Goggles AND Helm? Only if you're Australian!

Veedo

So a few friends of mine got XIV at the same time as me today (technically yesterday now) and to my dismay and their joy they have BOTH pre-order items.

I've sent a rather polite "WTF Mate?" email to Square Enix in regards to this, but still.. Knowing how their response center works I'll be getting a reply post-SE release so if I wanted the goggles I'd already have them.

Anyone else have mixed feelings regarding this?

Why am I having to pay an extra amount for the same?

Because the Aussies deserve to be thrown a bone once and a while. Have you seen how awful it is down there in terms of release dates for most games, much less all the censoring they do? :cry: Poor blokes.

Not to mention how much more expensive the games are down there. Those Aussies got it rough for sure.

Why am I having to pay an extra amount for the same?

Because the Aussies deserve to be thrown a bone once and a while. Have you seen how awful it is down there in terms of release dates for most games, much less all the censoring they do? :cry: Poor blokes.

Yeah it's worse than the EU and what Schwarzenegger is trying to shove through.

Sides you can't wear both at the same time and the Onion Helm is dorky anyways.

I think my main issue is the fact that the goggles give that nice boost to stat gain.

So not only is one country getting BOTH pre-order items, but also BOTH benefits. Last I checked the goggles were designed to help the SE people CATCH UP to us with the CE. Now if the eight-days-early goggles DIDN'T have the stat bonus I wouldn't be as bothered. I know you can make goggles that LOOK like those ingame anyway, so it's the -effect- that is the issue.

Honestly?

I wanted the CE for a variety of reason, including the Making Of (though there is nothing that I haven't already seen on YouTube, which sucks... what good is a dvd with stuff that's been released prior to pre-release?).

I would -gladly- trade that silly Onion Helm for goggles that improve crafting.

All in all, the only benefit I got from buying CE is a pretty book I won't want to write in, a funky certificate (the page to redeem it didn't even work when I tried earlier), and a few more days of playing.

I'm disappointed and should have gone for the regular release.

Now some folks get the goggles with their CE? That sucks. I wanted those goggles but thought the CE would be worth the sacrifice. It kinda isn't, considering the price difference, so I'm a sad panda. Except I'm not a panda.

Please explain how it is envious to expect fairness?

Because expecting complete fairness CAN lead to envy.

I'll make an example. A family has six children. While all of the children are living at home, the money are a bit tight. Now, of course the children grow older. when the 3 oldest has moved away from home and starts taking care of themselves, the parents of course have more money in their hands than they did when all 6 was living at home. They still help the 3 oldest out now and then, but all in all, they don't spend nearly as much on them, as they did when they were living at home.

Now, if it was to be totally fair, the parents would not spend any more money on the 3 remaining kids, than they did on the 3 oldest when they were still living at home. It's fair, right? Why should the 3 youngest get anything more than the 3 oldest?

But in my eyes, it would be extremely petty of the 3 oldest to expect that, and it WOULD be envy. If the oldest demanded that the parents didn't spend more on teir younger siblings, they wouldn't be doing anything good for themselves, they would only be taking away from their siblings, which, as I said, is rather petty.

Now, I know that this example can't completely translate to this situation, since we actually payed for the CE. While I'd have liked the goggles too, I'm in no way upset that the people in Australia got it. It's most likely a mistake, and not SE going "Haha, we're giving THIS to people in Australia, but not to YOU!", so I'm just happy for the people there, who get both. If me and a friend were getting money from an ATM, and my friend by mistake got 20 dollars extra, and I didn't, I wouldn't be upset at the ATM. A bit envious at my friend for getting more money, sure, but in a good hearted way, I'd mainly be happy for him.

And I should probably just shut up with all my examples now :P

In regards to your final part. Getting the goggles wouldn't be breaking the law if we kept them. ;)

True, hehe, I wasn't really calculating the law into it. Then let's say... You're ordering icecream, and your friend accidently get 3 scoops instead of 2? Or wait, I guess that could be concidered illegal too... Damn you, silly law system!

In regards to your final part. Getting the goggles wouldn't be breaking the law if we kept them. ;)

True, hehe, I wasn't really calculating the law into it. Then let's say... You're ordering icecream, and your friend accidently get 3 scoops instead of 2? Or wait, I guess that could be concidered illegal too... Damn you, silly law system!

Your examples are cute, and sound a lot like the sort of analogies I'd try to make up. They made me laugh. :)

However, it's not entirely accurate. When the same group of people are all paying the same amount of money for a stated service, it's not unreasonable to expect that they'll all receive the same service.

To continue your analogy, you take your car into the shop for an oil change, and pay for the oil change. Your oil gets changed, and you leave.

You friend takes his car into the shop for an oil change, and pays the same amount of money you did, to the same shop. They change his oil, replace his wiper blades, rotate his tires, and check the other fluids in the car.

Wouldn't you wonder why he got a better level of service than you did?

Now, mind you, I'm not angry. I'm getting the regular edition goggles myself, so it isn't as if I'm upset that someone's getting goggles that shouldn't. But I don't think there's anything unreasonable with some people wondering why another group of people are getting something above and beyond what they paid for, when both groups paid equally.

I see your point, Chveya, and I agree in some ways.

I still think my ice cream example is a bit more accurate than the car one though, seeing as I said, I think it's a mistake that they got the goggles.

In your car example, the auto shop desides to give your friend more service for the same money, which I agree you could be upset about. But in the case of the goggles, it seems more random, and not like an active choice from SE I think.

I can totally understand that people are disappointed about it, but I'm not upset with either the Aussies or SE for it, and it wouldn't surprise me if they take the goggles away from them again :D

Edit: Just on the note, I don't really feel strongly either way, I'm just having fun with the examples right now :P

Apart of everything did anyone really check the prices in Australia and compared it to other parts of the world...

We europeans pay 55 and 41 Euros and you pay 75 or 50 Dollar right? So the index is 1,33 Dollar per Euro. Real price should have been:

54,50 Dollar for SE and 73 Dollar for CE... ok that fits - your CE is a bit more expensive and your SE a lot more cheap than ours. But what about Australia?

79 australian Dollars and 109 australian Dollars. I do not know the trading course, but paying that amount whithout a weak currency is practically a robbery. So it might be nothing less then buying both without buying both by accident. Give them the damn keys! It was expensive anyway.

Speaking of fairness isn't it unfair to pay extra for "exclusive" making of content and find out it all has been released on YouTube by the company itself (not a leak, the company!) before?

It's not exclusive at all.

I paid for exclusive.

If not for having a full 8 days to play before the regular, I'd wish I had gone with regular. The goggles alone made me hesitate so much. :(

Speaking of fairness isn't it unfair to pay extra for "exclusive" making of content and find out it all has been released on YouTube by the company itself (not a leak, the company!) before?

It's not exclusive at all.

I paid for exclusive.

If not for having a full 8 days to play before the regular, I'd wish I had gone with regular. The goggles alone made me hesitate so much. :(

Agreed.

The onion helm is a useless piece of trash IMO.

Reduces death cooldown? big deal, it lasts like 3 minutes anyway.

Compared to the goggles of skillleveling?

"regular" edition players are no doubt going to come in, skull up, and keep going.

The extra 8 days seems incredibly pointless now I'm up and running.

And looking back, I am filled with nothing but regret.

So far, due to my XI not linking properly (partially my fault, partially them not getting back to me in time on the account support), I've already missed out on the first two days of the extra time and looks like I'll be missing the next. It's starting to feel like I may as well wait until the 30th to get started. If that's the case I'll have all the bonus items anyways. xD;

;_;

Apart of everything did anyone really check the prices in Australia and compared it to other parts of the world...

We europeans pay 55 and 41 Euros and you pay 75 or 50 Dollar right? So the index is 1,33 Dollar per Euro. Real price should have been:

54,50 Euro for SE and 73 Euro for CE... ok that fits - your CE is a bit cheaper and your SE a bit more expensive than ours, too. But what about Australia?

79 australian Dollars and 109 australian Dollars. I do not know the trading course, but paying that amount whithout a weak currency is practically a robbery. So it might be nothing less then buying both without buying both by accident. Give them the damn keys! It was expensive anyway.

Good point.

I actually payed 700 DKK for mine, 125 US dollars. The Australians pay around 69 US dollars for theirs. Yup, Denmark sucks when it comes to prices of games.

So far, due to my XI not linking properly (partially my fault, partially them not getting back to me in time on the account support), I've already missed out on the first two days of the extra time and looks like I'll be missing the next. It's starting to feel like I may as well wait until the 30th to get started. If that's the case I'll have all the bonus items anyways. xD;

;_;

Ayaya~

-Pats-

Wouldn't you have to wait until the 30th anyway?

Since you need to enter the goggles code before you make your character?

I can sympathise with your pain, I'm waiting on a CPU, trying to cope with 8 FPS is just unplayable.

And with the sandstorm last night it was down to 3 ;_;

I do. I've actually bought a second character slot to make an alt so my eight days aren't wasted. I'm a grind-fiend anyway, so I'll make up for this weeks loss. Especially now I figured a potential way around Fatigue System so I can recharge and get back in action. ;D

Hugs for low framerates! D: â¥

Good point.

I actually payed 700 DKK for mine, 125 US dollars. The Australians pay around 69 US dollars for theirs. Yup, Denmark sucks when it comes to prices of games.

You are wrong. The course is nearly 1:1 for the US to the Austrian Dollar. It is 1:1,05 and makes 109 Dollar just 104,11 in US Dollar. Therefore they pay a lot more. But you are right! You pay 131,50 Australian Dollar in comparison with 700 DKK... well maybe reduced by 6% - your tax bonus from my view - it still is 99 US Dollar from the German view. So you are way above our prices by 25%...

We get paid back though. Our medics are far too expensive.