Hello Friends!

Quellv

Wow uhh.. kinda anxious now I actually have to think about this haha

I recently came over to FFXIV after years of playing World of Warcraft at a mythic raiding level. The experience was fun but overall draining. I finally made the full transition over to FF a few days ago, and I've been very interested in getting into RP.

My RP experience is uhh.. well lacking to say the least. I have done some military RP in the past with Arma units but it was nothing too heavy.

The main point I am concerned about is my character herself. I was looking into Raen lore and how I can kind of get into the mood and feel for the character, but everything I have found says that they are supposedly incredibly rare. The last thing I want to do is come across as some sort of special snowflake type, but being lore consistent is priority number one for me. If anyone can help me find a nice starting place that doesn't involve a fantasia I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm reading the Welcome Desk template and kinda just going for it sorry if this seems all over the place 

I aim to be.. I don't know, I guess a light RPer. I already have some buddies that I am comfortable around and they said they would help me flesh out my character and really help me build an identity for them so I don't have to worry about that too much. I tend to stick with safe, "boring" characters for a lot of my ideas. Such as the current iteration of how many I have no clue anymore is just a girl who was hired by the current FC I'm in to be a housemaid for their Estate Hall in Kugane. Nothing fancy, but it's simple and doesn't run the risk of getting out of hand too quickly.

Yeah other than that I consider myself a pretty open person, so if you wonderful peoples have any questions feel free to drop them in the replies!

4 hours ago, Quellv said:

The main point I am concerned about is my character herself. I was looking into Raen lore and how I can kind of get into the mood and feel for the character, but everything I have found says that they are supposedly incredibly rare. The last thing I want to do is come across as some sort of special snowflake type, but being lore consistent is priority number one for me. If anyone can help me find a nice starting place that doesn't involve a fantasia I would greatly appreciate it.

Raen are incredibly rare in Eorzea, but not in the Far East where they are from! Most Raen have integrated themselves into the cultures of the city's they make their home, similar to the Hyuran clans. So the majority of Raen who live in Doma or Hingashi have adopted the cultures of those cities, but there are also Raen who make their homes in Othard's mountain valleys and at least one small population of them in the underwater village of Sui-no-Sato. So if lore consistency is a big priority for you, I'd look into those cities and cultures for inspiration for your Raen.

Fanfest 2018 Lore Panel - MCKF: "According to Oda-san, the Au Ra Raen are actually very central when it comes to Doman and Hingan culture. A lot of the Au Ra that live in Doma and Hingashi are of the Raen clan. They make up a great deal of those two cultures. We see a lot of it in the Ninja quests, common clan names that we hear about in HIngashi and Doma in the side quests, a lot of those are mainly Raen families. When we see anything in the game that’s talking about just kinda in general - in general Hingans are like this, in general Domans are like this - most of the time that’s actually talking about the Au Ra Raen. So that can actually be used as that lore backstory for Au Ra Raen."

That's not to say that there aren't or can't be Raen in Eorzea, it's just that they are far more recently documented arrivals to Eorzea's shores. Trade between Eorzea and the Far East only really started taking off in the last century. At any point in that last century, there could've been some Raen who came to Eorzea as merchants or refugees, etc who decided to stay in Eorzea. The biggest influx of these were the Doman refugees following the razing of Doma one year ago. 

Hope that helps!