First Character Help

In trying to decide a first race to roll, I have narrowed it down to Elezen Duskwight, and Miqo'te Seeker or Keeper ( I tend to like nature loving races)

Can anyone give me tips, or point me to lore links to help with my decision? Thanks :)

**Derp, I just noticed I put this in the rp dixcussion, and not the FfXIV discussion. Sorry bout that**

You can find a lot of great information about the races right on the main FFXIV page.  There is also the official lore forum which features a lot of helpful stickies about racial naming conventions and such.  Lots of great theads are posted there as well, and sometimes the devs and other players there will answer questions.  Hope this helps you get started.  If you have more specific questions, you may ask here as well.  Many of us have been immersed in all this lore all throughout 1.0 and would be happy to help offer some guidance or share what we know, especially if it will help shape your character in some way.

In trying to decide a first race to roll, I have narrowed it down to Elezen Duskwight, and Miqo'te Seeker or Keeper ( I tend to like nature loving races)

Can anyone give me tips, or point me to lore links to help with my decision? Thanks :)

**Derp, I just noticed I put this in the rp dixcussion, and not the FfXIV discussion. Sorry bout that**

Ha that sounds like me when I first discovered ARR. I would take Eva's suggestion and learn about the races.  Have an idea in mind and then maybe decide which race will fit best for you?  IDK that's what I would do personally. that's what I DID do haha :D :D 

Good luck deciding, but char development is half the fun IMO! *nod nod*

I have narrowed it down to Elezen Duskwight, and Miqo'te Seeker or Keeper ( I tend to like nature loving races)

I can't give you much but my opinion, and I won't be offended in the slightest if you don't take it. Everyone's got to do their own thing, of course.

I'm also a huge fan of nature-loving races, which is why I chose Miqo'te Seeker as my RP character initially. I switched, though, because it seemed that demographic was really overpopulated. I've always heard that Miqo'te males were very rare and preferred solitude, and yet a lot of people are playing them. Obviously, I can't tell someone "don't play that race!" because I think there are too many. I can see its appeal and I think they're awesome too. That being said, it wasn't sitting easy with me so I created an entirely new character and new story, a Dunesfolk Lalafell scientist who just had a religious experience, so that I wouldn't feel like I'm part of the problem.

If you haven't gotten it from that rant, I'm suggesting Duskwight Elezen because there aren't as many and I feel it's a lot less exposed. Don't get me wrong, Miqo'te are really awesome and I love their look, but it's just weird to me to see Miqo'te Males, who are supposedly EXTREMELY isolationist and rare to find, hanging out in groups of twenty in every tavern in Hydaelyn. Some (most) people aren't as bothered by it as I am, by a longshot, but I felt it was worth at least bringing up for consideration.

Like everyone else, I suggest looking into both choices and seeing what's best for you before deciding on anything. But there's my opinion, for what it's worth.

The answer will change depending on whether or not you're a legacy member, or whether you want to spend more or less per month. If you're a legacy member, you get a total of 8 characters per world, with a maximum of 40 characters across your entire account.

The entry fee, which is $12.99 a month, allows for one character per server, and 8 total on the account across all servers.

The standard fee, which is $14.99, allows for the same as legacy members. 8 characters per world, 40 across all servers.

The answer will change depending on whether or not you're a legacy member, or whether you want to spend more or less per month. If you're a legacy member, you get a total of 8 characters per world, with a maximum of 40 characters across your entire account.

The entry fee, which is $12.99 a month, allows for one character per server, and 8 total on the account across all servers.

The standard fee, which is $14.99, allows for the same as legacy members. 8 characters per world, 40 across all servers.

How does one become a legacy member? $2 a month is a strangely miniscule amount for 7 extra chars per server xD

And... I think I have actually settled on a Wildwood Elezen. Originally, I was turned off by them being described as arrogant, but I've always been about archers and woodsy types, so I guess I can do arrogant :P

Now... time to immerse myself into the lore...

You also don't have to go the arrogant route.  While it is a common trait that many elezen share, there is no rule that says you must abide that custom.  There appears to be a sort of negative stigma about duskwight elezen and I have enjoyed RPing in a manner that kind of defies that sort of stereotype.

I admit though, I like those who RP that sort of haughty Elezen arrogance.  :thumbsup:  Just... don't feel that it's a mandatory thing.

How does one become a legacy member? $2 a month is a strangely miniscule amount for 7 extra chars per server xD

And... I think I have actually settled on a Wildwood Elezen. Originally, I was turned off by them being described as arrogant, but I've always been about archers and woodsy types, so I guess I can do arrogant :P

Now... time to immerse myself into the lore...

Legacy status was given to those who paid for 3 months of 1.0 service between about January 2012 to September 2012. With it comes the cheaper monthly fee and a few other perks--it is no longer available to get as it was sort of a 'thanks' to those who stuck around and supported the game when it was being redesigned.

And Wildwoods are pretty sweet. :thumbsup:

I have enjoyed RPing in a manner that kind of defies that sort of stereotype.

^ I like this.

I enjoy defying my racial stereotypes as well. Abodo Po is the exact opposite of most Lalafell. He isn't cutesy, naive, or carefree. He has his own quirks, some of which are humorous, but he has a deadpan, cynical, and blunt personality and he dislikes most social interaction. I think it's going to make running into other Lalafell in RP all the more interesting. I can already see one trying to be cute and cuddly and Abodo saying "You're embarrassing yourself, and I'm embarrassed to be near you." and getting a lot of stares and frowns.

Make your character act how you want him or her to. Not every human on Earth has the same personality, so why should every Elezen in Hydaelyn?

I certainly do agree with what you all have said! Typically, I do like to be the 'outsider' of a race, one who has quite different personality from the racial norms.

However... far too often I revert to 'the super-nice character who tries to get along with everyone'.

It will be a nice challenge for me to actually try to stay a little closer to the societal norm, and to try and tackle someone who is prideful, maybe a little arrogant, prone to fits of anger when provoked; a personality flaw that needs to be worked on as my character progresses.

...of course, at some point I will probably make a white magic focused char (still getting used to the idea of this Armoury system I'm reading about) who is super nice and tries to get along with everyone >_>

Thanks for the helpful input all :thumbsup: