Looking for prominent open world rpers

I'm just looking to get to know those that are primarily into open world rp I know in a lot of games as of late much of the community who play Asian mmos prefer private chat roleplay and this is something I would prefer to avoid. I'd like to hook up with those who prefer rping out in the world whether its tavern,city, wilderness etc. As long as It is not hidden away from the world in private chats.

Please get back to me if this is your rp style

Call me inexperienced, but I'm not familiar with the term "open world RP". Generally speaking no one really limits where roleplay can take place (except for maybe boss battles or other places where you have to concentrate on fighting) it's just that people tend to spend most of their time where they live, and that's usually in the city.

Is there something different about what you had in mind?

If I'm getting your meaning, I think most of us here already swing toward the "open-world" style of RP. When I RP I generally do it in say/normal channels, aka everyone hears me whether they're an RPer or not. Is that what you were getting at?

I actually saw the private roleplay happen a lot in Balmung. Like seeing two or more people in uldah who I knew they were roleplaying from talking to them in /tell or linkshell chat. But they rarely talked in /say. And no, they weren't erping or something.

Hopefully this won't happen as much for ARR.

To touch on what Ronberku said; I was the same. I /did/ see a bit of open-world ("public") RP, but from what I understood, a majority of players took it to a private chat/venue because non-RPers mocked them (which is silly, considering Besaid was publically called the unofficial RP server. What'd they think they'd find?)

Anywho!

I'm fine with open-world/public roleplaying, myself. =]

I'm fine with open-world/public roleplaying, myself. =]

I guess it doesn't matter what server you go to in the end, there will always be some trying to get in the way, but my guild tend to just ignore them, as they have as much right as we do to be there. (This of course is assuming it still won't be official RP server) which makes me think it might be worth my time trying a new server~... just not sure, who knows, there is a lot to consider now a lot of info is due to flood in.

Leviathan casts info Tsunami... EEEEEP!

Another thing I'd like to add which is somewhat related to this topic. I actually hope that people will roleplay outside of that one special roleplay town hub. I've seen this happen a bit too much in FFXIV and in GW2. In FFXIV's case, it was Ul'dah where everyone seemed to linger at. GW2 had a town called Divinity's reach where everyone stuck mostly to roleplays inside of bars.

I was lucky to have found a guild that wandered from one location to the next and organized events/parties that other roleplayers joined. And honestly I prefered it way more than being stuck to the same old town/city.

I agree, I like that sort of RP stye in a guild too, my only concern is a lot of RP may happen in the Player housing Instances now. I think My Free company will use such for meetings and plans, maybe fun RPPvP training events (if possible) and the likes. Otherwise we want to RP in all sorts of locations around Eorzea (I mean look at the tour video.. WOW! :D)

Not only do I prefer open world RP. I don't do any exclusive private or group RP that is hidden. If ARR becomes over populated with these like Tera did then I won't stick around. 

I really dislike that in GW2 and other MMOs that most RP has "that one special roleplay town hub." I am a fan of experiencing the entire game and doing so while IC the entire time (with a very few exceptions.) Private group RP and RP gravitating to hubs only will ruin the RP community IMO.

While I do think some RP will happen in housing areas, I don't see housing as the problem. There should be areas where character can conduct private RP for cases of intimacy. I do think though that RPers should limit the amount of RP conducted in housing to further the community.

I think there's a lot of good reasons to RP privately in /tell or /party channels.  I know a lot of non-RPers are often put off by having RP forced upon them in busy areas.  There have been a lot of times I've formed up a party in crowded places like this as not to incur the ire of people shouting for Ifrit or whatever.  Though I have heard just as many non-RPers kind of enjoy watching some of this unfold even if they don't necessarily opt to participate, for every ten like this there is usually one who will seize the opportunity to be disruptive.  Sometimes this is easy to ignore (blacklist, etc.)  I've gotten to a point where I would just prefer not to ruffle feathers or take the chances.

Other times there may be a need for privacy.  A whispered conversation between friends.  A few RPers might be in a sort of "instance" where they're sitting at a table conversing with one another quietly.  I think it's probably fair to say that most times if any other RPer happened upon this and just politely sent a /tell asking if it was something they could get involved with, the response would be warm, if not always an open invitation.  I'm usually eager to include additional people in RP unless it's something private, and even then it's sometimes interesting when a newcomer interrupts a serious conversation.

This all being said, I generally prefer to keep my RP in /say and my emotes public.  Wherever Eva goes it will almost always be IC anyway.  There will be RP in the "open world", just as sometimes it will be behind closed doors.  I admit that much of that RP will probably take place with those most closely aligned to her, in the same LS/FC and such, but that we're also looking forward to random RP with those from other guilds and also those events which bring people together across any number of "allegiances."

There are going to be way too many awesome and unique places in which to RP that it would be a shame to limit it strictly to player housing and the same old humdrum places (i.e. Mineral Concern RP got kind of tiresome for me after awhile in 1.0).

TL;DR:  Public RP is good.  Private RP is good.  It's all RP, and RP is good!

First, I'll say that I'm 100% in favor of public RP. I'll agree that it became rare in 1.0 (though to be fair, there were only really 2 active RP shells truly still going strong at the end when the rest of the population had mostly vanished...).

That being said, we also have to realize that random RPing in front of a huge crowd of non-RPers can seem very daunting to a number of RPers (myself included even). I personally don't feel comfortable Rping in /say when there's a large non-RP crowd about (then again, I also avoid OOC chatter in /say in crowded areas xD ). One can justify it all they want by saying "well, non RPers spam /say all the time with their random chatter, so why can't we?!" That's fine and dandy, but not everyone shares that view. I personally will not RP in /say in overly crowded areas (like the adventurer's guild, etc) or in areas where there are important quest npcs people may need to talk to. That's a personal thing that I have no intention of ever changing, and I know others share that viewpoint. Though I have nothing against others who choose the opposite, so long as they don't try to force me to follow their stance on things.

RP communities tend to very naturally segregate themselves over time. There's no real avoidance of that in any larger community. At the start of any new MMO, the RP community tends to be very open and there's tons of public RP everywhere. Over time though, public RP does start to wane as many RPers start to hop over to new shiny MMOs or focus more strongly on endgame over RP. It's just the nature of the beast, like it or not :( . This is why many freelancers tend to get the short end of the stick by the time the community starts to 'settle.' True "open world RP" starts to become isolated primarily to pre-scheduled events.

In regards to the city onry RP, I do agree that some people limit themselves way too much. But I'll play devil's advocate again on this. One has to realize that most people spend the majority of their time in cities (listening to shouts, talking to quest npcs, crafting, etc). And it makes sense IC for most characters to spend more time in town than outside the city walls. Take Kylin for instance. I can't just take him out into the desert IC anytime randomly without explanation. It's just not in his character. It's the same for many characters. I can, however, justify him going for an IC stroll within the city quite easily. Thus, a lot of the RP outside cities tends to be limited to linkshell/public events moreso than random RP. This is a cross-MMO thing though, and not at all limited to just FFXIV.

Don't get me wrong. I hope to see lots of public RP. And with all the many hamlets and little spots filled with life, such a thing may come with more ease than in the past. But I also think people need to remain realistic. I'm only saying these things to try to prevent future disappointment. I want the RP community to retain as many of you guys as possible after all ;) . So I'd rather not see some people get their hopes up and get utterly disappointed several months after launch when the nature of the beast takes hold, then jump ship for some new MMO hoping that the grass is greener on the other side (it's not by the way).

I have a few MMO buddies that keep hopping from MMO to MMO, looking for that golden game/RP experience that they'll never truly find. I sometimes want to ask them "dude, do you EVER get resolutions/closure for any of the things your character does?" or "do you ever see any of your storylines to completion?" xD

Again, not trying to be a debbie downer. Nothing wrong with having high hopes. I just want people to go into things with realistic expectations. MMO communities have kind of been on the decline as of late due to community members hopping from one to the next to the next, thinking the new community will have what it seeks. So the overall MMO RP community kind of needs to realize that the grass isn't any greener anywhere else when it comes to public RP. This is a common issue across the board, and the chances of it being eliminated entirely is next to non-existent >.>

If I'm getting your meaning, I think most of us here already swing toward the "open-world" style of RP. When I RP I generally do it in say/normal channels, aka everyone hears me whether they're an RPer or not. Is that what you were getting at?

Yes pretty much rping out in the open at all times unless its conversations that are meant to be private or intimate.

I pretty much am in character 100 percent of the time and with this character I plan on being constantly on the move as he is on his quest to find out what happened to Bahamut (so he can destroy him, no matter how futile that may be). Regain his memory that he lost during Bahamut's attack (this is my ic excuse about not knowing much). I also am a ardent believer in the use of the /ignore button. I don't really pay much mind to the trolls and harassers because I'm there to entertain the rpers and non rpers who like to watch.

So this is basically like a callsign for those who would be interested in constant rp. I am also open for any storylines anyone has that may be interested in Reese's situation, same goes for any Grand Companies/Linkshells. (Though I know he is going to be a member of the Immortal Flames if possible)

First, I'll say that I'm 100% in favor of public RP. I'll agree that it became rare in 1.0 (though to be fair, there were only really 2 active RP shells truly still going strong at the end when the rest of the population had mostly vanished...).

That being said, we also have to realize that random RPing in front of a huge crowd of non-RPers can seem very daunting to a number of RPers (myself included even). I personally don't feel comfortable Rping in /say when there's a large non-RP crowd about (then again, I also avoid OOC chatter in /say in crowded areas xD ). One can justify it all they want by saying "well, non RPers spam /say all the time with their random chatter, so why can't we?!" That's fine and dandy, but not everyone shares that view. I personally will not RP in /say in overly crowded areas (like the adventurer's guild, etc) or in areas where there are important quest npcs people may need to talk to. That's a personal thing that I have no intention of ever changing, and I know others share that viewpoint. Though I have nothing against others who choose the opposite, so long as they don't try to force me to follow their stance on things.

RP communities tend to very naturally segregate themselves over time. There's no real avoidance of that in any larger community. At the start of any new MMO, the RP community tends to be very open and there's tons of public RP everywhere. Over time though, public RP does start to wane as many RPers start to hop over to new shiny MMOs or focus more strongly on endgame over RP. It's just the nature of the beast, like it or not :( . This is why many freelancers tend to get the short end of the stick by the time the community starts to 'settle.' True "open world RP" starts to become isolated primarily to pre-scheduled events.

In regards to the city onry RP, I do agree that some people limit themselves way too much. But I'll play devil's advocate again on this. One has to realize that most people spend the majority of their time in cities (listening to shouts, talking to quest npcs, crafting, etc). And it makes sense IC for most characters to spend more time in town than outside the city walls. Take Kylin for instance. I can't just take him out into the desert IC anytime randomly without explanation. It's just not in his character. It's the same for many characters. I can, however, justify him going for an IC stroll within the city quite easily. Thus, a lot of the RP outside cities tends to be limited to linkshell/public events moreso than random RP. This is a cross-MMO thing though, and not at all limited to just FFXIV.

Don't get me wrong. I hope to see lots of public RP. And with all the many hamlets and little spots filled with life, such a thing may come with more ease than in the past. But I also think people need to remain realistic. I'm only saying these things to try to prevent future disappointment. I want the RP community to retain as many of you guys as possible after all ;) . So I'd rather not see some people get their hopes up and get utterly disappointed several months after launch when the nature of the beast takes hold, then jump ship for some new MMO hoping that the grass is greener on the other side (it's not by the way).

I have a few MMO buddies that keep hopping from MMO to MMO, looking for that golden game/RP experience that they'll never truly find. I sometimes want to ask them "dude, do you EVER get resolutions/closure for any of the things your character does?" or "do you ever see any of your storylines to completion?" xD

Again, not trying to be a debbie downer. Nothing wrong with having high hopes. I just want people to go into things with realistic expectations. MMO communities have kind of been on the decline as of late due to community members hopping from one to the next to the next, thinking the new community will have what it seeks. So the overall MMO RP community kind of needs to realize that the grass isn't any greener anywhere else when it comes to public RP. This is a common issue across the board, and the chances of it being eliminated entirely is next to non-existent >.>

*nods* I definitely get everything that you are saying but I think honestly this time things may/can be different it just requires the community to stick together.

1. Never doubt the power of rping in front of those who don't. In Beta 2 I sparked some interest in those that always wanted to try but for some reason didn't. People want to make sure that they won't look silly doing things first usually (not me usually lol I'm a fool by nature when it comes to rp hell I rped out in the open during last beta test and nobody joined it. Buuut I got some interested to try)

2. Organization organization organization. Organized events, hubs, etc helps everything along. Yes I know we all don't like tavern rp, but tavern rp a lot of times leads to adventure rp. Also open world rp does not happen if YOU don't initiate it. Like I said I'm a fool so I will initiate it all the time. Otherwise it will never happen. If YOU don't make it happen it won't. If you want to see it, take charge of it and make it so, people will follow after a while when they realize that they don't have to be the first ones to get their feet wet. We are experienced rpers if we are on a site like this. There is no longer a need for us to be apprehensive in doing these things.

3. Those who are starting open world based Linkshells and Free Companies, put this into your bylines when recruiting, let people know that this is what we do, you'd be surprised in who you attract.

4. Always keep your eyes out for potential new rpers. If there is someone who constantly follows   events around but never participates, I am willing to bet that is someone who is interested but maybe too nervous to start. Drag them in, nicely of course. Most people tend to find it easy to start with social rp (which is why hubs/taverns and cities are so popular). I have gotten soo many new rpers by just being observant. I notice you lurking around an event , I start sending whispers and lead into conversations about rp. You seem open minded? Guess what? My character is going to start talking to you today. Now of course we don't want to be too aggressive, but anybody can rp their character receiving a glass of juice or a piece of candy from said event (Made by a cooking crafter of course, who is there giving out free samples!)

5. Crafters will be the most important facilitators of open world rp. Ever see the show Sword Art Online? Say I make swords and I tell Warrior1 that I can create this crazy sword from this special metal and gems that can only be found in the Pit of Fire. I recommend that he bring a party with him and I also decide to get my gear so I can go with him so I can identify the proper materials. Bingo instant world rp quest, and its set up by who? The Crafter. Be imaginative and be smart with it. Crafters should be the kings of initiating world rp. Use it to your and the community's advantage!. Also nobody will be able to pull in new folk to the fun of rp like the Crafter doing "quests for rare materials" like this. Think of the possibilities!

Either way though my character Reese Robinson will be very approachable so please speak to me whenever you see him out and about in the world. While he may be driven about his particular quest, he wants to know people because they can help him remember the world more and they may be someone he has known prior to his amnesia *winks*, *hint, hint*

5. Crafters will be the most important facilitators of open world rp. Ever see the show Sword Art Online? Say I make swords and I tell Warrior1 that I can create this crazy sword from this special metal and gems that can only be found in the Pit of Fire. I recommend that he bring a party with him and I also decide to get my gear so I can go with him so I can identify the proper materials. Bingo instant world rp quest, and its set up by who? The Crafter. Be imaginative and be smart with it. Crafters should be the kings of initiating world rp. Use it to your and the community's advantage!. Also nobody will be able to pull in new folk to the fun of rp like the Crafter doing "quests for rare materials" like this. Think of the possibilities!

Lol, you actually gave out my character's purpose down to the detail. And why I choose to go with a blacksmith background.

I've never actually role played in an mmorpg before so this all sounds pretty exciting. I can understand though how daunting it may be to role play in say with so many non role players around. I remember though when I use to play star wars the old republic a small group was doing a role play like nothing on say. I was so intrigued and followed them around for a bit but never actually joined in haha x.x

Tavern Rp can actually be really good at times, I have had about 5-8 people following me once after someone got injured icly at an rp event and my character was sent to get help. which transitioned from a city to open world and by the time my character got back there was other people there too.

There are also times its been really bad another example. My Norn in guild wars 2 killed a mighty beast (big thing for a Norn for those who dont know) and I went to celebrate icly by buying everyone drinks, yet not one single person in the tavern replied and just continued their conversation like I wasnt even there.

If the latter happend to someone who was new to RP they could be put off completly.

I tend to prefer open world rp because there is always that suprise of "What is going on" If im questing alone and someone talks me to icly I will reply.

I think I am one of those people Kylin was talking about with high expectations; I could never understand why people would rp in such tight, little groups, when to me the whole purpose of rp is to interact with your environment and this brave new world chock full of many interesting and diverse people.

What really gets me is when people segragate so often in public spaces like taverns (as illustrated in Kari's example).

I pretty much agree with everything Lanos has said; to the point I even considered making a guild in my old game called Open World, just so the point was clear.

Too often non-rpers are misrepresented as 'uninterested' when in reality, they merely have not been introduced to rp, or are interested, but have no idea how to break in. Open world would go a long way to helping many of those find their rp voice, as well as help grow the rp community.

Discouraged by the lack of open ended adventure rp, and intermingling between rp guilds, I am close at times to just giving up on rp altogether. As Kylin has said, my expectations are too high, and rp simply is what it is.

But... other times I feel it could be so much more. And just because something is hard to pull off, does not mean it is not worth trying. I will gladly open world rp with you anytime Lanos, just as soon as I am able to get into the game xD

Tavern Rp can actually be really good at times, I have had about 5-8 people following me once after someone got injured icly at an rp event and my character was sent to get help. which transitioned from a city to open world and by the time my character got back there was other people there too.

There are also times its been really bad another example. My Norn in guild wars 2 killed a mighty beast (big thing for a Norn for those who dont know) and I went to celebrate icly by buying everyone drinks, yet not one single person in the tavern replied and just continued their conversation like I wasnt even there.

If the latter happend to someone who was new to RP they could be put off completly.

I tend to prefer open world rp because there is always that suprise of "What is going on" If im questing alone and someone talks me to icly I will reply.

*Claps*

Good for you being proactive!

Now as far as the situation with your Norn did you go to celebrate in Hoelbrak or in one of the human cities? Norn would be happy, humans might be like *shrug*. But  such a situation is what could have spurred on more beerhall rp in Hoelbrak *winks*.

(My character used to "run" the Golden Sun from launch till around Februrary so I know I couldn't have been there because despite being Human Amaare would have done something for your Norn)

And thumbs up to you understanding that we aren't always going to be successful but it doesn't mean give up.

I think I am one of those people Kylin was talking about with high expectations; I could never understand why people would rp in such tight, little groups, when to me the whole purpose of rp is to interact with your environment and this brave new world chock full of many interesting and diverse people.

What really gets me is when people segragate so often in public spaces like taverns (as illustrated in Kari's example).

I pretty much agree with everything Lanos has said; to the point I even considered making a guild in my old game called Open World, just so the point was clear.

Too often non-rpers are misrepresented as 'uninterested' when in reality, they merely have not been introduced to rp, or are interested, but have no idea how to break in. Open world would go a long way to helping many of those find their rp voice, as well as help grow the rp community.

Discouraged by the lack of open ended adventure rp, and intermingling between rp guilds, I am close at times to just giving up on rp altogether. As Kylin has said, my expectations are too high, and rp simply is what it is.

But... other times I feel it could be so much more. And just because something is hard to pull off, does not mean it is not worth trying. I will gladly open world rp with you anytime Lanos, just as soon as I am able to get into the game xD

*Claps* Thank you and I think Open World makes for a great name for an adventurers Free Company *winks*