Maetistym

Waekbyrt

Dhemsunn

Hasthwab

Aergwynt

Elezen Males

Eugennoix

Ferdillaix

Carrilaut

Martiallais

Joellaut

Notrelchamps

Robairlain

Faucillien

Xavalien

Mharelak

Liautroix

Elezen Females

Trinne

Louviaune

Astrid

Jainelette

Triaine

Audaine

Lalafell Females

Fufuna

Hihine

Sosoze

Shoshoma

Rerenasu

Nunuba

Lalafell Males

Bango Zango

Tatasako*

Nanapiri*

Lafla Morfla

*These names follow the female Lalafell naming conventions, but after looking at their little Lalafell faces I came to the conclusion that these were definitely dudes. Also, I unfortunately could not find many Lalafell men in the areas of the city I visited.

Hyur Females

Dympna

Lefleda

Iofa

Maisie

Ositha

Gallia

Kylene

Isleen

Frances

Cassandra

Moruith

Hyur Males

Gautzelin

Colson

Kerrich

Leveridge

Clifton

Coynach

Hetzkin

Clarembald

Shilgen

Neale

Bayard

Damn, I guess my name doesn't really fit a Seeker-Miqo'te... I'll have to think about that.

And just since I don't think I got any answer in the other thread: Is it possible to make a name with an apostrophe?

Edit: Actually, I sort of doubt you'll see many Seekers keep those conventions. While I actually find them really interesting sounding names, they're not that typical fantasy names. But I might see if I can't tweak Seraj into something that fits. I can always use Seraj as a nickname.

Seriously though, thank you guys. Now to try and come up with my companion's name. The only one of my standard names that might work for a seeker of the sun is Kimiji, but even that doesn't really fit.

I don't see why names would have to remain static in a certain format to appease canon? The naming process is something that evolves and changes over time in many societies (maybe not all, but thats besides the point). Who cares if your name doesn't look like the same format of many of the names of your NPC brethren? Just chalk it up to your parents being 'progressive',

In an age of adventuring, I'd imagine that much of the land of Eorzea would be impacted by all the different societies, making the land a sort of 'melting pot' when it comes diversity.

I don't see why names would have to remain static in a certain format to appease canon?

They don't really need to. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who had a plausible-sounding, but non-canon, name for their character. So long as we don't have anyone named after obviously out of universe things, I don't care too much. :D But a lot of folks do, and I like to at least be close to canon for myself.

Looking at these Roegadyn names:

Smydhaemr

Syngsmyd

Waekbyrt

Aergwynt

There is only one conclusion that can be made. I'm sorry, Roegadyn players.

You're WELSH.

But the Torchwood in Wales had the best accents! Awww, all those Roegadyn are going to sound like Ianto Jones in my head now.

The discussion of Sunseeker names reminds me of something I forgot to mention. Consider the case of Plainsfolk males and Moonkeepers-- they already have two names. So obviously the simplest option is to make those your first and last names and be done with it. There's also the option of smashing those two names together and treating them as a first name, first and middle name, or however you want to explain it, just like some people I know have a double first name.

In the purest sense, it's hard to believe that those cases actually consist of a first and last name, while in almost all other cases NPCs only display first names. And most of us who picked other races still have no convention for choosing last names.

So, I realize that only raises more problems and offers no solutions. In attempt to remedy that, here are my thoughts on Sunseekers with some specific examples:

R'bhusha

The way I see it, there are two plausible options. One is to simply cut out the apostrophe (Rhbusha), and the other is to replace it with its phonetic representation. Meaning... how does one pronounce "R'bhusha" anyway? At least in our language, you can't just go from R to B without a vowel sound (though SE certainly seems to enjoy letting us try). For my example I'll wager a guess that it's Riboosha. So in this case, we simply replace the apostrophe with the sound it's supposed to make... Ribhusha.

I think lore-wise, this can be justified as simply a different representation of the same word, similarly to how the Japanese phoneticize other languages into romanji. There's also the practical benefit of not frustrating other people with having to struggle quite so hard with your name, and you don't end up with an odd looking consonant crunch.

So S'dhodjbi becomes Sidhodjbi?

But then there are these, which don't badly need an apostrophe to begin with:

J'ludaba, M'naago, K'wabati

I wouldn't find Jludaba, Mnaago, and Kwabati confusing in the least, though they could also potentially make use of a vowel between the first and second letters.

So my recommendation for those who really want to be consistent with the lore is to simply weigh it out and decide which approach you prefer best-- I really don't think anyone will be offput by it. And of course, at least in my opinion, there's no need to treat the lore as absolute law when it comes to this issue. I picked my name without regard for the lore, and just happen to think it fits well enough.

• 1 month later...

I can't help but think Miqo'te names, Seekers in particular, look like someone just sorta... cleared their throat, and typed out that sound, to call it a name. Not far off from what Roegadyn names are looking like, with someone already saying it looks like faces were smashed on keyboards to make them. I'm not hating on it or anything but uh... Anybody else get that vibe? ^^; Makes it tough to actually want to "properly" name a Seeker. (So I didn't >.>)

To the Roegadyn:

I don't know much about Welsh, but I some of the NPC names remind me a lot of messed up versions of words from my native tongue: German.

Mostly the one standing in the Gladiator's Guild at the entrance to where you have to fight in the arena in Ul'dah during "Some Like It Hot." He is called "Swerdahrm" which reminds me a lot of the word "Schwertarm" and would mean "Swordarm" in English.

There were a few other cases, but they are slipping my memory now ^^