Height conversions.

Lunaticked

I'd like to make, or see a list of XIV to RL conversions of our best guesses regarding height in-game, but of course I need a lot of people of a lot of races with different height settings...all within an area I can access.

I have a tallest human female in Gard.

I have a tallest Miqo'te in Limsa.

I forget how tall my male human is.

So, if we can all...gather somewhere, sometime and try to hash out conversions into feet/inches and centimeters/meters and post it up somewhere, think people would appreciate it.

Have the character stand in a doorway. The doorways, if it is a normal doorway, should be 8 feet. Otherwise have them stand next to a bar or shop counter. I can get the height of those. Measure from that.

I think figuring out heights is a great idea.

I vote similar to Tadir, but with one major exception. Base it off the average Hyur male. Give that a value of ~5'10" (6' even if you want to make it easier), and go from there. Doorways in games rarely conform to real life doorways - particularly when you have a "giant" race that you need to be able to fit through there.

That was my main concern about the doorways.

Bars, counters, stuff like that tend to be between 42 and 44 inches. That really doesn't change much in video games even with tall creatures. So we can go off a Hyur male at 5'10 (seems very short to me) or the bar at 44 inches. Or both at the SAME TIME!

I know. I just blew your minds. I'm sorry. I do that sometimes. I'm kinda smrt.

My characters are either very very small, or gigantic. Details? Oooh.. I'm bad at the numbers :3

Most of my chars, considering they are usually kids or teens, are between 51 and 62 inches. So, say the average of my characters is ehm .. Think that would be 4'5 or something?

Edit; Using Real-Life human height, not sure about in the game! Think about the same right?

Keir is already on top of it. Any extra data that you would like to contribute to heights' date=' please put them on this thread for the sake of having a 'one stop shop' for subjects related to this. Time and Measurements in Hydaelyn

Once we get this information made, it could fit in there, but it wouldn't be instantly recognizable for people looking for heights unless he edited his title some.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the tallest Miqo'te setting' date=' and she seem to be just a tad smaller than female Hyur... Though pretty much the same. Of course I'm not sure if that is a small, an average or a tall Hyur <.<[/quote']

Yeah, I use the tallest settings as well and I've seen female Hyur I'm actually the same height or slightly taller then. At around 5'6" or so for the tallest Miqo'te, that would make sense.

Thanks for that. I'm actually curious about heights myself. IIRC, SE stated somewhere in an interview that Medium height male Humes in XI were 5'10", so it seems a safe enough assumption to use here. As a 5'10" Midlander Hyur Male IRL, a bit of measuring tape lets me figure out all sorts of things. :mrgreen:

First off, the difference between heights for Midlander Hyur Male seems to be 3" per tier. Thus,

For Midlander Hyur M:

Tallest - 6'4"

Tall - 6'1"

Average - 5'10"

Short - 5'7"

Shortest - 5'4"

Hyur F average: 5'6"

Miqo'te average: 5'2"

Lalafell M average: 3'1"

Lalafell F average: 3'

It's a bit harder for me to wrangle out Elezen and Roegadyn heights since it's hard to take precise reference points that are above your own head... Also I didn't list comparative heights for the other races 'cause I'm not positive the 3" rule holds for them. I really doubt it does for Lalafell.

I dunno, the average human female height is between generally 160 and 170 cm (roughly 5'3" to 5'6"), so assuming the average for female Hyur to be 5'6" seems... a little tall to me. At least that's that's not what I think of when I think average. But to me, heights for this are relative. Few people in the real world look at someone and go "Oh wow you're 6'4!" It's usually "Oh hey you're tall." But it's a game, maybe they want their females taller than average.

Lining those images up it seems the shortest male Hyur is the same as the tallest female; the shortest male elezen is taller than the tallest male hyur; miqo'te are just shorter than hyur females (e.g. tallest miqo'te is about the same as the tall hyur). I did this quickly based off the images posted and my alignment is probably a little off and this isn't empirical by any means, just trying to create a reference.

Borrowed my wife's beta account and machine to make several sample height characters and take in-game screenshots (which I can post upon request) but I can confirm that Average Midlander Hyur Female is 5'6". Or, at least with repeated measurements, I averaged 5' 5 & 1/2", always erring towards 5'6". Short is 5'3", so for Midlander Hyur, the 3" rule seems to be in effect regardless of gender. Thus:

Midlander Hyur Female:

Tallest: 6'

Tall: 5'9"

Average: 5'6"

Short: 5'3"

Shortest: 5'

The danger in comparing between and not within images is that the point of reference and scale may have shifted; an image is only guaranteed accurately relative to itself.

5'2" confirmed for Average Miqo'te, independent of tribe. Height difference seems to be 2", so:

Miqo'te:

Tallest: 5'6"

Tall: 5'4"

Average: 5'2"

Short: 5'

Shortest: 4'10"

Confirmed by comparing Tallest Miqo'te to Average Hume F, heights match when hair volume is taken into account (as it was in all prior measurements), though not exactly - either there's an inch margin of error or Miqo'te proportions are simply a bit different. It's probably the aforementioned Hyur F half-inch throwing things off.

I think miqo'to slouch a little too.

They do. Or rather, it's not exactly slouching, as it is jutting the hips forward, shoulders back, and the head pushes forward. They'd make a chiropractor cry.

This amused me greatly. They do have a bit of a weird stance don't they?

Blame the tail.

I think miqo'to slouch a little too.

They do. Or rather, it's not exactly slouching, as it is jutting the hips forward, shoulders back, and the head pushes forward. They'd make a chiropractor cry.

This amused me greatly. They do have a bit of a weird stance don't they?

Blame the tail.

Yanno, I'd sort of discounted the tail. But I guess if you had a tail that long adding extra weight behind you, you'd shift your center of gravity forward, wouldn't you?

Very insightful of you!