Books!

Goodfellow

A lot happened to this thread since the OP, which was the last I read of it. I poped in and got pretty hung up over the line: I'm not expecting anything on the level of The Elder Scrolls here

Not to nitpick in turn, but I think the "Not of Elderscrolls" isn't so much a refrain from breadth, but of content. Nearly every book in the Elder scrolls (I'm counting Dagger fall and up) contains between 20-30 lines of text, some more, some less.

Of course i'm not OP so I can't speak as to exactly what he was meaning, but that is my understanding. providing a synopsis, titles and short excerpts was the goal.

I do how ever like some of the names you put forward. I've been toying with "Eorzeaning" some of my own text books left over from Uni, and maybe some of the ones I have through work.

Actually, "I'm not expecting anything on the level of The Elder Scrolls here" was in reference to the original question that I asked, not the awesome project that this thread has morphed into.  I very much so like the direction that it's moving and I hope we can all keep interacting and responding to one another, filling out corners of our own little world-within-the-world.

Actually, "I'm not expecting anything on the level of The Elder Scrolls here" was in reference to the original question that I asked, not the awesome project that this thread has morphed into.  I very much so like the direction that it's moving and I hope we can all keep interacting and responding to one another, filling out corners of our own little world-within-the-world.

Even better!

Back to the drawing board then :cactuar:

Oh no, I understand what the OP's intent and meaning was, I just chose to take that line out of context and highlight it because I've a long history with the series. I've always been very involved with TES community and was involved with several projects of a similar nature to this for both Morrowind and Oblivion. Skyrim and its community are garbage though. It's part nostalgic and part excitement on my end. I didn't mean to project that onto anyone else or try to derail anything. It was just some well intentioned suggestions I threw together, based on my own meandering thought process.

Whats wrong with the lusty amaalja maid? They had the Lusty Argonian in Skyrim which I absolutely loved (it was hilarious).

Also the Green Hills book I mentioned was just a background title I made up that I said Taijha had been reading.

Skyrim and its community are garbage though. It's part nostalgic and part excitement on my end.

No disagreement there, I had hoped, with Skyrims engine, and the capacity of the Steam workshop, to experience a level of modding sophistication otherwise unavailable in the past. There are some nice overhauls, http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281//?

Being a favorite of mine. But otherwise I was largely disappointed with the glut of texture mods.

But onto the books!

The Lusty Amalj'aa Maid

Somebody write this. Anybody. Please.

Looks like I have the first non-personal work to get started on.

• 2 months later...

I came across this old post and immediately remembered this thread.  It is relevant.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61229-Eorzean-Literature?p=980121&viewfull=1#post980121

Via Fernehalwas:

Just for your reference, here is a list of some of the publications that have appeared either in-game or on the official (1.0) website.

---

Original Publication: The Determination of Being

Author: Guillaurmand de Padellaint

Quote: Every soul must needs have a code, a purpose, to guide them. Else chaos would consume us all.

---

Original Publication: Leading the Van

Author: Owyne Cosserand, master tactician

Quote: The advancement of a nation may be guaged by its ability to craft weapons, but its future depends on its ability to craft wars.

---

Original Publication: Travel Logs of a Lalafell

Author: Jajariku Nanariku

Quote: Never did we expect to encounter such a diverse and so wealthy a people! And so very tall!

---

Original Publication: Treatise on the Principles of Self-Actualization

Author: Rhylsygg Bhirlonsyn

Quote: To discern the true nature of man, one need look no further than the palm of his hand.

---

Original Publication: Raimdelle Codex

Author: Frandelont Raimdelle

Quote: Know thy quarry, know thyself.

This compendium contains a priceless wealth of knowledge on the many plants and animals native to the Eorzean landmass, and although penned centuries ago, is still used across the realm by scholars and hunters alike.

---

Publication: Necrologos

Author: Unknown

A forbidden tome known to contain wards which bind arcane demons within its pages.

Chapters Discovered (as of 1.x):

Lords of Skyey Realms

Elemental Thralldom

Lightsome Verdure

The Abased

The Boughs Above

Inferno

The Light's Corrivals

Amongst Leaves Most Green

Levinshower

All Things Must Die

Ranine Reveries

Torn Asunder

Adamantine Wills

In Shadow Bemantled

Celeritous Impetus

Thousandfold Agony

The Fallen

Rockbound Mists

The Ever-reaching Claw

The Moons' Mistress

---

Publication: The Enchiridion

The holiest of Ishgardian scripture, this tome outlines the teachings of Halone.

---

Publication: The Five Ages─An Eorzean Chronology

Author: Lewphon of Sharlayan, master theologian and astrologist

Penned in the Year 233 of the Sixth Astral Era to weave together the disparate histories of the nations of Eorzea with a common thread─the thread of time.

---

Publication: Essences & Permutations─A Treatise of the Six Elements

Author: Unknown

Comprised of four chapters dealing with the elements and creation.

I read the title, said to myself, Nooo, are they really...? and then read the rest of the thread and did a little dance of joy.

I will begin to work on things both from Anais' point of view and C'rhisi's.

And I just have to add- I love you guys so much.  *tear*

Excellent and thanks!