Sharing some art.

• 2 weeks later...

Comparison, and concept out of boredom.....

350x400http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t501/Acistian/20130527_194330_zps813ebd38.jpg[/img]

400x350http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t501/Acistian/isato_zps6231a881.png[/img]

I am a little embarrassed about these, but hey, if anyone wants to offer some advice, its still welcomed, as long as it is constructive criticism.

Isa'to is dark toned, which is why it looks like he's grey. (With white hair and grey/silver eyes)

Critique, huh?

Well, your painted stuff looks unfortunately smudged. It's like you used the blur tool all over it, and that's bad. It has neither the clean beauty of cel-shading nor the weight that any actual texture would lend it. It basically looks as insubstantial and ill-defined as (...what do they call fairy floss...) cotton candy.

That's not to say it's all bad. The overall shape of things looks fine, apart from the obscured facial features. You've also demonstrated a reasonable understanding of lighting. Could use more practice on that, but it's serviceable enough to be a low priority for a while.

The pencil sketch, on the other hand, is actually pretty good. His hair looks like hair, with discernible strands and everything, rather than an oversized cotton wool helmet. Yes, his hair is white, but that doesn't mean there should be no definition to it. Just look at the white-haired characters in the border pictures of this very site. ;) While that arm looks unfinished, particularly the line of the bicep, the forearm has some honestly well balanced foreshortening. The face is a touch crudely rendered, but that's just something practice will fix. The neck muscles and tendons are a mess, though.

That pencil texture? Lovely. The actual shading? Woefully incomplete. But you proved you can get that part right enough in the other pic, so it's nothing to worry about.

I know this isn't giving you any specific instructions, but I don't want to be here all day before I hit Post Reply. Just take a look at the issues I pointed out, and the things you did alright with for that matter, and try to figure out why. If you want more specifics, ask specific questions and I'll try. :)

Thank you kindly for your reply. (Please excuse any typos and such, my tablet likes to type in random letters.)

The reason for the smudged look is due to an acrylic tool, but I am unsure of a... "polished" look, and honestly that gets me to think of photoshop, which I am not too... favoured of the "digital" look (I hope you know what I mean?). I've always liked traditional painting looks such as acrylics, water colors, or oil paintings, but overall, the art supplies can be very expensive in total, and I get a little irritated in wasting paper, which is why I switched to digital, and it can be a little.. awkward over pencil, especially if it doesn't have pressure sensitivity.

(Does this mean I'll get into artistry as a career? Probably not, as it is a HIGHLY competitive field, but its still a hobby I enjoy committing to.)

I do notice I try to remain to roots on both digital and paper, but I don't know if this is how I should actually be approaching them or if I should separate them, though I do notice shading is a little more complicated for me with pencil than it is with digital. 

Pencil starts from light to dark, where as I start from dark to light with digital.

Main reasons I dislike pencil is that, smudging, the pressure I place on a pencil, and the constant erasing that leaves line traces, and it just makes it look horrible to me.

It may be a sign of perfection, yes, probably, but I know I am the worst criticism I could ever get, and I know I can do better.

Anatomy, is another line, its like I can see the human body, but my hands end up drawing something out of proportion, and it can get a little frustrating - I don't understand it, anatomy is something I have always found fascinating.

Facial structure, out of all anatomy, is the face that's the most irritating for me. For some its hands and feet. I think one of my issues is making every character look different, and that  subconsciously I'm thinking of the natural off balance of the eyes. (One being smaller than the other.)

I'll be sure to ask more questions, as I do a little reflecting, but again, thank you for your generosity in sharing your opinion, I don't receive helpful critique very often and it makes me a little saddened.