Experienced Roleplayer, New(ish) to FFXIV

Senojim

8-) Hi Everyone! 8-)

I'm a relatively new player to FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. I played on release for a few months, but never got a chance to RP with anyone during that time. I've been playing MMO's for over a decade and am no stranger to both in-game and forum-based RP.

I love RP. :love: I love writing, too, often filling the time between RP'ing with others by writing short stories about my characters. Until recently my focus has been almost exclusively on Star Wars: The Old Republic, but before that I've had adventures in Wildstar, World of Warcraft, Tera and a few others. I've always considered myself a solo player, but I've never enjoyed a game more than I have when I find a wonderful community to become a part of.

At the moment I'm a little hazy on the lore of FFXIV, but I plan to do some heavy reading over the next few days to learn as much as I can.

To that end, I plan to become heavily involved in RP'ing on Balmung (once my character transfer goes through). I play from Australia, so timezones might conflict a little, but I'm certainly gonna try my best! :thumbsup:

My character's name is Mai'kou Alka, a Miqo'te Pugilist - maybe a monk later, who knows?

If any new or experienced players want to get together, let me know! And if you see a lost Miqo'te wandering around, don't hesitate to say hi!

Also, if anyone can give me a heads up as to popular locations (taverns and the like) where people gather, that would help me a lot!

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that's oppressive allow me to tone it down...

OMGSOGLADYOUCAMEOVERTOTHEBESTRPPLACEOFALLTIME!!! Weeeelllcome!

In all seriousness glad you can make it over the Balmung, there's pretty much active RP where you venture off to, but if you're looking for some connections feel free to hit me up in-game. I'd be more than happy to connect with a fellow writer and steer you to some notable places and communities to check in on. LOTS of good RP hotspots with almost something going on everyday.

So if you're looking for a heavy RP scene, then look no further! We've got you covered!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

I just had a chance to log in after work and I was completely blown away by how many people were in the tavern in Ul'Dah alone.

So happy to see a huge crowd, makes me look forward to joining in very, very much. :D

Welcome to Balmung! I can say I am glad that I came over to Balmung myself.

Haven't done anything with tavern/large open gatherings RPs yet, save for some RP with Pathfinders, and the occasional (hopefully more cause Ehfi can never have enough friends. xD) rp with one person.

If you ever in need of RP or would like to interact with someone who'll heal (for basically free) and be a generally nice person send a /tell at Ehfi Rhinsu.

Edit: /tell would just be either brainstorming or just checking to see if I am free to RP or not. (I love brainstorming. xD)

Hello fellow newbie! \o/

I'm planning to transfer to Balmung soon myself. I had a big 2-day stakeout trying to grab a window for character creation but one never came up, and I figured the only way I'm going to get on there is if I transfer. There were only 2 characters I wanted on there but since you can transfer multiple characters at once I now have 4. xD

From the sound of it, there's no shortage of RP anywhere on Balmung, so I'm looking forward to getting there. I hope I'll see you around when I do! :D

Hello fellow newbies! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I got a chance to wander around Ul'dah last night and had a really good time - even made a new friend.:D

Shivvers, you're more than welcome to send me a /tell when you get over. Us newbies gotta stick together, right? :P

I'll shoot you a line when I can, Noxtis, and maybe we can get something interesting going. Brainstorming, like you said :)

And yes, I agree. Transferring might be a little extra, but it's certainly better waiting around for the servers to free up - though I did hear that the best time to make a new character is right after server resets or maintenance end.

Welcome!First off, Are you me?

No?

Ok. Now we have that cleared up, you sound a lot like me. I used to more be a solo RPer, writing about my characters, playing in other MMOS and all the stuff you just said, until I got into FFXIV, particularly Balmung. It's such a great community that I almost find it impossible to RP alone now. That's not a bad thing. I love the people in Balmung. 95% of people I have met there have been welcoming. I say 95 because there's always that few who still try to ruin things.

As far as hot spots, if you like tavern RP the Quicksand seems to be THE place to go for people just trying to make connections. Be careful there though, because a lot of people are looking for ERP. If that's your thing, great, go for it. If not, then be cautious. Also, look on the RP section of this forum. There's always some form of open RP event popping up that you may fancy going to. If you see something you like, just head on to the event. 

If you want to make connections with Free Companies and Linkshells, we have a section on here for that too. Just find something that may interest you, and check out to see if they're recruiting. I know several members from a few different groups, but I don't know what kind of RP you're looking for, or if the groups are recruiting, so that's not much help.

Actually, I fear I probably haven't been much help at all.

If you're ever at a lull for RP, consider CAKE sometime. I tried it yesterday and managed a few stranglers watching me and even randomly joining in.

Note: 60% of the time, it works 100% of the time.

Now for the more serious stuff: There's plenty of RP on Balmung. So much in fact, that people often filter out some incoming RP by going to their own houses rather than lying around the QS. Stick around at the QS and you'll only get a small fraction of potential RP headed your way.

If you think the Quicksand is big... well. That's the tip of the iceberg. There's also weekly events, such as the Grindstone, where upwards of 50 people on average attend to RP with each other.

Welcome!First off, Are you me?

No?

Ok. Now we have that cleared up, you sound a lot like me. I used to more be a solo RPer, writing about my characters, playing in other MMOS and all the stuff you just said, until I got into FFXIV, particularly Balmung. It's such a great community that I almost find it impossible to RP alone now. That's not a bad thing. I love the people in Balmung. 95% of people I have met there have been welcoming. I say 95 because there's always that few who still try to ruin things.

Hi Raeje!

I'm pretty sure I'm not you, but I can double-check.

*pats self*

Nope, still me. But it's good to know that I haven't been alone in my experiences :thumbsup:

I can definitely agree that this community is great - and I've only been here two days! While I appreciate the heads up, I am quite adept at getting myself out of what is obviously a solicitous attempt to sign my character up for ERP. I have absolutely no problem with those who choose to do it, but it's definitely not what I'm here for. That said, I have no problems with a fade-to-black sort of thing if characters being intimate with one another serves some sort of developmental purpose rather than just, you know. Sex.

I will definitely check out the linkshells and free companies once I find my bearings, so thanks! You have been a big help! :D If you see Mai'kou Alka around, don't hesitate to let me know it's you!

--

Leggerless, that CAKE idea is amazing. :P

So far the Quicksand has helped me road-test my clumsy miqo'te and give me an idea of what I actually want him to be like - but I do hope to start checking out bigger things, events, and finding more people to interact with. Maybe even -groups- of people! :dazed:

--

I might make a thread in the town square myself, where newbies (or experienced folk!) can come and say hey, since my timezone makes me play at odd hours.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, everyone! Making me feel very welcome and I love chatting to new people. 8-)

Hello hello!

I don't get out much, and I'm still intending to connect with people I met a while back on this site... because I'm terrible at getting in touch with people for varying reasons. But I have a sweet, shy catteboy of my own if you'd like to meet up somewhere. Feel free to send me a /tell sometime if you'd like and we're on at the same time! You'll find me over on Cam'nahl Zarasten more often than not.

(I'm US Pacific time, so we might overlap a little bit? My evening is your morning... so for example at the time of my writing this it's about 5pm my time and Google tells me GMT+10 makes it 10am. So maybe?)

Hi Kibu!

I know what you mean - there always seems to be that extra difficulty between talking to someone on a forum and actually getting something started in game.

From my interactions with my other US friends I think you're right, my mornings usually coincide with American evenings.

I'll definitely keep an eye out, and send you a /tell if I see you online! :thumbsup: