Foggy Memory Syndrome

I feel as though it might be best to wait until we find out what happens in the 1.0 character version of the storyline before claiming anything as 100% canon.

Probably the best course of action.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel as though it might be best to wait until we find out what happens in the 1.0 character version of the storyline before claiming anything as 100% canon.

You mean like I said in the third post of the thread? Come on, people, catch up! :roll: We know that there's more to the story than what we've seen, but we do have to at least clarify what we know so far if we're going to get anywhere.

Also, what Ellie said.

You mean like I said in the third post of the thread? Come on, people, catch up!

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa

Eaaaaasy. I read your post. I just didn't need to scroll to quote Merri's.

Plus look at Merri's smile. He's downright charming.

So glad to see that Legacy characters will have different dialog for the plot. I don't want npcs to treat me like some damn noob when I survived the f'ing apocalypse.....

I resent that. :x

Didn't we all technically survive the apocalypse? Unless someone is RPing a four year old and not telling us.

Uther Abodo's UTHER'S right. ;)

Damn you changing your username right after I post to fix that I had called you Uther..

Last time was on purpose just to piss you off lol. Changing it to Uther permanently now.

The first slip up made me realize how much I hate that my username is Abodo :P

So glad to see that Legacy characters will have different dialog for the plot. I don't want npcs to treat me like some damn noob when I survived the f'ing apocalypse.....

Didn't we all technically survive the apocalypse? Unless someone is RPing a four year old and not telling us.

I'm going by the scripted storyline they're writing, not RP-story.

No worries, Uther. I was addressing it more at Merri, it's just that you were perpetuating his statements, so that seemed to be the best point to quote from.

No problem with the ideas, just that it seemed to be unnecessarily alarmist about something that had seemed to have already met with tacit approval by the general participants of the thread. It's just not something that has anything worth saying more on. Yes, we need to keep in mind that we don't know the full story, but what we do know already will never not be relevant or invalidated. It's just the speculative/fanon part that we have to be careful not to get carried away on before we see what gaps will be filled.

I'm going by the scripted storyline they're writing, not RP-story.

That's fair.

As long as you don't RP that everyone past 1.0 is an outsider with the Echo who's new in these unexplored lands. :P

No worries, Uther. I was addressing it more at Merri, it's just that you were perpetuating his statements, so that seemed to be the best point to quote from.

No problem with the ideas, just that it seemed to be unnecessarily alarmist about something that had seemed to have already met with tacit approval by the general participants of the thread. It's just not something that has anything worth saying more on. Yes, we need to keep in mind that we don't know the full story, but what we do know already will never not be relevant or invalidated. It's just the speculative/fanon part that we have to be careful not to get carried away on before we see what gaps will be filled.

Well said. I can agree to that.

So do the time skippers age?  If you were 20 at Carteneau and popped back 5 years later, would you still be 20 (physiologically), or would you be 25?

Still 20, as far as we know.

So do the time skippers age?  If you were 20 at Carteneau and popped back 5 years later, would you still be 20 (physiologically), or would you be 25?

Still 20, as far as we know.

We are "untouched by time" according to a trailer. So, no, the time-skippers did not age. I put it on my wiki as Age 19 (according to her) / 24 (according to her nameday) :P

Personally I like the effect for new players who didn't play 1.0 My character Reese is suffering from amnesia due to the Calamity, he doesn't remember anyone at all (since I didn't play 1.0). He did not time jump and was simply not around during the first fight that the Warriors of Light participated in, his time is now (he was too busy saving people, getting them out of harm's way). So this story was a great thing for me personally and the amnesia/foggy memory is such a Squaresoft trope I sometimes wonder if they invented it, lol.

My thoughts too! Except I am going to remember my hubby's character since he is gonna be part of my back story. My character remembers the very distant past but nothing recent.

I guess there would be alot of emotional stress for the time skippers too, imagine knowing someone all your life for you to return and having no idea who you are despite that you grew up or lived or fought along side with them just to have it all vanish right before you when you hear the words "Who are you?"

It's happend to me IRl once and it really didnt feel nice.

As far as we know, it's universal, but we don't know everything. In particular, we don't know what will happen when the time skippers actually return. Hold off until this weekend's beta has started and we do get some solid information on that before making plans and assumptions, please.

(Speculation is fine, though!)

There was an interaction with an NPC from the story that caught my interest. After the events are done he looks at you and goes to ask you a question like he knows you but stops himself saying "Nah, can't be." then walks off. I'm wondering if it's possible that there might be someone with the new characters too but most likely this may just be something all characters witness but what comes of it later in the story will be different for 1.0 characters and new ones.

In their own way, SE has given us a way to keep all of our associations/memories.  Whether or not you choose to RP with your char having the Echo or not (and i like the new version of it..view-only, and only triggers with certain people/events, so far), we all have been touched by the Mothercrystal in one way or another.  If you want to, those who decided not to timeskip CAN choose to RP as if you had lost the memories of those who have jumped, BUT that will be a personal choice..as it has been shown in-game that a person with the Echo DOES retain their memories of the people who jumped.  ...and technically, we all have the Echo. 

So, it's now a matter of personal choice whether or not you want YOUR character to forget those who skipped, but it does mean that IC relationships/associations/etc can still be valid between the two groups.  As a note, Miya did not jump, but she did not forget either~  :P

I'm going to post what I did over at Crystalline's discussion of this.

I don't believe that they are removing memories of people at all. My speculation (and all of this post is just speculation but who knows!) it was not anything to do with the non-timewarper's character that made them forget anything. It is the event itself. Those who were teleported were taken from this plane to another, then put back. What was done to THEM, not your character, likely is what is affecting peoples' memories of them. Again, speculation.

More speculation incoming. Just because you do not recognize or place a name to a face when you meet them again, does not mean that they have forgotten the original person.

Let me explain kind of what I'm think of all this.

Isilme's father went to the battle. She remembers her father. When he meets her again, she will not recognize his face as her father's, nor his name as her father's. That doesn't mean she's forgotten her father. He will feel familiar to her, however. Depending on the character, she may brush it off as a feeling of deja vu.. or latch onto this familiarity as something significant, and listen to him when he tells her he is her father. Because she hasn't forgotten her father, if he tells her something from her childhood that only he knows.. perhaps she will believe him and 'recognize' him again.

That's how things seem to me so far. Sans Echo-havers, though, they have no problems. xD

So I figure I’ll hop in, and try and give my own personal take on this. And I’ll state now that I’ve only done a few of the story missions, so my experience might be limited too. If you have something that says otherwise to what I think, let me know.

Now Louisoix transported those at the battle through time.This includes at the very least the GC leaders, all of whom return and everyone knows who they are. So I’d be inclined to believe that the erasure of memories isn’t tied to the time travel at all.

People know that the GCs were there, and that the adventurers fought to defend the realm.

It’s the Warriors of Light who people have forgotten.

So then, who are the Warriors of Light?

Well any PC from 1.0 is essentially the warrior of light,that’s how the story works. But as RPers, I can’t think of anyone of the top of my head who’s actually RPing as the character who's progressing down the central story of the game itself. We know of the GCs, some of us have the Echo and some might say they’ve met these key NPCs.

But we’re not the Warriors of Light. At least Remi isn’t.

Remi was at the battle, and I’m having her warped through time.How does this look to others? She’d have been missing for many years, suddenly to reappear unchanged in age or knowledge.

Amazing!

Except that’s nothing unique. There’s more than one person this has happened to. A large chunk of us, the GC leaders and likely others too. Then there would be those who claim to have been warped, who further dilute the time warping.

My thoughts on the Warriors of Light are that they’re not us. They’re adventurers who fought at the vanguard for Eorzea, and stand as a beacon to those who will follow. They’re an ideal. They’re the heroes who we played, but don’t RP as.

Remi will remember them too, as both those at the Flats recall and those who met them during their adventures do.

As for NPC reactions, to me it seems to work both ways. If you’re an original 1.0 Light Warrior or a newcomer for story purposes.

Many of the chat dialogue seems fixed from the parts I’ve seen, in Ul’dah you meet Stud-muffin Thancred. Who says “…Ah. Wait a moment. It occurs to me that we may have…” which I want to follow with “..met before” as a recollection of the Warrior of light who everyone has forgotten. There’s other similar lines throughout, even as a new character.

But it could just as easily be that he can ‘feel’ the same sort’ve presence from the PC as the previous Light Warrior. Something that I think Raubahn touches on. That you’re inherently herioic, gifted with the Echo, and touched by the mother crystal Haedalyn. As were the Light Warriors before you.

You can claim to be those light warriors, but there’s no evidence that you are, and I’m certain that many people would falsely make that same claim for personal gain.

That’s my thoughts on it, atleast.

tl;dr

The Light Warriors are forgotten. But I'm not a Light Warrior.

My thoughts on the Warriors of Light are that they’re not us. They’re adventurers who fought at the vanguard for Eorzea, and stand as a beacon to those who will follow. They’re an ideal. They’re the heroes who we played, but don’t RP as.

Remi will remember them too, as both those at the Flats recall and those who met them during their adventures do.

Except some of us did choose to go to the battle and be one of those adventurers IC, and got time-skipped. That's the point. xD Now five years later we've poofed back into existence, and people don't know what they remember of us and what they don't. We pretty much confirmed that it's only a recognition problem, not that any stay-behinds had any memories wiped of us, just based on what the NPCs have been saying. When we return we simply won't be recognizable as the people they knew right away. Bring on the fun RP!