Dravanian Threat Defeated!

by Spahro Llorn

[align=center]Crofte_Sketch.png[/align]

[align=center]Coatleque Crofte, Sultansworn & Dragon Slayer[/align]

[align=center](OOC: Sketch art done by Gharen Wolfsong)[/align]

For several months the citizens of Thanalan have been in danger from an insidious threat that has been cultivated under their very noses by insurgent forces from the Dravanian Horde.  This group of heretics, using powerful artifacts, have been attempting to sew chaos amongst the proud people of the desert in an effort to start a war between Ul'Dah and Ishgard, weakening both armies in preparation for a Dravanian offensive.  Luckily for us, and all of Eorzea, this foul plot was thwarted by the combined efforts of Thanalanian and Ishgardian forces.

The cult itself might be recognizable to many citizens as it was led by someone who came to be known as The No Eyed Man.  The Dravanian heretic, posing as a local, sought to stir up anti-Ishgardian sentiment throughout Thanalan.  In order to facilitate this he smuggled in powerful Dravanian artifacts that poisoned anyone who who unwarilly came in contact with them.  These artifacts were disseminated throughout the markets of Thanalan to be purchased as trinkets by unsuspecting innocents.

A group of adventurers, unnamed by their own choice, discovered this plot and reported it to the authorities after an encounter with the cultists.  The Immortal Flames became involved, as did Sultansworn Coatleque Crofte, who took it upon herself to end this deadly threat to The Jewel of The Desert.

At this point, following the trail of these heretics, two Ishgardian Dragoons were dispatched to Ul'Dah by none other than Ser Aymeric, head of the Ishgardian Knights Templar.  These Dragoons, Orrin of House Halgren and V'aleera Lhuil, joined forces without preamble and assisted Thanalan in her plight.  Seeking no fame or thanks, this trio of brave heroes sought out the corruption in the heart of the Jewel and cut it out.

It was a long and arduous campaign, fought in secret, to protect Thanalanian lives and avoid a war we could not afford.  "They were there to create destruction to the south, no doubts with plans for Ishgard in the process.  They made the mistake of coming into the open, none of their cell live to tell a word." said Sir Halgren of the cult.  "There was definitely a Heretic cell in Ul'dah, they had plans to strike.  They had plans to summon an old dragon found in the sands of the sagolii. I stumbled upon it along with V'aleera and a few others. They were routed."

Beyond just the cell were two actual dragons who took to the skies over Thanalan to wreak havoc.  Joining the trio were veteran adventurers who assisted them in their fight.  The first of these dragons attacked the Drybone-Highbridge road.

"There was a dragon ready to attack the city, and we had to go fight it, but we needed a distraction.  So who other to turn to than Uldah's greatest, Coatleque Crofte?  While she distracted the dragon, we were able to slay the beast.  And the city was saved," said Evangeline Primrose, one of the adventurers present.

Sir Crofte herself was more humble about the experience.  "I was only along as a representative of the Order to assess the rumors spreading through the city.  It ambushed us along the road.  Alas I was mostly incapacitated when the dragon killed my chocobo, and I was pinned underneath it."

Despite being pinned under her mount, Crofte continued to fend off the dragon while the Dragoons used their specialized skills to bring the beast down from the air.

The second dragon was a far more deadly threat.  When the band of heroes sought to destroy the last of the relics, in an attempt to thwart them the Dravanians sent the largest and most deadly scalekin ever seen south of Coerthas.  Crofte described it as "A more wyrmlike beast."

This time, however, the heroes were prepared.  While Miss Primrose kept the beast pinned with a well timed shot from a harpoon canon, Ser Crofte once more faced the beast head on, keeping its terrible fury directed at her shield.  The Dragoons wrested it down from the skies with spear and cunning, and eventually the beast was slain on hardpacked Thanalanian soil.

With that act done, the Dravanian menace to our lands came to an end.  The poisonous artifacts have been destroyed, and the dragons and their kin slain.  The No Eyed Man, however, remains at large, and any citizens who see him are advised to alert the nearest authorities immediately.  

Sgt. Malin of the Brass Blades at Highbridge is leading the investigation into the No Eyed Man's capture as well as making sure that any remaining artifacts are safely disposed of.  Should any citizen of Thanalan come into contact with anything that they believe might be of Dravanian origin they are requested to turn it over to Sgt. Malin immediately.

Anstarra sniffs in wry amusement as she reads the paper, standing in a shaded alcove of the Gold Court. "Funny how she can slander Coatleque one day and praise her the next. Doesn't do wonders for her credibility.. but I suppose you take what you can get, with editorials..." Her lips purse. "No mention of me though. I don't know whether to be relieved or incensed to be under miss Llorn's radar... especially since it seems we're living in the same house now... ah well."

She looks off, in the direction of the Milvaneth Sacrarium where the No-Eyed Man is due another appearance. "I wonder what this will do to his plans... People are mad enough. I have a bad feeling..."

She walks off, paper tucked under her arm.