Frost and Shadow [Completed]

Coatleque watched his expression as his shoulders rose and fell.

"You have done what you could with the information you had. Perhaps it is time we sought out more information then, before a new course can be set. I do not like to suggest it, but there is an Ishgardian Inspector here now. Perhaps we could find a way to bend his ear to our plight. Barring additional help, this trail is going cold, Warren."

She looked at him with a small amount of worry behind her eyes as she spoke his name.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren met her gaze and his own softened. His expression was a mix of guilt and weariness, and he nodded along as she softly supplied her support.

"...you're likely right. I should try and find this Inspector and at least explain myself. He was pretty straight about not wanting me to bug him, but..." He frowns again, turning his head to side slightly. "He'd understand, right? At least man to man?"

Warren set his jaw, looking away and nodding to himself again, agreeing with thoughts he kept internalized. "I appreciate your guidance on this, you know. I just need to find them. Sei, she probably won't give a damn, but Howl? He's my best friend. I need to get him home safely. You know?"

She could feel the anguish behind his words even if he did not want to show it.

"You must needs not explain yourself to me. You will see them both home safely, I have no doubt. As for this Inspector, if he is worthy of such title then he must understand."

She straightened herself and spoke with a more commanding voice.

"Steel yourself, Ser Castille. Find this Inspector and bidst him help you. I shall remain here and entreat Nymeia for her clarity in this course. Call when you are ready for me. Though if you tarry over long I shall be forced to come looking."

"Not will. Need."

Warren quietly objected as she spoke, eyes averting as she assumed the proper stature of command. He responded, his shoulders slipping back as he straightened in his chair and met her gaze head-on.

"Steel yourself, Ser Castille. Find this Inspector and bidst him help you. I shall remain here and entreat Nymeia for her clarity in this course. Call when you are ready for me. Though if you tarry over long I shall be forced to come looking."

Warren responded with the undertone of Ser Castille, the armored Free Paladin she was beseeching. "If he can help in any way, I will pry it from him. Keep yourself safe, and away if you can; I do not trust our arrival here has gone unnoticed, but I confess that might just be my nerves. The Inspector was quite clear when he and I spoke."

He collected himself and rose, wondering where to begin his line of questioning. A degree of diplomacy was required and he again regretted his choice to leave his armor and thereby station away. Before departing, he regarded Crofte with another look of concern.

"We are in the land of the Lover and the Fury. One or the other will hear my thoughts, though if the Weaver can plea to them for us I won't deny Her either." He offered a small smile before his face became a mask better suited for his plate armor.

"I won't have you worrying about me. I'll be in touch as I go." He returned to her a small nod and a bow and then was off, stepping into blinding daylight and bundling himself in his cloak as he went.

The Inspector had been a harder man to track down than Warren intended. At least a bell and perhaps two had passed by before he was able to get a firm lead and even that was due to his persistence and not any sort of lucky break. He wasn't surprised by this; He had only yesterday been caught sneaking into a secured building belonging to another nation and he had no doubts his name and description had been circulated. Still, he spared no detail of what his quest actually was and eventually a bleeding heart let slip where the Inspector could be found when he took his late-morning tea.

The wind whipped around him as he scaled the final set of steps to the bell's housing. Warren possessed no fear of heights but even he was leery of the dizzying altitude he was standing, and he didn't trust the ground to not slip away from him if he stepped away from the wall. He was sheltered from only from being seen; the open nature of the structure meant no heat from below survived to reach the "room" he was hiding in.

What kind of fool comes HERE for respite?

Warren kept his arms folded tightly across his chest and huddled for warmth. In the distance and visible through a haze of snow stood Ishgard. He wondered if the scenery was the reason. He didn't have to wait long before he heard footsteps coming up the heavy staircase beneath him.

Prauvaulient was alone and in his hands was a steaming cup of tea. He stared daggers at the highlander and a scowl stole across his face. Warren raised a hand in what he hoped was a peaceable expression, his expression soft and pleading.

"I need to speak with you, Inspector. It's not about the girl, but if you'll hear me out I think you'll understand why I did what I did. Please."

The inspector sighed, looking tiredly to his drink and then towards his nation.

"You are persistent, I will give you that. I will listen to you, and if I am not suitably moved I will either have you incarcerated for meddling in my business or I will have you executed for meddling in my business." He turned back to Warren and smiled politely, taking a sip from his drink with gloved pinky extended. "Choose your words wisely."

Warren didn't let the threat shake him. He'd had plenty of time to pick his argument and hoped he had made the best he could. He quickly ran down the series of events that had brought him to Coerthas, his searches in those initial, frenzied days, his exhaustion, his hopes and fears. He poured every bit of anguish he could feel into trying to change the Inspector's mind, to prove to the Ishgardian that he wasn't meddling in anyone's affairs but was looking for closure to his own.

It seemed to have some effect, as the elezen's demeanor went from icy indifference to captive audience. He reserved any thoughts or commentary for after Warren had finished, then looked towards the man with a measured grace.

"These two adventurers mean that much to you? If you are telling me the truth, you're nearly killing yourself to find them, hope against hope, after they've surely surrendered to the cold? You will not be deterred?"

Warren shook his head. "I will not. I will either find them, and get them back home, or I will spend my days looking until I've found them."

The wind picked up around them, Pravaulient's eyes staring fixedly on the hyur.

"If you will not be stopped, then I have no choice. In one sevenday's time I will be traveling in the direction you spoke of; Too far to go on your own but your likeliest bet if you are sure you would have found something by now. I will not wait for you, I will not look for you, I will not let you slow us down, but... If you truly intend on getting yourself killed in the wilds, I will take you there to die."

Warren glared back but nodded his head. "I can work with that. And I'll be here. If you're just trying to shake me loose, give me a false hope to get me out of your way, I will know it. I'll find you, and I will burn your country to the ground to get to you."

"Ser Castille," the elezen smiled at him cruelly. "If you had the ability to spread that much fire, you would not be freezing in the snow looking for corpses."

She returned promptly to her room once Warren had gone out. Draping her cloak over a post, she knelt by the side of the bed and closed her eyes. Taking a deep breath she began offering supplication to Nymeia, asking for clarity and direction in the coming days. The frigid north of Coerthas may be Halone's sphere, but the Spinner is the one who saw all Men's fates, past, present, and future.

She knew not how long she spent knelt there, but her dedication eventually had her drift off with her head in her arms.

----------

Coatleque walked... or was it glided? Moving slowly forward along the road. She was in the frozen wilds of Coerthas, but flanked by the tall trees of the Shroud. In the distance she saw the Jewel of the Desert rising above the horizon. She would soon be home.

But a shadowy figure was dogging her steps the entire way. It did not matter which way she turned, the figure was always there. She could not make out its details, but the more she stared at it the greater her sense of dread. It was hunting her.

She turned back towards Thanalan but was forced to halt when she found it standing right before her, blocking her path. The creature seemed to broaden and grow darker as if growing into some great obstacle to keep her from her goal.

And then a light from behind. Another Paladin, a Knight in shimmering white scales seemed to take her attention from what was in front of her. She strained herself to look around the obstacle, to fixate on this light. When it was clear she would not be able to see from the distance she finally resolved to push her way past the creature. The shimmering Knight spoke her name.

"Ser Crofte?..."

"Y-yes, W..."

----------

She awoke.

"Ser Crofte?"

The voice was real this time, she heard it plain as day in her ear. Warren was calling her over the linkpearl. She blinked and looked around, just now realizing she had drifted to sleep.

"Y-yes, Ser Castille! I am here! Apologies."

"I am returning to the Inn now. I believe I have found a new lead."

"Good... good. I shall meet you downstairs shortly."

He recognized that tone of voice; He had been using it merely a week prior. A pang of guilt crossed his face as he made his way back towards their meeting place. The was lounging lazily overhead, a clear yet freezing day. Warren was thankful there wasn't more snow for the time being.

He also felt relieved now that he had a plan in place. There was still the dilemma of what to do with himself for the next several days until things fell into place with Pravaulient, and he didn't trust the man any further than he could throw the elezen but he didn't have any other leads. He made a mental note to be sure he was equipped with a weapon before setting out.

Warren thoughts returned to his surroundings as he slipped back inside of their meeting grounds. He scanned the crowd, unsure if perhaps his colleague had fallen back asleep.

Coatleque stood up after speaking over the linkpearl and stretched. She had no idea what bell it was, nor how long she had drifted off for. Taking her cloak from the post once more she wrapped it around her neck and left to go meet Warren.

He as already there as she came down the stairs, so she hailed him from afar and quickly went to meet him. "Did you find our Inspector? Pray tell you have good news?"

Warren nodded as they took their now-usual seats in the secluded corner.

"I spoke with him. He's hardly a kind man, but he did agree to let me attend him next week when he and his travel in that direction. It isn't much to go on, but it's something, and I imagine Ishgard isn't going to spare expenses to make sure one of their own is seen safely to wherever his path takes him. Still..."

Warren rubbed a hand across his face. Even through his gloves he was aware that he was getting long in the beard. "Too easy? I know I'm acting paranoid, but something's off. Maybe? I can't tell." He looks momentarily distressed as the break seems to let the gates holding back all of his internalized stress spring free.

"Are you well? I'm sorry if yesterday took more out of you than I realized." He frowns at her, searching her face for weariness.

Other than the signs of recent sleep, her expression looked more at ease than it had for the past month. "I slept well, if that is what you are asking. Despite our exertions, I believe just being away from the city has done much for my nerves."

"I apologize again, I did not mean to drift off. But I swear I saw... no, no - it's nothing." She gives him a small smile.

"So then the Inspector has agreed to let you go with him? After the cold first impression you described to me, I do agree this change of heart is suspicious. It is more of a lead than you have had thus far. I would take him up on that offer. I know you will take care in this matter."

She seemed to think for a moment.

"And he does not leave for a full week. I would not be able to tarry here for that long. My desk is probably piled high with inquiries by now."

Warren continued to look her over as she spoke, but relented when she insisted she was sleeping well. His eyes grew concerned again when she began to speak of something she saw, but she stopped herself short and he wasn't going to press her.

He returned the smile and nodded along as she offered her take on the potential trip. "I don't trust him. But it's all I've got right now to go on. I've got about a week to get my supplies in order, make whatever arrangements I need to back home. I'm sorry if your superiors are upset with your impromptu trip away. I suggest we both return to Ul'dah."

His face clouded over again, his expression hardening. "This... This isn't giving up, right? Taking a few days to get everything straight. That's alright, isn't it?" Uncertainty was plain on his face.

"Of course not!"

She leaned forward and let her hand rest palm-up on the table between them.

"This is playing it smart, being prepared. You would not fling yourself at a dragon without first checking your armor. Do not throw yourself to the cold of Coerthas in the same way."

She looked away but kept her hand outstretched.

"My superiors knew I would be away for a short few days. I do not know if I can return with you at the next time, however. Please understand, I do want to. I said I would see this through with you, but..."

Warren's gaze slipped away in thought as she spoke. Her words made sense to him; Running headlong into the freeze would just get him killed. There was a gnawing at him that he tried to sweep aside.

"I feel I've already kept you away from your duty for too long. Ul'dah will need its champions and freezing in the snow is no place for one of them." He regarded her with a small smile of gratitude. "You've been a greater help than I could have hoped for, Coatleque. I'll pay that back somehow. You didn't need to offer anything but you did, and I appreciate you being here for me."

He paused, looking about their rest stop and surveying the few folks sharing the space, all kept in this meals or drinks. "You don't need to come back with me. I doubt the Inspector's going to want more than one person going with him, anyway. If the trip even happens, I mean. I won't waste your time if this turns out to be me being mocked and led astray."

"We should make arrangements to be back in Dragonhead before dark. We could still make it if we get a move on now."

She turned back to him and was about to say something, but then simply nodded.

"Yes, we should return before we are missed. I still have coin enough for the porter if you are in need, and I came with little else. I shall gather my things and be ready in no less than half a bell."

She rose and gave a slight bow before returning to her room. Once there she donned her armor once more with sword ready, and wrapped what little else she had into as small a parcel as possible. The Chocobo would probably not even feel its weight. Making sure the room was as close to how she originally found it, she left to meet him at the Porter.

Warren responded similarly and was largely without burden when it came time to leave. He had already paid the porter for the birds before the second paladin could arrive and felt no guilt in doing so; He owed her for the meals and companionship.

Don't lose sight. You know why you're here. You're just going to recuperate, you're going to gather what you need and you'll be back in Coerthas in a day or three.

He ran down the list of things to do when he returned to Ul'dah like a mantra, trying to convince himself that he wasn't leaving his friend to die in an endless winter by doing so.

The trail to Dragonhead was far more forgiving than anything either of them had faced in their trip. The sky was clear and the weather as fair as Coerthas could offer, and their time was as good as a traveler could hope for. A brief stop to rest their mounts was all the animals required and as the sun crept behind the mountains off in the distance, the warm glow of Dragonhead's aetheryte welcomed them.

Warren made sure to secure their chocobos with the porter and insured their fares were caught up on before the duo found themselves in the center of the encampment. The Aetheryte, and beyond that Ul'dah, waited atop the small set of stairs.

"I should check in on Victory again before I go. If you wanted to head back, I can follow up later. If he's well I'll likely be riding him back to Ul'dah. He doesn't take well to being thrown through the aether."

Leaving him to his task, she set about acquiring rooms for the night.

"What do you mean there are no rooms left?"

"I'm sorry, miss. They are mostly occupied what with our recent visitors."

The Knight grumbled. "Well, what do you have available then?"

"We have one room left, but it's not really for one person..."

"That will do, there are two of us staying."

"Very good, Ma'am. That will be four hundred gil please."

"Isn't that steep for a single night?"

"I did say it was not for one person..."

She dug through her gil purse and managed to scrape together enough coin. Unfortunately she now had nothing left for provisions. She turned then and went to stand at the door of the inn, feeling the need to look official once more. Speaking softly to her linkpearl, she said "Warren... apologies. There's a small problem with our lodging tonight."

FKmXiN1.png

The warm glow of the stables did little to drive the chill out of Warren's fingers. He furrowed his brow and pressed a finger to his ear harder, the free hand pinching the bridge of his nose. Beside him, Victory's demeanor dipped.

"Only one." He sighed as his eyes rose to the ceiling.

Menphina, your jokes are no longer funny.

He patted a hand to Victory's head, rubbing the bird and fluffing his feathers.

"Alright. We don't have a choice. I'll set up post by the door or something. Used to roughing it anyway; it'll beat a saddle."

Victory was recovered, and while Warren wasn't one to spare an expense to keep his friends in good health, he had underestimated the cost of Ishgardian hospitality. His own purse was running dry.

"I'll be back shortly. Dinner might be light, my apologies." He cut off the link and looked at Victory. The bird looked back with the affection a pet has for a master and Warren patted him again. "Typical."

"Roughing it indeed.", she said to herself as she surveyed the room. It was quite the opposite, and fitting for its price. There was only one bed however. Large as it was, there was no way the two of them...

"N-no...", she said once again speaking to herself after entertaining the idea.

There was a large desk at the far end of the room with a high-backed chair and thick cushions. At least it would be comfortable. It was either that or the floor.

She left her sword, empty purse, and cloak in the room then went to meet Warren downstairs again for dinner.

Warren looked disappointingly into his purse as he pulled most of the few remaining coins from it and paid for heaping helpings of warm soup and hot bread.

Next time you bring more. You're not spending it and if someone robs you, you can always make more.

Placing one dish in front of his counterpart and one before himself, he offered a small grin and a shrug. "It'll be hot, and stick to the ribs. It's, uh... Not exactly refined eating though. Sorry for that."

"We should be alright for breakfast tomorrow. And at least Victory'll be ready." He made small talk, ignoring the sixteen-tonze auroch in the inn.