Namazu Lore Help

Amoonia

11 hours ago, Amoonia said:

I'm having a REALLY hard time finding information on the Namazu. Could I get some links or tidbits of information that you might remember from the Stormblood expansion?

Hey Amoonia, here's what I was able to dig up on the Namazu. Hope this helps! ^^

Lyse: "When I asked Kotokaze what 'Namazu' meant, she said it was Hingan for catfish. And there I was thinking she'd said 'fisherman'!"

Namazu Card: "A beast tribe native to the Far East. Short and squat, the Namazu are nevertheless excellent swimmers, and subsist mainly on a diet of harpooned fish. Though proximity to the settlements of other races has done much to civilize these sociable creatures, a significant number of their clans yet remain wild and savage."

Gyorin: "I am a Namazu of the city, not of the wild. To cast myself into a running river is tantamount to taking my own life!"

Ochimi: "Tell me, have you met the Namazu that live in Yuzuka Manor? The manor can be found to the southwest of Namai. It was originally home to a wealthy family; however, they were murdered when the Empire attacked. These days a group of Namazu live there. They visit Namai every now and then, coming to trade fish with us. They had shown an interest in some of the trees around here, so I had thought to give them a few seedlings in return."

Gyoku: "Long ago, this manor belonged to a magistrate of Doma. Back then, we Namazu served under him. But in truth we were more friends than servants. Among us are many Namazu who are greatly interested in the doings of man. They do as they see done. Aping, mimicking. And that is what brings us to our current bit of trouble. Some Namazu have taken to man's love of tea. But as harmless as it is for man, the stimulation is too great for us Namazu. Drinking it causes us to become drunk, much like your wines and ales do to you. Tea is a lovely drink. It tingles as it goes down, and then you feel your entire body relax. Such a remarkably good feeling. No Namazu can see to work when they drink it. That is why we sought to outlaw it. But as you can imagine, that only had the opposite effect. Yes, yes."

Gyoen: "A looong time ago, longer now than it seems, Yanxia was a war-torn land. Much strife, much battle. In the midst of that conflict, one very special Namazu was approached by a great general. The general asked the Namazu to swim across the One River and deliver for him a letter of great import. The Namazu took to the water and swam his heart out. Arrows flew across the skies and fell into the river mere ilms from his barbels. Yet somehow he managed to elude death and arrive at the opposite shore. And the letter he delivered proved the key to victory for the general and his allies on the other side. With that, Yanxia was united and the nation of Doma was founded! That general was the great Ganen, the first king of Doma. But even from the throne, he did not forget his Namazu friends. To show his gratitude for our help in winning the war, he gifted our kind with a bell and named us his royal messengers. And that marked the first time any Namazu rose to such heights. That is why to this day we Namazu wear our bells with great pride and honor. See? So it is true, what I told you before. We Namazu here are quite civilized indeed."

Gyoen: "There was a kind and good-hearted artisan who crafted these bells. He would make a gift of one to every newborn Namazu on its nameday. But it pains me to say, that dear, sweet old man has passed. But our tradition must live on─for him and for us."

Gyoboku: "We are always with our bells, and we bear a strong connection with them. Indeed, if you ring a Namazu's bell near its owner, it will sound a most beautiful note."

Namazu Master: "First, look upon my fine barbels. Within these whiskers lies unbound potential. Limitless, infinite. One among them houses the gift of heightened Namazu detection. It is an ancient art among our kind, and these disciples are undergoing the rigorous training needed to become keepers of its proud tradition. The history of the art of Namazu detection is a long and storied one. Our ancestors used their talents in service of the King of Doma and his prefects to find all manner of things─water beneath the soil, veins of mineral wealth, buried treasure. "

Yagoro: "To the north of here, there lies a peculiar place called Prism Lake. There you'll find exposed deposits of high-purity crystals which, through some trick of the elements, have changed the waters into the colors of the rainbow. Well, whatever is responsible for this phenomenon seems to have also made the local Namazu uncommonly savage, making it quite impossible for me to do my job."

Zukin: "In our dealings with the Namazu, we have discovered that one of their favorite foods is the meat of the fearsome gyuki. However, the Namazu struggle to acquire said meat by themselves. Shrewd in business they may be, but adept hunters they are not. Man and Kojin alike tend to be repulsed by such pungent, sinewy fodder, but the Namazu have no such aversions."

Zukin: "The area is safe for harvesting shellfish, for the time being at least. Not only are they good for eating, but they are also used in the production of mother of pearl-inlaid pots. The Namazu gladly pay large sums for them, only to jump inside and stay there for hours on end. Why? Perhaps the kami know, but I do not."

Mister Whiskers FATE: "Namazu bandits are the slipperiest of thieves, both literally and figuratively, and while for the most part they prove bumbling and incompetent, their sheer numbers make them a real threat for solitary travelers."