Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever)

I just started the Stormlight Archives. My last run with Brandon Sanderson was when I mainlined the entire Wheel of Time series over the course of six months. I like it so far, but I don't want to have to wait thirty years for a conclusion.

Brian Sanderson writes like a crazy person, don't worry. He poops out books like... poops. 

I highly recommend his Mistborn Series. The newer set of tales is better, but the original is still good. The books are set about 500 years apart in the same universe, and I enjoy how the complexity of the themes increases as well technology. The original mistborn trilogy is more of a creation mythology (Literally, even) and deals with simple themes like good versus evil, the corruption of power, and balance. 

The new ones (set in a comparable time period to late 1800s america) deal with less epic but more nuanced issues like the meaning of justice, order, and class struggle. 

In any case, some company just dropped 270 million to make movies from his books. So I think everyone is going to be seeing a lot more Sanderson.

I FINISHED THE CURRENTLY-LAST MISTBORN BOOK TODAY

THIS IS ALL EXCEEDINGLY ACCURATE

THE FINALE WON'T COME UNTIL AFTER OATHBRINGER, WHICH WON'T DROP UNTIL FALL

IS IT 2018 YET

/hype

• 5 weeks later...

I FINISHED THE CURRENTLY-LAST MISTBORN BOOK TODAY

THIS IS ALL EXCEEDINGLY ACCURATE

THE FINALE WON'T COME UNTIL AFTER OATHBRINGER, WHICH WON'T DROP UNTIL FALL

IS IT 2018 YET

/hype

WOOOOOO Yeah!

I love him. Here are a few other things I've read recently that I think are good!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24876258-the-aeronaut-s-windlass  I hesitate to call this steampunk, as steampunk is lame. It's more of a final fantasy type magical technology world. There are talking cats!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33369873-forging-hephaestus  Is amazing. I think Anti-Heroes and villanous protagonists are going to be showing up more and more. People irl think the system is fucked up, and we like those who rebel against it. Anyway it's a super hero story about a girl who gets apprenticed to the most notorious super-villain on the planet. It's awesome.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/  Another super hero story, this one a web serial of a girl who wants to be a hero but finds herself becoming the villain. It's free and complete and if anyone reads it please tell me what you think because I LOVE IT!

I've been slowly (and I mean fucking slowly) working my way through Leviathan's Wake by James S.A. Corey, and it's been one of my favorite books in a long time.

I just finished this recently as well and I loved it. I watched the TV show as well, but I feel like the book does a better job thematically. The TV show has more drama, and is more exciting, but it also cheapens it.

Oh, and I'm playing tales of Berseria, which is awesome. It's another villainous protagonist plot. You play as Velvet Crowe, the angriest woman in the world, and everyone should try it if they like JRPGS.

i0ja83k.jpg