Conflict Resolution [open]

Shas

Shas quietly walked through the door of her Company room, taking great care not to make any loud noises. Given how late it was in the evening she was certain that the other current occupant of the room was (or at least should have been) sound asleep. Taking a glance around the room as she entered she quickly noticed a sleeping form on the nearby couch. Quietly making her way over, she knelt down and carefully placed the palm of her hand on the cheek of a young girl in her mid-teens.

Shas sighed quietly as a smile formed on her face. "Well kiddo...your mum is definitely in some deep shite now...."

She went over to the back of the room and grabbed a blanket off of her bed. Making her way over she slowly and carefully placed the blanket over the young girl. She stood there silently, looking over the child and made her way back to the dining area of the room. As she made her way back she would end up grabbing a rather expensive looking bottle and a glass. Afterwards she exited the room and decided to enjoy a drink or two...or three in the basement lounge of the Free Company estate.

Shas looked around and noticed the emptiness of the rather large lounge area, figuring everyone else was sound asleep at that particular hour. Moving over to nowhere in particular she took a seat in one of the many empty chairs and set the bottle and glass down on the table in front of her. Leaning back in the chair, she removed the hat covering her head and proceeded to remove the top from the nearby bottle, containing what one would assume was alcohol.

Pouring a bit of the bottles contents into her glass until it was half full, she looked over it a moment before taking a decent size sip of it.

"Well...might as well get this started, aye?"

"I was beginning to think you had forgotten all about today there, old lady." Came a familiar sounding voice emanating directly behind Shas as she was leaning back in the chair. Shas then sighed and leaned her had back further to look at the source. She would see a young highlander girl with short blonde hair looking to be in her teens, not much older than the one currently sleeping soundly in Shas' room. The young girl looked over the top of the chair down at Shas shaking her head with a smirk on her face. "Well, better late than never I suppose. Time for our yearly trip down memory lane, huh Shar...err, Shas? Sorry...slip of the tongue."

The young girl would move over and take a seat on the table close to Shas. The smirk on her face grew a bit wider as she looked the bottle on the table and the glass in Shas' hand. "Bringing out the good stuff this year, huh? I'm flattered, Shas. So....lets get started shall we?"

Shas sighed again and downed the remainder of her glass before grabbing the bottle for a refill. She sat there and stared at the young girl sitting near her, looking over her features. At first glance the young girl would look to be a younger version of Shas, sharing the same different colors in her eyes as Shas. One sea green and the other sky blue. Shas took a pull from her glass before setting it down and replying to the younger girl.

"Ye know.....I really dinnae ken why ye even bother..."

The younger girl chuckled a bit and proceeded to shake her head at Shas. "Why I bother? You're joking...right? You're the one that keeps bringing me back year after year after year. And...lets be honest with ourselves here. You know exactly why. We both do...."

Sitting there not averting her gaze from the girl, Shas sat up forward and looked the younger girl straight in her eyes. "Aye...I s'ppose tha' I do, huh? Kinda fitting it be today o' all days."

The young girl raised an eyebrow and tilted her head slightly looking over Shas with an inquisitive look on her face. "Oh my....sounds like you've had a rough day. Why don't you tell good old Sharla all about it? The girl replied before snapping her fingers and motioning to her self. "Oh...wait. You don't really need to do you? I already know...."

Shas closed her eyes before picking up her glass and swirling the contents around a bit. "Then wha' exactly is there tae talk about then? Hmmm? About how my demon-possessed void-touched lover apparently trusts someone over me? After everything I've done fer her...everything I'm still bloody doin' fer her now.  Or maybe how one o' my former colleagues is in danger an' one o' those causes is said lover? Or jus' maybe...about how another fellow Sworn is involved with a bloody Monetarist tha' damn sure doesn't deserve her?" 

The younger girl sits there with a smile on her face and shakes her head again. "Oh..Shas, Shas, Shas....what are we going to do with you? So...that's what this is all about huh? Scarlet, Romy, and......Crofte? Come on...who else? No wait...you don't have to tell me. Like I said, I already know everything."

Shas shifts a bit uncomfortably in her seat and takes a pull from her glass before laying head back with a heavy sigh. "This is gonna be a long bloody night."

Blargh, meant to put this down before the actual long wall of text. My first attempt at posting a story in the Town Square. Pretty much details the events of what happened after the end of the Grindstone when Shas payed a visit to the NC Free Company. Any suggestions or critiques are more than welcome. :D

The younger blonde girl strolls around the basement lounge while Shas continues to sip from her glass occasionally. After a few moments the blonde speaks up.

"Ya know...this is actually a pretty nice place here. Not a bad life you've made for yourself. I mean, it's no where near the lifestyle we had back in the good old days...but definitely not bad."

Shas notices her glass getting empty and goes to refill it before replying back to the younger girl. 

"Yeah....an' we both know exactly how well tha' turned out fer us in th' end. It's not like th' old days in Ala Mhigo are gonna be comin' back anytime soon...or at all fer tha' matter." 

The younger girl scoffs and shakes her head making her way back over to Shas.

"Oh come on...we had it pretty damn good back then. Better than it could ever possibly be in...this place." A small grin begins to form on the girls face before leaning to look Shas directly in the eyes. "And what we did with that noble family we married into? Wow..a true work of art if I do say so myself. Nothing quite like the satisfaction of outwitting and manipulating your opponents. And to do it so quickly and efficiently....hmmmm.....yeah, those were good times."

Shas leaned back in her chair after refilling her glass. She closed her eyes wondering to herself if she was either drinking too much or not enough that night. Either way she would most likely continue drinking. As she looked back to the young girl a frown formed on her face.

"Don't...just..don't even go there. Once again, we both know how tha' turned out. Fer all th' plannin' an' preparation....it meant absolutely nothin' in th' end."

Just as Shas had finished speaking to the younger girl another familiar voice appeared. Shas would roll her eyes and look towards the source of the new voice and would see a slightly older version of the young girl she was speaking to before. This one would appear to be around twenty or so wearing the uniform of a Sultansworn Squire and apparently pregnant as well.

"My gods...how long have you been listening to this psychotic little witch? Sorry I wasn't here sooner but.....you kinda get slowed down a bit with this." The uniformed woman would say with a smile pointing to her belly.

The younger girl would scoff at the woman with an annoyed expression on her face.

"Hey, who are you calling a witch? You kiss our mother with that mouth?"

The slightly older blonde rolled her eyes and made her way next to Shas, grabbing a chair along the way and taking a seat next to her. She looked Shas up and down slowly with a warm smile forming across her face.

"I guess this goes without saying but....you've had quite an interesting year, haven't you?"

Shas sighed heavily downing her drink in one gulp and setting it down. At that point she looked between the young blonde girl and the pregnant woman wondering if the alcohol was getting to her or if she had completely lost her mind. Shaking her head she forwarded her gaze towards the pregnant woman, having grown tired of listening to the much younger girl in the lounge.

"I s'ppose ye could say tha'. I dinnae ken where tae begin on...where I went wrong. How I got to this point. No...I know exactly where I went wrong...exactly wha' happened tae get to this point."

Holding up an empty glass in her hand, Shas reached forward for the bottle for another refill. At this point she wasn't really sure how much she had. One thing for sure was that she didn't plan on stopping anytime soon.

"Why even bloody bother? I never should 'ave left...simple as tha'. I thought I lost everything....but instead I damn near threw wha' good I had left in my life away m'self."

Shaking her head a bit, Shas looks at the younger girl before rolling her eyes and looking back to the pregnant woman. She took a moment to glance at the woman's belly before frowning and taking a sip of her drink.

"That's th' only good I ever did in my life. An' I almost lost her forever....an' fer wha'? I'll tell ye...absolutely nothin'. There..I admitted it. Ye bloody happy now? I gave in tae my true nature an' did exactly wha' I was raised an' trained tae do."

The pregnant woman frowns slowly shaking her head while turning her gaze towards the ground. She looks back up to Shas and remains silent for a moment before responding.

"Tell me....what good did it do then, hmmm? What did you gain from it? Did it give back everything that was lost? Our mother, our brothers and sister? Our homeland....our name even?"

Shas sits back in her chair and simply shakes her head offering only a silent response. The younger girl walks back over to the two with a sly grin on her face and leans against the chair Shas was currently occupying and looks down at her.

"Well...what do you know? As usual, it always comes back to me. Right back to this point, this defining moment that changed everything."

"I'm clearly how you're going to end up back up eventually." The younger girl says to Shas as she looks over to the pregnant woman and smirks. The pregnant woman just rolls her eyes and starts shaking her head slowly. The younger girl chuckles a bit and motions her head towards the pregnant woman.

"See, she doesn't like it when I say that. Let me ask you something, both of you actually. Which one of us survived the fall, hmmm? Who was it that survived an assassination attempt at nine years old and made an example of the would be assailant? Which one of us survived Cartenau, or that bloody mess up in Coerthas last year? Mmhmm, yeah...that's what I thought. It sure as hells wasn't a naive pregnant woman, or some high and mighty Paladin pretending to be someone and something they're not. It was me...it's always been me, it always will be...."

Shas then looks to the younger girl taking a moment to break out of her silence and shakes her head. She took a moment to look over the girl and young woman before her and starts laughing softly as she began to pour herself a refill of her drink.

"Ya know...I cannae say tha' yer wrong. Yer absolutely right. But, let me ask ye this. How long would tha' girl 'ave survived livin' in th' refugee camps th' way she was? How long would she have livin' in this place at all? I tell ye wha'.....I'm more than satisfied with th' way things turned. I'm more than happy bein' right where I am right now, right where I need tae be."

The young girl frowns and slinks down into her own seat seat pouting, while the pregnant woman leans back into hers with a smile forming across her face as she looks at the younger girl.

"Hmmm, that's what I thought. You see...it's not always about you....."

• 8 months later...

An armored figure stands overlooking a lake somewhere in the Shroud, seemingly unaware of a familiar presence approaching her from behind. “Wha’ th’ hells do ye want now?” The armored woman speaks first without bothering to look behind her.

A shorter woman, appearing to be in her late teens, continues to approach the armored woman with a smirk forming across her face. “My, my, my...been a while, hasn’t it Shas? Oh...right, Sharla now...how could I forget?  Looks like you’ve been keeping yourself occupied these past few moons. I was wondering when we would get the chance to...chat again. Our last one was cut a bit short....” The younger woman moves to stand beside Sharla and crosses her arms as she fixes her gaze over the lake. She takes note of their reflection coming off of the clear water. “Well, would you look at that? Like taking a glimpse into the past and future for us, huh?”

Sharla removes her turban, revealing the red marks under her sky blue and sea green eyes. She rolled her eyes as her gaze slowly move towards the reflection coming off of the water. “Right..I’m bloody thrilled tae be reminded yet again o’ those days….” She suddenly blinked as her head quickly turned towards her younger counterpart. “Wait..why th’ hells are ye even here for anyway?!”

The younger woman grimaces and shudders as Sharla begins addressing her. “Gods! I hate hearing that horrendous, damnable accent! Just what in the Twelve’s name possessed you to start speaking like that again?!” She quickly shakes her head and rubs the side of her temple. “And for your information, you know damn well that I wouldn’t be here if you didn’t want me around. So...next question.”  She tilts her head slightly and peers up at Sharla, carefully scrutinizing the red marks under her eyes. “Oh my...now this is new. You have been quite busy, haven’t you?”

Sharla sighs and shakes her head as she crosses her arms, not bothering to look at the younger woman. “Not sure wha’ ye be gettin’ at here. Ye already know wha’ I know. Besides...it’s only temporary, an’ it’s fully under control..”

A chortle is heard from the young woman, as she gives Sharla an amused look. “Wow! Could you possibly be even more full of yourself? Under control...like with Lania? The Forelands...when you got dragged along looking for that foolish little boy in the Vigil? How close did you come to losing control those times?” She scoffs and shakes her head as she looks back over the lake. “All this because of that damned Elezen woman, and you even let her take your child with her! You used to be smarter than this. You know it’s only a matter of time, right?” She lets out a soft sigh and moves to sit on the ground closer to the lake. “Don’t even get me started on what you’ve been doing up north the past few moons, and here you are..now following that girl around yet again. The old man always said it would be a woman that would be the death of you, or...us? And a redhead at that too...you already know how much more trouble this is going to turn into, how this is all going to end, right? Whatever...what do I know? Not like you’ve ever listened to me before…”

After some time searching the North Shroud, Sharla had made her way back to Fallgourd Float to speak with her contact. Her own search had turned up nothing so far, just as she suspected and she had little doubt that her contact’s efforts produced any more. After making her own report with her contact she had then decided to continue her search in Gridania, in the hope that some manner of clues or hints would turn up at the very least.

Making her way to the stable master to retrieve her chocobo, Sharla turned her head slightly and frowned. “You’re still here? I thought ye would have gotten bored by now…” She went back to tending her Chocobo, leading it from the stables as she brushed by the figure that had approached her from behind.

“And here I was thinking you’d be happy that I decided to stick around. I mean...I don’t really have much of a choice in that matter, but you already know that. Besides, you know you enjoy my company.” The response came came rather snidely from a shorter woman, with similar eyes to Sharla, sharing similar facial features, with a blonde ponytail. She sighed rather heavily as she began to follow Sharla’s departure. “Oh come on, don’t be like that! Are you seriously still trying to find that girl? It’s been a couple of weeks now. Chances are she’s either dead, or simply doesn’t want to be found...and you’ll end up the same way if you keep doing the same way you are now. Or worse…”

Sharla stopped for a moment as she led her chocobo from Fallgourd Float by the reigns. Taking  the time to don her turban, concealing her eyes, she looked up to the bird as a slight smile formed on her face. “Come on, Gaheris...let’s get this over with.” The only response she received from her steed was in the form of a gentle nuzzle of it’s beak on the back of her turban. “Easy boy, easy...we’ll be back home before ye know it.” She tugged lightly on the reigns, motioning her steed to follow.

“One of these days you’ll listen to me...just hope it’s not too late by then.” The younger woman quickened her steps to catch up to Sharla. “You’re really going to keep going the way you are now, huh? I can tell you’re having doubts about what you’re doing. You can make things so much easier for yourself. I know you’re thinking about it...why else would you keep me around for?” She looked up at Sharla as smirk formed on her face.

“Maybe it’s not my place to get involved any further, I just hope I’m doin’ th’ right thing. An’ as fer as you! Yer jus’ a bad memory tha’ won’t go away. Either tha’ or I truly have lost my mind...or th’ result o’ my drinkin’ last night. Either way...yer not worth listenin’ to. I’ve got better things tae do than go insane, listenin’ to yer damned babblin’! Jus’ bloody...go..away…”

The shorter woman just shrugged, with a smug grin on her face as she faced towards the road ahead of them. “Can’t, I’m stuck in here…” She briefly looked to Sharla as she pointed a finger at her head. “Besides...deep down, you really don’t want me gone...do you?”

Sharla stopped at that comment, and took a moment to gaze at her left hand. A brief flash of violet came from the gem that was embedded in her hand. She turned back to the younger woman and removed her turban, revealing blood-red colored eyes before they reverted back to their normal coloring. “That’s not all I’m stuck with…” Sharla turned, continuing down the path with her chocobo in tow.

“Mmhmm, just as I thought. Yet...here you are, still getting yourself involved. What if you aren’t doing the right thing? Are you prepared to fail...to lose everything again?” She scoffs and rolls her eyes, averting her gaze from Sharla. “Now I’m beginning to wonder why I even bother! Well...at least you’re finally starting to acknowledge my presence, so that’s a start…” The younger girl let out a soft sigh while shaking her head. “So...Gridania, huh? Not sure if that’s really a good idea with your recent...activities. I mean, what exactly do you expect to learn or even find there? Like I said already, she’s either dead or just doesn’t want to be found.”

Sharla remained silent as she merely turned her head to glare at the younger woman as her eyes flashed red once more. She turned shortly after, placing her turban back on and continuing on the road to Gridania, yet her eyes did not revert back to normal.

“And are you seriously going to go there like that? Gods,it's just bad decision after bad decision with you! First chasing after that damned Elezen who’s nearly killed you or nearly gotten you killed how many times now?! And you’re still stuck on her! Then there’s that foolish girl who’s just as bad if not worse at making stupid decisions and choices as you are, who might as well be dead for all you know, yet you’re still going to waste your time trying to find her! And let's not forget your little ‘gift’ Lilith left stuck inside of you...how long do you think you’re going to last like this? A scoff came from the younger woman as she simply shook her head while continuing walking alongside Sharla. “Whatever...one of these days you’re going to realize you should probably take a little bit of my advice...or not…”

Snaps her head to the younger woman and hisses slightly. “I said before, I can keep it under control!” Sighs and shakes her head. “Dead or not...doesn’t matter, I still have to try. I need to know for m’self wha’ happened, whether or not I can do anything about it.” Suddenly stops and turns, fixing her gaze on her ‘traveling companion’. “WHY are ye even still here!? I thought you were getting bored?”

A smirk formed across the girl's face as she simply shrugged. “Hey...your guess is as good mine. Maybe you should be asking yourself that question, hmm? Anyway...I still think this is a  bad idea. I mean, seriously...it’s Gridania! And what are you gonna do if you run into Lilith there again? She really didn’t seem too happy when you said you were going back up north…” She sighs and flails her arms in the air. “You’re not even listening to me…”

“Ye make it sound like it would be a bad thing if I did.  I know she’s angry with me, I cannae blame her. But she understands wha’ I do is important, she has to...least I hope she does.  I have tae make it up to her somehow, an’ Jocea as well…” Sharla groans and rubs the bridge of her nose, before leading the chocobo to a nearby stream. Gaheris had taken to frolic briefly in fresh water of the stream before lowering his beak to drink from it. Sharla knelt down in front of the stream and look to the chocobo with a warm smile on her face, before removing her turban and gazing down into the water herself. Her smile had turned into a slight frown as he noticed her eyes had remained the same color as before. With a quick shake of her head she removed her gauntlets and cupped her hands together as she placed them into the cool water of the stream, scooping up a handful to splash onto her face and another to drink for herself. After taking in the fresh water, she let out a soft sigh and glanced at the gem in her left hand, rubbing it with her thumb lightly. 

After a few moments, she moved to retrieve Gaheris and led him from the stream by his reigns. “Come on...let’s keep goin’. Sooner we get this over with the better…” She spoke softly but seemed as if she was speaking either to Gaheris or her annoying traveling companion. Hours had passed and the sun had begun to set as Sharla caught a glimpse of the outskirts of Old Gridania in her sight. She took a moment to place her turban back on, concealing her eyes as she continued on her trek towards the city. “Well...here goes nothin’.”

Yet more dead ends. Dead ends after dead ends. If Sharla was going by information she had garnered in Gridania, Coatleque Crofte simply did not exist any more. Days of asking question after question in the city had resulted in absolutely nothing.

“Well..tha’ was...a complete waste o’ my time. Even those three had had bloody nothin’! Useless! Fuckin’ children, stumblin’ an’ trippin’ over there own godsdamned feet.” Sharla simply shook her head as Brynallia had passed by her after meeting with Grimsong and her Lallafel companion. She had thought to step in and speak her mind, but decided it would have been a lost cause. With a soft sigh, she donned her turban and departed the area. She had continued making her past the Adder’s when she groaned and grabbed the side of her head suddenly. After a brief recovery she widened her eyes and frantically looked around the immediate area. “W-wha’ th’ hells was tha’? It felt like, no..couldn’t be.”

Sharla’s younger traveling companion blinked at her display and gave her a confused look. She took a moment to glance around before settling her gaze back onto Sharla. “Uh...you okay? What the hells was that just there? You’ve really been acting weird since we got to this place.”

Sharla shook her head as she took a moment to regain her senses, moving further past the Adders Nest in the search for the source of her momentary discomfort. “Ye really didn’t feel tha’? It..it felt like her, but it couldn’t have been. I can’t see her anywhere around here…”

The younger girl tilted her head slightly before she blinked and frowned, looking up to Sharla. “Her...I don’t get it, what the fuck are you talking about? Oh you’ve got to be kidding me! Her! I keep telling you this is a mistake, you need to...don’t! Where are you going?! Oh come on!” The younger girl raced to catch up to Sharla as she brushed her off making her way near the Roost. “Of all the stupid, idiotic...Ugh! Why do you never listen to me?!”

Sharla continued to ignore the girl as she continued her search. She made her way to the Roost and scanned the area, still unsure of who or what she was trying to find. After a few moments she let out a dejected sigh and slumped her shoulders as she made her way to the cliff outside looking over the lake. She removed the shield from her back and tossed it and her blade aside as she tossed them aside and moved to take a seat overlooking the lake. “Guess it wasn’t her then, I could ‘ave sworn tha’ I felt her here. Was she..tryin’ tae avoid me? No...she wouldn’t do tha’, not Lilith...would she? I must be imagining things again…like you…”

“Hahaha! Oh Sharla...you know things would be a lot less fun for you without me around. And...maybe it was her, maybe it wasn’t. You do remember what she said last time you were here right? You really are better off just letting it go. Only a matter of time before she goes back to her old ways and betrays you…” A smirk formed across the young girl's face as she moved, standing over Sharla and crossing her arms. “So...what now? Those losers obviously didn’t have anything useful that you could have used. Even the meathead and the junkie have been more useful so far, and that’s not really saying a lot.”

“I don’t fuckin’  know, alright! I jus’..don’t know. I need tae find something soon, anything dammit! I cannae go back without her, dead or alive. I owe her tha’ much.” Sharla sighed and shook her head only briefly glancing up at the younger girl after snapping at her. “Gonna be a lot o’ questions on why we’ve been up north for so long. If our superiors knew th’ whole truth...well, we’re both pretty much done for…”

• 2 weeks later...

Days of continuing her search in Gridania and the Shroud continued to show the same result in. No sign, no trace, nothing...just more dead ends, one after another. Growing more frustrated each passing day, she decided to return to Coerthas to continue her search.

Sharla made her way back to Coerthas to gather additional equipment and gear she left behind before leaving for Gridania. Upon entering the gates of the Observatorium, she took notice of a feminine armored figure sitting atop one of the snow covered buildings. With the full mask covering her face, she couldn’t tell if the person was sleeping or otherwise, yet she had a strange feeling inside of her as she kept her gaze on the woman before making her way to the inn. “I’m losin’ my mind in this place…” She shook her head as she led her chocobo to the steps of the inn, tying him to a nearby post before making her way up the steps.

Sharla had exited the inn and made her way down the steps to retrieve Gaheris as the armored woman she notice before suddenly spoke with a slow and measured voice. It seemed to rasp and hiss, yet was strangely familiar in an odd way. “A mind is a terrible thing to lose.”

Sharla glanced up at the woman and narrowed her eyes. “Aye...it is. Feels like I’m losin’ far worse than jus’ my mind though…” The armored woman spoke again to Sharla. “Trust in the Fury and she will guide you to what you seek.” At that moment another familiar voice spoke as Sharla kept her gaze on the armored woman who was still sitting atop of the building.  “Hmmm, now you’re starting to attract weird and armored, masked freaks on top of voidlings now, huh? Is now a bad time to say I’m getting a bad feeling about this one?” Sharla let out a pained groan and rubbed the side of her head as her eyes briefly flashed violet. “Ugh! Not now…”

A bitter laugh came from the armored woman as Sharla was still trying to collect herself. “Not...now? As if we can chose when Her judgement is passed down.” Sharla merely shook her head, looking back up to the woman. “Th’ Fury huh? Maybe I’ll get lucky an’ she’ll guide me then…”

“She always does.” Came the short reply from the armored woman.

Sharla sighed and rolled her eyes, looking between her annoying traveling companion and the armored woman. “Oh wha’ th’ hells, I s’ppose listenin’ to another voice in my head wouldn’t hurt…”

“Merely listening is for the faithless. The ones who do not understand. Those who seek truth do not fear to speak back.” The armored figure spoke once more, in the same raspy and hissing voice that rang a faint familiarity in the back of Sharla’s mind.

Sharla responded as she cocked her head to the side, keeping her gaze on the armored woman. “Tell me...has th’ Fury guided you to wha’ you seek yet?” She scowled and briefly glanced to her right, glaring as if someone else was there.

The armored woman lowered her gaze slowly, causing the loose snow to fall. She seemed unfazed by it just the same. “She has more for me than you could ever know.” She stared straight at Sharla until a hand was raised to her chest as if something pained her greatly.

“Huh...I see then. An’ wha’ she’s done fer ye...is tha’ wha’ ye truly wanted?”

The woman recovered nearly as quickly as it had set on, resuming her posture. “Do we ever have our own say in such matters? You, however...you...seek something. Someone…”

Sharla began laughing softly and shook her head. “Cannae remember th’ last time I had my own say on many things. Someone...tha’ obvious, huh? I guess ye could say tha’ I am, several someones in fact…”

The armored woman leveled her gaze forward once more and spoke. “One of them is no more.”

Sharla narrowed her eyes slightly again and tilted her head to the side. “Is tha’ so? Ye seem tae be pretty sure on tha’ one…” She took a moment to check the reigns on Gaheris before looking back up to the other woman. “I once thought m’self someone was no more as well...tha’ was over twenty summers ago. Funny how things turn out differently than wha’ we expect, isn’t it?”

“The truth need only be spoken. It defends itself against all doubt, Doubts that you have no reason to believe.”

“Hmmm, let’s say this…/someone/ I seek, truly is no more. It changes nothing...I still need tae see for m’self…” Sharla spoke taking her gaze off of the woman as she looked to her chocobo and began to pet it lightly on the head.

The armored woman seemed to be content with such an answer, though who could tell through that mask. “Seek the Fury’s Gaze to sate your curiosity. See for yourself and put your heart at ease, for her suffering at last as ended.”

“...Fury’s Gaze, right...guess it’s not too far out o’ my way then.” Sharla gazed up at the woman, giving her a curious glance. She smirked and shook her head as her eyes flashed violet once more.  “Her...how th’...never mind. Right....s’ppose we’ll be seein’ ye around then…”

Upon entering the cavern leading to the Fury’s Gaze, Sharla carefully glanced around her surroundings and let out a soft sigh. Just as she had expected, completely empty and little to no sign of anyone even being here, let alone Crofte. “Don’t….jus’ bloody don’t. Another dead end…”

“Told you there wasn’t something right about that woman, didn’t I? Pretty sure I did...so what now?” Sharla’s traveling companion spoke as she placed her hands on her hips.

“Don’t know...I have no clue now. You know what, jus’ shut up already! Huh...th’ hells is tha’ over there?” Sharla snapped at the younger girl before she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. A dark red object sitting in the middle of a small pool of water, and what seemed to be tracks leading to it as well, as if something...or someone had been dragged to it or from it. “Well...wha’ do we have here?”

Sharla moved closer to the water, getting a better look at the object she had taken note of earlier, sitting in the middle. She examined the object further and noticed that it appeared to be a blob of coagulated blood. She shook her head, and became even more confused than she was before. “Th’ hells did this come from? An’ what does it have tae do with her? This couldn’t be hers...could it?” Sharla look back to her younger companion, who just shrugged as Sharla have her a questioning look. “Right...time to get some answers then.”

Sharla had decided to stay around the area a bit more to continue her search. After a few bells of searching in and around the cavern, she had decided to return to the Observatorium. A familiar, armored figured was seen in the Observatorium tavern,  standing away from the fire, in the shadows by the door. Sharla briefly glanced at the woman, carefully looking her over up and down before she moved over the the fire herself. She let out a soft sigh, and removed the blade from her back, placing on the wall beside the fireplace. “So...wha’ exactly was I s’pposed tae find there?”

The armored woman merely remained standing in the shadows, the blade on her back looking as if it was melting in the ‘warmer’ bar room, water slowly trickling down the bluish steel and pats steadily onto the stonework. “Beyond your own fait? Comfort. Proof.”

“An empty cave, a blob of coagulated blood? Well damn, guess I should jus’ pack up an’ go home, right? Mission accomplished!” Sharla let out a short chuckle while shaking her head.

The armored woman may have smirked a bit as before responding, but who could tell? “You only see what you wish to.”

“Hmm, maybe so. Though, if I see wha’ I wish tae see...I probably wouldn’t be here right now...would I?” Sharlo spoke, not even bothering to look back at the other woman, as she rubbed her hands together closer to the fire

“She places you exactly where She wants you.” A quiet hiss came from the dark armored woman. “You have seen proof now with your own eyes. Believe either it...or the words you are told. The choice is yours.”

“Ah...I get a choice now. “Well isn’t tha’ nice? Okay...say I do believe wha’ I saw, was told...whatever. I still need to know wha’ happened, how it happened...why it happened…”

A growl came from the armored woman, or perhaps it was a groan. Low and pained. “I have no further answers for you. A mystery to us both, it seems. I am told she trusted poorly.”

“Yeah...I figured as much. Since I have choice an’ all...maybe I’ll stick around fer a bit, try an’ understand this a little better.” Sharla spoke rather sarcastically as she kept her gaze on the fire, taking in it’s warmth. “Hmmm, perhaps she did choose poorly.” She began to speak softly as she lowered her head, shaking it slightly.

“I know nothing, myself. She has shown me your face, though, as if through a dream. As I should know you. Your loyalty to your friend is commendable. Perhaps Halone will look favourably upon your quest. Or perhaps She will lead us all to our fated ends.” The armored woman's gaze turned slowly towards the door.

Sharla sighed and briefly glanced behind her before turning back to the fire. “Hmmm, perhaps I’ll receive Her blessings in th’ comin’ days. If not for me...then at least for her. Hmph, fated ends..ye make it sound like th’ end has already been written for us all.”

The armored woman’s gaze turns back to the woman across the room, with no other movement. “Aaah. I see. You...care for her.” Her voice is just as wraith-like as it has been a day ago. Her head slowly turns to watch the newcomers. The sword slung behind her has been slowly dripping water as if melting to form a small puddle now upon the stone.

“Why does everyone keep...okay, I guess I do then. Doesn’t change anything, I still have to do this. I can only hope tha’ she or others would have done th’ same for me…” Sharla sighed and shook her head as she gently rubbed over the scar on her left shoulder.

“Good. Good. Yes, deny such thoughts. Push them away, for they are all foolish, idle fancies. Immaterial. Meaningless, all of them.” The armored woman continued keeping her gaze on Sharla. “The end..perhaps not well. Though I think it went even worse for your friend. The end of all love can only be heartache.”

“Heartache...yes, tha’ I cannae deny. But...isn’t it worth it? Even through the pain and struggle.” She turned her head to glance back at the armored woman. “An’ even if it’s only for a fleetin’ moment, I’d like to think it’s worth th’ effort..

“Pain only serves to remind you that you are still alive. To willing cause such is foolish.” The woman takes one step towards the door. As her dress crosses the puddle below her, the edges of it instantly frost over like dew on winter grass.

“Hmmm, true...it can also be a reminder to avoid doin’ th’ things tha’ cause it...or adapting to it.” Sharla turned back and and shrugged at the armored woman. “Oh well...I think I can manage bein’ a little foolish fer a wee bit longer then…”

The armored woman laughs mirthlessly at that. “Even a dog learns not to stick it’s nose where it hurts twice. Continue your searching then, Knight of the South. But remember, you are in Her realm now.

“Maybe I’ll learn m’self one o’ these days, or get killed in th’ process. Her realm, huh? S’ppose I’ll be needin’ tae stay on my best behavior then.” Sharla sighed as she slowly stood up and retrieved her blade, remaining near the warmth of the fire. The armored knight opened the door to exit the tavern. As she did, a cold draft wafts in. But who knows if it was from the outside, or that which her own dress had left behind.

Sharla once more ventured out to central and western highlands of Coerthas in her search. Each passing day she grew more and more frustrated. No clues, no sign, nothing she had come across so far gave her any idea of what happened to Crofte. Only the words of the dark armored woman rang in the back of her mind. She once more made her way back to the Observatorium to gather her thoughts and rest after days of another fruitless search.

“Ya know...and this is just my opinion, but...maybe this might be a lost cause? Possibly? I mean...it’s been how long now?” A familiar, younger sounding voice spoke to Sharla as she walked through the gates of the Observatorium. “Oh hells...you’re not even listening to me. One of these days, you will. Or...you’re going to get yourself into an even bigger mess you can’t find your way out of, and I’m going to be there to say I told you so.”

“Quiet...I need to find that bitch again. Something’s not right about this, none of this makes any sense at all.” Sharla spoke softly, walking through the gates. She came to a stop and looked around the immediate area before walking towards the tavern. “There’s something I’m missing...how does she know so much? Well...funny still seein’ ye around this place…” She immediately noticed the armored woman and narrowed her eyes at her.

The armored woman’s blade once again looks as if it is melting in the heat of the room. Condensation beads upon the blue steel and trickles down to pat upon the stone. “We must all eat, must we not?” She slowly looked to another pair of patrons in the tavern, before looking back to Sharla.

“Right...I s’ppose we do, huh?” A deep sigh came from Sharla as she seemed to relax herself slightly. “Maybe if ye got time, ye can talk an’ eat at th’ same time…”

“My time ends when the Fury considers my debt paid. What words would you have with one such as I?”

“Oh, good...sounds like plenty o’ time tae me then. A young woman passed through here not too long ago...screamin’ some nonsense I could barely make out. Only caught a glimpse of her, but her voice…” Sharla slowly moved closer to the armored woman as she spoke, leaning against the bar counter once she reached her.

“This world is full of urchins and Brume rats. What makes this one different?”

“Her voice...sounded quite like th’ one I’m lookin’ for…” She merely shook her head and sighed. “But I’m guessin’ ye might not have much tae say on this one...or maybe ye do?”

A low hiss came from the armored woman, which could have been a sigh instead. “Still you look for your Ul’dahn whore? There are so many more...worthwhile tasks to waste your time on.” She almost seemed to be disgusted by Sharla’s persistence.

Sharla rested an elbow on the counter as she narrowed her eyes at the other woman. “Well, I do have a busy schedule as of late. But this task has my attention for th’ time bein’. An’ now...you have my attention as well…”

“Do I now? Best listen well then. Yes, I have information you might like. I will not repeat it twice, however. Your little whore was seen recently in the city. The dirty little hole they call the Forgotten Knight. Rumor is she stole a meal from a man named Clay of house Abercrombie, then fled.”

An eyebrow rose as Sharla listened and kept her gaze on the woman. “Clay...Ishgardian noble I take it. This jus’ gets better an’ better…”

The armored woman merely laughed. A vindictive humorous chuckle, even. “Lord or not, she spat upon his hospitality. If she crosses my path first, I will have her tongue for such an insult.”

“I’m sure ye will, if ye get the’ chance. Or maybe…” Sharla narrowed her gaze at the woman as she seemed to be amused by that ‘maybe’, waiting expectantly. Sharla chuckled softly and shook her head. “Maybe th’ Fury will see fit tae give ye such a blessin’, or maybe she’ll send somethin’ else yer way instead.”

The woman cocked her head at that notion. “Perhaps she will. Or perhaps you intend to challenge her will regardless. This is not the time for needless heroics, however. Lest you want your trail to go cold.”

Sharla chuckled and merely shook her head. “Heh...when is it ever th’ time. I’m sure I’ll be seein’ ye around again…”

“I am nearly certain you will. Fury willing, I will deliver the girl’ head to you once her soul has been cleansed.” Her gaze slowly turns to Sharla as she made her way to the door.

Sharla looked back over her shoulder before she departed. “You do tha’, an’ Fury willin’...you won’t be too far behind her. Only your soul won't be cleansed like hers…” She grin slightly as her eyes flashed a familiar violet color briefly. “Ye know...I’m actually enjoyin’ these chats o’ ours. Till next time…”

“Forgotten Knight...great, back to lovely Ishgard again…” Sharla groaned as she once more ventured out into the bitter cold of the highlands. She made her way over to the nearby chocobo stable to retrieve Gaheris, and start the next part of her search. Weeks of searching with no result had begun to take it’s toll on Sharla. From the highlands of Coerthas, to Gridania and the surrounding Shroud, she had found nothing to indicate that Coatleque Crofte  was anywhere to be found, let alone alive. Nothing but rumors, possible sightings of someone who may have looked like her, and dead ends leading to more and more questions. It was almost seemed she was being lead on, as if everything she was being told was to keep her from finding Crofte.

Sharla gently took Gaheris’ reigns and found herself once more making her way to Ishgard proper. She kept a moderate pace on her way to the city as she took the time to survey her surroundings. Passing by familiar landmarks and buildings, she had grown accustomed to to seeing the constant reminders of what she had almost lost several moons ago, what she’s had to deal with ever since returning up to the north, and what she had left behind.

“Do you really expect to find anything there this time? I’ve even lost track of how long this search has been going on! And so far creepster ice queen really hasn’t seem to have told you anything that’s actually been useful.” Sharla’s annoying, yet ‘faithful’ traveling companion began to voice her opinion to the older woman. After realizing her words were falling on deaf ears once more, she decided to remain silent for the rest of the journey back to Ishgard.

Sharla had reached to city and made arrangements to have Gaheris kept at the chocobo stable before resuming what was most likely to be another fruitless search. She made her way to the Brume to ask the locals there if they had seen or heard of anyone fitting Coatleque’s description. Still getting nothing but rumors and possible sightings. Though it was all Sharla had to go on at the moment, so she decided to press on in her search. She moved towards the Forgotten Knight, coming in from the back entrance from the Brume. Making her way up the stairs from the lower bar area, she caught a glimpse of a very familiar looking set of red hair.

“Huh...wait, cannae be this easy...can it?” She slowly made her way over and blinked as she got a better look at someone sitting against a wall in a dark corner of the Forgotten Knight. She immediately froze as her eyes widened, taking sight of a familiar looking woman. She took a moment to glance over her, taking note that the younger woman appeared to have seen far better days, and her eyes looked tired and darker than usual. “It can’t be...Coatleque? You’re...please tell me I’m not imaginin’ this…” Sharla removed her turban as she slowly made her way over to the woman.

The woman didn’t appear to notice Sharla or anyone in particular. In fact, it seemed as if she was trying to hide in the corner away from everyone. Finally taking notice of an armored woman approaching her, the younger woman blinked and looked towards her. “I-I’m sorry? Who?”

Sharla blinked and tilted her head slightly at the younger woman. “What? This is a joke, right? Coatleque Crofte...ye jus’ up an’ vanished on us without a trace, an’ now…”

The woman nearly does a double take before looking rather dejected. “O-oh...her again. I am sorry, but that woman is dead I am told.” She looked over nervously at the innkeep, as if she expected something to be thrown her way.

Sharla quickly shook her head, and shot a glare over at the innkeep before looking back. “Wha’ do ye mean, her again...an’ dead? Lass, if this is yer idea o’ a bad joke, th’ timin’ couldn’t be any worse.”

The red-haired woman could not have looked any more serious, except for the wave of confusion that seems to overtake her face.  "Why would I joke about something like that?  I swear I do not know who you are talking about!"

Sharla gave the girl another quick lookover and noticed a new cosmetic addition, though barely visible in the low light at the corner of the room. A long, deep scar across the front of her neck, making it fairly obvious what happened there. She then groaned and rubed the side of her head. “Okay...this is gonna be one o’ those days then…” She looked back to her, narrowing her eyes and briefly glancing at her neck once more. “Okay...so ye have no idea wha’ I’m talkin’ about then...great. So, who are ye then? An’ how did ye manage to get tha’ scar on yer neck?”

The woman peered back up at Sharla for a moment with narrowed eyes before she seemed to have made up her mind. “Miss, I do not even know who you are.”

Sharla took a moment to rub the side of her head. “Gods...ye really don’t recognize me then. Sharla...Sharla Blackheart. Doesn’t ring a bell at all?”

“I am...I’m…” She appeared as if she was trying to remember. The strain of which made her wince in pain. “I’m not sure. Sharla…” She repeated the name quietly to herself. Despite her words, her expression shows some familiarity with it.

Sharla took notice of the pain as the younger woman strained to remember. “Okay...easy then. Sometime ago ye knew me as...nevermind, a story fer another day...” She frowned as she briefly glanced around the tavern. “Hmmm, maybe something a bit easier. Can ye tell me wha’ ye do remember?”

The younger woman concentrated on that at least.  "P-pain... I remember pain.  An inn room.  Hushed voices, then a blinding light.  It seemed so long ago.  An eternity.  And then the snows of Coerthas. I was told she was gone.  Her life was over.  Betrayed by... by someone.  That she could never go back."

“Okay, that’s a start. Pain...th’ scar on yer neck, an’ ye not bein’ able tae remember anything, I’m bettin’. Who...who told you she was gone?”

The woman quirked a brow incredulously and looked to Sharla as if the answer should be obvious.  "The priestess, of course.  She said I must continue.  Then they were gone."

“Priestess? Wha’ bloody priestess? Was it jus’ her there?”

“N-no. She had the Champion with her...a-and the Sentinel. I saw them, as if in a dream.”

Sharla blinked and shook her head. “Wait...Champion. Halone’s Champion?”

“Oh, you know him? They...saved me. Foiled the shadowed man and…” The young woman pitched forward and held her head. “T-that’s all I remember.”

Sharla shook her head slowly and lowered her gaze to the ground. “Oh...I know him well enough. An’ he’s gonna get tae know me very well too...along with th’ priestess, an’ this Sentinel…” She looked back to Crofte, concerned over the current state she was in. “I’m guessin’ ye don’t know how ye ended up in this place either?”

“...I walked.” Crofte simply answered as she looked back up at Sharla.

Another familiar voice rang out as Sharla seemed to be deep in thought, trying to process everything she’s been told so far. “...Crofte, Shas? Huh...can’t say I expected to see you two here.”

Crofte quickly looked over to Vahn at the mention of the name again and tried to scramble further back into the wall, alas it was quite solid and she could go no further.

“Walked? Through all th’...stubborn one indeed.” She quickly looked over, following Crofte’s gaze towards the familiar voice. “Vahn? Vahn Pendragon, aye...this is uh...not really sure how tae explain this one.”

• 3 weeks later...

The man Sharla was speaking to glanced over the woman on the floor before looking back. “She certainly looks worse for wear....Crofte and scared usually don’t go together. What’s happened?”

The young woman shook her head as she looked to Vahn. “W-who are you now? Why does everyone keep calling me that?!”

“...Never mind, it makes sense now.’ Vhan spoke as he looked back over to Sharla who just shrugged having as much a clue as to what was going on as he did. They spoke for a time as Sharla explained what was going on, how she felt as if she was being played from the beginning and they both listened as the young woman mentioned a cold woman with a raspy voice. That immediate got Sharla’s attention again as it sounded strangely familiar to the dark armored woman she had encountered several times over the course of her search. She explained to Vahn on how this woman seemed to have it out for the younger woman, and that there was obviously something strange and yet vaguely familiar about her as well.

After some time Sharla had thought it best to not leave the young woman alone in the city now that she knew the armored woman she had encountered frequented the city as well and seemed to be actively coming after Crofte as well for reasons unknown. She had also decided against taking her back to Fortemps Manor, taking notice of Crofte’s reaction when it was mentioned and her own growing paranoia and mistrust. Sharla thought it best if she take the young woman back with her to Gridania, at the very least it would be somewhat safer and more comfortable for her until something could be figured out. The trek to Gridania was quiet and uneventful for the two. Sharla had taken notice of Crofte’s reaction when they passed Fallgoard Float as they journeyed through the Shroud. It had looked as if she was frightened, or at the very least, greatly disturbed as they passed it. Sharla had remembered that the North Shroud was the last known location that Crofte was seen at. Sharla shook her head as she looked from Crofte and gazed to the road ahead of them, deep down she knew without a doubt that there was much more going on than she had originally thought.

“Oookay...so, umm...this just took a turn for beyond fucking weird! So what now? I mean seriously, what in the fuck now?! There is something very seriously wrong with this, even more wrong than before!” Sharla’s younger companion spoke a bit frantically as Sharla showed Crofte to her room and made her way out of the inn to get some fresh air and collect her thoughts.

“I don’t know...what I do know is that I’ve been completely played fer gods damned fool again! Whatever...she’s been found alive, an’ that’s what is important now. I’ll figure out th’ rest later on…” Sharla continued making her way outside as she removed her turban and began rubbing at her eyes and the bridge of her nose. “I need tae find Lilith an’ Jocea, I need to know they’re alright. Shite...Lilith is gonna be so bloody pissed at me. I should’ve jus’ bloody left Coerthas when I had th’ chance…”

“Uh...yeah, yeah she is, and that -might- have been a good idea. A bit hard to say either way at this point I really hope you know what you’re doing boss, cause I don’t have a damn clue right now!

“Yeah...you and me both.” Sharla sighed and shook her head as she had decided to leave Gridania once more and venture out into the Shroud for yet more missing people!