Returning players - IC Explanations

With the new xpac, a lot of people are coming back to the game and back to the RPC.  I've been leveling alts for a couple of weeks myself, familiarizing myself with how the game has changed and thinking of how to explain where Lolo got off to for all that time.

Other returners: how have you explained away/justified/Incorporated your absence IC?

in no particular order, my toon has been:

- off gallivanting with the mandervilles

- learning how to make spirit weapons from his own aetherpool to help the padjals clean out gelmorra

- getting used as a punching bag by his lalafell monk sensei

- visiting the dragons and listening to dragons be emo

- visiting the scholasticate nerds he befriended and giving them noogies

- visiting the gobbies and chilling in idyllshire

- getting suckered into training up an adventurer squadron for the immortal flames

so 95% of his time has been out somewhere innawoods, away from civilization and tavern rp. at present he divides his time between hanging out with the smol in the azim steppe, and occasionally getting called in to help beat up ivon coeurlfist.

in game story time arr -> hw -> sb are all within months of each other. having my character eschew aetheryte teleportation, except in emergencies, has given him nice weeks-long solitary periods of walking from place to place to just take in the sights, away from other adventurers/rpers

With the new xpac, a lot of people are coming back to the game and back to the RPC.  I've been leveling alts for a couple of weeks myself, familiarizing myself with how the game has changed and thinking of how to explain where Lolo got off to for all that time.

Other returners: how have you explained away/justified/Incorporated your absence IC?

You could literally be doing anything.  It really depends on the character themselves.  If they have a job, it could be work.  If they have family, something could have come up with family.  It could even be as simple as their chocobo sprained an ankle while they were in Tailfeather or some other out of the theater location.

For an added bonus, perhaps poke a few folks in your fc/group/etc and see if there's something plot wise that needed to be handled off screen.  Maybe your character was off taking care of that, and then you have a hook to get back into things?

I got bored about halfway through Heavensward and took a long break. My excuse for Hoku is that she was dealt a series of grievous injuries fighting the Dravanians alongside her fellow Dragoons, which left her unable to continue the good fight for an extended period of time.