Alexander -- Headcannons and Theories

Let's talk nerd, yo.

So as of yesterday I was speaking with a couple of people about how excited we were for Heavensward, the Heavensward release trailer in comparison to Final Fantasy IX's was brought up. So like a flock of nerds, theories came up.

My personal theory (which is similar to one of aforementioned nerds) if XIV-Alexander is as similar to IX-Alexander as SE is heavily implying it to be, then here's my thoughts;

Alexander means 'defender of man' in Greek. IX is proof of this -- he is hospitable, having an entire city built on his back and people inhabiting this city. Throughout the game, Bahamut threatens to eliminate the world and the game is revolved to reactivating the oldest primal to date -- older than Bahamut -- Alexander. 

In Heavensward, the topics seem to be two things; Dravenians vs Eorzea, and reactivating Alexander. We're seeing a pattern here.

Methinks that Alexander is going to be Eorzea's secret weapon, and Alisae (who might follow her brother and Warrior of Light to Ishgard) realizes this. She once again sends adventurers through five patches and X amount of Binding Coil of Alexander turns to turn Alexander back on. If Alexander remains as powerful as he was in IX, being able to just shrug off Bahamut's limit break, Teraflare, then he'd be able to realistically obliterate Eorzea's enemies out of orbit before returning to dormancy. However, things can't be so simple.

Alexander is home to mankind. He has a castle and city on his back... what if awakening him and using his power rids the problem... but destroys Ishgard? 

I surmised that the Main Story Quests lead the WoL and involved NPCs to find an alternative to defeating or coming to peace with the Dravenians... but Alexander is still there for the "You Give Us No Choice" extreme. The Dravenians know they can't beat Alexander, so with that, they either give up because the costs are too high for all involved and know there's no winning -- just because Alexander is awaken and ready to fight for the Eorzeans.

Of course, this is all conjecture. Anyone else wanna share their theories? :D

It's already been confirmed that Alexander is the Goblin primal. As with past final fantasy titles, however, Alexander isn't the giant robot castle itself. Alexander is generally a spirit that is placed into said robot castle.

That being said, the design of Alexander doesn't seem to be Goblin in origin, at least from what we've seen thus far. It's a bit too ornate and symmetrical, compared to what they usually seem to do, which is throw a bunch of scrap together. Either the Goblins up north are different (Moblins, maybe? That was a thing in XI, and they had a distinctly different technology despite being similar to Goblins physically.) or they simply hijacked the fortress and summoned their primal into it.

Alexander2.jpg

Could be Allagan, but it doesn't really fit their bill in terms of aesthetics, either. We do know that the empire ravaged the northlands quite a few years ago. They supposedly laid waste to Sharlayan at some point as well, according to NPC texts from 1.0. While it seems a bit farfetched for the empire to build something that massive and just leave it behind, it does kind of have an Imperial aesthetic to it. Doubly so with the red, black, and gold motif. So, that is also a possibility. If I had to choose from available options, I'd go with the empire, but it could very well be some new civilization we've yet to learn about. Only time will tell.

Chances are the Goblins, in their short-sightedness, summon Alexander into the structure, and it's up to us to stop it before it goes on a rampage.

Judging on what we saw in Brayflox HM, I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize that the Illuminati goblins are probably Alexander's version of Tempered: Illuminated.

Historically in FF, Alexander has been aspected with Light and/or Holy as his elemental designation.  Therefore, light = illuminated or enlightened.