How does large amounts of gil work when handing it over to someone

OttoVann

Im trying to figure out how Otto would pull a quarter million gil out of his pocket to hand to someone.

Obviously he would only carry so much cash on him in a day like any other person, but like are we talking high denomination coins, paper notes....how does this work really?

I cant imagine he walks around with a giant jingling sack of gil tied to his belt or something.

Im trying to figure out how Otto would pull a quarter million gil out of his pocket to hand to someone.

Obviously he would only carry so much cash on him in a day like any other person, but like are we talking high denomination coins, paper notes....how does this work really?

I can imagine he walks around with a giant jingling sack of gil tied to his belt or something.

Bank transfers. While there aren't any real financial institutions in Eorzea that we're aware of, there'd need to be some methods of tracking the giant gil piles folks have.

Conversely, Uncle Scrooge-style money bins that get loaded into carts and wheeled through the streets, a la armored vehicles.

Demoninations my friend!

Just like american currency is all dollars, gil is all gil. So perhaps you have a 1 gil coin. Or a 50 gil coin. Or a 1000 gil coin. We simplify!

Gil isn't a metal, it's a representation of value. So I think it's simple to imply that up to a certain extent you will have larger units to work with on a single coin.

At least, that is my thinking on it.

In my mind I see either the paper-cheque transfer route as Warren said, or the differing denominations as Whittledown said.

When you talk about gil in the millions, however, even large denominations would be hard to carry around. I doubt Otto would have a purse of twenty-five thousand 1000gil coins.

I'd say it works the same way it does in-game: denominations as seen with Allagan pieces, which iirc are still used by Eorzeans for trade.

Allagan tin piece = 25 gil

Allagan bronze piece = 100 gil

Allagan silver piece = 500 gil

Allagan gold piece = 2,500 gil

Allagan platinum piece = 10,000 gil

In my mind I see either the paper-cheque transfer route as Warren said, or the differing denominations as Whittledown said.

When you talk about gil in the millions, however, even large denominations would be hard to carry around. I doubt Otto would have a purse of twenty-five thousand 1000gil coins.

"You see, we used to think the size would denote the value. This didn't work out so great for our rich lalafellan friends."

He points at a manhole-sized coin with 100,000 scrawled on it.

Taking a page from history, I've used letters of credit and bills of exchange, drawn on a merchant bank and countersigned by various trustworthy parties, to explain large or consistent gil transfers. So, you might have a letter of credit issued by a powerful merchant in Ul'dah that guarantees the sum of, say, 250,000 gil, to be paid in installments based on certified invoices. The letter might be countersigned by a lieutenant of the Brass Blades, attesting the veracity of the parties, and by a member of the Ossuary, attesting to the existence and true valuation of the gil.

You could also try using items that have high worth but aren't common currency, Gems being a big one. A few million gil might not be easy to lug around in coins, but a small bag of rubies, or even diamonds probably fetches quite the price vs space.

I tend to use Freelances method though, a signed document authorizing the withdrawal of funds to be transferred to another individual or paid out to them signed by a witness with another copy kept on my own person in case anyone tries to validate.

Like most members have already said, you can use parchment as a sort of transfer method and just to repeat Olofantur's idea: The parchment/document would require a signature from the bank, yourself, and your receiver in some sort of meeting? A secured transfer with all of you as witness?

Now, if you want to talk physical transfer, perhaps an carriage drawn transportation surrounded by armed guards? This could also be made into a RP scene/event if you want? I'm just throwing out the idea.