Stranger in a Strange Land

Since this has become a generic thread in which I RP and post stories, I've decided to add a makeshift table of contents!  Everything in this thread are either stories or RP associated with recent of ongoing events (i.e they occur after the start of 2.0 when Aya began her new life outside the walls of Ishgard).  Stories relating to earlier events are to be found in other threads, thought I will link to them here.

Aya_foxheart.png

Story Arcs

The Curious Curio

1. Once Upon a Curious Shoppe with Verad Bellveil
  2. A Curious Trinket
  3. A Curious Delivery  
  4. A Curious Night at Work  

Scales in the Sand

1. A Disturbing Turn
  2. Second Thoughts
  3. Cause
  4. The Trail Part One
  5. The Trail Part Two
  6. Laying a Trap With C'kayah
  7. Eyes on the No-Eyed Man Event Write-Up
  8. Ramifications for a Working Girl
  9. Suspicions and Disappointment With C'kayah and Vi
  10. A Hidden Idea
  11. The Master Forger by C'kayah
  12. The Nightmare Cometh with Enju
  13. To Confront a Nightmare
  14. The Nightmare Ends Event Write-Up
  • Postscript Reflecting on events of Scales in the Sand.

Crimes Against Nature

1. Return to the Shroud
  2. Wild Chocobo Chase with C'kayah
  3. A Model's Reflections
  4. The Sleeping Boar
  5. Of the Flight of Birds
  6. Meeting Weylan With Nihka as Weylan
  7. The Rabbit Hole with Nihka as Weylan
  8. Meeting on the Pier with C'kayah
  9. Interlude
  10. Research with Rhea Zaheela

Merchant, Marine

1. Slowing the Wheels of Justice - Part One
  2. Slowing the Wheels of Justice - Part Two
  3. Detached Musings
  4. Why? - Looking Back

Verad Bellveil Versus the World

1. An Evening Surveillance
  2. City of Sadness
  3. Plus ça Change

Heirloom

Homecoming

1. Part One
  2. Part Two
  3. Part Three
  4. Part Four
  5. Part Five
  6. Part Six

Vignettes

Stories

Forum RP

Bulletin Board

Poetry and Songs

Ishgard - From Where I came

Cold spring gives way to colder summer.

The seasons having lost their way.

‘Twas not that sun chose to slumber,

But that the frost preferred to stay.

Whatever spell was cast upon it,

On that remembered fateful day,

Could not be fled, except by permit,

Sooner some escape, than to obey.

To find the world, than to submit.

I once was one that longed to see

To hear, to feel, to learn, and know,

What it meant to be a woman free.

To leave it all behind, and let it go.

Now I know, the taste and feel of sun.

Beach-hot white sand beneath my feet,

In salt-sweet air, and carefree fun,

And endless smiles for all I meet.

But I cannot forget, or cease to care,

From where I came, and who I am.

Embittered cold, that all must bear,

From where I came, and who I am.

The howling gale, hope, despair.

Where cold-capped snow peaks linger still,

Where frost strong-clings to all it sees.

Where hearth and home bring warm goodwill,

Where love exists beneath the freeze.

A Sonnet for the Fury

Iceborn goddess, for our own heart's solace,

Renew today this sacred trust that binds

Our towers gleaming, your image flawless.

So they together ever will entwine.

We knoweth thee, beneath our frigid plea;

That you alone command hard frostbit cold

And harken not to warm our land with glee,

But narrow lucent eyes on us to scold.

For what is fear of bidden ice-cold rime

Compared with perils of dragon fire.

Learn thee to face the harshest cold, sublime.

Lest fail yourself the test of time, and tire.

But... as she cloaks our land with bulwark cold,

Does she our hearts' goodwill and warmth withhold?

Black Sads of Ul'dah

Black sand stands watch, bitter sun

Days hard toil, spirit spent, wages won

Beneath tall spires, that toward the sky stretch on,

Wondering from day-to-day when it will be done,

And who, when it comes, will have won

And what it is, they shall acquire.

Those who cannot shun hard sand blown,

Know what those above have never known,

Where hot air boils, and bakes the bone,

Spirits worn to pound the sand and stone

Yet still are told they must atone,

and stubbornly refuse to tire.

While those in towers watch with scorn,

Upon those lesser, to toil born,

Whose clothes, tools, and hands hard-worn,

Have little, gilded, or untorn,

And know not what it truly means to adorn,

The polished pleasantry of the buyer.

Upon hard dust, where pity breaks,

All are owned or bought by he who takes,

And uses them for all good things he makes,

Reminding each again of the stakes,

The threat that awaits when he awakes,

Should the master, in his whim desire.

Hope, and eyes raised to aspire still,

When rain comes to bring its thirsty-thrill,

Letting all below, devour and drink their fill,

While, showing masters beyond the till,

Who know the truth, and all they will,

Give faith to eyes, and inspire.

The sight of rain that cannot recognize

That doesn't know or seem to realize

That it should know who to penalize,

and who its supposed to demonize,

But instead, seems to emphasize

That none should be the drier.

Mirk-Wood - Excerpt from Gyr-Abanian Folk Song

In those, long past, distant days of yore.

When we learned , our songs of love, and lore

Of Misty wood, and ancient timber,

Of mighty boughs, untouched by cinder.

Where heroes, beyond our ken,  once stood,

Within that dark, that black, that Mirk-wood.

First Snow

When each day's new sun grows briefer and wan

The bleak evening moon, will glimmer with snow

And Crystal-like frost will shimmer with dawn

And hoarfrost will end the bright autumn show

And all will soon know, that winter is here.

And all will soon know, that winter is here.

When snow's first fall meets dim evening moonlight

Its falling, its falling, its silent, and still

And glimmers and shimmers to greatest delight

A falling, soft blanket that covers the hill.

We feel the great joy, that winter is here.

We feel the great joy, that winter is here.

Let us be ready, for bare winter freeze

Each stocked and prepared, each stocked and made ready.

An end to all playful diversion and ease.

The season is hardship, fearsome and heady.

For now we all know, that winter is here.

For now we all know, that winter is here.

'Round warm fire sitting, we come and we gather.

To share our good will, and wait for the cease,

Of this cold winter season, would that we rather,

Remember for calm - and remember for peace.

We are together, and winter is here.

We are together, and winter is here.

In its own way, it makes things more clear.

It shows us our love, and what is so dear.

There is no reason for panic nor reason for fear:

It is only the passing, the passing of time

That one true condition, of all that has been:

The dawn is the darkest, at the start of each year,

It still holds such promise, and reason for cheer.

So let us be still, the first snowfall is here.

So let us be still, the first snowfall is here.

A Tonberry's Love

I will never forget, that shuffle of feet

Those two yellow eyes - that peered in the dark

Just gazing, and gazing, with the aid of his light

Through that long and dark tunnel - to his greatest delight!

[Chorus]

With those cute little hands -

And those cute little eyes -

Those cute little boots!

And that cute little knife!

Dark though it was, I know that he smiled

And gave me that look, that longed for my touch.

How he followed, and followed, no break in his stride.

Through that long and dark tunnel - he chased his new bride.

[Chorus]

I knew it right then! A love like no other

For that little green man, who never gives up!

Just chasing, and chasing, the one he holds dear,

Through that long and dark tunnel - with feelings sincere.

[Chorus]

Some girls want their jewels, and some want their gold.

I'll pass on it all!  I know what I like:

My little green man, with his little green face.

You know what they say: The fun's in the chase!

[Chorus]

A Spring Bird's Song

O, dear little bird!  Sit and sing now for me?

Tell me what it is like? What it is you have seen?

Just how high can you fly? Just how far can you see?

Of where you have come? And what lies between.

Of fresh breaking Spring, the fall of warm rain,

Of lifting grey fog stirred over the dale,

Of rising sun's light 'cross broad open plain,

Of winter thaw's sound in deep river vale.

Of oceans wide calm and rivers loud roar,

Of frost's nipping cold, which drove your long flight

From where you were born, learned to sing, and to soar.

Now homeward you're bound, after winter's long night

And here just to stay, to rest tired wing.

So lucky we are, to hear the bird sing.

Mutineers Cause

Wind roars while cables snap and sing,

Doused in the dank of chop sea spray.

The few who dare, to battens cling,

Gritting into wind; too proud to pray.

These were the first to ply the sea,

Charting their way they searched, and strayed

Wild as the surf: damned, rough, and free.

They risked it all, to raid or trade.

More would follow, in their wake.

Then softening ways, and routes begin,

The waves were claimed for living's sake,

Organized, to be but merchantmen.

So the wild, raging, waters tamed

Leave men behind, unsure of what to make,

Without their place or name, now shamed,

By this strange new world, in which they wake.

The rules of conduct now are named,

All brought tight, strict and uniform.

What once was theirs, cannot be claimed,

The calm has settled violent storm.

And now, in anger, rage, and grief

They look to search and find once more,

For shred of peace, and sweet relief,

For what was theirs in youth or yore.

Hero of the Hour

Where prow through wave breaks,

Beneath salt spray scour,

When stout hull rattles and shakes,

There you'll find the hero of the hour

divider.png

Original Post below:

((I am writing to help flesh out Aya's character a little more fully.  I welcome anyone RPing with her at the Ul'dahn market or anywhere else she may wander!))

The small room, snuggled away on the North side of the Quick Sand where Momodi preferred to place her less desirable customers, sweltered in the burning mid-morning sun. Sweat-drenched, Aya dropped into the formalized pose upon her mat, feeling the stretch burning down the back of her leg. The sun glared down upon her with an intensity, that she thought bordered upon hatred.

The long runs in the cool shade of the Black Shroud seemed such a distant memory, a dream that had flitted away in the blink of an eye.  She swallowed consciously, feeling the dryness in her throat as she pressed into the stretch, holding it long, working the tension from her body.   

How she missed the Hungry Wolf training regimen: hard though it had pressed her, she now felt tortured by the cramped confines of her present circumstances.  Ul’dah offered little escape, only the desert that loomed so threateningly outside the walls: whipping sand, scorching winds, and barren landscapes.  With one arm supporting her upper body, she lifted her other arm,extending it into the air as she rolled her body to the side. 

The cramped spaces, and confinement within the walled city, reminded her so much of Ishgard.  It seemed only natural for her to return to the same routines that she had found successful there; after all, she was no longer preparing for a life of combat, was she?  She pulled her body into a sitting position,legs crossed, and hands resting upon her knees. She breathed consciously, drawing each breath slowly, with measured precision.

The routine was meant to calm the mind, and lift the emotions.  Yet, her thoughts, and apprehension, continued to wander without control.  She was rarely reflective, but it seemed hard to avoid when her past had so suddenly caught up with her: why would any Ishgardian care about her?  Certainly any affiliated with the Houses would have found her absence in the city an improvement.  “But Osric had been so concerned…” she thought as a lump firmed in her throat, no amount of controlled breathing able to slow the increasing pace of her heart.

She had tried to leave it all behind.  But were things really any better now?  She opened her eyes and looked toward the drawn window shades, feeling the blaze of the sun cutting through them with a merciless persistence.  She had once been a dancer, perhaps even something of a starlet – then a runaway, a barmaid, a mercenary, and a barmaid once more.  How far had she really come?  What had freedom brought her?

Of course, she was thankful for the work even though it could be challenging: the customs in Ul’dah were not as forgiving as those in Gridania, nor were the customers.  ”But what else could I do?” she asked aloud, to no one in particular.  Petty crime carried with it harsh punishments, and she felt that suspicion was already aroused against her, and with her position in the city (and Eorzea itself) tenuous enough, even the slightest disturbance could dash her comfortable little existence.  She thought back to the recent offer: “just carry a message…” he’d asked, as simple as that… she shook her head a little, “no, not worth the risk.” 

She’d done worse of course, both in Ishgard, and again in Gridania.  As a mercenary she had literally fought, and killed, for pay. They were bandits, and poachers, but nonetheless: she had killed, or helped kill on more than one occasion. She had pretended to be something she wasn’t: she had embraced what she felt was the true calling of her family, and seized that life of adventure that she wanted so badly, only to realize too late that it was not meant for her.  She squeezed her lips together, pressing her eyes closed, as if by exerting mental pressure she could make the images and memories disappear.

Suddenly the tension dissipated as she considered the ridiculousness of it all, ”Probably the only thing I’ve ever done that father would be proud of…”

She opened her eyes once more, resolved toward nothing but to carry on accepting the risks of life. At least she was away from there, at least she had a roof over her head, at least she had something of a home, and gazing toward the pouch of her hard won earnings, at least she had her gil, and the vaguest hint of hope for a more comfortable, and perhaps even luxurious, life.

She rose to her feet to wash, and dress for the day.  Pulling on a long cloak, she drew the hood over her head, leaving long blonde locks curling down the front of her shoulders.  It was time to visit the market to purchase some choice produce for Momodi, and she wanted to be a little more difficult to recognize.  Snatching a handful of gil she smiled to herself, “And maybe a little something nice for me…”  She thought for a moment of the kind patrons of the Quick Sand, and the tips they left, and then of the jewelry, shoes, and perfume she would buy—if not today, then someday.

Edited by Aya
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that protected Midna from today's scorching sun was her old hempen hat and as thankful as she was for it for protecting her from most of the rays, the piece of headgear made her feel like her hair would burn any moment now and that what little makeup she had would melt away. It didn't help that there were so many people roaming the markets.

Midna quickly found a spot the sun couldn't reach and rested a few seconds, taking her hat off and using it like a fan and thought of how she ended up in this situation. She had once again failed her last task given to her by the alchemy guild, the guild supplier had somehow mistaken a rare bottle of voidsent blood for a of bottle of beastkin blood and had given it to the elezen, whom happily started working on her potion until she ended up with very strange results. Of course, the responsibility fell on her completely as the guildmaster said that she should have checked the content at least fifty-seven times before starting.

"As if anyone would do this." The elezen said with a sigh. Now she had been sent to do errands with the apprentice alchemists who were very happy to be of use. She didn't share their joy and could only think of sneaking away. Sure, she'd probably be yelled at but burning under the sun was way worse than that.

All she needed was an excuse to get away from the group. She could probably say that she's trying to sell some potions to a passerby for the guildmaster, or say that she's trying to recruit more people into the guild.

"That might work. Now to find somebody I could pull away easily, it can't be a roegadyn or a lalafell..." she muttered as she put her hat back on her head, walking out of the dark spot she was in and looking around, trying to find someone that would fit what she looked for.

Excepting the cloak hastily wrapped around her, Aya was already dressed to barmaid.  From the market she planned to head to the Quick Sand, and start her work for the day.  She had not adopted the fashions that seemed to preside in Ul'dah, but looked instead like she had just teleported straight from Northern Eorzea.  As she moved from stall to stall, weaving her way through the marketplace throngs, her unsecured cloak gave glimpses of the short skirt, high leather boots, and corset-style bodice she most often wore for work.  Momodi thought the "exotic" look might encourage business, and make some of the foreign adventurers feel more at home in the Quick Sand.  Ever one to feel fashionable in everything she did, Aya had been quick to agree. 

She carried a woven basket on her left arm, containing an assortment of spices and ingredients, already purchased, to use in the preparation of the evening's special: Momodi's favorite lamb kebabs.  The scent of spice wafted around her, mixing with  the light dab of perfume she wore; down to the final drops of the Ishgardian fragrance, she used it sparingly, wondering when her supplier, C'kayah, might return with more...

She looked plaintively to the spice peddlar, holding a cup filled with peppercorns.  Faced with those sad blue eyes, and bitten lip, the stoic Ul'dahn relented, accepting the proffered coin with a grudging nod, and a roll of the eyes.  Turning away, the girl could not quite contain the smile that crept across her lips.  Every gil saved was another she might enjoy; she lifted the small purse with her fingers, feeling the few coin remaining at the end of her errands, some of which just might not make it back to Momodi.  She continued a short distance along the stalls the before approaching a display of jewelry.

Eyes widened, she leaned forward letting her long curled bangs fall from her hood.  She carefully cared for those locks: washing, treating, and maintaining that hint of natural curl that made her hair slightly unpredictable. She felt it made her stand out in the Quick Sand, and helped with the steady tips and recognition that made the work more worthwhile.  Yet, the same striking sight meant to catch the eye of patrons of the Quick Sand, would do just the same when trying to hide from curious eyes in the open market, rendering her "subtle disguise" rather less useful than she realized.

Her eyes, full with delight, moved quickly through the seemingly endless assortment of chains and gems, but it was a collection of belly-chains that really caught her attention.  She couldn't help but think that whatever Ul'dahns may have lacked in anything else, they made up for it in their incredible variety of body-jewelry.  "So beautiful..." she said aloud without thinking it, biting her lip as she hefted the small purse once more, knowing it was just not going to be enough.

Midna had been scouting the streets while distributing whatever she had to give, not truly paying attention to the contents of the boxes she was carrying. It had only been ten minutes and the elezen already felt like she was about to collapse on the floor because of the heat. How long would she have to bear this before finding a way to escape this hell? All the elezen could do was to silently pray to the Twelve that they would get her out of it.

It almost felt like the gods had answered to her pleas as she passed by the jeweler's stall when somebody caught her eye: A hyur that, judging from the unusual clothes she wore, definitely didn't look from Ul'dah and she didn't look particularly strong either, making her the ideal "partner" for her escape plan.

She deposited the box she had in her hands where she was suppose to put it and swiftly made her way to the girl.

"Excuse me miss but you look perfectly like the kind of person that would love to make potions, ink, books and all sort of creations! My name is Midna Lilywell, apprentice at the Alchemy Guild. How about I make you visit our dear guild? I'm sure you'll be very much interested by it." Midna said with a smile. She felt the death glare coming from the jeweler, thinking the alchemist was there to steal her clients. "Of course once we're done I will immediately escort you back to these magnificent diamonds sold by this very kind merchant." She turned her head to the merchant in question with the same smile. The jeweler eased up a little and got back to her own business, taking care of another client.

The elezen had talked loud enough to make sure that the group she had been with had heard every word she had said. She took a few glances at the scattered apprentices who had stopped a bit when the elezen had suddenly dropped her activities. They all went back to work quickly enough after talking about how devoted the tall woman was. Midna then grabbed onto the hyur's arm as she pulled her with just enough force to make her move but not enough to make it feel like the girl was being kidnapped. If anything people would consider her as a very annoying recruiter for her guild and nothing more.

She just hoped the girl would follow her without troubles.

Aya, of course, was trying to disguise herself.  Osric's warning had been stern: assassins were attempting to kill Ishgardian exiles, those who had willingly fled from the city' shuttered gates, just as she had almost a year earlier.  When she felt a sudden tug, she turned her head making eye-contact with the Duskwight woman who had grabbed her.  The words regarding the alchemy guild washed right over her without recognition, she looked back with widened eyes, letting out a soft but startled, "huh?" 

As the Elezen dragged her along, her feet stumbling a bit as her mind tried to catch up to what was going on, she began to make the connection between the Duskwight and the Ishgardians.  Certainly they wouldn't approach her in such a crowded place... Ser Kiht had told her, afterall, that they were not specifically after her.  But still To Be Careful! 

"Huh?  What? she stammered, turning her head quickly back and forth, sending her hood falling back off of her head, long hair flowing freely down her shoulders and back.  As the potential danger of the situation finally gripped her, she planted her feet with a start, catching a rut between the paving stones with the edge of her high boot heels.  Lowering her body weight she suddenly tugs back, trying to wrench her arm free of the harmless, but threatening Elezen.  "What do you want me with me?!" she asks in a suddenly raised voice, her eyes wide with a mixture of surprise and fright.

Midna immediately released her grip when she felt that the girl didn't want to follow her and had started to panic, which of course had attracted the attention of the crowd around them. The elezen hadn't expected the hyur to have this kind of reaction and had begun panicking herself, she managed to keep a straight face and quickly found the right words to try and and appease the girl, she just hoped that there were no flame officiers around, it would cause her even more problems and give her a more painful headache than the one she already has thanks to the heat.

'That's some great hair she has, I'm almost jealous... Wait no, now's not the time to get distracted by hair. Focus girl!' Midna thought, slightly shaking her head as if to make those unnecessary thoughts go away.

The tall elezen slightly bowed. "My apologies miss, I might've been too quick to err, force myself upon you. You may not have heard me well but as I said already, I am from the alchemy guild and we're currently looking to recruit apprentices." She straightened her back, giving the best reassuring smile she could to the hyur. "You have all the rights to refuse but then I'll have to come back empty handed to the guild and will get yelled at once more." Midna faked a long, pained sigh to gain more sympathy from the girl. "Even just going there with me and saying that after all you're not interested could save my career! So, pretty please?" She asked almost desperately.

A little lie definitely wouldn't hurt, she would do anything just to get out of this heat, she'll explain everything to the girl once they were out of the sun's rays.

As Midna lets Aya go, she withdraws her arms quickly, with a gasp, her breath still rapid as she calms a little from the withdrawal of any immediate danger.

"Wait, what about the alchemist's guild?" she asks, as if she had missed everything the Elezen had said to that point, her voice still raised, though softer than a moment ago.  Her blue eyes still stood wide as she glanced about now furtively, catching momentarily upon the group of Alchemists, readily identifiable by their professional garb,  "You're with them?"  

She mutters a little under her breath, giving her head a slight shake, Maybe she's not an assassin after all...

As Midna gets a closer look at the Hyur girl, her cloak now laying open and hood thrown back, she does not appear to be much of a candidate for a trade guild, or hard work of any kind.

The market was where the young Miqo'te often found herself when she didn't have a specific job. A satchel slung over her shoulder with goods that she was trading with the local merchants. Her blouse open and revealing the leather bra beneath the threaded leather strings. The red fabric of the blouse worn at the seams and where it often folded. Pants neatly tucked into her soft soled boots. Bow and quiver slung across her back. Ears would flick towards loud noises but she would pause at the familiar perfume of the Ishgardian woman. Her nose wiggling a little as her dark blue eyes would begin to search the bustling crowd. It was then that she spotted the woman with golden locks, the outfit she often saw the woman in catching her eye as well.

A small growl catching in her throat to see the girl being dragged. It was already one of her intentions to watch over her and so she followed after, weaving through the crowd of buyers and merchants a like. "You're with them?" The question is what lingered when she finally arrived and she'd lift her chin lightly before clearing her throat. "Is there a problem here?" Though she did not look very intimidating she kept herself held upright in her pride.

Though the heat was slightly clouding her mind, the elezen had noticed how pretty the hyur was and had Midna been asked to search for something akin to a mascot, she wouldn't hesitate to find this girl. Alas! It wasn't how she had started her conversation and she now had to convince her better but at least it seemed like the hyur had become less suspicious of Midna.

"That's right, I'm with the alchemy guild! So-" She didn't have any time to finish her sentence before being interrupted by a new voice.

"Is there a problem here?"

Midna slightly turned her head toward the sound of the voice and the first thing she noticed was the bow carried by the female miqo'te.

"Oh brother..." Midna muttered through gritted teeth but still keeping a smile on her face. She quickly analyzed the clothes worn by the woman, nothing sge recognized, which meant that the miqo'te was either a mercenary,an adventurer, or both. It still was no better than a flame officier or a brass blade, she didn't want to end up with an arrow in the gut and decided to play it as safely as she could.

"Problems? I don't see any problems here, I am just doing my work to promote my guild's teachings and correcting a... misunderstanding between me and the lady in front of me. Perhaps this might even interest you, miss? The alchemy related work I mean." Midna said, keeping a smile on her face.

Maybe she should've just sneaked away at the beginning rather than go through all the troubles of getting an excuse but there was no turning back now, she just hoped that she would manage to get out of this situation before the sun knocks her unconscious.

Aya seemed startled at the unexpected interjection, "Is there a problem here?"  Outside of the Quick Sand she still remained apprehensive of Ul'dahn officials.  In the tavern she had Momodi watching over her, but out on the streets she felt utterly exposed to the sometimes wanton and arbitrary methods of law enforcement in the city.  Fortunately, the look of worry in her eyes as she first turned toward the Miqo'te faded rapidly as a look of recognition crossed her blue eyes--her shoulders visibly sagged in relief.

She smiled, her voice becoming soft again, "I think everything is alright.  The girl here is just a little over-enthusiastic about her trade." Aya glanced to the Elezen, her eyes now allaying her earlier fear, as she holds her smile, "I'm afraid that I'm already employed, and not really looking for a trade..."  The tone of her voice was gentle, but the declaration definite.  This was not a woman who wanted to work with her hands, as Midna's analytical eyes have probably already concluded.  It would be difficult to imagine her in an Alchemy Laboratory.

She turned her head back to T'shina, asking hopefully, "Maybe you could walk with me back to the Quick Sand?"

The Elezen was probably innocent, but Aya still did not like the idea of taking any chances.  With the rumors swirling about it would sure feel nice to get both feet back in that space where she had come to feel most at ease within the busy, bustling, boisterous city of the Desert Sun.

“I see…”

Even though Midna was supposed to feel upset about the current turn of events, she wasn't as she had noticed something when the Hyur locked eyes with the Miqo'te. Her expression had very suddenly switched from fright to relief and confidence. Even the tone of her voice had changed.

'How intriguing... Is my face that scary looking for her to be so wary of me? And how does she have such nice hair, I really want to know what she uses to keep it in this state with all the sand around- wait no, focus myself! I’ll think of that once I’m out of this place.' She thought, now was not the time to think about trivial details. The elezen was in a tight spot and the presence of the cat girl wearing a bow limited the choices she could make to make the Hyur agree to go with her.

Midna wasn’t one to give up easily and started searching the proper solution for her troublesome situation while trying to ignore the heat. Catching the hyur’s interest was the current problem, as she clearly didn’t want to even visit the alchemy guild. The first thing the elezen did was to analyze the hyur. Aside from her beauty, her clothes were far from being expensive looking. The basket full of ingredients was clearly showing that the girl wasn’t somebody wealthy like some of the merchants she saw before whom liked to show off their various accessories made of gold. Not wealthy, but she didn’t look like she was too poor either as she did have the money to buy food.

‘Interest… She was interested by those jewels.’ Midna took a quick glance at the merchant’s stall and saw the prices. The elezen wasn’t a big spender and had mostly used a small amount of money so far, only for necessary food, clothes and the occasional makeup tools, she tried to get as many ingredients she needed by herself to make her own potions as well. Not only was it of better quality half of the time but it also made her spare lots of gils in the long run.

‘If I negotiate correctly I shouldn’t have a problem with the prices, most of the stuff there is affordable… Aside from the very expensive stones in the back. I’ll have to count on my luck on this one.’ She thought as she had finished her plan. She had always appreciated the fact that she had inherited quick thinking from her mother, it had been useful in many occasions in her life.

She might have been a bit too slow as she only noticed now that they were talking about going back to the Quicksands.

“Hold up miss! I have a deal that might interest you. I know you’re not interested in alchemy but how about just taking a look at the place; that might give you an interest in the trade. In exchange, I’ll buy you something from the stall you had your eyes on before. ” She said, hinting at the display of jewelry. “You’re free to choose what you want me to buy as well. Oh and miss archer can come with you if you wish her to.”

While there was the fact that this might hurt her wallet more than she had expected to spend in two or three weeks, it was worth the price of escaping the heat for today. She wouldn’t need to go out of the guild for the rest of the month once the apprentices were done wandering the market with various objectives. And who knows, maybe she’ll learn how the secret to the hyur’s smooth hair if she was lucky.

Aya rested a hand on T'shina's shoulder, smiling as she gave a little tug as she tried to urge the pair onto the Quick Sand. 

She was happy for the escape, on reflection the Duskwight girl did not seem so threatening, but still, better safe than sorry...

"...you're free to choose what you want me to buy as well." 

Now these were dangerous words to use with Aya, even for someone she deeply liked and respected... Aya's head turned sharply toward Midna glancing back over her right shoulder, a twinkle in those blue eyes, and a grin forcing its way across her lips.  "What did you say your name was?

The sudden mood change from the Hyur surprised the elezen and the sparkling in her eyes was almost blinding. Midna had definitely expected a reaction from the girl but she didn't expect to have such an impact on the girl. Midna was sure as well that it didn't mean anything good for her wallet either. 'I wonder how many meals I'll have to skip after I buy her what she wants...'

"Lilywell, Midna Lilywell is the name. As you can see, I'm an apprentice at the alchemy guild and I specialize in making potions used against any kind of foe. As for the proposition I just made you, as long as you hold your word, I'll hold mine." Midna answered as she started doing the calculations in her head of how many gils she would have left depending on which item she would end up buying.

"I can only get you one of them though, my resources are limited after all, miss... ?" She added, almost absent minded, still busy calculating.

The way that the woman relaxed had even put her at ease herself. Which, was strange for the archer. She would eye the Duskwight woman carefully and adjust the strap of her satchel. "Yeah, I'll walk you back." But the words would fall on deaf ears even as she felt herself being tugged along, soon enough to be stopped past her half step she had been making. Her right ear flicked a few times as she would watch the woman. She really was trying too hard to get Aya to come with her to the Alchemist's guild. Enough to put a hole in her pocket.

Dark blue eyes would look to the stand of jewels and gems, recognizing them as expensive from her own work with the little creations. (Can never be too careful with the goods you trade.) But it seems that Aya was persuaded and due to her own unease and having that protective feeling over the girl, she wasn't going to let her go alone. "Alright, lead the way. Wouldn't be the first time I was an escort." The Seeker would give a small smile at her own comment.

Aya watches Midna closely, her eyes tracking those of the Elezen as she glances away back toward the Jeweler's kiosk, the large, balding proprietor looking over the group of three with the amused grin of a merchant knowing a sale was imminent. 

As she spoke, Aya looked just a little disappointed, her lips curling into something of a pout as she canted her head, "Well... it wouldn't be fair to ask for too much, hmmm?" she looks up, smiling a little more, before glancing back to the jewelry, wondering if she really should accept the offer, how wonderful it would be to have one of the belly chains she had just been admiring...

She glanced toward T'shina, looking at her new friend appreciatively while addressing Midna, "I do have a shift at Momodi's this afternoon, how long did you want us to visit for?"

Midna was now fully done with her calculations and the poor elezen already saw herself skip quite a few meals with most of the displayed jewelry. On the other hand, she was now very close to being out of this place and will soon be able to sit down with a drink in hand in the shade. She knew just the spot right outside of Ul'dah where she could safely spend the rest of the day without having to worry about the apprentices finding her slacking off either.

"Oh don't worry, it'll only take a few minutes! I'll only accompany you to the guild, after that I'll be off to relax-" Midna immediately let out a cough to hide her unintentional slip up "I mean, do some more honest work for the sake of science of course." The elezen let out a small, slightly nervous laugh, she was hoping that the hyur would quickly choose whatever she wanted so that they could go as quickly as possible.

The Miqo'te would raise a brow at the Elezen's words, her right ear flicking a few times at the cough. Only a small frown would form on her full lips as she shakes her head. A soft sigh building in her chest before expelling from her. At this point it was up to Aya should she wish to partake in the Elezen's antics but T'shina was watching the strange Alchemist who wanted to get out of her duties.

Aya smiled pleasantly, just a hint of mischief dancing in her blue eyes.

"I can spare a few minutes!"  She turned around, her lips twitching a little as she tries to fight off the grin that pushes across her smile.  Her finger dances a bit over a few different pieces she had been admiring, her eyes darting from one to another.  They finally settle upon one of the belly chain, intricate silver metal work decorated with a few metal charms and gem stones.

Aya grins as she points it out to the shopkeeper, her gaze shifting to Midna, "I believe my friend will be purchasing this."

• 3 weeks later...

[align=center]divider.png[/align]

[align=center]Last Words with Ser Natalie: Aya the Soft[/align]

In the quiet of her little inn room, Aya could finally allow the storm of her emotions to break.  Lamplight flickered low against the opposite wall, the midnight darkness fully settled within the interior, heady yet with spice and incense.  Out of sight, out of mind, and away from watchful eyes, she felt the sudden urge to scream in frustration. 

Moons had passed since the incident in Pearl Lane, when the two Sultansworn who she had relied upon as her protectors in a hostile city, proved instead to be agents of that very threatening menace.  Still, the situation had changed dramatically, and besides, threatening to rough up a barmaid was a trifle compared to what else the two had been through.  Perhaps they could be friends again, and put the unfortunate situation behind them.

Aya had already made her peace with Kage, he had anyways seemed a reluctant thug, and she knew he had made efforts to protect her even at risk to himself.  Natalie was a different matter, however; she had seemed to enjoy her new 'duties' as a Brass Blade, and the two had not yet spoken since the events of that evening.  It shouldn't have surprised Natalie that it was only with trepidation that Aya agreed to sit down and talk to her again. 

There were no threats this time, it was an improvement.  But no apology would be forthcoming; instead Aya found herself the subject of advice, well-intentioned or not, regarding the nature of Ul'dah, and its inherent corruption.  Gil made the city go around, and everyone would be made to pay their share, it was just the way the city worked. 

Aya squeezed her fist for a moment, recalling Natalie's explanations: justification, rationalization, evasion of responsibility.  Natalie even had the temerity to suggest that she had done Aya a favor by being the one to threaten her, "another Brass Blade might not have let a physical assault go," she had said, referring to Aya's driving her high heel into Natalie's foot, the only moment of the entire situation that Aya could now recall with fondness. 

Natalie's description of the city was not without its purpose: it promoted herself to a position of non-responsible importance, a cog in a machine that operated without her input, a well-intentioned agent of a depraved system, that was nonetheless necessary for the growth of civilization.  At first Aya interpreted the words as a threat: leave this city or else, but she knew Natalie would have been more straightforward.  No, she decided, the intent was earnest, Natalie wished to inform Aya about the city of Ul'dah that she knew, and to warn her of what to expect.

Aya already knew better, she was not as naive as Natalie believed.  She already understood that such transactions, let alone the relationship channels along which they flowed, were less about gil, and more about power.  Regardless of the city, regardless of its culture, there would always be officials, petty and otherwise, looking to lord above others.  Creating fanciful fiction that it was actually for the victim's own good, may help them sleep at night, but brought nothing to the citizens they were sworn to serve.  Ul'dah, to its great misfortune, may be more seriously afflicted by this cancerous corruption than other cities, but it is a difference of magnitude not nature.

The city the fallen Sultansworn described was not Ul'dah, so much as the slice of the city in which political power was concentrated.  Traders, merchants, shopkeepers, legitimate and illegitimate, along with the officials and politicians entrusted with civic authority.  To those without gil such flowery rhetoric was not just fantasy, but absurdity.  The reality, as those who grow up on the streets of Ishgard, Ul'dah, or any other city cannot fail to learn, is that few things are worse than a corrupt official: criminals rarely pretend to protect, and even more rarely believe they are doing good for their victims.

Aya had made a mistake, it is true, she knew this.  She had been naive.  However, the question was not, "what?", but "who?", and now she knew the answer her peers had learned long before: never trust a Brass Blade.

[align=center]A Dancer's Fancy[/align]

Aya gazed into the mirror, one of the few real luxuries of her discounted room.  She posed playfully, putting on a smile and enjoying the sight.  Her jewelry jingled with the motion, joined by the sound of her light laughter.

It had been a lovely few days of rest: Momodi had given her a week of light duties that had bought her precious time to relax.  She hadn't left the city, but at least she had been able to enjoy her afternoons and evenings.  The days were filled with the simple pleasures of evening meals beneath the setting sun, and long walks along many of the city's still unfamiliar avenues.  Still, it was the time spent with her friends, the little shop and dance studio tucked away deep within Ul'dah's torturous alleys and neighborhoods that she enjoyed the most.  She had met so many people in her few months in Ul'dah, so many adventurers, soldiers, and traders that she could scarcely remember them all, but it was in the company of these friends that she always felt most at ease.  The dancers understood each other in a way that others simply could not: the wonders and pleasures of their art, and the struggles and difficulty that they encountered trying to make a living.  For them, the little studio was a true diamond in the rough, a getaway from the travails and pressures of the day-to-day.  Inside the small group of dancers, friends each, were left to their own devices.  To practice, to share, to enjoy.  It was work, indeed, but work where smiles and laughter could drown out frustration and fear.

Without moving, she imagined herself dressed in the silk veils and jewelry of an Ul'dahn dancer.  Hands held above her head, hips and shoulders moving rhythmically to the sound of the city's exotic music.  Decorated with the body jewelry she had come to adore, adding the sound of jingling chains and charms to the tune.  She had been known for the style in Ishgard, but what she had practiced was an adulteration of the true art.  Here she could learn from those who were formed and shaped by the dance itself.  It was something that had helped draw her to the dangerous city-in-the-sand, and now kept her there.  She grinned at the flight of fancy, moved by the adulation of an imaginary crowd.

She turned gracefully, hands to her hips, looking over her shoulder to see how she looked from the other side.  She grinned again, there would be no dancing tonight, but at least she would look good.  She gave her hips a little shake, and laughed once more.

The midday "music" began only with the sound of jewelry joined by the click of heels against stone that filled the hall, joined slowly by the rising din of merriment and good company as she drew closer to the main floor of the Quick Sand.  Her smile grew broader as she swayed her hips confidently, entering that playful saunter that seemed to serve her so well.  As she bounced down the steps, and into the Quick Sand, the eyes of patrons flicked up, and seeing the now familiar blonde barmaid, several of the customers hollered to her, while fresh smiles looked up to her from across the atrium.

She grinned happily as she walked, turning her head toward Momodi, and drawing her bangs back with her hand.  The two greeted one another with looks of mutual welcome and understanding.  From the tables, regular patrons were already calling her over, suddenly ready to be served.

It may not have been an audience, but at least it was not a flight of fancy.[/align]

[align=center]Prelude to Peril[/align]

She pushed the key into the lock.  The dank Limsan air caused it to stick.  She pushed a little more, hearing the decisive clunk as it slid fully into place. She was soaked to the bone.  White seemed such a wonderful Limsan color, and the little outfit had been perfect for a day of vacation and shopping, until an offshore wind brought its rain and chill.  The flush of wine was still upon her cheeks from the evenings festivities, but the expression in her features was that of uncharacteristic seriousness.

She turned the key, and opened the latch, pushing the door to C'kayah's flat open. 

"Perhaps he will be here..." she thought, hopefully.  

As the door swung slowly open, only darkness greeted her.  In the dim streetlight she lit the candle left willingly by the door.  "He's not here..." she thought, confirming what she had already known.

Still, as she moved slowly through the apartment lighting the oil lamps one-by-one she entered each room with a sense of hope, suffering repeated disappointment.  She had never seen him in this place, but it looked like him, and smelled of him, a scent now mingling with girlish fragrance of perfume and cosmetic from the spare bedroom which she had taken as her own for use during the short vacation.

She let out a deep sigh; rarely would the sight of a trusted friend have been more welcome.  A sense of deep loneliness came over her again, a helplessness against the tossing tides of life that she had found no easier to escape despite flight, after flight. 

"Why would anyone rely on me... I am just a barmaid?"  It was a question that had been repeated all evening.  Why indeed...

She knew what she wanted to do: go to ground, as any smart fox would.  She was already out of sight, the hounds were at bay.  Go to ground.  Save herself. 

She stood silently in the hallway outside of C'kayah's personal chambers, mind racing with thoughts of escape.  Her fingers knit together, working with a nervous energy as she gazed blankly at the floor.  "Go to ground..."

Her voice erupted spontaneously, and without effort, "OSRIC!" she cried, the walls of the chamber seeming first to reverberate, and then to rebel with the mention of their master's oft-time foe.  "Osric..." she repeated, more quietly, as she wondered why the Gods would allow Ul'dah's savior to be ripped from her at the height of the city's need.

"Crofte..."  She had overheard this on her link pearl, but at the time she refused to believe it, only now it could not be denied.

"Kiht..."

Her mind reeled with the thoughts of and fears for so many of her friends, left now tied to a miserable fate, their lives and everything that they loved imperiled.

She moved slowly into his office, her weight falling into his desk chair.  Her elbows fell to the desk, and her head into her hands.  In the near dark, out of sight, away from public eye, she found herself doing what she never allowed: she broke down.  Tears streamed down her cheeks, flowing and dripping relentlessly to the desk below.  The crying whimper of her voice was swallowed by the thick brick walls of Limsan construction. 

It seemed an eternity later when she found herself seated once more at the desk.  A sheet of paper before her: her purchase of writing supplies earlier in the day had perhaps been fortuitous, but the paper was a pink, frilly paper with lace edging.  It had been meant for lighthearted, and perhaps flirtatious letters to her friends once she had returned home.  For a moment she smirked, the upward curl of her lips providing a stark contrast to the cry-weary look of her eyes.  "Such a serious message for such frivolous carriage..." she thought to herself.

She set about writing the letter to C'kayah, using the elegant, flowing, and beautiful Ishgardian script that was the legacy of parents who in their foolishness believed it a skill necessary for a girl "of her rank".

When she finished she folded the letter carefully, and slipped it into an envelope just as feminine, affixing it with the heart-shaped seal that seemed so much more appropriate earlier in the day.

She nodded, with fragile resolve.  "I have to post this right away, maybe it will reach C'kayah before I can return to Ul'dah."

She picked herself up, grabbing a coat of his as she left for the door.  For now he would at least help her fend off the rain. She stepped back into the cold, wet, Limsan Dark.  High heels struck rough cobble stones, while rain pelted her from above.  Such a serious message; such frivolous carriage.

• 3 weeks later...

They always return to the scene of the crime.

The evening candles had burned down a fair degree; A complimentary reminder to the patrons of the Quicksand how much time had transpired since they began to swim in their cups. It was only a trio of colored waxen rings left before the sun would begin to crawl out of bed and for all of the ruckus raised on the well-worn floors, only a few of the most dedicated imbibers remained. There were a few early-risers as always, those who would toil before the first slice of daylight broke the walls, but the Quicksand was mostly silent save for the settling of glasses and the tinkling of silverware. Of course, there was also the sound of footfalls.

Warren was still wearing his clothes from the Grindstone and he again felt somehow wrong being near that pillar without an aldgoat's weight in steel covering him. That feeling was put out of mind when he noticed the blonde in the ponytail still working the shift.

"Morning, Miss Aya." He suffered a bashful smile and only glanced at her before letting his gaze settle on the bar as he took a seat opposite her. "Anything interesting happen tonight? I missed it. Grindstone and all."

Aya was wiping down freshly washed glasses, setting each carefully in its rack.  It was a late night, but Momodi needed the help, and the peace that seemed to settle over the place in the wee hours at least made the extra work easier to bear.

She lifted her gaze from one such glass, smiling softly, to the paladin.  Her smile became a bright grin as she recalled the last time she had seen him,  "And a good evening to you too, Ser Warren!"  The Ishgardian accent played so delightfully along the girl's voice, imparting a little dose of mystery upon every word.

"The Grindstone keeping you busy?  Well, you know how it goes here~ pirates, trouble-makers, and louts all night long!  No end of trouble!" She laughed softly while finishing drying off the glass, sliding it snugly onto the rack and into place against its fellows.  "Especially once the Grindstone lets out and the ruffians start to trickle in here."  She cants her head, peering at him with lips pulled into a pursing smirk, and a playfulness in her eyes, "You're not another ruffian now, are you?"

Warren played a shocked expression, gasping in mock offense. "Me, Aya? A ruffian? And here I'd thought I'd proven my goodness somehow."

He relented and smiled while peering over the counter at the neatly-lined bottles. After a moment he shook his head and turned back to the woman, still grinning like the coeurl that got the cream. "Hope it wasn't too much trouble. I usually hope there's someone here to cover for the place when I'm not around, but I seem to have lured off your most reliable knight on these evenings. I trust she got to bed alright."

He leaned against the countertop and folded his hands in front of him. There was a light in his eyes that seemed out of character for the usually-stoic paladin, but he had plenty reason to look as glad as he did.

Aya giggled softly, lifting her eyes again, delighted in a little play in the quiet of the Quick Sand's earliest hours.  "Oh she got to bed quite well, I think you know~"

She turned to the side as she moved to straighten a few of the bottles and glasses behind the bar.  "But you're right: what is a girl to do when her knights elope?" she flashes that grin once more, now in profile, "Not only that, but I hear that other knights are afraid to guard the pillar." Still grinning, and without moving, she turns her blue eyes, toward him, "Seems you two have a reputation of sorts."