FFXIV Macintosh Client is NOW Available!

Mongoose

Hats off to the Lodestone Radio staff!

The Mac Client is now available!

Requirements are:

System 10.6 or above.

Nvidia or AMD/ATI GPU.

Minimum resolution 1024x720

Download Final Fantasy XIV.dmg from the Lodestone Radio website

Your download volume needs at least 10.6 gigs free.

Your IBM-PC disk registration info needs to have already been entered on the Square Enix website in your account. PS-3 registration won't work for this.

The password for the .DMG file (obtain from the Lodestone website)

The patch file

Read the Patch file's Readme file, and follow instructions precisely.

You have to copy the application straight from the mounted DMG file into the applications folder.

You do NOT need any Microsoft products

You do NOT need VM Ware, Parallels, Crossover, or a "bootcamp" volume.

Mac users, here it is!!!

Lodestone Radio

Hi Salty Lake and Penniless,

Thanks for replying,.

The patch instructions that you download with the Mac Client contain instructions on how to apply the patch by copy/paste the contents into the FFXIV file residing in the applications folder and by using Apple's "Keep Newer," option.

"Keep Newer" is inadequate. Instead, the instructions posted by Waffles Rule at this link should be used.

http://www.lodestoneradio.com/forum/m/7398450/viewthread/8795455-september-16th-client-feedback/page/9

I tried both, the "Keep Newer," fails, but the recommendation from Waffles Rule works fine.

Probability is reasonable that a newer Mac Client release may not require patching after installing. The developers are exceptionally attentive and responsive.

Hi Salty Lake,

Awesome! I wish this had been out during 1.0; I had to reformat my hard drive to set up parallels and then couldn't even get the game to open on my MacBook Pro. Ah well--I got a PC!

Uh, you have my condolences on getting a PC. :angel:

I think the MacBooks may not be graphically capable of meeting the demands of the application. I'm running a Mac Pro with 16 gigs core ram, SSD boot drive, and a 400-Watt NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 Graphics Card. Even though the graphics card has 2 fans, I added an external fan to the back of my mac to increase the air flow. When the graphics card goes to full power, the Mac becomes a room heater. So, the Mac Client works quite awesome, either full screen or in a window.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have been very curious about this game ever since I saw a trailer. It reminds me so much of FF XII which I loved. I am thrilled to know I may be able to play this on my Mac (though I am not a fan of gaming on the computer) but wanted to ask a question. I am not an equipment geek and wondered if my video card is adequate. It played LOTRO fine and I had no problems last weekend in the ESO beta but still, I ask. I have an iMac running Lion with an ATI Radeon HD 5670. 

Another question regarding the instructions. What kind of registration do I need? I have an account at Square Enix but none at Sony since my only Playstation is a PS 2.

Thank you.

A 5670 is in the same category as the GeForce 8/9800 GT, which is the minimum requirement for the game. So, you should be able to run it, though you might have to run it at a low resolution and with a lot of the graphics settings turned down.

In terms of accounts, XIV has a "related to but not exactly the same as the other Square Enix account system" account management system called the Mog Station. When you buy the game, the installer will walk you through setting up a service account for XIV. You don't need to do anything with Sony if you're not playing on the PlayStation, and even PlayStation owners ultimately log in through the SE account system.

Thank you for your reply. I now have another question. How do I go about buying a copy of the game. I only see PC or PS3 available. I have never bought an MMO. The only experience I have is with LOTRO which is FtP and had a Mac client when i downloaded and the ESO beta one weekend. :?

• 1 month later...