Cliche RP Elements

Eva

My scars?

I had an unfortunate accident when I opened my box of morning cheerios and out popped an enraged raptor riding a shark.

Don't ask.

...Thats gotta be the most unlikely coincidence. That happened to me too, except the Raptor and shark were covered in bees.

That were on fire.

(I couldn't resist)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY SCARS ARE FROM MY DARK AND DEPRESSING PAST WHEN MY PARENTS WERE KILLED BY A DEMON THAT ATTACKED MY VILLAGE WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG.

That's usually what you get right there.

And were you possessed by the demon at the time?

If so, that's like the friggin' epitome of cliched wangt scarring.

Just raging here, so if it's some multi-posting stuff, forgive me.

People who can't make an original concept.

People who drag their characters through every multiverse, and pretend it's the same person, with the same powers.

People who play a character as if they looked up tsundere, or some other cliche tv-show/anime/manga/movied/etc. ideal and look at it -every- -time- their character has to think about which shoe goes on which foot.

People who are one race, but raised by another. (It's fine in doses, but "ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL", guys.)

Dark/Depressing/Completely emo characters with pasts that are filled with parental abuse/parental death. We dig it, it was cool when we were 14 (Heck, I did it too, but at least I -tried- to pretend like my character didn't really care about it, until it was good for SOMEONE ELSE'S PLOT AND NOT MY OWN DRAMA WHORING.)

Drama whores.

Replying TO EVERYTHING. "I agree" SCREW YOU, NO YOU DON'T, KNOW YOUR ROLE, OTHERWISE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SAID THAT ANYWAY. (Being silly.)

Elves who are actually small, humans who are actually tall, tarutaru/lalafell who're actually psychotic monsters, mithra/mi'qote who are actually manthra/lesbians, Galka who are old and wise and OMGWTF I HAVE DESCENDED FROM SUN TSUNG VON HITLER.

Also:

Characters who speak in tongue outside of regular chat. Accents are cool, overused of course, but cool. But, WE DON'T SPEAK FRENCH IN THE WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY. (This coming from me, who considers "Oui?" and "Non" a piece of the francais/cajun accent.)

People who drag their characters through every multiverse' date=' and pretend it's the same person, with the same powers.[/quote']

People who use the same exact character over and over again, period.

Also, and this is a complaint about MMOs in general. STOP USING JAPANESE NAMES. I'm so serious. We're not in Japan and this game is also not set in Japan. (Though it is made in Japan,

.)
Guilty' date=' until recently.[/quote']

You got better. ;)

Actually it doesn't bother me as much when it's done really well, it's just that it freaks me out to go to multiple MMO RP sites and see the same character names a couple of times in a row. Breaks my illusion a bit, but maybe I need a better filter. :P

Well, I was horribly guilty of reusing my FFXI character on WoW, then making him one of my standards in D&D, and WoD.

But, he needs to rest. I've killed him. So, now I have thousands of folders of D&D, and WoD characters.

His daughter, however, I still enjoy on occasion. But, it's hard not to enjoy a hermaphroditic teenage girl with no idea of the ideal of tact, and is loonier than Bugs Bunny on a bad day.

I am tired of mithra (or miqo'te in this case) that act overly cutesie and innocent' date=' and adopt some guy as her BIIIIIIIIIIG BROOOOOOOOOOOTHER ^___^ ^___^ >.< >.< >///////////< God I hate them.[/quote']

D: My miqo'te is going to be innocent and naive, at least until her skewed view on the world is squished by the truth. I hope that isn't cliche, I mean she won't be going around giving hugs and adopt some guy as her brother or anything.

I think the "Hai desu ne onii-chan!" squeaky cutsie character is pretty darn obnoxious too, but now I feel cliche. /cry

True enough, I suppose. I'm just glad my perception of "good" characters have evolved since I was 13. Dear god the horrible characters I concocted at that age.. I'll try my best with the presentation and (hopefully) she won't turn out bad.xD

True enough' date=' I suppose. I'm just glad my perception of "good" characters have evolved since I was 13. Dear god the horrible characters I concocted at that age.. I'll try my best with the presentation and (hopefully) she won't turn out bad.xD[/quote']

I'm sure it won't be that bad. The fact that you care about making your character good will go a long way.

People who drag their characters through every multiverse, and pretend it's the same person, with the same powers.

People who play a character as if they looked up tsundere, or some other cliche tv-show/anime/manga/movied/etc. ideal and look at it -every- -time- their character has to think about which shoe goes on which foot.

People who are one race, but raised by another. (It's fine in doses, but "ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL", guys.)

Dark/Depressing/Completely emo characters with pasts that are filled with parental abuse/parental death. We dig it, it was cool when we were 14 (Heck, I did it too, but at least I -tried- to pretend like my character didn't really care about it, until it was good for SOMEONE ELSE'S PLOT AND NOT MY OWN DRAMA WHORING.)

Drama whores.

Replying TO EVERYTHING. "I agree" SCREW YOU, NO YOU DON'T, KNOW YOUR ROLE, OTHERWISE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SAID THAT ANYWAY. (Being silly.)

Elves who are actually small, humans who are actually tall, tarutaru/lalafell who're actually psychotic monsters, mithra/mi'qote who are actually manthra/lesbians, Galka who are old and wise and OMGWTF I HAVE DESCENDED FROM SUN TSUNG VON HITLER.

Also:

Characters who speak in tongue outside of regular chat. Accents are cool, overused of course, but cool. But, WE DON'T SPEAK FRENCH IN THE WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY. (This coming from me, who considers "Oui?" and "Non" a piece of the francais/cajun accent.)

There's french in the very naming of locations in the Elven kingdom.

Actually more to the point... We don't speak English there either. English is simply the most widely accepted 'translation' of whatever language is being used in Vanadiel because we're (mostly) Americans. In Germany it's a different case and in Japan it's a different case. If somebody uses French words it's no more absurd that pretending, in game, everyone is speaking English.

Drama whores.

Also:

Actually more to the point... We don't speak English there either. English is simply the most widely accepted 'translation' of whatever language is being used in Vanadiel because we're (mostly) Americans. In Germany it's a different case and in Japan it's a different case. If somebody uses French words it's no more absurd that pretending, in game, everyone is speaking English.

Well of course, but that's just my example. When you play a game that has established languages, and someone suddenly starts going "OUI OUI BAGGUETE DU FROMAGE?!" don't you want to slap them?

I am not sure if this is cliche or not but my back ground goes something like this.

My character was a simple fisherman in a small village, good family, good parents, nothing wrong really.

One day he gets struck by lightening and wakes up sorta hurt. People in the village say he just didn't seem to be the same person. He rebels and starts to be mischievous, small petty things, small crimes. Mostly he was reacting to the village because he could not understand what they mean by his change. He just felt more alive and wanted to express it.

several years later, in a thunder storm he was almost struck again. He was able to get out of the way of the bolt just by chance. To him thought it was a sign to "move his feet." So he wished mom and dad best of luck, promise to send back gil and took to the road.

He was young, got into some trouble, arrested a few times but really did want to be good. He just didn't want to be bored.

Years later he finds himself in Ul'dah paying off some court fees and starting a new life of adventuring where his energetic ways might earn him some cash, and possibly help him understand what his role in life really is.

No god mode

no emo, had a good life, parents are assumed to be alive

not a dark past, just checkered and getting over it. No dark secrets.

not a master thief, just a terrible thug. Never been good at anything because he never had to be.

I want him to be mortal with a slightly imperfect past. It might not be epic, but ir does give a comfortable feel to it.

I am trying to reflect less on his past, and more on his interactions. There is a past, but its a foot note instead of the whole. His real life begins in-game.

Drama whores.

Also:

Well of course, but that's just my example. When you play a game that has established languages, and someone suddenly starts going "OUI OUI BAGGUETE DU FROMAGE?!" don't you want to slap them?

Depends how it's handled. It can be very condescending.