Greetings!

Vanhiel

Hello everyone,

I figured I should do a bit of an introduction type thing since I'm about to get back (I suppose I can say that) into the game.

So about my MMO history, it actually all started with FFXI.  I got the game at US release and played for a number of years on Ragnarok where played as a Taru Bard named Reli.  I somehow managed to find a somewhat small RP LS (Good luck I guess) and that got me into the whole MMO RP thing.  Eventually I moved to EQ2 where I played on the LDL RP Server for a number of years.  I then went to Vanguard: SoH for a bit until it imploded.  Then bounced around a bit between games until XIV came out.  I played that for a bit until Squeenix made it F2P as I felt that the game might not recover.  Did a bit more game bouncing and then wound up leaving gaming.

So that brings me to today... I was sitting bored at the computer and decided to see what had happened to XIV and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was back and doing quite well.  So after a quick search for a RP server I found this site and well here I am!

As for RP experience I've been on the Light to Medium side in every game I've played.  I've tried heavy RP but I tend to feel it's a bit too much to always be in character 100% of the time.  I'd say I'm more at a medium level generally only breaking character to do dungeons and such.

Now I do have a couple questions that you all might be able to help with.

When I went into my account management it's telling my I'm eligible for a "recruitment code" which I have to assume gives me nifty stuff, free game time or both.  So would anyone want to send one my way?

I remember from 1.0 that unlike XI the races were very balanced and you didn't really have to pick the race for your class.  Is this still the case or have they mucked that up?

And any suggestions for a new character?  Things to make sure I do or RP hotspots to make sure I visit?

Thanks in advance, and hopefully I'll be seeing you all in game soon!

First, welcome to FFXIV and the RPC! I'll reply to any question I can...

When I went into my account management it's telling my I'm eligible for a "recruitment code" which I have to assume gives me nifty stuff, free game time or both.  So would anyone want to send one my way?

I PM'd you a recruitment code, along with a link of stuff you get for the code.

I remember from 1.0 that unlike XI the races were very balanced and you didn't really have to pick the race for your class.  Is this still the case or have they mucked that up?

You still don't need to pick your race for class so feel free to be whatever race/class combo you wish!

And any suggestions for a new character?  Things to make sure I do or RP hotspots to make sure I visit?

I'd suggest looking over lore and learning some of the story at least before diving into RP. The adventurers guild in each city state normally has some RP activity, and there's always player ran events you can attend to watch and/or join that you'll find on the calendar on the RPC.

Thanks Nodem!

I'm rather relieved they didn't change that part!  Makes life life easier when you don't have to think about not getting groups because your race/class combo sucks.

I see that the Wiki here has a lore section.  Anywhere else I should look or is everything pretty much covered on site?

Thanks Nodem!

I'm rather relieved they didn't change that part!  Makes life life easier when you don't have to think about not getting groups because your race/class combo sucks.

I see that the Wiki here has a lore section.  Anywhere else I should look or is everything pretty much covered on site?

The OFFICIAL FFXIV FORUMS are a good place for lore posted by the devs. If you have a lore related, or rp related, question(s) you can ask away on these forums though as there are a few knowledgeable people that lurk around here.

So I've been trying for almost 2 days now to make a character but both Balmung and Gilgamesh have been greyed out for character creation every time I've looked.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best time to try and create a character on either server?

Thanks!

You basically can't. The only time there's ever an open creation window on Balmung or Gilgamesh is immediately after the servers go up after a patch downtime, but it's such a short window of time that if you blink too hard you miss it.

The only viable route onto Balmung is to pay the $18 transfer fee from another server. However, that fee includes up to 8 characters from the same origin server for the same single charge, if your subscription type is the sort that permits more than one character. If you think you may ever want to play alts, the best bet is thus to transfer in a batch and not have to pay the fee multiple times.

Thanks both!

Since there is going to be a maintenance downtime ending tomorrow (and I have the day off) I'll give that a go and hope it works.  Otherwise I guess I'll have to pay the fee.  Shame I don't want any alts, unlike every other game out there I find no need with FF.

I've also heard Gilgamesh has become pretty PVE-focused, though. I have no way to verify that rumor, other than that I've met a lot of people who transferred from Gilgamesh to Balmung pretty recently who all had the same tale of the RP community there fading.

Thanks for the heads up!  I was planning on trying for Balmung.  And if I can't Gilgamesh has to be a better bet than the rest of the servers until I transfer or at least worth a look if it's the only option of the two.