What is "the far edge of fate" supposed to mean?

It's obviously the opposite of the near edge of fate.

... In all seriousness, I haven't really put much thought into what they name the patches. Maybe it means the line between free will and fate, and it's just at that line between the two? Like, it almost seemed like the Alliance was going to be pulled into things against their will (fate), but now they're at least kinda-sorta doing it willingly now (free will)?

I afraid I don't get it. I mean, does it matter at this point whether it is a lie or fate? a primal summoned by eorzeans ran rampant across their territory, and now we are choosing to invade it.

I mean, every time I think about the implications I find it hard to look foward to.

but I seriously don't get that phrase...

... what lie? :?

The point I was making is that the Griffon tried to force the Alliance into fighting the Garleans to free Ala Mhigo. We stopped him and his endeavours, yet we are still going in to do that very thing, just of the Alliance's own volition rather than being forced to. IE, doing it of our free will rather than being forced (fated) into doing so.

Or it could just be a mishmash of words chosen because they seem cool and don't have a deeper meaning.

The point I was making is that the Griffon tried to force the Alliance into fighting the Garleans to free Ala Mhigo. We stopped him and his endeavours, yet we are still going in to do that very thing, just of the Alliance's own volition rather than being forced to. IE, doing it of our free will rather than being forced (fated) into doing so.

Or it could just be a mishmash of words chosen because they seem cool and don't have a deeper meaning.

So we are not forced to do it? We could have decided not to? because I saw a lot suggesting we didn't have a choice really...

So we are not forced to do it? We could have decided not to?

I'm not entirely sure what sort of answer you're looking from me here. :?

I have no idea what the name means. I'm just trying to guess what I think it means.

And in that grain, it seems (to me) we're "fated" to ultimately deal with Garlemald and attempt to free Ala Mhigo from its clutches. Previously, it looked like we were going to be dragged into it and forced to do it at the Griffin's pace. However, we put a stop to his plan (kinda) and dealt with the Primal threat (kinda). So, the Alliance really doesn't "need" to continue pushing into Ala Mhigo.

However, we're still doing it, but it's because the Alliance wants to rather than feeling their hand is being forced into doing it. So it's still fate, but it's a willingness to follow through with it rather than try to seek appeasement with Garlemald or something else that isn't "attack Ala Mhigo." Thus it's at the "far edge" of fate.

Or something.

I dunno, man.

You also need to consider that chances are the name of the patch isn't even the same in other languages, anyway... I've noticed that we tend to get titles that lean towards abstract/vague, whereas the Japanese titles have been more specific (i.e. "Stormblood" vs. "Liberators of the Crimson Lotus").

I have no idea what the name means. I'm just trying to guess what I think it means.

And in that grain, it seems (to me) we're "fated" to ultimately deal with Garlemald and attempt to free Ala Mhigo from its clutches. Previously, it looked like we were going to be dragged into it and forced to do it at the Griffin's pace. However, we put a stop to his plan (kinda) and dealt with the Primal threat (kinda). So, the Alliance really doesn't "need" to continue pushing into Ala Mhigo.

However, we're still doing it, but it's because the Alliance wants to rather than feeling their hand is being forced into doing it. So it's still fate, but it's a willingness to follow through with it rather than try to seek appeasement with Garlemald or something else that isn't "attack Ala Mhigo." Thus it's at the "far edge" of fate.

Or something.

I dunno, man.

...I guess that is why I'm feeling like a wet blanket over the whole Stormblood thing. I feel like our intentions don't ultimately matter, the war and animosity won't simply end when those intentions are met.

Or something.

I dunno, man.

...I guess that is why I'm feeling like a wet blanket over the whole Stormblood thing. I feel like our intentions don't ultimately matter, the war and animosity won't simply end when those intentions are met.

I figured that's more or less a given, though. The war with Garlemald is going to happen regardless, that's what the story seems to be building towards anyway. However, the Griffin was trying to force the Alliance's hand because he wanted Ala Mhigo free NOW rather than at the pace he saw the Alliance going at it.

Nothing's going to stop the conflict from what we can tell right now because we're dealing with a nation that believes it should be ruling over everything. However, where and when the Alliance does this needs to be with them deciding to do so as a united front, and gathering as many allies as possible. Not being forced into jumping in early because an Ala Mhigan revolutionary wants his war and he wants it now.

Though, all that said, this is a bit of a detour from "why is the patch named the way it is."

That's fine, that's - as I said - my own personal feeble attempt at what the patch name could be. Not really trying to "sell it" to you as much as explain how I'm looking at it. If you want a definitive reason of why it was called what it is, you'd want to ask SE. Otherwise there's not much more than personal guesswork and interpretation to be had.

To be perfectly honest, I had completely forgotten what the patch's title was until you asked the question and I had to look up what you were talking about. It's that forgettable to me, and thus I hadn't put any thought into it until just now. So if my explanation seems rather spur of the moment... it kinda is.

EDIT: A just as spur of the moment thought - maybe it means we're at the very precipice of doing something fateful? Something that will start to swing the war in the Alliance's favor and ultimately lead to Garlemald defeat? I mean, getting Ishgard back on our side helps, but reclaiming Ala Mhigo and possibly fostering dissent in Othard might really help give the Alliance the chance to fight back against the Garlean Empire.

We're on the very edge of starting on that path that will finally put the Alliance in direct opposition and conflict with the Garleans. Or something.