A question about lifespans!

Naleia

Hi everyone! Hope you all enjoyed the open beta..I sure did! Hehe, but anyways I was wondering if anyone had a clue about the general lifespans of the races of Eorzea? Specifically, the Miqo'te? I'd figure the hyur might have a lifespan similar to us but I'm not sure if the Miqo'te have an accelerated lifespan (as in age more quickly) or not..The reason I ask is because I am developing a backstory for my character, and want to be somewhat accurate with the timeline :) Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Miqo'te are more human like than cat like by a wide margin, so there's no reason to assume that they would have an accelerated lifespan compared to Humans or Hyur. 

There's nothing about any of the races longevity aside from the bits we've picked up about how Lalafell can apparently live over one hundred years and still remain active and healthy.

If we want to whip out the biology and attempt to apply it to our magical universe again, I would have to think that a Miqo'te, being a "smaller" but not "stereotypically magical" race (see: Lalafell), would have a slightly shorter lifespan than the average Hyur. Probably not more than 5-10 years shorter, though, tbh. This is 100% presumptive. We have no information in the lore on Miqo'te lifespans.

Those are good reasons that a species may not live as long as another species, that's why I wrote there's no reason to assume instead of writing that it definitely wasn't the case that they had accelerated lifespans, because I don't know.

SE didn't make it a point to comment on longevity, so any speculation there would be purely for amusement. However, they did make it a point to talk about breeding males, matriarchy, and the infrequency of male birth. Thus, applying "biology crap" to make educated, reasoned theories about cultural norms derived from the information they gave us is a reasonable, useful thing to speculate on.

All I know is what is listed on the FFXIV website states that Elezens have slightly longer lifespans than Hyurs. As far as Miqo'te or any other race for that matter there has been no data, as far as I know, that gives an average life span. 

I have to agree with Aysun. It would be weird if Lalla's had large lifespans as they are described as being very agile which would require a faster metabolism. Usually the faster your metabolism, the shorter your lifespan. But that is kind of like trying to explain magic in a video game or how something as large as King Behemoth can find enough food to sustain its massive body.

I remember this question was asked once before, and there was a lore tidbit where it was stated that lalafellin do have long lifespan. Something about an NPC being around 130 years old and still being pretty jovial. Not to mention they stop aging after the age of 20.

I should probably dig around to see if I can find it.

I remember this question was asked once before, and there was a lore tidbit where it was stated that lalafellin do have long lifespan. Something about an NPC being around 130 years old and still being pretty jovial. Not to mention they stop aging after the age of 20.

I should probably dig around to see if I can find it.

That'd be me. Basically, there was a character in-game that had been imprisoned a century prior to the events of a certain quest. He was very much an adult when he was imprisoned, so I went with him probably being around 30 years old minimum at that time. So at the very least he had to be around 130 years old.

There's also plenty of mention of Lalafell being quite old. There used to be one in the Miner's guild who went on about being in her line of work for some 80 years I think. I don't remember specifically, just that she was there, and old.

But yeah, they don't age physically after maturity, that's confirmed.

Not sure about the player races myself but the main story quest that has you do the Copperbell mines states that a group of gigas were trapped and buried in the lowest levels for 300 years. It's possible that some baby gigas were made but the way the text is given it makes it sound like the ones you go in and clear out are the same beastmen that were trapped down there but long lived giants are usually pretty common in fantasy settings.