New to Balmung

Hello everyone on Balmung!

After lurking here until hitting 60 I'm finally throwing myself into the RP scene and wanted to give some sort of introduction. I've been RPing for quite a while now, having played WoW for 12 years and all, and I'm eager to see what FFXIV has to offer.

So far I've seen a ton of gorgeous places that are RP compatible, so already I'm impressed with this game-- and don't get me started on Ishgard, I could scream every time I teleport there. What's everyone's favorite place to RP for their main? I know Saint Reymanaud's Cathedral is somewhere I could spend whole weeks in.

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC, Balmung, and to FFXIV! :thumbsup:

As someone who came from WoW not but about 7 months ago- yeah, I don't think I could ever go back at this point. The gameplay, scenery, and the community are too good to want to go back on! 

As for RP spots, personally? Most of mine revolve around player housing these days, but I also love just picking out random spots along the road in the Shroud to RP at too. ShroudLife does a lot of these kind of gatherings just randomly all over the place outside of the cities, and the scenery is so pretty it'd be a waste otherwise. 

Have you got character ideas in mind yet? Places you'd like to go? Might be worth tossing up a Making Connections post at some point- get a lot of links to other characters in a hurry!

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC, Balmung, and to FFXIV! :thumbsup:

As someone who came from WoW not but about 7 months ago- yeah, I don't think I could ever go back at this point. The gameplay, scenery, and the community are too good to want to go back on! 

As for RP spots, personally? Most of mine revolve around player housing these days, but I also love just picking out random spots along the road in the Shroud to RP at too. ShroudLife does a lot of these kind of gatherings just randomly all over the place outside of the cities, and the scenery is so pretty it'd be a waste otherwise. 

Have you got character ideas in mind yet? Places you'd like to go? Might be worth tossing up a Making Connections post at some point- get a lot of links to other characters in a hurry!

Indeed I do have a character idea in mind. In fact, I just recently finished my main's wikipage Here.

Sadly, as an altoholic, I could easily fill up my roster. Leveling everyone would probably never happen, though.

As for places I'd like to go, I think the Shroud is pretty comfy. Since I mostly play angry clerics, though, I'm a bit limited on where I go. Halone knows I ain't going to the Quicksand any time soon.

Yeah, I avoid the Quicksand as well; it's entirely possible to survive and be able to engage RP 24/7 without needing to go there anyway- you're just more dependent on using the Making Connections forum and finding yourself some good Linkshells or an RP FC! 

Character looks pretty cool though! Kasi takes jobs on occasion out and around Ishgard, but I can't say I've RP'ed out that way more than a few times at most.

Yeah, I avoid the Quicksand as well; it's entirely possible to survive and be able to engage RP 24/7 without needing to go there anyway- you're just more dependent on using the Making Connections forum and finding yourself some good Linkshells or an RP FC! 

Character looks pretty cool though! Kasi takes jobs on occasion out and around Ishgard, but I can't say I've RP'ed out that way more than a few times at most.

I appreciate the compliment and advice! I think I'll go looking for linkshells and check out the connections tab. So far my favorite thing about Balmung's community is that I haven't yet met anyone less outgoing than myself!

'Everyone's favorite place to rp'... that's a pretty neat question. Claire has the Thanalan in her bones, and loves several locations sprinkled throughout the desert, whether it be the hot springs in South Thanalan, the Goblet, Ul'dah, or just finding a bed of rock to test some of her explosives on.

But closest to home for her is the Drybone area. There's a shallow pool of water nearby, that even has a tent set up next to it. I like to pretend she camps out under the stars there, dreaming of her eventual plan to rule... er.... protect Eorzea.

As for Sayuri, she's grown fond of La Noscea, particularly the port towns like Aleport and Moraby Drydocks. There are indeed some beautiful places in this game, and glad to have you here to enjoy them!

'Everyone's favorite place to rp'... that's a pretty neat question. Claire has the Thanalan in her bones, and loves several locations sprinkled throughout the desert, whether it be the hot springs in South Thanalan, the Goblet, Ul'dah, or just finding a bed of rock to test some of her explosives on.

But closest to home for her is the Drybone area. There's a shallow pool of water nearby, that even has a tent set up next to it. I like to pretend she camps out under the stars there, dreaming of her eventual plan to rule... er.... protect Eorzea.

As for Sayuri, she's grown fond of La Noscea, particularly the port towns like Aleport and Moraby Drydocks. There are indeed some beautiful places in this game, and glad to have you here to enjoy them!

Oh all of La Noscea's beautiful! I definitely need to think up an excuse to explore it some more. I think my favorite part of it would be all the comfy little fishing spots; there's hardly anything cozier in the game. Is your character a fisher?

Oh all of La Noscea's beautiful! I definitely need to think up an excuse to explore it some more. I think my favorite part of it would be all the comfy little fishing spots; there's hardly anything cozier in the game. Is your character a fisher?

Sayuri is not... though it'd certainly be fun to see her try it! The whole thing would probably gross her out which is ample reason to force her into a scene about fishing. She likes ports because she likes to watch the ship's come in. She's a romantic soul and all.

Claire... well she likes to use explosive bait. Not sure she gets the concept that the fish are supposed to be edible after you catch them...

Did some say... fisher?

Wyznwyta loves to fish though spends most of his time doing it alone. I know he couldn't use a fishing buddy. If you'd like to set something up PM me.

Hello and welcome!

The Making Connections forums might interest you to get you started into the RP scene~

To be honest, my favorite has to be the Quicksand because while I don't mind actually being part of the play, I don't mind just being part of the crowd either, watching and listening in on conversations too. Especially if the character explicitly does just that. Sometimes it grabs attention or two or just ooc chatter otherwise~ 

Although I prefer playing and posting at ease without risk of my post getting swallowed up, I like the popular ambiance the inn has and the crowd chattering adds to that. I could just hang there with the music off and listen to the ambiance... sometimes isolating pockets of chatter when you focus your ears on them. That one sigh or grunt or that single cheer that stands out when you do...

But like I said, I like to rp comfortably l3 so even anywhere in the city-states will do like Gridania. It's a bit calmer there than Ul'dath imo.

May the path you choose be filled with the light of the crystal!