New RPer - Where to find people?

Nicksy

Hey there!

I'm pretty new to RP on FFXIV and have been struggling to find people to engage with. I'm not really sure how and where to go to engage in RP (I've rped on many other MMO's but haven't done so yet on FFXIV). I've seen the Quicksand, but there's too many AFKers and OOC people there for me to really feel.. immersed and 'safe' (it feels weird, being 'watched' like that). So! Where is it I can go to find people to roleplay with? Is there an area I'm not aware of?

Edit: I'm on Balmung!

Thank you!

Edited by Nicksy

Like you mentioned, the Quicksand is usually the busiest... that doesn't mean best... place to run into people. Otherwise, there really isn't a particularly huge hub like the Quicksand. Most of the main cities have places like the Quicksand (Carline Canopy in Gridania, Drowning Wench in Limsa, Forgotten Knight in Ishgard, etc.) where you'll occasionally find people. Otherwise, you just have to look about in the world.

A good portion (I won't say most as I don't have quantifiable evidence to support it) of RP also happens in the housing areas and personal/company houses themselves.

So, honestly, in my opinion, the best way to find RP is to find a free company or linkshell that has a theme you like and see about joining them. The links are there at the top of this website and can be filtered by server. A sizable handful of those groups (like my own) attempt to do the majority of their RP out in the world in all sorts of different zones.

Edited by AedanBlacke
2 minutes ago, AedanBlacke said:

Like you mentioned, the Quicksand is usually the busiest... that doesn't mean best... place to run into people. Otherwise, there really isn't a particularly huge hub like the Quicksand. Most of the main cities have places like the Quicksand (Carline Canopy in Gridania, Drowning Wench in Limsa, Forgotten Knight in Ishgard, etc.) where you'll occasionally find people. Otherwise, you just have to look about in the world.

A good portion (I won't say most as I don't have quantifiable evidence to support it) of RP also happens in the housing areas and personal/company houses themselves.

So, honestly, in my opinion, the best way to find RP is to find a free company or linkshell that has a theme you like and see about joining them. The links are there at the top of this website and can be filtered by server.

Hi! Thank you for your quick response. Is there any free company/linkshell you could recommend? I'm fairly new to FFXIV RP, so I'm not 100% sure what theme would fit my characters the best. Is there some kind of FC or linkshell for just general RP?

Thank you!

I'm unaware of any particular FC/LS that has a "general RP" theme about it as I've not personally looked for one.

As for recommending any of the themed FCs or linkshells, I can't really do that either as it all depends on what you want out of your character, what your stance on lore would be, realism vs high fantasy stance, etc. 

There are companies listed there that are adventure-based like what you do as a player in the game (like my own). There are criminal organizations, there are entertainment troupes, taverns and inns...

So, again, I can't really, or rightly, recommend one company over another. You'll just have to figure out what type of RP you wish to get into, then look for companies that fit that theme.

Welcome to FFXIV RP scene!

I would also like to add going to events as a good opportunity to become immersed. Everyone that shows up to those events are there to RP. There are events going on every night. I would peruse here for this week's events. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Roen said:

Welcome to FFXIV RP scene!

I would also like to add going to events as a good opportunity to become immersed. Everyone that shows up to those events are there to RP. There are events going on every night. I would peruse here for this week's events. Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestion! Sorry if it's a dumb question to ask ,but how do I visit those places? Do I need to do a quest?

39 minutes ago, Roen said:

Not at all! The events have individual links to them for more info and locations. 

If the zone is open to you, you can just show up!

I have another question, if that's fine. Is there a list with european-ish times? Sadly a lot of those events are too late for me.. :(