An experimental shift in character.

Alrighty, after taking in and studying the new information Xenedra brought to my attention, I think I've come up with the solution to my tribe issue. It took me a while to figure out, but it's extremely simple to understand, however, it won't be a short explanation. I do not believe it is over complicated, so bear with me.

Society:

Rather than having the tribes settle down in the Twelveswood, I have moved their location to a south eastern region of Coerthas. I can't say exactly where as I'm ultimately unfamiliar with that particular area, though I am familiar with Coerthas' landscape.

Before Caden was born, his father -still a young man- had separated from his original tribe, gained his own territory and formed his own tribe: Sky.

Following Ala Mhigo's destruction:

Caden's father pulled together a group of Miqo'te from other clans, mostly stragglers or what was left over from the desolation of Ala Mhigo, and created a group tribe known as a Kith. The Kith is comprised of eight separate tribes.

Instead of saying "A member of my Kith...", one would say any of the following, depending on the context of the conversation: "My Kith-kin," "A Kith-kin," "One of the Kith-kin." Or just "Kith-kin."

Some of the Miqo'te were members of the original 26 tribes, so upon finally settling in Coerthas, those tribes elected a nunh out of their ranks, if they didn't already have one, and then said nunh created a new tribe prefix.

Each tribe in the Kith has an elder that form the Tribunal council, however there is a Tribal Leader, who governs the entire Kith. Though the Tribunal holds sessions for decision making, the Tribal leader ultimately makes the final decisions. Especially when it comes to laws and unlawful behavior and punishments.

The position of Tribal leader can be passed down to the leader's chosen offspring in the event of his/her death. Otherwise, a Tribunal or a series of nunh claims and challenges occur. Female's can hold the Tribal leader position.

Inter-tribal mating is allowed, but only for single pairing. Nunh and tia habits still exist and are encouraged.

Tribes:

In light of males being able to separate from their clans and form their own, and the naming convention that goes along with it, I have created 8 different tribes for the community Caden's father formed after fleeing Ala Mhigo. Here is the list with their letter prefix and pronunciation:

• Sky: Sa - sah
  • Night: Ni - nee
  • Plains: Pa - pah
  • Wind: Wi - wee
  • Sea: Se - soeh (sew)
  • Mountain: Mu - moo
  • Raven: Rv - ruvh (roove)
  • Fire: Fr - furah (foo-rah)

Most of them are pronounced just as you see them. (the h's producing the slight hiss that most races cannot reproduce, so remain silent.) None of the sounds here are produced by the original alphabet to avoid confusion. However, for three I was forced to combine the sound for the two letters of the prefix according to the original alphabet.

Example: ruvh is a combination of ruh and vah.

Notes:

Now, I don't expect to have to explain the intricacies, if you can call them that, of this societal structure during an RP and even if I do, it will be a horribly simplified version of what is listed above.

Because Caden exiled himself from the Kith community, he no longer considers himself Kith-kin with anyone, so he would not use that colloquialism in any kind of conversation.

I don't think this sort of societal structure is too far fetched. I'm nearly 100% certain that other Miqo'te tribes do similar things. I mean, the original 26 tribes that crossed the frozen sea's to Eorzea had to have, at least in some small way, worked together as a group.

Please keep in mind, -if you come away with anything, let it be this- that this discussion topic has nothing to do with Caden himself on a personal level. I am merely trying to flesh something out for his background that is feasible so if for some un-earthly reason it comes up, I'll have continuity and firm footing. Something that isn't so far fetched that when it's brought up, other people aren't like, "Whoa, that's not possible," or "that's too far fetched."

Nothing in here will be about Caden's personality or personal traits, mannerisms, speech patterns, any distinguishing marks, how long his hair is etc. Nothing about his journey through life will be discussed here. What Caden goes through is my business.

Also note, again, that everything here is experimental. Nothing has been set in stone or implemented.

One thing that I was thinking about, and I wanted to get some input on, was this:

I was thinking about having the Night tribe be a Keeper tribe. Coerthas is mountainous and full of caves. I'm sure that whatever area in the region the community settle in there would be a good sized cave the Keeper tribe could live in. Thoughts?

Thank you again for reading.

Well if you made them Keepers you'd have a whole 'nother ball of worms to deal with, since Keepers are matriarchal, and have a lot smaller tribes, different naming conventions, etc. There's no indication that Keepers/Seekers would ever 'tribe up' together, being so culturally different.

There's not much info given on where Seekers congregate other than some living in Limsa and some in the Sagolii Desert, so if you chose Coerthas I guess at least they'd be away from the others.

I think most everything anyone is going to give you now will be based on their own personal preferences when it comes to back story more than lore/character criticisms. I for one do not need or even really like elaborate back stories, so I'd continue to discourage creating an entire tribal system like this. But if you like them, then that's great, and I know others do too--and not everyone has to like your stuff. Hell, others may even want in on it themselves. Family ties and such.

Good luck!

Well if you made them Keepers you'd have a whole 'nother ball of worms to deal with, since Keepers are matriarchal, and have a lot smaller tribes, different naming conventions, etc. There's no indication that Keepers/Seekers would ever 'tribe up' together, being so culturally different.

This is kind of interesting and it's definitely a valid point, but it got me thinking, and forgive this for only being roughly 75% of an idea because I'm exhausted right now, but I was thinking about this in the context of SE announcing that in character creation you can mix certain clan traits. Maybe this Kith tribe or whatever (I don't mean "whatever" as in "it's stupid", I mean it as in "I'm really tired and don't have the energy to go into detail") could be a mix of both clans to a certain extent and that's why they have their own rules, traditions, location, and even (if Vareal has the motivation) their own distinguishing mixed-clan physical qualities.

Excuse my bad grammar and rambling here. I'm going to pass out on my keyboard now. It's been a long day. :sleepy:

I have a horrible need to create and know in full, and believe me, that whole bit up there is bare boned compared to what I would like to do with it. I'm holding back immensely from creating more, but that's all I care to create on his back story anyway.

And I think you're right about the Keepers, it was just a thought toiling around in my brain during that whole creation process.

This is kind of interesting and it's definitely a valid point, but it got me thinking, and forgive this for only being roughly 75% of an idea because I'm exhausted right now, but I was thinking about this in the context of SE announcing that in character creation you can mix certain clan traits. Maybe this Kith tribe or whatever (I don't mean "whatever" as in "it's stupid", I mean it as in "I'm really tired and don't have the energy to go into detail") could be a mix of both clans to a certain extent and that's why they have their own rules, traditions, location, and even (if Vareal has the motivation) their own distinguishing mixed-clan physical qualities.

Excuse my bad grammar and rambling here. I'm going to pass out on my keyboard now. It's been a long day. :sleepy:

I forgot about that part of having mixed keeper and seeker traits...so it might not be too far fetched an idea...

I like your thinking Abodo! :thumbsup:

I forgot about that part of having mixed keeper and seeker traits...so it might not be too far fetched an idea...

I like your thinking Abodo! :thumbsup:

Always here to think outside the box when I'm sleep-deprived. :D

Good luck with hammering out the details of your tribe, I'm sure it'll turn out great. If you have any questions, need any opinions, or just want to share your progress with someone let me know. I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. I probably won't respond in the next eight hours though, as I'll be nestled all snug in my bed while visions of sugar plums dance in my head.

You should be able to do this yourself.

From the wiki:

1. Go to your page and make sure you are logged in

2. Click "Move" (at the top)

3. Change the name to whatever you want - I believe the dropdown box on the left should remain "(Main)"

4. Click the red "Move page" button at the bottom

Please also be aware you may also have to correct some redirects if other pages link to the old page rather than the new one.  You can click the "What links here" link at the bottom of your page first to see.  Normally it's considered good etiquette to fix broken links from others' pages as well if you do this, but you shouldn't make any other changes to others' pages than that.  :thumbsup:

Hope this helps~

From the wiki:

3. Change the name to whatever you want - I believe the dropdown box on the left should remain "(Main)"

Please also be aware you may also have to correct some redirects if other pages link to the old page rather than the new one.  You can click the "What links here" link at the bottom of your page first to see.  Normally it's considered good etiquette to fix broken links from others' pages as well if you do this, but you shouldn't make any other changes to others' pages than that.  :thumbsup:

Hope this helps~

Awesome, name change successful. Thanks Eva. :thumbsup:

From the wiki:

Hope this helps~

Awesome, name change successful. Thanks Eva. :thumbsup: