Breaking-in

Tasi

Hello, new to the community here. I've arrived after far too much time in a gaming slump and am looking to spice things up a bit. I'm just looking for some opinions here - is it difficult to jump in to RP as someone who is unfamiliar with the game lore? I've already cooked up a character idea that wouldn't require much knowledge to play, but I don't want to make assumptions and seek out some adventure while forgoing expectations of basic knowledge. Would people be receptive to a newbie who can remain in character but lacks an in-depth point of reference? Not sure if this question is too convoluted to merit a proper response, but I'm a bit of a learn-as-you-go type person who has trouble soaking in large amounts of world knowledge without getting at least a bit of fun in while I learn. Either way I'll be familiarizing myself with the game a bit better in the mean time, so if I should avoid jumping in to RP until I have the time to really understand the lore I will, it's just not as much fun! 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope to see you all in game!

I also took the learning-as-you-go approach when I started out here, though it's a heck of a long time ago now. I would say that as long as you try and stick with a concept that is relatively simple and doesn't step right on something that would typically (regardless of setting) be controversial then you should be fine. You can always add elements to your characters background as you learn more, and put the fact that it hasn't been in play down to them either not talking about it or not remembering it well, to name a few things. 

I wouldn't say that XIV is the most difficult of settings to navigate in without knowing absolutely everything, and you can always start by trying to figure out the lore that relates to your character the most - like, if they for example stay in Ul'dah, you could try to find out more about Ul'dahs society and culture. The lore section on this forum also has lots of interesting discussions and tidbits :)

I also took the learning-as-you-go approach when I started out here, though it's a heck of a long time ago now. I would say that as long as you try and stick with a concept that is relatively simple and doesn't step right on something that would typically (regardless of setting) be controversial then you should be fine. You can always add elements to your characters background as you learn more, and put the fact that it hasn't been in play down to them either not talking about it or not remembering it well, to name a few things. 

I wouldn't say that XIV is the most difficult of settings to navigate in without knowing absolutely everything, and you can always start by trying to figure out the lore that relates to your character the most - like, if they for example stay in Ul'dah, you could try to find out more about Ul'dahs society and culture. The lore section on this forum also has lots of interesting discussions and tidbits :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty attached to the Au Ra race (admittedly for mainly cosmetic reasons), but I don't see a lore section entry for them. As a bit of a follow up, I'm wondering if it would be a totally cheap route to go if I were to diverge from the typical background and personality in favor of a more free spirited vagrant variation. My plan was to make a philosophical character that has developed their own personal outlook on the world and play into that as a means to develop something unique that doesn't require any hard-wired archetype characteristics. 

Again, appreciate the input! I'll definitely use your advice while I start doing a bit of skimming to acclimate myself.

Tasi I have seen you! Its not to bad especially when RPing a Au'Ra there is quite a bit of information both here and through the wiki to get you going; though by the seat of your pants rp (which is how I do it) works fairly well. Keep in mind the differences between the clans just in case there is someone who you are rping with who is strict about that stuff. And if you ever need someone to practice with; this is my first Au'ra and I am always looking for rp :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty attached to the Au Ra race (admittedly for mainly cosmetic reasons), but I don't see a lore section entry for them. As a bit of a follow up, I'm wondering if it would be a totally cheap route to go if I were to diverge from the typical background and personality in favor of a more free spirited vagrant variation. My plan was to make a philosophical character that has developed their own personal outlook on the world and play into that as a means to develop something unique that doesn't require any hard-wired archetype characteristics. 

Again, appreciate the input! I'll definitely use your advice while I start doing a bit of skimming to acclimate myself.

Well there is quite a bit of wiggle room for that I would say. The main things I would say you should consider is 

- Were they a part of a tribe? You can find more about the tribes in the naming policy here, and if so which one, and if not then why not. 

- How and how recently did they get from Othard (original region) to Eorzea - if for example they arrived about a year ago, they may have adjusted some to the culture and language. 

For being a free spirited vagrant type, I could easily see them having abandoned the tribal lifestyle either before or after coming to eorzea, and dealing with the consequences of that kind of choice ^^ 

Feel free to prod me anytime for RP or just a chatter ^^

You're a Xaela, right?

I think this is most of what you need to know to get started:

1. Flavour from the character creation screen.

Tl;dr: "free-spirited vagrant" is the Xaelan archetype, so you're in luck!

Auri creation myth tells of a Dawn Father and a Dusk Mother from whom all Au Ra are descended. The Xaela believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the latter─their lustrous black scales and fiery wills serving as proof of this divine lineage.

Unlike their sister clan, the Raen, who lead solitary lives hidden behind the savage peaks of Othard's eastern reaches, the Xaela are free spirits who roam the vast western steppe in close-knit tribes hunting, gathering, and warring as their ancestors have for countless generations.

2. Naming conventions.

Tl;dr: you know Mongolian, right(?) xD

Most Xaelan forenames are based on Mongolian names/words used in the 15th century. (Yeah, I know. ._. This site is my singular reference.)

So if your character has a European-sounding name, chances are folks are going to ask if it's a pseudonym or not. Just have a simple excuse ready to go. I recommend "it's easier for Eorzeans to pronounce than my real name".

And their surnames are based on tribes. It's completely possible for a xaela to come from a small tribe not part of the list, or to have disowned their tribe. So this only matters with relation to what your character would know about others. I recommend bookmarking this page and CTRL+F'ing for any Xaela surnames you come across in-game.

I don't think anyone expects anyone to learn all 51 by rote. I definitely don't. I look them up every damn time I come across them in-game ("which one is that again?? is that the horse ones or the other horse ones??"). >_>

3. Geographical origins.

Tl;dr: your character probably isn't from Eorzea originally.

Othard - the continent where most Xaela originate from - is quite far away from Eorzea (where the game takes place). So your character would have had to migrate to Eorzea, probably by boat.

The main reason most people migrated to Eorzea from Othard is to avoid the militaristic and dictatorial Garlean Empire, who have invaded Othard and razed one of its major nations (Doma, which is basically FFXIV Japan).

The Othardian Steppe, which is the area of Othard that Xaela live in, is loosely based on the Mongolian steppe, except it's a bit hotter and more desert-y. Take cues from there when describing a homeland.

I think that's everything that's... important. Everything else is fluff and flavour that you can have excuses for your character not to know either. xD

Thank you all for the excellent replies, will definitely be taking some notes so I can get started with a bit of a backstory. I figure I can get more detailed as I learn, but I think this is a great start for me. I'll probably be keeping to myself a bit initially but if anyone happens upon me in game feel free to give me a poke if you'd like!

Tasi, I am/was in the same boat as you are. I'm not new to roleplaying but new to the FF lore. What I did was to do a bit of reading stuff I could find and to which I was pointed. I had a general idea of my who Jaydhe was and her background and have been solidifying it as I go. I also decided to start her off as someone who was new to Eorzea (6 months to a year there) so she was not much more knowledgeable about stuff than I was.

I'd also be happy to RP with you sometime. My character is Jaydhe Tokar. :)

Tasi, I am/was in the same boat as you are. I'm not new to roleplaying but new to the FF lore. What I did was to do a bit of reading stuff I could find and to which I was pointed. I had a general idea of my who Jaydhe was and her background and have been solidifying it as I go. I also decided to start her off as someone who was new to Eorzea (6 months to a year there) so she was not much more knowledgeable about stuff than I was.

I'd also be happy to RP with you sometime. My character is Jaydhe Tokar. :)

Thanks, seems we are walking a very similar path! My name in game is Tasi Anemos, feel free to hit me up if you see me around!