Yo-Kai Watch?

I definitely say this would be an interesting discussion. With the Yo-Kai Watch in Eorzea event still going strong, it's open to debate whether or not they would be considered canon to the lore. Personally, I feel that since they are within the game and comes with a little bit of backstory, I say that the Youkai are now canon within the game's lore. Sure you won't find them in a developer's blog along with the history of the Dragonsong War, but I enjoy the idea of Jibanyan, Whisper, Komasan, and other little spirits have made themselves visible to us in Eorzea. So I ask you; do you consider Yo-Kai Watch now canon to FFXIV and accept their involvement in an RP (mostly in-game RP)?

...Wait is this a real question?

not to sound like the asshole but you are basically asking this:

"Is the lore of a completely unrelated game cannon to Final Fantasy?"

The events with crossovers are not in lore. They are made for fun or to celebrate something. Everything in these events, even the ff13 lightning and the ff11 ones were never really cannon. they were fun side tracks to the daily events of the game's world.

So no, they are not cannon. Plus to be fair if you want to say if the 'Youkai' themselves (as in the actual ones not the Yo-kai watch variant or Touhou project ones) are real, i would say maybe for Domans but in Eorzea they would be called something else.

Youkai are basically Japanese myths and spirits in the same way we have Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster or event he Chuppacabara (I probably ruined that spelling)

It's a valid question, a lot of people nodded and smiled happily when Shantotto and Lightning appeared. A lot of people made their stories for their FFXI characters to be in FFXIV and everyone said sure why not. I think it's all a bit ridiculous but whatever if you're having a good time do what you do.

Promotional events like this are obviously a bit of a sticky wicket. I mean, does that mean the Dragon Quest "universe" exists in tandem with Hydaelyn because of that one event where you could fight a DQ golem and get its minion? At least with the Lightning Returns and Shantotto, it's kinda a Final Fantasy lore point that each of its worlds could technically be accessed through the Void. Hence why Gilgamesh bounces around from game to game.

For the Yo-Kai Watch minions... I would go less saying "Yes, that means the Yo-Kai exist on Hydaelyn" and more twisting what we're given in a different angle. Perhaps they're mammets based off creatures from Doman stories or the like if you want to use them around those who might be more lore-focused. But that is all personal preference.

...even the ff13 lightning and the ff11 ones were never really cannon...

Shantotto can travel dimensions though. It's 100% cannon! Some even have theories that she is the Shantotto mentioned in FFXIV BLM's quests.

Final Fantasy itself seems to be a multiverse, so writing these off as "Not Cannon" can be inferred as incorrect. Especially when there's concrete evidence in LORE that people are able to hop dimensions. Such as Shantotto. Now before somebody goes, "But but," I will state that only POWERFUL people are able to do this. So Lightning, Shantotto, and Iroha would have no issues doing such things.

The only issue with Yo-kai watch is they can't be seen except by anybody with a watch. I'm sure people can and will come up with interesting ways to explain their minions following them, and they'll be visible due to that interesting way of explaining it.

Yo-Kai Watch cannon? I could see it. Especially since he came from a foreign land and we only have glimpses of what some of the lands of FFXIV are like. The FFXIV team does a great job making sure things fit within our world, so never be afraid to use anything they give us.

In all fairness, for a conclusion, you'll receive criticism on both sides of the field no matter which side you're on. There are even people who think that ALL EVENTS are non-cannon and don't belong in lore. So you do you. :D

Side Note: I'm actually using whisper to represent a ghost following one of my characters around. xD She doesn't enjoy it.

Promotional events like this are obviously a bit of a sticky wicket. I mean, does that mean the Dragon Quest "universe" exists in tandem with Hydaelyn because of that one event where you could fight a DQ golem and get its minion? At least with the Lightning Returns and Shantotto, it's kinda a Final Fantasy lore point that each of its worlds could technically be accessed through the Void. Hence why Gilgamesh bounces around from game to game.

For the Yo-Kai Watch minions... I would go less saying "Yes, that means the Yo-Kai exist on Hydaelyn" and more twisting what we're given in a different angle. Perhaps they're mammets based off creatures from Doman stories or the like if you want to use them around those who might be more lore-focused. But that is all personal preference.

I go with a slightly different angle and say some are creatures/monsters/pets from Doma, while the more weird/humanoid ones are mammets or humanoid monsters, but eh, Who knows? I sure don't. 

Basic list of what could be what:

Jibanyan (Definitely a Pet, probably related to domestic Coeurls.)

Komasan (Pet kept by Shrine Caretakers.)

Usapyon (Mammet. Or should we call it a Rabmet?)

Whisper (Friendly kind of Monster, probably more of a companion than a pet.)

Shogunyan (See: Jibanyan with a costume somone put on it.)

Hovernyan (Gaelikitten Variant from Doma? Pet regardless!)

Komajiro (Pet kept by Shrine Caretakers.)

Noko (Eccentric/exotic Pet. Not too sure what it would be otherwise.)

Venoct (Mammet based off of a legendary Person, or maybe off of a Monster? Possibly even a type of monster impersonating a Mammet to avoid being killed.)

Kyuubi (Could be a mammet, or a rare monster that the mammet was based off of? The monster is probably not welcome, so it'd probably have to impersonate a Mammet in public.)

Robonyan F-type (Mammet. 100% pure Mammet.)

Blizzaria (Mammet based off of a doll...or a Monster that's imitating one. Could probably be a young Yuki-onna, if you're so inclined. See also: Venoct, Kyuubi)

Manjimutt (Monster that looks like a dog with a man's face. Otherwise harmless, if somewhat disturbing.)

As for the guy who gives them to you, he's probably just from Doma itself, and an executive of a pet company, who deal in these rare creatures, monsters, pets, and mammets. Probably to save them from dying out too, considering what happened to Doma.

...And that's how I've been rationalizing it ICly.

Seems fine to me. :P

As I said, I just think it less likely that the more lore-focused folks would accept them as being actual Yo-Kai from the anime. Adapting it like you have to being mammets or rare beasts from Othard would likely be much more.. digestible by said groups. I know I'd be perfectly fine with such an explanation, but I'd also hope I'm not particularly strict and/or picky on such matters. :blush:

... And not in the least just because such explanations could give my Doman Lalafell a rather fitting reaction to someone using such minions openly. ;)

Seems fine to me. :P

As I said, I just think it less likely that the more lore-focused folks would accept them as being actual Yo-Kai from the anime. Adapting it like you have to being mammets or rare beasts from Othard would likely be much more.. digestible by said groups. I know I'd be perfectly fine with such an explanation, but I'd also hope I'm not particularly strict and/or picky on such matters. :blush:

... And not in the least just because such explanations could give my Doman Lalafell a rather fitting reaction to someone using such minions openly. ;)

Thanks for your validation! I was worried the community at large would just be outright ignoring them, without thinking of the possibilities of using them as different things ICly. I know I already got the WHM staff, and I really didn't want to be unable to use it for anything ICly. Well, besides a toy.

Speaking of which, how should we handle the weapons? I think it'd be up to the individual of course, but just having them styled after the yo-kai could bring up interesting possibilities. What if the guy was selling them to show support for the little critters that lost their lives during the sacking/razing of Doma? It seems like a good way to raise money, and get people interested in fighting for the eventual retaking of what's left of Doma...

*Tosses in 2 cents*

I actually have the PLD sword and shield for Chachan because I think they're appropriately adorable for him. As for where he got them.. well, he's a smith! He can make them himself, so where he got it is the easiest bit. Why there's a samurai cat head on the shield would likely be the bigger question... but again, if we just postulate that there's some legendary Doman folk tale about a heroic cat or something, then there shouldn't be any problem there either. I mean, I already use the "honoring his spirit animal" reasoning for why there's a bunny on his helmet. :lol:

So, I guess if you want the whole Doman influence angle, you could say that the weapons were made by someone of Doman descent or inspired by Doman folk tales. I wonder if people would actually question the weapons more than the minions, though...