New to FF14 role playing.

I recently just used world transfer to go to Balmung because I missed role playing. I use to role play a lot in Lord of the Rings online and just had an itch to try it in Final Fantasy 14.  Is there a lot of random RP in this or is it better to find a Free Company for it?  I kind of wanted to get my feet wet before I joined a free company and get a grasp on my character.

The taverns in each of the main cities (Ul'dah, Ishgard, Gridania and Limsa Lominsa) is an RP hub. 

If you see someone idling on a chair or a railing, odds are they're a RPer and you can send them a /tell to see if they're interested. 

There is less RP in other places, but lots of events. A good place to meet people is by checking the event calendar and attending a few social events.

Hey there! Welcome to Balmung and the RPC!

And yeah, there's usually RP around pretty much everywhere, though 'hotspots' usually are The Quicksand, Carline Canopy and maybe even at the Drowning Wench.

People also might just walk up to you as well for RP or send you a /tell, so keep an eye out!

Ah. Is there anyway to tag yourself as role playing. I am thinking there is not but I dont know all the /commands of FF14. I learn new ones every day it would seem.

You can put it in your search info. Some people were setting their status as "seeking materia melding" as a call sign a while back, but I don't know if that caught on.