Meetings in the Wastes [Closed]

"Not gonna help anything, kiddo." Thal reached out to snag her before she could get too far, though he barely held back a grimace at the situation. "Be happy to help you two with whatever, but right now I'm more concerned about the Amal'jaa that are either on our tail or planning an attack on an unsuspecting tribe right now."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Amal'jaa are not our concern. The girl is. I will not pay for your uncertainty and hesitance again Ulanan," the exposed skin along Cypress' arms began to crack as they did when her aether began to draw to the surface out of emotion or intent. It mattered not which right now, for it was probably a bit of both.

When Thal took hold of K'aijeen, she made a choking screech and kicked against him as though he were trying to pull her into a fire. She heard the Roegadyn's words and sensed the crackling power the woman began to draw on. She'd sensed that before. She'd sensed it when her body had been burned through, right before...

K'aijeen screamed and pried at Thal's grip. "She's going to kill me! She's going to kill me! I didn't do anything wrong!"

"I won't let her, kid." All humor dropped from Thal's voice and expression when he snapped, "You don't care about dozens of lives? Y'here that, right, Mister Amal'jaa-lover? We're trying to help prevent more people from dying, and all everyone cares about is the gods damned people who are already dead."

The screaming made Ulanan place a hand on each of her ears. She looked at Cypress, and then at Thal, with a disgusted frown. "Everyone's trying to play with people's guilt today, I see. Fine. Deal with this on your own, then!" she said in a tone that could be confused with shouting. She dropped her arms and turned away, walking towards the way they had come from. "I'm tired of helping."

Cypress's head briefly followed Ulanan's voice as it trailed behind her. She should have felt suffocated in this terrible desert with the heat rising within her, but this particular sort was almost comforting. Certainly far more familiar, flame formed at her hands, "Do you not know what this girl has done? I do not know how anyone may defend her."

K'ile watched the Lalafel walking away, his ear twitching. He wasn't sure if that Roegadyn could kill K'aijeen alone. She looked like she might be blind.

"I didn't do anything wrong! I haven't done anything!" K'aijeen struggled, her voice that of a child about to be punished for another child's wrongdoing. "I've never done anything at all! It wasn't me! I've never done anything!"

"You don't know if this is the same girl, Cypress." Ulanan bit, still walking away. "You are blind. I haven't taken a look at her. All you have is your own mind thinking you are completely right with no place for doubt."

She paused, scratching the bridge of her nose. "If you are sure it's her for any reason at all, I'd like to know."

"This trio matches what we were told in Drybone, Ulanan. Dead Miqo'te who still walk are not often found, except around that girl. And I smell death. I do not need to see to know." Cypress answered, "There is no such thing as a coincidence, your patron should tell you as mine does."

"Thalen?" Thal blinked in confusion for half a second. Still holding onto D'aijeen, Thal turned his glare on the Tia. "Guess this mess suits you just fine," he muttered and then louder, to Ulanan and Cypress, "You said you were looking for the Hipparion Tribe. You know any of 'em? Because those are the people I'm trying my hardest to save. Maybe that'll make you have some second thoughts?"

K'ile's reply to the Lalafel was brief, his brow dropping and his lips straightening into a line. "The man is dead."

K'aijeen stopped pressing so hard against Thal's grip for a moment, just staring at the grown and shivering, ready to bolt again at an instant's notice.

Making a face at Cypress's words, Thal chose instead to answer Ulanan with a shrug. "Sorry, that name doesn't ring a bell, but then nothing does, so that doesn't count for much. If he says it, then..." Twitching his ears back, he let out a rough huff of air through his mouth. "Ugh, this is just... Can we at least get some help for the gods damned Amal'jaa before anyone else decides to kill anyone here?!"

"You could be buying time." Ulanan said, spinning around to face him instead of facing K'ile. "If it's so urgent..." She paused and spun again. This time, she faced Cypress and her arms flailed.

"Wait, he's truly dead? And you are letting him leave without seeing if -he- is a voidsent?" she questioned.

K'ile lifted his voice. "Actually, what he's saying about the Amal'jaa is also true. But if you guys want to kill him, I'll take your help instead." He smirked and looked at Thal, his tail moving behind him. "See, I got it all figured out. The Lalafel probably knows better people anyway."

"Really?? Some supposed-brother you are," Thal groaned and the groan turned into a growl. "Augh you know what, fine! Give it your best shot." He pushed D'aijeen behind him and crouched very suddenly. "But you're gonna have to go through me before you can even think about getting the kid."

Something in Thal's gesture triggered K'aijeen's panic, and as soon as he pushed her behind him, she bolted away. She was a fleeing skeleton draped in a tattered shroud, thinking nothing about defense or any realistic escape. She just wanted to find a hole to jump in. Somewhere dark where no one would find her and burn her again.

"If this is how you will it, Thal..." Cypress steps forward, the foot left behind shifting so that it was perpendicular to its twin. The roegadyn did not hesitate now to send the mass of fire that she had formed in the direction of his voice. There was only so much that one could accomplish by incessant chatter. And there was no wrong in ending what should never have come back.

He had to trust that the kid had run far enough that she wasn't in the line of fire. The tension in Thal's muscles released with a snap of limbs as he dove at an angle towards Cypress, under and around the blast of fire. A tingling singed across the tops of his ears but he didn't let that concern him, instead keeping up his momentum to plow directly into the roegadyn with his much smaller but tightly muscled form. He sought to knock her over, bring her down to a more manageable level.

The lalafell continued watching quietly, giving various steps backwards to avoid any fire accidentaly turning her into a piece of coal. She reached for her book, attached to her belt with a little string, and opened it. Prevention, not just for the fire, but also in case voidsent appeared.

K'ile's ears stood on end as fire ripped away from the Roegadyn, scorching sand and air. That was something that he needed to learn to do, desperately. When Thal evaded it, K'ile's nostrils curled. "Charging a blind Roegadyn? Really?" K'ile stood up and hollered, "Look out! He's charging you straight!"

His tail whipped behind him. Then he looked at the Lalafel. "Your Roegadyn friend's going to get beat up! She's blind and he's undead."